• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Scott is far too nice to do that
Scott has been known to do a passive aggressive call out from time time

Matpat's most infamous mistake is giving the pope a usb drive with Undertale on it

And the sea of Sans videos

Thats cool, he's still more known for fnaf stuff and i think the stuff that occupies the higher viewership on his channel. Im just saying if mat owes anyone a piggybacking credit, its scott. Fnaf was/is insanely huge and grew channels almost instantaneously for years. Game theory was one of em

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Scott has been known to do a passive aggressive call out from time time

Thats cool, he's still more known for fnaf stuff and i think the stuff that occupies the higher viewership on his channel. Im just saying if mat owes anyone a piggybacking credit, its scott. Fnaf was/is insanely huge and grew channels almost instantaneously for years. Game theory was one of em
This isn't an all or nothing deal. he owes his success to both, and many more. Just because more vids are made of Fnaf does not make scott more worthy of his apologies than anyone else.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
No hate in this post, but I would call your attention to the following:

"There are only so many ways to cite a legal document".

"In general, we have a slate of subject-matter experts..."

Mentioning "other videos" described as mainstream media without linking specific sources

These are far from convincing responses. Apparently none of these consulting lawyers or subject-matter experts he brought on board were available to help him craft a better response that this. Presumably he is paying them to provide more robust content for his channel.

And he is worried most about his comment not being pinned.
I agree.
He should have responded to the accusers behind the scenes. I know public opinion matters in his line of work (and in general), but that's a weak response and the generalizations make him sound guilty imo.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Oh look, it's a lawyer trying to get some promo. The stuff from Matpats video has been repeated ad nauseum on _various_ other channels and websites as well, his explanation seems believable and honestly come on, there's only so many things to say about legalities of copyrighted dance moves. It even was on Era multiple times iirc, almost verbatim at parts. I'm of the opinion that implying he made the video in that one week of Eagle's publication from finding it, using all material, creating the content, graphics, video material, recording, editing, proofing and uploading would be quite the achievement for Matpat.

I have no issue with GameTheory so far, I don't know where Eras hate boner for the channel stems from, but I'm really hesitant to just swallow everything a random youtube lawyer is proclaiming, especially for this specific topic.

Also this seems to be intentionally ignored, so there's that

IDK man, sometimes it's fine to let the pitchforks rest for a hot second. I don't think at all this is a case of plagiarization, and I'm completely against plagiarizing. It's just way too unreasonable to believe it and there's way too many explanations for why it isn't, including his own one.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
I liked his early video with dumb theories but interesting subject/math, like the hookshot of Zelda

Now his content are taking themselves way too seriously imo

I got into GameTheory on stuff like this, it was harmless stuff. Then he got the FNAF clicks and started pulling from theories all over the place. This ended up making his videos into distillations of content which now are 1) boring af 2.) forced humor 3.) now legally being questioned as plagiarism.

MatPat tasted the golden fruit and never stepped back to realize what was going on.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
FsoOM0V.png

I want to see them. If you were getting consultations from lawyers, you'd have e-mails with the specific things asked that then went into your video. These would be time stamped. It's literally THE thing that would prove you didn't steal from LegalEagle.

Last edited:

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I only will say this as I dont have any beef with matpat, but the last thing I watched was the smash ultimate adventure mode theory and I watched because i thought it was going to be something fun, about how light and dark are always needed and one cant live with the other and what I found was a video that treated a stupid fun crossover story like if Sakurai was mistreated by nintendo, and most insulting the parts of iwata, taking the interviews of 2 very good friends just telling things that happened in game development completely out of context.
The sheer idiocy and stupidity, and worst of all how insulting was to real people, of that video was out of the charts.

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
FsoOM0V.png

I want to see them. If you were getting consultations from lawyers, you'd have e-mails with the specific things asked that then went into your video. These would be time stamped. It's literally THE thing that would prove you didn't steal LegalEagle.
My professors would rip him a new for using "other videos analyzing this case," as a source. It's lazy and assumes the watcher/reader that they already know about this.

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Inflammatory drive-by posting
IDK man, sometimes it's fine to let the pitchforks rest for a hot second.

Oh boy, if you were hoping for any sort of reasoned consideration about one of the many YouTube channels ERA has it in for then you're in for a world of disappointment my friend.

I love threads like these, it just reminds me that life is far too short to let stuff like this eat away at me like it obviously does for so many here.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
Wow, it's almost like Matpat is a piece of shit with awful taste in humor who can't make interesting content without ripping off other people.

But that's just a theory...!

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
I have never watched a single matpat video and i feel like when youtubers reference his tagline theyre laughing at him for the dumb shit he spews out.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
All I can really say is that it's an Era thread alright. If it's anyone they dislike at all (including all Youtubers by default), they're already sharpening the guillotine halfway through the headline.

If MatPat has the proof he claims then it's a done deal.

I agree.
He should have responded to the accusers behind the scenes. I know public opinion matters in his line of work (and in general), but that's a weak response and the generalizations make him sound guilty imo.
If the accusation is deliberately made in the most public way possible, I don't see why he shouldn't defend himself publicly as well. Also, I don't really see why people are demanding him to go into specifics in a Youtube comment.

Iacomus

Dec 26, 2018
Not been a good week for MatPat huh? It's like the protective vail of YouTube is slowly disappearing for him

Anyway from Mat's response it seems that his video was drafted much earlier then LegalEagle and he also seeked Legal Advice for the evidence. When you talk to Lawyers they sort of speak the same, quote the same cases and don't change words, except for experiences (like how one of the two dance moves was mentioned).

While I do believe that LegalEagle does have weight to his argument, Mat could easily disprove this by showing him the draft date, recording date, and also get him in contact with the lawyer. The problem is this is YouTube where its just drama of small channel vs big channel.

Got Danny

Nov 8, 2017
His YouTube comment response seems believeable to me. Should have been included in the OP

Side note: why are ppl so quick to judge on this forum?

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like Legal Eagle a lot, so I'm happy to see him get more attention, even if it's from something dumb like this. Since he -is- a lawyer, and not a full time YouTuber, I don't think he really realized he was wading into some bullshit YouTuber drama by posting this video. But I'm sure he'll be fine.

That tweet by MatPat is ridiculous, since Legal Eagle actually DID pin his comment less than two hours after it was posted. Some people have lives off the internet -- a successful trial lawyer would be one of those people.

Whether MatPat actually plagiarized this video or not is almost irrelevant, he seems to be accumulating a history of being overly-defensive, the tweet about wanting the comment pinned ASAP comes across as childish, and the last paragraph of his response comes across as overly condescending.

The lawyer is a youtuber
As a hobby. Opposed to MatPat who uses it as his primary profession.

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
I like Legal Eagle a lot, so I'm happy to see him get more attention, even if it's from something dumb like this. Since he -is- a lawyer, and not a full time YouTuber, I don't think he really realized he was wading into some bullshit YouTuber drama by posting this video. But I'm sure he'll be fine.

That tweet by MatPat is ridiculous, since Legal Eagle actually DID pin his comment less than two hours after it was posted. Some people have lives off the internet -- a successful trial lawyer would be one of those people.

Whether MatPat actually plagiarized this video or not is almost irrelevant, he seems to be accumulating a history of being overly-defensive, the tweet about wanting the comment pinned ASAP comes across as childish, and the last paragraph of his response comes across as overly condescending.

As a hobby. Opposed to MatPat who uses it as his primary profession.
To be fair, Matpat has dealt with a rather insane amount of harassment over the past couple of years. He was overly defensive yesterday as well when he got called out for one of his streams not linking to the game they were playing. I think hes overly defensive because of how much hes been attacked over his theories or when he gave the Pope Undertale. He gets an ungodly amount of hate for things that are just not even remotely warranted. I think he just naturally gets defensive when anyone brings up stuff against him because of that even when its valid concern of criticism and tbh I can't blame him for that, its easy to just feel automatically attacked whenever something happens related to you after you've dealt with as much anger and harassment as he has.

Not trying to excuse some of the things hes done poorly (like his original reaction yesterday) but trying to rationalize why he responds the way he does because I understand it all to well.

Thatonedice1

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Working on that also.
Hey I just want to say I might be biased before posting this because I watch LegalEagle more now a day then MatPat because Game Theory just isn't my cup of tea anymore but I got to agree with the lawyer. The thing that convinces me that MatPat copied here is that the arguments is the same. When doing legal research coming up with the same sources can indeed be common but the are using the sources in the same way. They both site one source to lay context for an argument that individual dance steps can't be copy righted but whole dance arrangements can. And that all those individual dances put together make something copy rightable. The idea that MatPat could come up with the exact same argument while doing is own legal research is... Unlikely. Just my opinion though. I'm not a lawyer but I've taken a couple of legal undergrad classes and have a BA in polisci with a focus in administrative law.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
I wonderd if that trending name was this guy. I didn't quite mesh with his way of trying to use the scientific method to try and make up trivia from fictional media but it entertained the kids so it was some entertainment for his viewers.
It seemed pretty obvious that he looks at other people's work for his videos,this time really not caring about giving credit or masking it in his own style. I saw some people looking up to this guy's craftmanship as a youtuber i guess i don't really have to respect the hustle if it goes down like this.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He also seals tweets from small users (that image was made on photoshop and isn't a screenshot)

Also many of his FNAF images were stolen from various users as well

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Matpat's most infamous mistake is giving the pope a usb drive with Undertale on it

And the sea of Sans videos
I still don't get the massive hate on him for this and doing a theory on Sans.

1. Him giving the pope a copy of Undertale is so freaking harmless. Like, who is getting hurt by that? It's not as if the Pope actually played it if you fear the Pope getting into Undertale for some reason. It's no reason for countless people to constantly harass and give him hate for it.

2. Something that I don't think people tend to realize is that these videos are usually entertainment first and actual theory second. A good number of these videos shouldn't be taken seriously. Some like Petshop should, or maybe the ones where's he tackling the lore of a game like FNAF, but a theory about Sans being a dead Ness from Earthbound? I always took it as one of his fun, but totally implausible theories. Yet anytime the video gets mentioned in the Undertale community, it's just massive amounts of hate on the dude. I get not being a fan of the video, maybe it's far to out there for people even for entertainment purposes. However, the amount of vile hate for the dude because of it is weird as hell.

The whole point of Undertale is about loving your fellow person. It's the symbolic reason why Mat gave a copy to the pope at all. Yet, despite Undertales's message, the community does nothing but point toxicity towards the dude for doing two things that are super harmless. Not liking him is fine, even I have problems with his lack of sources in videos that lead to issues like this thread topic. However if he actually did something harmful in these two Understale related acts, please let me know, but hating the dude to the point that he actually makes a part of a video dedicated to it is freaking bizarre.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yo dawg I heard people plagiarized some shit. So I plagiarized a video about plagiarism...

Seriously though... how the fuck you gonna try plagiarize a copyright lawyer? lol

Last edited:

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The tragic thing is that youtube is most likely to flag this video as a copyritgh infringiment, since it has excepts of matt video than to flag mat video as infrigiment for suing legaleagle video.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
H to the Usky Husky is still around? wut

First I've heard of him since I stopped following SC2 like 7 years ago.
He literally vanished from the Starcraft scene overnight to do reality shows, and last year he also did a pretty shady thing by deleting his entire SC2 channel to effectively remove any trace of the very content that made a name for him. You can probably see why Jesse had that burst, and why nobody else in the SC2 scene even talked about him.

data

Oct 25, 2017
That's ridiculous that they don't link to the game.

It's a small gesture if anything.