• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
Nope, only 50 devs at EM assisted CD with Avengers

The other 480+ were working on Tomb Raider and GOTG

June 2018

www.mcvuk.com

How Avengers and Tomb Raider maintain Eidos Montreal's status as the shining jewel of the region - MCV/DEVELOP

Eidos Montreal has crafted a fantastic legacy for itself during its 11 year history. We speak to studio head David Anfossi about the company’s future roadmap, development process and how its partnership with Marvel on the Avengers project fits into all that.

That leaves a good bit for GotG, but I was talking about the last two years when Tomb Raider was released and it became clear that Avengers was a disaster in need of saving (though obviously the saving didn't go great if Avengers looks like it will get a 62 on Metacritic)

MrAlderson

Apr 19, 2018
Nope, only 50 devs at EM assisted CD with Avengers

The other 480+ were working on Tomb Raider and GOTG

June 2018

www.mcvuk.com

How Avengers and Tomb Raider maintain Eidos Montreal's status as the shining jewel of the region - MCV/DEVELOP

Eidos Montreal has crafted a fantastic legacy for itself during its 11 year history. We speak to studio head David Anfossi about the company’s future roadmap, development process and how its partnership with Marvel on the Avengers project fits into all that.
GOTG = guardians of the galaxy? They're still working on that?

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
That's going to be a game-killer and it is going to kill the game, or the game is going to change. I don't see how they plan to run a loot-game that's supposed to run multiple years with seasonal content and not have some kind of reward to players that go for all the rarities.

Is it though? I mean I feel like games have a transmog and tons of people use it to make their characters look a certain way anyways. I mean don't get me wrong it might be a downer for some, but if most people didn't use transmog it wouldn't be in so many games

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
lmfao

thanks for your impressions, holding out hope for when I play myself soon
Like I said in that thread, I think going in with the right frame of reference helps a lot. I really don't think anyone should go in expecting a lot of impressive single-player content. That doesn't appear to be the focus, nor is what's there all that well-designed. But the bite-sized multiplayer missions where you go in with three friends and wreck up some robots in a lab is a fun little thing where everyone can talk about their day or talk about comics they like while pressing some buttons and occasionally fighting a larger enemy.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
That leaves a good bit for GotG, but I was talking about the last two years when Tomb Raider was released and it became clear that Avengers was a disaster in need of saving (though obviously the saving didn't go great if Avengers looks like it will get a 62 on Metacritic)

Avengers was developed by Crystal Dynamics, 50 devs at EM, Nixxes and a Square Enix Japan studio.

It's a 4 studio collaboration.

Technesis

Apr 13, 2019
Not sure why they are talking about matchmaking when they had early access in which a small amount of people were playing.

Oct 26, 2017
Still, they didn't move all 500+ EM employees on Avengers.

Even if they didn't, I'm still curious to know if they make GotG as Avengers looks like it turned out bad, the loot grind genre is extremely tired at this point, and GotG seems like a terrible IP to use for a loot grind game.

Avengers will obviously sell well but any Avengers game would have.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Not sure why they are talking about matchmaking when they had early access in which a small amount of people were playing.
fzmmh0I.png

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
This would be the same Destiny that had people asking for a transmog system since the first game came out and people celebrated when Bungie finally gave in and announced they would be adding one, correct?

Like I don't think there's ever a game that has ever done satisfying "loot affects your appearance", because it ultimately runs into the problem of either:

A) Everything looks good from the get go. Your artists hate you for making them go all out on a bajillion different items, and the expense involved here means I genuinely can't think of a game that actually does this.

B) You do the standard MMO thing of having a grading scale of quality, with lower tier equipment being relatively shabby (and cheap to do) and higher tier equipment looking good and high quality.

This ends up like every other game that has ever done this, where people eventually just ask for a transmog system because it turns out in stat heavy RPG-like games, people will generally always do this:

And will be always be in a state of annoyance that they have to choose between actually looking good and being an effective combatant, until the day of a transmog system arrives.

I know the pain. I was so embarrassed to wear these leg armor in FFXI, but it was the best I had access to for so long. No transmog for that game was the worst, I don't know what was Square Enix's fascination with subligar.

vrEn8O4.jpg

Oct 24, 2019
Does this dude ever like anything? I don't know him but everytime I see a tweet of his he's always complaining.

Regardless of his opinions on things, the way he phrases things always rubs me the wrong way. Very snarky and precious all the time.

He seems like a good guy in general, but I just struggle to listen whenever he's on KindaFunny shows

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks) - Trolling & Hostility across numerous posts
Regardless of his opinions on things, the way he phrases things always rubs me the wrong way. Very snarky and precious all the time.

He seems like a good guy in general, but I just struggle to listen whenever he's on KindaFunny shows

He seems like a very nice person.

Last edited:

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, it's almost like this game should've been more heavily marketed from the very beginning as a multiplayer GaaS Destiny clone because that's what it actually is, instead of faffing around for 8 months trying to make it look like a AAA single-player adventure game.

Don't mind me, just going to sit here feeling validated over shit I've been saying into a void for at least a year.

As much as this is totally true, at the end of the day why??!

Why the fuck would SE market their big AAA GaaS Destiny-like as a traditional AAA single player title when it isn't one?
And the thing is it's not like Destiny-likes are unpopular after all!

yeahwrite

Apr 17, 2020
The loot not being a visible change is super disappointing.
I feel like this is always a problem with superhero games with loot (it's not a big deal in games like Spider-Man or the Arkham series). You want to make sure all the iconic costumes are in there, but you also want to have tons of loot. So what do you do? Well the Marvel games seem to think the best answer is to detach the loot from the costumes, usually through something goofy like ISO-8. But incremental upgrades just aren't as fun when they're invisible crystals with tiny stat bumps (like in Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3).

Injustice 2 is the only one I think of that pulled it off. That game offered all kinds of loot that let you transform the roster in myriad ways with like a zillion different pieces, each of which you could recolor. And that was a fighting game, something that never has loot.

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The matchmaking sounds like Warframes? Sooo, not really a thing to worry about unless player base falls off a cliff after launch and you're still playing?

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
If you know it's a beta thing then why continue to go on and say matchmaking seems terrible when you know only the media is playing it ?
Because it wasn't that I couldn't find anyone, it's that the main method of matchmaking in that beta was to hope other people were on the incredibly specific same screen I was on.

You're assuming this is a problem with length of time for some reason, I'm saying the concept of how it works is bad. If they plan to change that in the final release, it was not communicated and I can only really go on what was playable.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
The matchmaking sounds like Warframes? Sooo, not really a thing to worry about unless player base falls off a cliff after launch and you're still playing?
I actually like Warframe's so that's good to hear. I guess the alternative is doing random missions that you probably don't want to do?

MrAlderson

Apr 19, 2018
Like I said in that thread, I think going in with the right frame of reference helps a lot. I really don't think anyone should go in expecting a lot of impressive single-player content. That doesn't appear to be the focus, nor is what's there all that well-designed. But the bite-sized multiplayer missions where you go in with three friends and wreck up some robots in a lab is a fun little thing where everyone can talk about their day or talk about comics they like while pressing some buttons and occasionally fighting a larger enemy.
Do you happen to play a lot of loot based Gaas types? If so how did you feel about the loot? If the loot and combat are ok i can look past all the exclusive bullshit

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Do you happen to play a lot of loot based Gaas types? If so how did you feel about the loot? If the loot and combat are ok i can look past all the exclusive bullshit
I play a few. I mostly did not think about the loot outside of elemental differences (i.e. if you're facing enemies with cold guns, you use an anti-cold armor). There's a button to just optimize your equipment, which is primarily what I did.

The fact that it didn't really reflect on the character at all didn't really get me to invest in the difference between an Epic Lightning Insignia vs. a Rare one. It optimized to the better one.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a fun game with friends and a podcast game, basically what I was expecting/hoping.

That'll do donkey, that'll do.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I just feel like we already know the end-game is backhandedly going to be all about these purchasable extra costumes, the same way Destiny 2 is secretly all about the Eververse.

I can't tell if you're kidding or not haha. I don't think Destiny is about the Eververse and I don't think this game's endgame is going to be about the purchasing of extra costumes lol

It's the issue I have with a lot of games licensing Disney properties. They're so strict with how they can be represented that it makes them feel so locked down. Battlefront II had the same issue where they were super strict about costumes and visuals. Previous Marvel games have the same thing, no visuals for loot only pre-set costumes.

It almost makes me wish they'd use the Avengers setting but create new characters that the studio can really have freedom with, but that'd kill a big draw of the game for people which is getting to play as the characters they like. The way Disney is strict on it makes Marvel stuff a bad fit for a loot game imo.
We'd probably get something like that crappy x-men game again
X-men-destiny-cover-890x1024.jpg

No one comes to a licensed game to play a created character. You want to play your favorite. I'll take this version of Avengers than the one where I create some nobody.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Sounds exactly like I expected it to be sadly.

This game would have made an awesome action / adventure style game, like Spider-Man PS4 but making it a GAAS Loot game makes it so disappointing, especially when the results are very mixed.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seems like the worse criticism of the beta so far is that it doesn't have enough singleplayer content. Which is great because, well, it's a beta, and the full game should have a fully fleshed story campaign. I'm happy there'll be an open beta to see the mechanics for myself, but I'm getting really interested in this game.

Technesis

Apr 13, 2019
We'd probably get something like that crappy x-men game again
X-men-destiny-cover-890x1024.jpg

No one comes to a licensed game to play a created character. You want to play your favorite. I'll take this version of Avengers than the one where I create some nobody.
I say it depends on the game. DC Universe Online did a good job with character creation but its an MMO so its not quite the same.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I just feel like we already know the end-game is backhandedly going to be all about these purchasable extra costumes, the same way Destiny 2 is secretly all about the Eververse.

Everyone knows destiny is all about bounties at the moment lol. They have gotten better with eververse, even took out stuff from it to add back into the game this season. Let's see how long that lasts.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like the worse criticism of the beta so far is that it doesn't have enough singleplayer content. Which is great because, well, it's a beta, and the full game should have a fully fleshed story campaign. I'm happy there'll be an open beta to see the mechanics for myself, but I'm getting really interested in this game.

Remember when the first Destiny beta came out and it had that entire Cosmodrone as the playable area? And then when it was released people complained that there aaNt more content?

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Every time a loot based MP game is previewed, it's as if it's the previewers first loot based mp game.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Every time a loot based MP game is previewed, it's as if it's the previewers first loot based mp game.
There is a bit of that, and expecting matchmaking to be 100% when there's only media and the usual test users populating seems weird, that's why lots of outlets don't review multiplayer aspects of some games until after release, 'cause they know they can't reliably obtain the intended experience.

There's the thing where playing in a beta doesn't have you approach the game as you would if you were for real grinding away on your own characters for keeps, instead they're throwaway test versions that'll be gone into the void as soon as you quit out. It's gotta be hard to get a true feel for the actual game loop and how compelling it might be.

I say it depends on the game. DC Universe Online did a good job with character creation but its an MMO so its not quite the same.
Yeah I had fun with DC online. For some reason it works cause I know I want to be a Green Lantern so my nobody works. In the Marvel world, I don't want to be a Spider-Man or Iron Man. I wanna be Tony, Miles or Peter. Crazy right?

Mandalorian

Alt account
Banned
Jun 18, 2020
Because it wasn't that I couldn't find anyone, it's that the main method of matchmaking in that beta was to hope other people were on the incredibly specific same screen I was on.

You're assuming this is a problem with length of time for some reason, I'm saying the concept of how it works is bad. If they plan to change that in the final release, it was not communicated and I can only really go on what was playable.

Maybe I'm not getting the right context, but why would they change this? I mean, I doubt there was more than 1k press keys for the early beta, isn't expected that the matchmaking wouldn't work well at this point? Saying that the matchmaking is terrible with caps on based on impressions of a not public beta does seem exceedingly nitpicky to me, to not say extreme.

If anything, I'm kinda worried they are giving too much away with the single player content. I'd be fine if all we got was the A-Day bridge tutorial. Do we know how long the story campaign is?

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly what I want from this game. Thanks for sharing!

Quellyford

Banned
May 16, 2020
People get aggressive when the excitement they have for something isn't shared by others, especially by media members. Alannah Pearce made a great video about this, where she said she was terrified to tell people Mass Effect Andromeda was going to be bad after her early impressions. People take it personally.

Now look in this thread, Imran giving EARLY IMPRESSIONS which are overall "meh" and some people can't deal with it.

Anyway, appreciate your work as also Imran, all the best.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Maybe I'm not getting the right context, but why would they change this? I mean, I doubt there was more than 1k press keys for the early beta, isn't expected that the matchmaking wouldn't work well at this point? Saying that the matchmaking is terrible with caps on based on impressions of a not public beta does seem exceedingly nitpicky to me, to not say extreme.
Missions all have power ranges. There should be matchmaking options for things like "Show me everyone looking for players in this power range." The best there is an option to find people who are playing a single character, but there doesn't seem to be any for finding people looking for the character you want to play.

It's easier to go find a random hunt in Monster Hunter World than it is to match with people in Avengers and not just because of a low population due to the beta, but because the searching tools for matchmaking aren't really there.

If this doesn't bother you, fine! I'm not causing you physical harm by saying it bothers me.