• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 20, 2019
I really don't understand why Kimetsu no Yaiba is so popular... it's good but I don't think it is better than OP or Naruto or Slam Dunk. Never thought anything would beat peak OP though and KnY just blew right past it.

Can this game on PS4 beat One Piece Musou on PS3? Didn't think it would come close but this hype is unreal.

There are multiple reasons.

For one, the animation is incredible and the fights are incredible, the anime is prety much straigh foward. Main problem with most animes is the amount of filler.

Deleted member 32106

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
I really don't understand why Kimetsu no Yaiba is so popular... it's good but I don't think it is better than OP or Naruto or Slam Dunk. Never thought anything would beat peak OP though and KnY just blew right past it.

Can this game on PS4 beat One Piece Musou on PS3? Didn't think it would come close but this hype is unreal.
I saw KnY blew up right after Ninja tweet. Properly around chapters 14-16.

tazmin

Oct 30, 2017

Imo if it weren't for great animation, it wouldn't have the success it has. It's a good mediocre anime elevated by great animation

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Imo if it weren't for great animation, it wouldn't have the success it has. It's a good mediocre anime elevated by great animation
If great animation was the key to get that kind of success we would already know by now.

It is like saying you need to have high production values and you'll sell as much as Animal Crossing in Japan.

The source material resonated with the mainstream audience which is something hard to do (and to explain sometimes).

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
KnY is just very good in a way that attracts all demographics. It's definitely not the best manga/anime of all time, but it's definitely pretty good.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

It's a pretty straightforward action manga that manages a good balance between action and emotional impact, and happened to resonate really well with the Japanese audience, while keeping a fairly brisk pacing (meanwhile even other big series like One Piece and Naruto can get really bogged down at times). Now this means everything is rather superficial, but it's not like people are looking for more out of an action series.
Then the anime's great animation obviously elevated everything. Still, people saying it's just the animation are overlooking how UFOtable obviously can't create hits like this every time. They'd just go make original content rather than adaptations where they share their profits with other groups if it were that easy.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'd argue that the Infinity Train arc was the turning point in the series and probably one of the most beloved arc of the series.

Something about Gotoge's characters really resonates with people.
maybe i just need to get to that point because where i am in the manga (ch 79) i find the series pretty mediocre, and don't really understand why it's so popular

that said, I thought the anime was quite well done and more compelling to me than the manga (albeit i only watched a few episodes)

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
maybe i just need to get to that point because where i am in the manga (ch 79) i find the series pretty mediocre, and don't really understand why it's so popular

that said, I thought the anime was quite well done and more compelling to me than the manga (albeit i only watched a few episodes)
Uhh...I think you are passed the train arc.

tazmin

Oct 30, 2017
If great animation was the key to get that kind of success we would already know by now.

It is like saying you need to have high production values and you'll sell as much as Animal Crossing in Japan.

The source material resonated with the mainstream audience which is something hard to do (and to explain sometimes).
I get that, I guess it's a difference in cultural resonance (also I'm a jaded anime/manga consumer at this point in my life)

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
When is the game actually meant to come out?

The ideal time would have been around now, right?

tazmin

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, it shows when the Lightning kid is the most popular character in Japan but the one people in the West have the most trouble with.
I actually like him but if in the story he was removed somehow, I wouldn't be mad. Well at least there's Jujutsu Kaisen thats airing which is more up my alley

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Kimetsu no Yaiba Sales: Week 41, 2020 (Oct 05 - Oct 11)
I wonder if the Nintendo Slayer managed to sell over 100k demons this week again.

*ahem*

It's low, but I've seen games performing way worse and not getting retail releases canceled

I'm assuming it's probably due to production limitations with the global launch of the console. I can see Sony giving "small" JP games the shaft again, and not wanting to print disc if orders are too small. I'd expect a retail release at a later date (maybe when all the DLC is available).

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Harada has nothing to do with Pac-Man. It will appear at other systems later, Google payed for time exclusivity.

Ximonz

Oct 30, 2017
Taiwan

ya... One Punch Man season 1 is like THE best animation fights done... but... sob...

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy

it's a case of series blown into mainstream popularity thanks to an Anime with very high production values, something similar happened to One Punch Man a few years ago.

chibi_robo

Dec 4, 2018
From JP publishers:

- DMC 5 Special
- Neptunia

From Western publishers:

- Assassin's Creed
- NBA 2k21
- Watch Dogs Legion
- Immortals
- Call of Duty

Might miss a few

Puyo Puyo Tetris 2?

Amazon.co.jp: ぷよぷよテトリス2【予約特典】『ぷよぷよ!!クエスト』で使用できる、「【★6】アミティ ver.ぷよテト2」とゲーム内アイテムのセットが手に入るシリアルコード入りカード - PS5 : Video Games

Amazon.co.jp: ぷよぷよテトリス2【予約特典】『ぷよぷよ!!クエスト』で使用できる、「【★6】アミティ ver.ぷよテト2」とゲーム内アイテムのセットが手に入るシリアルコード入りカード - PS5 : Video Games

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Puyo Puyo Tetris 2?

I found contradictory informations about the PS5 launch of that game but yeah that's probably another one.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
it's a case of series blown into mainstream popularity thanks to an Anime with very high production values, something similar happened to One Punch Man a few years ago.

It's absolutely not comparable at all, One Punch Man got a lackluster season 2 because the anime itself didn't have a big enough success.
The manga made it to the top 10 selling series but in term of magnitude it sold 10 to 20 time less than Kimetsu no Yaiba, it's a good manga IP but not an especially hot property outside of that

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Shingeki no Kyojin is the true goat manga which deserves record breaking sales :P
tenor.gif

silpheed-mcd

Oct 27, 2017
GEO preorders

01 - [NSW/PS4] Shin Megami Tensei III Nocturne HD REMASTER
02 - [NSW] Pikmin 3
03 - [NSW] Pokemon S/S + Expansion Pass
04 - [PS4] WATCH DOGS LEGION
05 - [NSW/PS4] KAMEN RIDER: memory of heroez
06 - [PS4] Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War
07 - [PS4] Cyberpunk 2077
08 - [NSW] Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban!
09 - [NSW] Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity
10 - [PS4] Assassin's Creed: Valhalla

Ekr8YDwVkAAnf0-

EkqITFdU0AAqg3_

EjTfmwKVgAEKC1H

EhIA4QOUwAQXjcB

EjnHhjrU4AEDhAY

EjX7-QhU0AE_TFE

EkqYR5EVcAACED3

EjiRADvUcAAq0__

Ei4ycysUYAAyeG_

EkQmEO4VkAAUd0T

NEW

30 - [NSW/PS4] Yo-kai Gakuen Y ~Waiwai Gakuen Seikatsu~

Ekv9fURU0AMNZxA

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
That's a surprising Reaction considering the quality of the last 50 chapters

It's pretty much top notch and if season 4 is properly made it will be one of the highest rated anime
i stuck with it for a long time. last chapter i read was 78 because i just couldn't take anymore how stupid it had become

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
That's a surprising Reaction considering the quality of the last 50 chapters

It's pretty much top notch and if season 4 is properly made it will be one of the highest rated anime

Lol is this a joke post? Season 4? xD

I'm a huge BNHA fan and I can tell which episode gets animated from chapters. Unless Demon slayer isn't goin For 25 ep (let me kno if otherwise) Season 2 there won't be any need for a season 4

Edit: I meant it'll be done in 3 seasons. Going by the following chapters/arcs should be 3 seasons of 25ep each so nvm. But it shouldn't be 4 seasons unless it's a 12-13 ep season

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Lol is this a joke post? Season 4? xD

I'm a huge BNHA fan and I can tell which episode gets animated from chapters. Unless Demon slayer isn't goin For 25 ep (let me kno if otherwise) Season 2 there won't be any need for a season 4

Edit: I meant it'll be done in 3 seasons. Going by the following chapters/arcs should be 3 seasons of 25ep each so nvm. But it shouldn't be 4 seasons unless it's a 12-13 ep season
I think Pranay is talking about Attack on Titan here.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
This thread is giving me big FOMO with the Demon Slayer impressions :|

Haven't watched one of those rotten kids' animes in a while

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
It's absolutely not comparable at all, One Punch Man got a lackluster season 2 because the anime itself didn't have a big enough success.
The manga made it to the top 10 selling series but in term of magnitude it sold 10 to 20 time less than Kimetsu no Yaiba, it's a good manga IP but not an especially hot property outside of that

Are you sure that's how it went? I ask because I ready a story many years back about Squeenix's approach with FMA and the economics behind making the anime and its remake.

One thing they mentioned was the rise of each manga volume sold before and after each anime aired almost as if it were the barometer for success.

After the OPM anime every volume became a million-seller and it was behaving much like Demon Slayer. Refusing to leave the charts, challenging One Piece for overall series sales... Their numbers were much bigger than FMA.

I'm not sure why they didn't go with Madhouse or the same creative team, but I don't think it was because a lack of success.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
We don't have the same definition of AA clearly :P
AAA is about budget, marketing and somewhat sales. It has little to do with quality

The sales from those franchises are middle of the pack, so are the budgets and marketing campaigns. They're your run of the mill AA franchises finding moderate success in today's market.

This isn't a jab at their overall quality

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
AAA is about budget, marketing and somewhat sales. It has little to do with quality

The sales from those franchises are middle of the pack, so are the budgets and marketing campaigns. They're your run of the mill AA franchises finding moderate success in today's market.

This isn't a jab at their overall quality
I wouldn't include RE2R in the list given your requirements either. It crossed 5m units last year.