• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
Hopefully Trump's abuse of power with law enforcement overshadows this unemployment recovery.

I expect the apolitical protestors to turnout against Trump.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
The problem with ignoring how a lot of the rise in unemployment was basically fake because of temporary furloughs is now the fake job growth is harder to call out as fake

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm glad we're all back to work after the pandemic has ended.

...Oh, we had 21,000 new cases yesterday? Over 900 dead from it yesterday? We're at the numbers we were in March when everyone was freaking out?

I guess die for the economy, working class!

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad we're all back to work after the pandemic has ended.

...Oh, we had 21,000 new cases yesterday? Over 900 dead from it yesterday? We're at the numbers we were in March when everyone was freaking out?

I guess die for the economy, working class!

This is the answer. The jobs are back and the rich are just going to live off of the dead poor working class. I can't imagine with information on super spreaders and the protests that we won't be an equal if not even larger spike than we first had very soon. I also suspect numbers will continue to be incorrectly accounted for as testing is still not quickly freely and widely available.

TLDR We'll all die while the 1% get's to feed on the working class.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
It's good that furloughed people are getting back to work, but isn't that really all this is? These aren't new jobs, we still lost millions of those that aren't coming back. The country was pushed to reopen despite the disease still spreading, and a bunch of people lucky enough to have their jobs stuck in a holding pattern are back. Also, as always with unemployment numbers, people who give up looking for work aren't considered "unemployed."

We're cheering while still having depression-level unemployment and we have no idea what the economy will even look like with all the businesses that tanked entirely during this.

I know a lot of you are trying to be even-keeled on this sort of stuff, but now is really not the time to get behind the Trump Administration's framing of things.

Don't see how they expected job losses to increase when states are reopening.

Those predictions holding during a month marked by widespread re-openings is pretty suspect. Almost like they wanted a way to sell people on depression-level numbers. To make the re-opening seem like a massive success rather than a minor shuffling of conditions.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure why this is that surprising, so many people were furloughed and encouraged to file for unemployment, the reopening of states was sure to reverse a huge amount of that

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo
A majority of this is due to people being called back due to furlough (like me)

A majority of those call backs are coming back to a reduced salary (like me)

Economy is back!

Mas what a situation... But the stockmarket does not care....

Edit:

TL:DR The unemployment rate is actually as expected, Labour dept "made a mistake" and rigged the numbers, ignoring 5 million unemployed, but they will not correct the report because "fear of the appearance of political manipulation"

Stocks are going up based on a completely false report.

Last edited:

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This is such a monumental misprediction.

I am glad more people are able to provide for their families, and hope they are safe doing so. However, I'm not looking forward to Trump gloating on this.
This is what I'm wondering, how did this turn into such a massive mis prediction?

A majority of this is due to people being called back due to furlough (like me)

A majority of those call backs are coming back to a reduced salary (like me)

Economy is back!

I'm assuming pay will go back to normal by EOY presuming corona doesn't continue to decimate everything in its path. But that's a real shame for people that are coming back at reduced pay like yourself.

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
The Washington Post with that quick 180:
capture3shkg6.png

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
So, wouldn't a round of stimulus checks make even more sense now that businesses are actually reopened and there are places to spend money at, but still lots of unemployed people and people reluctant to spend money in a time of economic uncertainty?

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, they literally changed the approximation model during the middle of the pandemic? How exactly can you compare last month's numbers to this months when the base parameters have changed?

1EhJzwI.png

If I am reading this correctly, in the old model, it would have counted may as 207k new businesses but this new model now counts 345k?

While this might be a better statistical approach (no idea), kinda cynical about the timing.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
lmao so their move was even shadier than I accused it of being above. Of course. The Trump Administration lives to fleece the market with bullshit at every opportunity.

infamous5445

Dec 3, 2019
I'm confused, so the expected rate of 19 percent is right, it's just the Labor Department made a "mistake"?

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
What we're seeing is corporations and politicians asking working class people to lay down and die for those numbers.

The cost of a lower unemployment rate will be paid in the flesh and blood of working people.

Do not forget that.

Yes fuck his administration.

Put my gf who's a nurse at risk with his shitty Coronavirus response at the beginning and now with the ridiculous Economy reopening.

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City

I for one am shocked.

Gotta love the whole "we don't wanna seem political....but the completely BS number we gave ended up being political....whoopsie daisy! ;)"

The correction doesn't matter, that first number is all that will be used. The narrative has been set, and the real number will be buried. Personally I think it was all calculated and done on purpose.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, not revising the mistake makes them look completely non-political, for sure! Nope, no manipulation going on here!

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
I for one am shocked.

Gotta love the whole "we don't wanna seem political....but the completely BS number we gave ended up being political....whoopsie daisy! ;)"

The correction doesn't matter, that first number is all that will be used. The narrative has been set, and the real number will be buried. Personally I think it was all calculated and done on purpose.

Imagine being 20% off with your "estimate" and going to your boss. I don't want to seem political, but we may have undershoot considerable by a few million people

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You know your government's corrupt when even the BLS is engaging in market manipulation

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
Oh wow! This should probably be threadmarked. This looks like a staged PR job by the government.
Does it? I just took it as the the Washington Post being very confident in the predictions of a near 20 percent unemployment that they pre-wrote their article and released it before the job numbers were officially released.

Publications sometime write articles ahead of time so there's nothing heinous (I think) behind it...just thought it was funny.

Last edited:

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
So can we mark the title as misleading now that it's 100% confirmed that this is straight up number-bending propaganda?

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense to put out the false numbers because the retractions tend to not get as noticed.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

GenericUser

Banned
Jun 4, 2020
Lol what a joke.

a ton of big companies are doing significant layoffs in July as well. I know a few in the bay that are doing 20% layoffs that have been planned for.

kess

Oct 27, 2017
The misrepresentation seems thread worthy, if anyone can explain it in detail.

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
The misrepresentation seems thread worthy, if anyone can explain it in detail.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/06/05/unemployment-rate-wrong/
What the heck happened?
In short, give some credit to the government relief efforts, especially the Paycheck Protection Program, for bringing back jobs. The program gave relief to small businesses (and a few larger ones, triggering public outcry) through loans that would not have to be paid back if most of the money went to rehire and pay employees. PPP money had to be used right away, and a lot of it started hitting small businesses' bank accounts in late April and early May, which ended up triggering a net gain of 2.5 million jobs in May, the Labor Department reported. Many economists expected the PPP would be a big factor in June, but it turns out the impact was sizable in May.

There's been a lot of hubbub about the fact that the BLS admitted there was a "misclassification error." In a special note at the bottom of the jobs report, the BLS said the May unemployment rate would be about 16.3 percent, coming after an April unemployment rate of more than 19 percent, if this error hadn't happened. So what was it? In short, some people who weren't working were classified as employed, but absent from work for "other reasons."

This "other reason" category is normally used for people on vacation, serving jury duty or taking leave to care for a child or relative. But in this unusual pandemic circumstance, the "other reason" category got applied to some people sitting at home and waiting to be called back.

The same thing happened in April, which would have added nearly another five percentage points to the 14.7 percent unemployment rate, the agency said. The issue is the unemployment rate comes from a survey where people are asked a) if they are working and b) if they are not working, why not? Since the pandemic is such an unusual situation, many people told the surveyors that they were laid off for "other reasons" -- i.e. the pandemic.

BLS does not like to change people's answers, because they don't want to tamper with the data. Whether you look at the official unemployment or the amended unemployment rate, the bottom line remains: Unemployment is still high, but it went down slightly in May.

Last edited:

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
There is something fishy about these numbers....

So small businesses are hiring people back so they don't have to repay the government loans.

Are these hire-backs guaranteed? Do employers have to keep them employed for set minimum amount of time?

Could they be let go again next year?