• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Mar 22, 2019
Just bought the G915 TKL Linear which is out in Australia on 27th July.

Got my Ducky One two Mecha Mini Brown Switches for working and the G915 for gaming, so feel sorted!

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
Was looking into the TKL version of this so glad to hear favorable reviews
It truly is amazing imo. I also forgot to say how it has 5 G-keys, which are pretty handy with three memory settings, so you basically have 15 G-keys.
I also love the understated looks of the keyboard. It might be a gaming keyboard, but it doesn't look gamey at all, no crazy super bright colours etc. the surface is made of brushed metal in a dark grey colour. It truly looks and feels amazing.

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
I think I'm going to take the leap and buy a ramaworks keyboard kit. Anyone here have one? I know they're pricey as hell but out of all the designs I've seen, it seems like that's the keyboard that I can see myself using for a long ass time. but I have a few questions.

if there's anyone on this board that owns one, how do they feel typing? From the reviews I've seen, they look better than they type.

also, are the keyboards one time productions or do they rerelease them? Seems like ramaworks keyboards get one limited run and then it's on to the next design. The current one on their site doesn't look as nice as their previous 65% or 60% models.
Maybe a bit late to reply but I just got my first Rama board, Rama U80-a

The first thing I'd like to warn anyone interested in Rama boards :be prepared to wait for a really long time. For reference, the u80-a's pre-order ended on July 10th, 2019 and only started shipping on July 6th, 2020 and I think they're still waiting for another batch of this board that they need to ship. This may be kind of a special case due to the pandemic but their previous boards also took a really long time from pre-order to shipping (at least 6-8 months). This is mostly due to the pre-order being unlimited and the quality of the boards.

Now for the typing. It really depends on which board, as they use various mounting methods for different boards. Koyu and m60 use integrated plate which make typing really stiff as the plate is the same piece as the case. I think u80a is the first board that use their new mounting methods: MUTE mounting. This method is similar to gasket mount in that the plate and the case don't touch each other directly. For MUTE mounting, they have this rubber layer between pcb and plate and mount them to the case using that making the typing feel softer. They typically have video breakdown about each board mounting methods and assembly you can check out.

Most of their boards are one time production. Though sometimes there will be special edition release later (like m60 with special color). Typically they will release revisions of their boards later like m65-a then m65-b, etc. They can be very similar or very different depending on the releases. There will also be extras after they shipped all the pre-orders though so be on the look out for that as you can get those shipped immediately.

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe a bit late to reply but I just got my first Rama board, Rama U80-a

The first thing I'd like to warn anyone interested in Rama boards :be prepared to wait for a really long time. For reference, the u80-a's pre-order ended on July 10th, 2019 and only started shipping on July 6th, 2020 and I think they're still waiting for another batch of this board that they need to ship. This may be kind of a special case due to the pandemic but their previous boards also took a really long time from pre-order to shipping (at least 6-8 months). This is mostly due to the pre-order being unlimited and the quality of the boards.

Now for the typing. It really depends on which board, as they use various mounting methods for different boards. Koyu and m60 use integrated plate which make typing really stiff as the plate is the same piece as the case. I think u80a is the first board that use their new mounting methods: MUTE mounting. This method is similar to gasket mount in that the plate and the case don't touch each other directly. For MUTE mounting, they have this rubber layer between pcb and plate and mount them to the case using that making the typing feel softer. They typically have video breakdown about each board mounting methods and assembly you can check out.

Most of their boards are one time production. Though sometimes there will be special edition release later (like m60 with special color). Typically they will release revisions of their boards later like m65-a then m65-b, etc. They can be very similar or very different depending on the releases. There will also be extras after they shipped all the pre-orders though so be on the look out for that as you can get those shipped immediately.

Thanks! A whole year? That's crazy. I was hoping to have it by six months. Is there a good resource or switch tester? I know about cherry Mx's but i don't know anything about the other switches which seem to be just as good if not better from what I'm reading.

Zissou

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks! A whole year? That's crazy. I was hoping to have it by six months. Is there a good resource or switch tester? I know about cherry Mx's but i don't know anything about the other switches which seem to be just as good if not better from what I'm reading.

KBDfans makes a 72 switch tester, but it's sold out at the moment. Most enthusiasts prefer other brands to Cherry these days. I like linear switches, so I have more experience with those, but for that type of switch, there's no reason to go Cherry at this point. Gateron linears are better and cheaper, and more expensive options are even better than that. Do you know what type of switch you're looking for (linear vs. tactile vs. clicky)?

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
KBDfans makes a 72 switch tester, but it's sold out at the moment. Most enthusiasts prefer other brands to Cherry these days. I like linear switches, so I have more experience with those, but for that type of switch, there's no reason to go Cherry at this point. Gateron linears are better and cheaper, and more expensive options are even better than that. Do you know what type of switch you're looking for (linear vs. tactile vs. clicky)?

My current keyboard is a CM MX blue from like 2015, but I'm looking for a linear switch this time around as it'll be more for gaming. I absolutely love the clicky feeling of blues but the consensus about how it's not optimal for gaming is true. I remember struggling hard with playing invoker in DOTA2 on my MX blues, so much so that I stopped playing him. Acoustics wise, I want to hear that buttery "thok" sound (something similar to this.). I dunno what would be the ideal actuation force for me but I tend to bottom out when I type anyways so I'm not sure it would matter that much.

Also if you lube your switches, is that a one time thing or will it have to be done often?

Zissou

Oct 26, 2017
My current keyboard is a CM MX blue from like 2015, but I'm looking for a linear switch this time around as it'll be more for gaming. I absolutely love the clicky feeling of blues but the consensus about how it's not optimal for gaming is true. I remember struggling hard with playing invoker in DOTA2 on my MX blues, so much so that I stopped playing him. Acoustics wise, I want to hear that buttery "thok" sound (something similar to this.). I dunno what would be the ideal actuation force for me but I tend to bottom out when I type anyways so I'm not sure it would matter that much.

Also if you lube your switches, is that a one time thing or will it have to be done often?

Lubing lasts a long time (I honestly haven't heard of people having to relube switches, so seems like the lifespan of the lube is months, if not years). When it comes to linears these days, I think the general consensus (which I agree with) is that if you're on a budget, Gateron linears (~25 cents per switch) are the best choice (people are especially fond of yellows, for the spring weight). If you want to upgrade, linears manufactured JWK are the way to go (usually around ~60 cents per switch). The different recolors have their own names, but the most common/widely known are Alpacas. They're not in stock anywhere, but are actually going to be restocked tomorrow at primekb at 11 a.m., central time, so if that's what you want, your timing is perfect, haha. Springs are cheap and you can always spring swap later, so actuation force can be a secondary concern (as opposed to smoothness/sound).

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
What are your thought on the Zealios V2's? And typically what's the budget range on switches... like is a buck a switch highest of high end?

Zissou

Oct 26, 2017
What are your thought on the Zealios V2's? And typically what's the budget range on switches... like is a buck a switch highest of high end?

Zeal switches are some of the most expensive switches there are which are still in production (of course, there is older/vintage stuff that's super pricey, but that's kind of outside the scope of this discussion). My personal experience: I have the 72 switch KDBfans tester, the KBDfans Zeal switches tester, and I own some Silent Alpacas. Both Testers actually have V2 Tealios. The Tealio on the 72 switch tester is scratchy (noticeably worse than a Gateron yellow), while the Tealio on the Zeal tester is very nice/smooth. My understanding is inconsistencies in scratchiness comes from not retooling the switch molds frequently enough. Given this, it seems like a huge gamble to buy Tealios and pay $1/switch, given you might end up with a bad batch. Apparently JWK molds are retooled more frequently, and are therefore much more consistent from batch to batch.

edit: budget is obviously a personal thing, haha. You could always buy a tester and see for yourself if you think the extra money for a given switch is worth it.

Last edited:

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
I've used Zealios v2 67g for the past year before I switch to linear switches. They're great for a time but nowadays newer and cheaper switches are just as good.

If you're looking for tactiles:

Holy Panda - actually started as a frankenstein switch from halo stems and invyr panda housing so the cost can be higher than $1 per switch but now you can find them on Drop for $1 per switch or cheaper if you buy more. Super tactiles and sound very unique.

Zealios - also very tactile but a bit different from holy panda. $1 per switch. They're expensive but you can't really go wrong with this.

T1 - I think it's pretty similar to Zealios but way cheaper. $0.55 per switch.

Moyu black - just throw this here in case you manage to find it. I think they're are only available in china for now. They're like holy panda but cheaper from what I've heard.

For linear:

There're some premium high-end ones like Tealios or Vintage cherry black that are $1 or more but these days JWK switches are so good and cheap it's hard to recommend those premium ones. They're generally around 0.50 per switch. Gateron Ink Blacks are also great though a bit more expensive at around 0.70 per switch.

edit: I heard Novelkeys new Silk series that should is releasing soon are linears from JWK factory and come pre-lubed with 205g0 (which is the lube many people prefer for linear switches). I'm not 100% sure though and the quality of factory lube is hit or miss so I can't really recommend this until they are actually released and reviewed.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Just ordered a Logitech K840 for work. I know it's not the best, or even considered that good...but it was the only mechanical I could choose. It will be much better than my HP membrane keyboard. The new one has the logitech equivalent of Cherry MX Browns.

Rufio

Oct 27, 2017
Just bought a G915 TKL Tactile as my first mechanical.

It was between that and the K95.

Hopefully i like how it feels/sounds/looks.

Ive only used old school logitech stuff since forever.

Mar 22, 2019
Just caved and pre-ordered from Drop the High Profile Alt in black with MX Browns; expensive but i need a hobby and this looks like a great starting point.

MechanicalKeyboard-Era, what do i need now to properly mod this? Never done it before but screw it, seems like fun!

Where do i buy switches and keycaps and what tools etc?

Oct 27, 2017
Just caved and pre-ordered from Drop the High Profile Alt in black with MX Browns; expensive but i need a hobby and this looks like a great starting point.

MechanicalKeyboard-Era, what do i need now to properly mod this? Never done it before but screw it, seems like fun!

Depends on how deep down the rabbit hole you want to go. All keyboards are going to feature the same basic components. That includes a case, PCB, plate (optional in some builds), switches, stabilizers, and keycaps. Other popular tools would be things like a keycap puller, switch puller, miniature screwdriver set, and possibly a switch opener.

Typically people who start getting interested in tinkering with their keyboards will tune their switches and stabilizers by lubricating them. Other popular mods can include things like foam to deaden the sound your space bar makes, or reduce the hollow "ping" or echo you can get with aluminum cases.

If you're ordering within the US you can order from shops like NovelKeys, 1UP Keyboards, or even Drop for parts like switches, stabilizers, etc. If you don't mind shipping from China KBDFans is another big one. Keycaps will depend on if you want an in stock item or if you're willing to wait for a group buy, and there are a plethora of different vendors to order from. If you are interested in group buys, it's a good idea to lurk something like MechGroupBuys to see if anything might be coming up on the horizon that you want to go for (or to regret missing out on).

May 15, 2018
So I'm looking to dip my toe into this world. I've never used a mechanical keyboard before but a few things I think I would like are:
1) Not too loud...so from what I understand, I should avoid blue switches.
2) I'm not going to use it for gaming...I think I would prefer brown switches the most, avoiding the loudness of blue switches while still having some tactile feedback.
3) RGB and TKL...don't need numpad.
4) A wrist pad would be nice.

With these in mind, I've sort of focused my attention on Cooler Master MK730. Any thoughts on these?

ipgApDaOJfVj1ssa.jpg

Cooler Master MK730 Tenkeyless Gaming Mechanical Keyboard with Brown Switches, Cherry MX, RGB Per-Key Lighting and Removable Wrist Rest: Amazon.ca: Computers & Tablets

Cooler Master MK730 Tenkeyless Gaming Mechanical Keyboard with Brown Switches, Cherry MX, RGB Per-Key Lighting and Removable Wrist Rest: Amazon.ca: Computers & Tablets

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
With these in mind, I've sort of focused my attention on Cooler Master MK730. Any thoughts on these?
I don't know too much about the Cooler Master MK730 specifically, but my first mechanical was a Cooler Master Quickfire with Cherry brown switches and it was decent enough. Another you could look at is the Ducky One 2, as it's gotten pretty good reviews. You'd need to buy a wrist rest separately though.
How do I buy caps for Corsair K70? I hate the font on it, but I see it's a weird spacing for some reason.
It'll be difficult to fully replace the keycaps on the K70 because of it's odd 6.5 unit sized space bar, if you buy a kit make sure it comes with one included (they're pretty rare). If that's a no go, you could also look at buying a single space bar from something like Signature Plastics, just make sure you're getting it in the right keycap profile.
Are these the JWK linear switches that are good?
Consensus on the JWK linear switches (e.g. Alpacas, Mauves, H1s, etc) is that they're pretty smooth stock. Bear in mind that the description on these says that they don't come with any factory lube meaning you'd have to apply your own. You could also try and grab some of the Dry or Silk JWK switches available on NovelKeys right now.

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind applying lube...If I'm going to buy an endgame keyboard might as well put in the work. I'll think about picking these up tonight. Just kinda don't like the color even though that's something you'll never see underneath the keycaps.

piratecap

Oct 27, 2017
I'm also new to this with mechanical keyboards. Is Varmilon a good brand for a beginner? They have such nice designs/colors to their keyboards, and i hear they're pretty good quality wise? Looking for a TKL form with RGB lighting. This lubing thing, is it easy to do? Do Varmilon come "pre-lubed"? Are all Varmilon caps made from the plastic type that don't wear out? Don't know the terminology behind that.

Zissou

Oct 26, 2017
I'm also new to this with mechanical keyboards. Is Varmilon a good brand for a beginner? They have such nice designs/colors to their keyboards, and i hear they're pretty good quality wise? Looking for a TKL form with RGB lighting. This lubing thing, is it easy to do? Do Varmilon come "pre-lubed"? Are all Varmilon caps made from the plastic type that don't wear out? Don't know the terminology behind that.

1. Varmilo keyboards have a good overall reputation.
  2. To lube keys, you have to remove them from the keyboard. AFAIK, Varmilo keyboard keys are soldered in, so you'd have to disassemble the keyboard and desolder the keys in order to lube them. The key stabilizers likely come with some amount of lube on them already though. That being said, if you're just starting out, you can probably safely ignore lubing.
  3. I believe Varmilo keycaps are dye-subbed, so the legends won't fade over time. Both dye-subbed and doubleshot keycaps shouldn't have issues with legends fading.

piratecap

Oct 27, 2017
  1. Varmilo keyboards have a good overall reputation.
  2. To lube keys, you have to remove them from the keyboard. AFAIK, Varmilo keyboard keys are soldered in, so you'd have to disassemble the keyboard and desolder the keys in order to lube them. The key stabilizers likely come with some amount of lube on them already though. That being said, if you're just starting out, you can probably safely ignore lubing.
  3. I believe Varmilo keycaps are dye-subbed, so the legends won't fade over time. Both dye-subbed and doubleshot keycaps shouldn't have issues with legends fading.
Thanks alot! Put in an order for:

Varmilo VA88M RGBK MX Silent Red

So excited. Haven't used a mechanical keyboard since i was a child in the 80's.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017

TheSaddestSort covered everything well, but with this particular keyboard (I have a Drop CTRL), the highest-value thing you can do to start is to mod the stabilizers. The one's that come with the ALT and CTRL are known to be pretty poor and rattle a lot. You can pop off the keycaps and switches for the stabilized keys, and then pull out the stabilizers without disassembling the rest of the board. (See the following video for a related keyboard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AstfRUuIjOw) At that point, you can clip and lube the stock stabilizers (plenty of tutorials online), or replace them with better ones that you've also clipped and lubed. No harm in modding the stock stabs first and see if that's sufficient, though genuine Cherry or GMK plate-mount stabs will be an improvement over what it comes with.

After that, next mod would be about whether you are interested in aesthetic changes, or sound/feel changes. For the former, you can look at new keycaps or even artisan keycaps. For the latter, you can look into alternative switches and switch lubing to enhance sound and feel.

Also don't overlook the ability to configure the board with custom firmware that adds different key mappings and whatnot.

SayemAhmd

Unshakable Resolve
Dec 3, 2019
Looking for some recommendations, if possible. I've taken a good look around but there seems to be a strange lack of decently priced "all-rounders".

Currently using a Royal Kludge RK61 with (s0me kind of) Red Switches. I am a big typist, so 6 months down the line I am looking to replace it with something that is probably 60-75% size, wireless, uses brown switches and maaaaaaybe has some sort of RGB. I've had a look at the Drevo Blademaster Pro, which seems to fit what I am after, but I was just wondering if there were any better options out there that don't completely break the bank. (Looking at you, G915TKL)

Fox318

Oct 25, 2017
Man I need to pickup a PCB, case, and lube.

I have some SA keykaps, 110 Holy Pantds switches unlubed and I need to put them in something

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
My gmk analog dreams just got shipped today, and I'm seeing my candybar2 as "packing" under status. Need to lube up the tangerines and equalz stabs before they both get here. Getting excited now.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The incoming shipment with my preorder keeps getting delayed over at mechanical keyboards. It's not that big of a deal, really, but it's funny how every day it gets pushed back another day.

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
box jades back in stock at novelkeys, been waiting so long.

i brought box browns while i waited for i could use my bare board, i hated them at first (ive been using cherry blues for like the past 4 years) but now i kinda love them, but jades sound so freakin amazing on my tester.

Last edited:

Viken

Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I like the look of my drop ctrl since I swapped to the almost black faceplate and changed some of the keycaps:

NuWXfZB.jpg

Next I want to change are the switches. I have browns on them now but I'm bored of them.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
thekey.company

Bamboo Keyboard Kit

Bamboo is a mechanical keyboard like you have never seen before. It's designed to be easily used on the go, with an interchangeable plastic shell, small layout, and slim 1.9cm thickness. It features an optimized 4x13 layout which requires just 2 layers to operate, unlike other 40 percent’s which...

Cute

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
I kinda hate how these youtube reviews for custom boards show off what essentially you can no longer pick up anymore.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Yall know if any ISO layout (nordic, preferably) keyboards exist with the silent topre switches?

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
I kinda hate how these youtube reviews for custom boards show off what essentially you can no longer pick up anymore.
They can't really do anything about it because the way these board are sold. As these designers are just enthusiasts, not some big company, most of the time it's not feasible to make prototypes to send to these reviewers. There are some big names in the community who can but reviewers mostly just join the group buys they think are interesting, wait for the production to finish (which may take more than a year in some cases) before they get their hands on the board then they can review it.

Or in some case, buy from aftermarket for $$$