• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
Amazed for Simu Liu. I wonder who else they'll get from Kims Convenience.

Maybe Andrea Bang as well.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Movie is either gonna open with Trevor being executed, or he'll appear an hour in and he'll be chained in a dungeon as a cameo.

Either way, hyped to see what they do with this.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds really dope but a movie like this is make or break with the choreography. Hopefully they come through with some great martial arts action. Actions been a bit boring in all these superhero flicks as of late and it would be nice to see some dope kung fu in one of them

marmalade

Nov 28, 2018
The Glass Castle was a bit of a mess so I dunno if Short Term 12 was a one-off, but I hope that this doesn't get lost in the grandeur of superhero-ness and maintains Dustin Daniel Cretton's sense of warmth and empathy.

Deleted member 2779

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds really dope but a movie like this is make or break with the choreography. Hopefully they come through with some great martial arts action. Actions been a bit boring in all these superhero flicks as of late and it would be nice to see some dope kung fu in one of them
The choreography will be great, but I got a feeling we're gonna get Winter Soldier-esque editing again.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Can't wait for all of the people who said the real Mandarin could never work in the MCU because he's just a racist caricature to do a complete 180.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Looking forward to you all finally giving Iron Man 3 the props it deserved. Shame they're doing Mandarin now though.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I never know if you're being serious.
4103710-untitled.png

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
The choreography will be great, but I got a feeling we're gonna get Winter Soldier-esque editing again.

No more of that shit. I'm spoiled by even TV shows now like warrior where the action looks clean

Gareth Evans would have been a dream director for this. Cretton made one good indie drama and hes Asian so they figured hes a good fit for this but I hope they lucked out and he has a good eye for action and how to shoot this. It would be a shame if marvel sent their usual second units and shot some weak shit for what could end up having the best action in the mcu potentially

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I fucking love Iron Man 3, and I'm glad they're picking up the Mandarin thread. Hope Trevor makes an appearance

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
I love all of this.

Then they might as well not even bother. I'm hoping the Ronin single take shot from Endgame indicates the direction their action team is going in with this thing.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for all of the people who said the real Mandarin could never work in the MCU because he's just a racist caricature to do a complete 180.
This will 100% happen and prove for once that this argument never made sense when you can just give more depth (maybe more relatable motivations) and modernize the character instead of just throwing him in the trash.

Shame Tony isn't around anymore (hope they're still somewhat connected), but still interested in finally seeing The Mandarin in a movie.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Awkwafina gets to be someone cool, I'll be disappointed if its a Rachel McAdams type deal.

edit: Frankly, I'm going to be pissed if we ever get a nothing side character like that again.

Taka

Apr 27, 2018
I think they will definitely talk about how Iron Man's actions have lasting ramifications
The group that kidnapped Tony in the very first Iron Man film was called The Ten Rings, so the history is already there (it's referenced in the Hail to the King short posted on the first page).

Fully expect that, and Trevor, to be mentioned in this film to tie up all the loose ends.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna have to check out Kim's Convenience now.

So excited about everything in this movie. The logo, the title, Tony Leung as Mandarin, Awkafina in it etc.

Taka

Apr 27, 2018
It does feel kinda funny that Shang-Chi needed to borrow a quintessential Iron Man villain to give him a credible bad guy.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Awkwafina being in this ironically surprised me the most.

Super hyped to see the real Mandarin though. Over time, I admittedly grew to sour on IM3's twist somewhat, despite it being hilarious. Especially since now the MCU is absolutely not afraid to go full comic book fuckery. Anyways, it worked out in the end since we eventually got the real deal anyhow. Though I guess it'll always be a shame that Tony died before he appeared.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I hope this is a genuine martial arts film with good choreography I feel like outside of ipman I haven't seen any of those in a long time.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I watched In the Mood for Love for the first time ever last night and then this happens? Feige, stop stalking me.

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
As a Asian American I'm pretty excited about this one. Casting Tony Leung as the Mandarin was a great move and I look forward to seeing him as this character.

I've seen Simu before in Kim's Convenience and a YouTube series with a all Asian cast. I didn't consider him although I'm pretty happy he got the part.

And Awkwafina has been on a hot streak lately so I think she'll do a good job as well.

Jack Scofield

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I didn't expect the Mandarin to ever make a re-appearance in the MCU, even considering that one-shot of Trevor Slattery in prison. Color me surprised!

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Tony fucking Leung holy shit. That's a big fucking name here.

Is it too much to hope that this is set in Asia and he speaks Cantonese throughout the movie?