• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
The designs overall are just bland. I mean, this is their design for Hank Pym:

avengers-ant-man-580x334.jpg

Now he's out of costume, and the narrative might play into his look (with 5 years of the Avengers disbanded). But that's still Hank Pym, in a scene, in the game. It's an uninspired look for even a down-and-out casual wear Ant-Man.

They really need to settle on a design for Cole McGrath. This is getting out of hand.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine they modeled Captain America's face from yours and thousands of fans complained about it. Lol.

Oct 27, 2017
Don't know what is stronger. My dislike for the bargain bin design or my respect for the devs not giving in to backlash.

The reason why developers don't want to rework characters is because they would have to go back to the concept stage and redo a lot of work (time and money, the deadline doesn't change).

If there was a magical button to fix characters over a week or two, they would have done that already.

Sangetsu-II

Oct 26, 2017
Can someone give me visual examples of what people are hating on with the face designs or costumes. They look good to me.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I think going for the photorealistic style was a mistake. The MCU characters are so firmly associated with the likenesses of their actors, that this kind of falls into a sort of uncanny valley.

They shoulda gone full comic animation, something like Spiderverse.

This is where I'm at but Spider-Man PS4 came out just fine with photorealism. I the art direction here as a whole is on the blander side.

I also like that Insomniac stuck by their bold Spider-Man design regardless of endless internet bitching. Hoping the costumes in this game kick ass lol.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
I think most look okay. The only issues I have is Stark's long hair and Captain America's voice...after being used to their MCU looks for so long. I'll get used to them

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They wont change the design because its not that simple. They have to pay for likenesses to fix the problem people have.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At least that means they're not going the Anthem route of wanting to make the game "unmemeable". Because some of their character design are most definitely gonna produce a lot of memes

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
This is where I'm at but Spider-Man PS4 came out just fine with photorealism. I the art direction here as a whole is on the blander side.

I also like that Insomniac stuck by their bold Spider-Man design regardless of endless internet bitching. Hoping the costumes in this game kick ass lol.
I'm not saying it won't have the potential to be a good game, I'm just saying that the initial reaction is the expected one, just like with Insomniac's Spidey Suit.

Having said that, at least that game had options for the classic Spider-Man costume. Do you think this one will have options for MCU faces?

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see/expect them do...I mean...this ISN'T the MCU characters. My only complain is they DID look kinda generic, especially how hush hush and hyped this game is supposed to be and Marvel being all gung go on games quality and all that...I was expecting character facial models similar to DMC5 or Injustice 2/MK11

Most of the complaints I was seen weren't that these guys don't look exactly like their MCU counterparts, it's that they seem to adhere to this weird "almost MCU but not" design. Those movie characters are so iconic I think they would have been better served going drastically in another direction. Insomniac's Spider-man design is probably divisive, but at the very least the white spider and accents make it distinct.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that they tried to make them look like the MCU while also "trying" not to.
This nails the problem exactly. They started off the presentation even stating they were doing their own take on beloved characters. Except they basically took the MCU and goobered it up. If they have gone completely opposite of the MCU then it would not be so badly noticeable

JCreasy

Oct 27, 2017
"The trailer is showing pre-alpha gameplay footage, which means the level of detail and overall polish of the character models will absolutely continue to improve as we get closer to launch," Escayg explained.

if-you-say-so.gif

Hmm. Ok. The overall design direction and execution is lousy and looks chintzy af but go off I guess . . .

bobbychalkers

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not mad at their decision, I would never wish crunch on any team. The game will sell regardless due to the IP attached to it. I just wish that they didn't set themselves up to be directly compared to the MCU. They were never going to win that fight. Insomniac was smart to give their own spin on Spiderman's design and MUA3 went with the comic book route.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
This nails the problem exactly. They started off the presentation even stating they were doing their own take on beloved characters. Except they basically took the MCU and goobered it up. If they have gone completely opposite of the MCU then it would not be so badly noticeable
Nobody mistook Peter in SMPS4 as Store Brand Tom Holland. It was a clearly different design. Everything about this looks like they were told mid way through rendering that they didn't clear the licenses to use the actors' faces.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I knew they had a problem when Black Twitter was going in, video game twitter and Black twitter never cross streams unless it is serious.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
The designs overall are just bland. I mean, this is their design for Hank Pym:

avengers-ant-man-580x334.jpg

Now he's out of costume, and the narrative might play into his look (with 5 years of the Avengers disbanded). But that's still Hank Pym, in a scene, in the game. It's an uninspired look for even a down-and-out casual wear Ant-Man.
How can you not use his Rover Era design
4045598-8532833375-tumbl.jpg

CNoodles

Banned
Mar 7, 2019
Thats too bad considering the faces in this game are fugly as shit. Don't even get me started on that Iron Man helmet.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
are they scanning real people for these faces? the faces remind of early 2010s fictional faces, completely bland and symmetrical, lacking any kind of imperfections/idiosyncrasies you'd expect from a human face.

960x0.jpg

mojo

Oct 25, 2017
I booted up injustice 2 after seeing the trailer for this and it's crazy how neatheralm got even the most obscure characters to look good while doing their own thing. Yet these dudes have cap looking like someone's out of shape dad who painted his old riot gear for Halloween.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

it also doesn't help that what little they showed of the tone and narrative seem so similar to the last two Avengers movies, one of which just came out in theaters a few months ago and has been seen by about 97 billion people. You are just inviting the comparisons at that point.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
So bad! They look bloated for some reason and super generic and a clear knock off of the mcu. Spiderman did such a better job.

This is YOUR game crystal, should of started from scratch with the design. Such a weird position to take

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
are they scanning real people for these faces? the faces remind of early 2010s fictional faces, completely bland and symmetrical, lacking any kind of imperfections/idiosyncrasies you'd expect from a human face.

960x0.jpg
Haha, I see what you mean. They look like CGI characters from an opening cinematic for an old game.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I'm not saying it won't have the potential to be a good game, I'm just saying that the initial reaction is the expected one, just like with Insomniac's Spidey Suit.

Having said that, at least that game had options for the classic Spider-Man costume. Do you think this one will have options for MCU faces?

Not a chance, I'd love that however, and I'd love to be wrong lol.

The reason Cap honestly looks as bad as he does is because photorealistic Cap is Chris Evans in my mind lol. Also, if they got the likeness of MCU without the voices it would be extra weird, for some.

natestellar

Sep 16, 2018
With the exception of Bruce Banner, all of them look weird. Something is not right with the designs, its a mixture of face and costume.

Hope they fix them because the complaints will only get stronger.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Wtf. Don't they know that it's 2019 and communities decide how to design your games?!

With the exception of Bruce Banner, all of them look weird. Something is not right with the designs, its a mixture of face and costume.

Hope they fix them because the complaints will only get stronger.

Fixing them is not necessarily going to soften the complaints.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

960x0.jpg

They look like CGI cutscene models from a 2009 game, yeah. That's part of the problem. Black Widow as a character just looks like she was designed to be in CGI cutscenes.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

960x0.jpg

This is a good point as well. I couldn't put my finger on what about this game was reminding me of a last gen title, i mean obviously it looks far better overall than PS3/360 games, I was thinking it was the seemingly excessive DoF or blur effects, but something about the models looked like "NPCs" and I think you hit the nail on the head as to why. We've seen such a massive improvement in modeling faces, stuff like the photogrammetry and facial scanning, that allows models to really display all of the kinds of "imperfections" or features that really make faces distinct.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I've already adjusted, they look fine. Sure new costumes (that will be sold for real money I bet) will look cool. Kinda wish they went with a more animated look but sure real sells better. Really looking forward to this game.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Ultimate Alliance 3 looks so much better with its character designs it's not even funny.