• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit, they fucking nailed that ending. Jonathan Majors completely nailed his performance as Kang/Immortus, and despite being exposition-heavy, the visuals and Majors' performance kept the train going hard.

Honestly, this is probably the best way to introduce Kang before he shows up in Ant-Man 3. Bravo. Just... Bravo.

Also, fucking Miss Minutes with the jumpscare. Marvel, you ballsy fuckers, you did a jumpscare with a cartoon anthropormophic clock.

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
I didn't think this finale stuck the landing so well. It was a lot of talking dancing around the thing that we all knew was going to happen, so it was just waiting and waiting and waiting for them to get on with it, and then we get barely any time with the fallout before it just ended, and that's it. A whole lot of nothing after sitting through multiple episodes of whole lots of nothing.

I wish we could have gotten more time with the aftermath. Sylvie killing Kang could have happened at the end of Episode 5, because there's *a lot* you could trim out of 3, 4, and 5, to help this show get to the point.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

you are, and it's shocking you're struggling with this as much as you are.

The Loki in the show isn't MCU Loki.

He's a variant of MCU loki who only diverged in the last 5 years or so of his life. Avengers 1 happens in 2011. Infinity War is 2016.

He didn't think of this because he hasn't lived any of the experiences that would have lead him to think of this. he was pruned before IW, before Ragnorak, before Dark World, before all of the events that would have lead him to beef up on his magic.

Ok...we'll take it very slowly. MCU Loki was *a thousand years old* by the time Avengers 1 happens. He's already as skilled at sorcery as he's ever going to be. Both the Avengers movies AND the Loki TV series make it clear that he learned the sorcery he knows from his mother who dies during Thor 2. Loki learns absolutely no new magic during the years Variant Loki missed out on- he spends it either in a prison cell (Thor 2), impersonating Odin while letting the 9 realms go to hell (Between Thor 2 and 3) or hanging out with the Grandmaster currying favor (Thor 3).

There are no "events to beef up his magic" that occur on screen during this period. Even if your argument is "well, that happened offscreen" you would need to believe that he got drastically better at sorcery in the last 5 years of his life with no one to teach him than he did in the previous 1000 years of his life when his teacher (his mother) was alive and well. This is laughably implausible.

Yes, classic loki is thousands of years older, wiser , and more experienced than the shows Loki- which is which is why he was able to tell the shows Loki about the things he didn't get to experience... including the fact that reliance of dangers stunts progression with sorcery.

Classic Loki spent his life in total isolation after the Thanos incident, and wouldn't have been able to learn anything new either- only practice what he ALREADY learned. He says straight out that the illusion he cast was extremely detailed, which was only possible because HIS sorcery wasn't stunted because he never relied on daggers- which MCU Loki did all the time. The implication being that Classic Loki was a better sorcerer and capable of fooling Thanos. MCU Loki was not. Sylvie is even farther behind both (with the one exception of enchantment) because she never learned magic from her mother.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
This was fantastic. The ending credits are so well done aswell. The next dream movie could be Secret Wars and pull in every big actor they have ever had across all the different versions.

odiin

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe people seriously thought the big reveal was just going to be another Loki variant. That would have been so unsatisfying.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Sooo in the beginning Loki says "We have a hulk."

We gonna get Loki leading the avengers vs Kang in a redux of battle of NYC?
I noticed that too. I had subs on and it had Loki saying that and I thought it was a mistake at first. S2 might show a reality where Loki does something like that.

Edit:

That's just his line from the beginning of Infinity War.
Nevermind, I completely forgot about this.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
This was explained. He Who Remains ended the multiversal war by having Alioth consume time and space and eliminate all the variants that caused that war. The timeline has been isolated. There's no way to "transport" them back there because those variants and those events were obliterated by Alioth.

I mean, come on. He literally gives them a presentation with a magic orb he can control to do whatever he wants. He is as close to an omniscient being we've seen in this universe. Are you seriously telling me you can't thinkof a single possible way these writers could have transported them there, even as part of an illusion? In the show that just made them travel not only through time but also to the end of time that was hiding inside of a big smoke monster?

They make the rules themselves. You can't argue for why something couldn't have been done by the writers with the rules the writers themselves established shortly before. They could just as easily have this godlike construct a, I don't know, seperate timeline consisting of only the war that only he has access to, one that he returns to every few decades to remind him what he is fighting for/against. Maybe he has a big room full of the stuff that the magic powerpoint ball is made of, one where he puts the heroes so they can see these events first hand, whatever. There's an infinite amount of possibilities.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I mean, come on. He literally gives them a presentation with a magic orb he can control to do whatever he wants. He is as close to an omniscient being we've seen in this universe. Are you seriously telling me you can't thinkof a single possible way these writers could have transported them there, even as part of an illusion? In the show that just made them travel not only through time but also to the end of time that was hiding inside of a big smoke monster?

uh..no? and the show explains why? The alternate Kangs had to be eliminated to prevent multiversal war. They no longer existed, and hadn't existed for eons. Their timelines weren't "in the past" somewhere, they were obliterated by Alioth.

Showing the war as an illusion isn't any better than telling the Lokis about it- in both cases it's a recreation of events from the perspective of someone they don't/can't trust. It's not actually any better, so what does this solve, other than to satisfy viewers who get bored by talking?

They make the rules themselves. You can't argue for why something couldn't have been done by the writers with the rules the writers themselves established shortly before. They could just as easily have this godlike construct a, I don't know, seperate timeline consisting only the war that only he has access to, one that he returns to every few decades to remind him what he is fighting for/against. Maybe he has a big room full of the stuff that the magic powerpoint ball is made of, one where he puts the heroes so they can see these events first hand, whatever. There's an infinite amount of possibilities.

If your argument is "well the writers can do whatever they want, why didn't they do what *I* wanted" then the answer is that they're simply better writers than you are.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone else think Majors might be also playing Iron Lad in Quantumania?

Doubtful, in that it'd be weird for a dude in his 30s to be playing a "Lad."

But I do think we'll be getting someone else as "Young Kang" around there, for the Young Avengers... maybe not as Iron Lad, since that's a little predictable, but introduce Patriot and have him turn out to be a time-traveling Nathaniel Richards instead of Elijah Bradley, as people would expect. Or any other number of teen heroes.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
When that door opens and Majors is sitting there with the drip…ugh. That was a hell of a moment. Also the branches of the timeline is honestly my favorite MCU moment since the snap. I can't believe we Kang believers get to eat this fucking good ugh we deserve this

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Turns out Sylvie is just a Starlord variant.

Ha

You pretty much said everything I wanted to say LOL

I was so ready for Marvel to chicken out again like they did with WandaVision but nope, they gave us the real deal and set up the rest of Phase 4. The hype for MoM is going to be insane but I'm guessing that Spider-Man will ease us into the multiverse war before we get a full blown taste later.

This Loki finale in a weird way got me more hyped for whatever the hell the next Spider-Man is gonna do

And I think watching these shows are just as essential as watching the movies. They are MCU installments all the same, so skipping one of these series in my opinion is the equivalent of skipping any of the movies in between the major crossover films.

I mean yea you'd miss stuff, a lot of character work especially, but for like Falcon for example, he was already setup to be Captain America, so someone going straight to Captain America 4 instead of FatWS won't be that lost, if at all

All I'm saying is, Loki definitively proves that they are going all out in making the shows just as important as the movies, which includes having massive plot and character reveals. There was some lingering doubt about that for people, but now it's been completely eliminated. Frankly it doesn't get much bigger than what Loki did in its finale.

I know it's silly since that's what they said to expect from the Disney+ shows, but seeing is believing for some folk.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
uh..no? and the show explains why? The alternate Kangs had to be eliminated to prevent multiversal war. They no longer existed, and hadn't existed for eons. Their timelines weren't "in the past" somewhere, they were obliterated by Alioth.

Yes. I understand this. And the show COULD have explained it any other way, too. The things you know and the things the show tells you aren't god given facts. The writers wrote it. And when the writers want to write something else, even something that seems REALLY absurd - for example a story about a time-traveling Loki fighting against another female Loki and then taking on the Lord of all time, even after Loki most definitely died - then they find a way to do exactly that.

Loki and Sylvie sitting in front of that desk, listening to a dude explaining the Lore for 30 minutes wasn't the inevitable consequence of what was happened before. ANYTHING else could have also happened, if the writers wanted it to. And I would have preferred most other ways to a stale wikipedia lore entry.

I think the fact that the writers didn't even try to think of any exciting way for the characters to learn and experience this information - and have ANY kind of agency during and involvement with it - is a bit of a bummer after a season that was so focused on delivering great character arcs and character development. That's all I'm saying. There are an infinite amount of possibilities for any writer to come up with an infinite amount of different ideas to convey this information in a more engaging way that doesn't turn these characters into furniture for the last episode of their show.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Random thought: if they cast a black Reed Richards, would that be an indication that this Kang is also Nathaniel Richards?
We've seen that variants can be different races/genders so I wouldn't take it as confirmation that the "main" Reed Richards will be black. But it is definitely possible.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Yes. I understand this. And the show COULD have explained it any other way, too. The things you know and the things the show tells you aren't god given facts. The writers wrote it. And when the writers want to write something else, even something that seems REALLY absurd - for example a story about a time-traveling Loki fighting against another female Loki and then taking on the Lord of all time, even after Loki most definitely died - then they find a way to do exactly that.

Loki and Sylvie sitting in front of that desk, listening to a dude explaining the Lore for 30 minutes wasn't the inevitable consequence of what was happened before. ANYTHING else could have also happened, if the writers wanted it to. And I would have preferred most other ways to a stale wikipedia lore entry. That's all I'm saying.

This is a rather lengthy way to explain that exposition bores you. I get it, but you have to understand that your "alternatives" are drastically worse than what we got. If you think you're a better writer than these people are- hollywood would love to hear from you.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Pretty great ending, Majors was fantastic, and an awesome lead up into the next slate of movies. Much stronger than Wanda or Falcon. I wasn't a huge fan of the Loki romance. Would have preferred they showed growth and found compassion/selflessness without needing a romantic hook.

Luvlaskan

Oct 31, 2017
Following this thread and not knowing anything about comic book villains. I got Krang and Kang mixed up and was very confused by the reveal that it was just some guy.

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019
I hope we get an entirely different performance for Ant-Man 3 from Majors and from each new variant going forward.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I love how comic book readers were saying that it was weird that if the one in control was Kang, that the statues within the TVA weren't in his image, cuz I guess he's narcissistic like that or something

Then you get the cliffhanger where that actually does happen

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
This is a rather lengthy way to explain that exposition bores you. I get it, but you have to understand that your "alternatives" are drastically worse than what we got. If you think you're a better writer than these people are- hollywood would love to hear from you.

I spat out the first 2 ideas I had to give some vague understanding to the concept of "you could make up quite literally anything when you are the writer of a show like Loki". There's really absolutely no need to get so passive aggressive because of the mildest possible criticism of "I really liked that show but I disliked that aspect."

In my first post I even explained at length why I think exposition was a lot better presented at the beginning of the show. This show IS very exposition heavy and they largely did an extremely good job with it in regards to the TVA for example. It's why this stuck out all the more.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
What happened to that Loki in a throne from a promo?
I was tellin y'all, don't trust the promos.

I just wanna pour one out for all the people that doubted it could possibly be Kang/Immortus and that it HAD to be a Loki variant. Not only did they go against your "It has to be someone we know" stuff that literally only applies to whodunnits, but they also masterfully handled the introduction. The elevator opening up with Majors - extremely reminiscent of the pulling back of the curtain in Wizard of Oz. And since the show already pulled so much from that already, it could have only gone that way. First MCU show to keep me hooked, and leave me satisfied.

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
So this phase of the MCU is the Avengers battling different variants of Kang?

Will there be a "Prime Kang"?

We don't know how far they'll go with the Kang variants thing. They might go crazy and have Kang variants that are sometimes good, or Kang variants that are literally antagonists of films/shows, or from here on out the only Kang we see moving forward is "Prime Kang", the ultimate villain of the saga, in order to avoid confusion.

There's pro's and cons to each scenario in terms of what might generate the best story and sustain energy from the audience.

Oct 25, 2017
Pre-Finale Poll Results
image0.png

Thanks for that.
KANG GANG WINS!
sZKliHy.jpg

Turns out where there was smoke there was indeed fire, but the majority of Era did not believe.
Shout to the users who compared us to Mephisto enthusiasts accusing us of seeing what we wanted to see.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
When Kang talked about meeting alternate versions of himself, I immediately went "oh, so Reed Richards is gonna be Black too, cool."

It's not a done deal, but considering they're going to be operating in the same space - super-smart scientist guy who discovers and then masters the multiverse - it feels like a shitty move to have some white guy come up and be the smarter, nobler, more successful, "good" version of Kang. Not that Disney/Marvel hasn't made shittier moves, but their Phase 4 diversity push would be really undermined by something like that.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
So does Renslayer know about Kang and the purpose of the TVA?

Some of her lines in this last episode seem to suggest she does, but others indicate she's just as clueless as everyone else.

Autumn

Avenger
Apr 1, 2018
So if there was only one universe does that mean the others got erased or just completed separated from the other ones?

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I mean yea you'd miss stuff, a lot of character work especially, but for like Falcon for example, he was already setup to be Captain America, so someone going straight to Captain America 4 instead of FatWS won't be that lost, if at all

All I'm saying is, Loki definitively proves that they are going all out in making the shows just as important as the movies, which includes having massive plot and character reveals. There was some lingering doubt about that for people, but now it's been completely eliminated. Frankly it doesn't get much bigger than what Loki did in its finale.

I know it's silly since that's what they said to expect from the Disney+ shows, but seeing is believing for some folk.
well, all three of these shows have broken Disney+ records in some capacity, so I think whoever it is that is part of the fanbase of the MCU that decides not to watch the shows are part of the minority of that fanbase. As far as your Falcon example, I can't respond to that without spoiling other things

If you saw Black Widow then you know that there is more that happened in Falcon's show other than the story arc of setting him up as the new Captain America - even though that was his main development and something that, like you said, wouldn't have been lost going from Endgame to Cap4

But then there's Val in the post credit scene. Now even though she was a minor character in Falcon and just has a cameo in this movie, based on what she did previously, you know that the characters established there are going to become important in the bigger picture of phase 4. And the only way to know that is by watching the show.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Was the Kang in Loki the only Kang at that moment?

Or were there other Kangs in the multiverse, but the one in Loki was able to keep the others isolated in their own universe's?

Like, when Loki is sent back to TVA HQ, and they didn't remember him, but it looked like another Kang was running that TVA, was that already there and Loki got send to the wrong place? Or was that the same place, but it instantly got warped by Kang's death by Sylvie?

Man this is so confusing...

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Was the Kang in Loki the only Kang at that moment?

Or were there other Kangs in the multiverse, but the one in Loki was able to keep the others isolated in their own universe's?

Like, when Loki is sent back to TVA HQ, and they didn't remember him, but it looked like another Kang was running that TVA, was that already there and Loli got send to the wrong place? Or was that the same place, but it instantly got warped by Kang's death by Sylvie?

Man this is so confusing...
When Loki and Sylvie met him he was the only Kang left in existence. His entire use of the TVA was to ensure his timeline was the only timeline to ensure no other Kangs would spring up - because he killed the others.

Also I'm kind of reeling with glee that Loki is basically the "main" character of the MCU right now. It's genius and they hit the lottery with Hiddleston because everyone loves him and he'll keep doing this forever if they want.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I was just thinking it'd be quite something to see Majors do an evil beyond anything seen in MCU version of the character after doing a goofy ver hah