• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
The TVA is definitely not surviving this series. Their entire existence is predicated on the agents' faith and that faith is built on a huge lie.

Nov 29, 2018
The TVA is definitely not surviving this series. Their entire existence is predicated on the agents' faith and that faith is built on a huge lie.
Well, I could see the Timekeepers or whoever is really in charge going down. But the very Marvel thing would be keeping the TVA around as a reformed watchdog organization. Allowing variants to occur but trying to act as arbiters between different timelines, keeping the peace. I dunno, I'd be surprised if they just torched it all to the ground right away.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I would not call this episode filler. It was just plain old bad.

I would agree. It is a badly put-together episode trying to build a bridge between the first part and the second part of the series.

It is doing what it needs to but it is not as engaging as it should be.

Now that Sylvie's been established as not-evil, they're really the only possible antagonist

Not-evil is stretching it. She is perfectly willing to kill and brainwash people.

Probably not the final antagonist though.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Can I ship Loki and Sylvie?
nowneitherofuswillbevirgins.jpg

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
How do you know that? Were there leaks that prove that theory?
No leaks or anything, but in the first two episodes Mobius tells Loki several times that the TVA agents were all made by the Time Keepers, and in episode 2 he tells Loki that his belief in the Time Keepers is what keeps him going. Episode 3 shows that this is all a lie--the TVA agents are actually all variants of normal people who have been recruited by the TVA, and considering they have no memory of this it's not likely of their own free will.

loco

Jan 6, 2021
No leaks or anything, but in the first two episodes Mobius tells Loki several times that the TVA agents were all made by the Time Keepers, and in episode 2 he tells Loki that his belief in the Time Keepers is what keeps him going. Episode 3 shows that this is all a lie--the TVA agents are actually all variants of normal people who have been recruited by the TVA, and considering they have no memory of this it's not likely of their own free will.
Ah gotcha. Also weird that everyone is practically human including other planets.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
I had the thought but held off on putting it into the ether the other day when I posted my "Sylvie is Frigga's actual daughter" post

But I am both eagerly anticipating and horrified at the thought of the imminent "What are you doooooing, step-Loki?" memes

Oct 30, 2017
So if the TVA are nothing but memory-wiped variants, does that also include Mobius?

Gotta say, other than the gorgeous cinematography and that impressive "continuous shot" the episode was just okay. Part of it is my fault because I don't know what I want from this show and may be expecting something that Loki has no intention of delivering on.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
At the very least this episode showed some Asgard come out of Loki when he's bored. Enjoying a fight and getting drunk. Being physically clearly stronger than what appear to be normal humans. Using magic freely and such. I can suspend my disbelief and imagine Loki is pulling punches in a lot of fights to read people or mess with them and set up a potential scheme/con down the line, especially when you see him just knock idiots around for fun when he's drunk and less restrained.
It avoids the horrible bug in my brain that Falcon/Winter Soldier gave me every time Bucky fuckin Barnes gets out punched and beat up by a bunch of a regular ass people with the juice. One of the most dangerous assassins in the MCU as a continuous jobber for an entire season so we have a reason to fear the bad guys and respect some normal human with a jet pack. I hated it.

Me and my fam enjoyed this episode for what it was though. Helped that it distracted from the world melting outside for a little bit.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
So I think the sham trials the variants are put through when brought to the TVA are basically trials to see if they are TVA agent material. Even the simple ticket taking at the beginning is probably a small test on how well they can take orders.

But my issue there, if this is the case, is... what do the TVA agents actually think they're doing? They believe they were all created by the Time Keepers. If the people put on trial become new TVA agents, what do they think becomes of the prisoners, and are the current TVA agents mind wiped in regards to that new TVA agent?

I'm sure a clean explanation will come about. One thing I'm certain of is that I'm pretty sure Ravonna is the one TVA person who's in on the whole charade.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So I think the sham trials the variants are put through when brought to the TVA are basically trials to see if they are TVA agent material. Even the simple ticket taking at the beginning is probably a small test on how well they can take orders.

But my issue there, if this is the case, is... what do the TVA agents actually think they're doing? They believe they were all created by the Time Keepers. If the people put on trial become new TVA agents, what do they think becomes of the prisoners, and are the current TVA agents mind wiped in regards to that new TVA agent?

I'm sure a clean explanation will come about. One thing I'm certain of is that I'm pretty sure Ravonna is the one TVA person who's in on the whole charade.

Yeah, you don't cast Gugu Mbatha-Raw to just be a nothing background character. Depending on how the season ends and how much season 2 is planned to be a DIRECT sequel to this one, she'll either be one of the big bads this time or the "setup villain" for season 2.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
I just had a terrible thought. What if the timekeepers are the mandarin part 2.

We find out it's just some normal person pulling the strings and gets busted. That would be terrible.

Valentonis

One Winged Slayer
Oct 8, 2020
I just had a terrible thought. What if the timekeepers are the mandarin part 2.

We find out it's just some normal person pulling the strings and gets busted. That would be terrible.
I think it's probably gonna end up being something like this, there's def more to the Time Keepers than meets the eye. But considering how high concept and powerful the TVA is, as well as the fact that our protagonist is a god himself, whoever's behind the scenes can only be so "normal".

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
No spoilers, but my wife informed me there's another actor listed on IMDB that has not appeared yet. Knowing who it is gave me an idea of who they might be playing, so …

Richard E Grant for 3 eps? Thats another Loki….

R2RD

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 6, 2018
I just realized that we haven't seen this scene yet.
loki-president-Cropped.jpg

And I have no idea where that could fit in.

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
No spoilers, but my wife informed me there's another actor listed on IMDB that has not appeared yet. Knowing who it is gave me an idea of who they might be playing, so …

Richard E Grant for 3 eps? Thats another Loki….
My assumption is that the Time Keepers are actually just another Loki