• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Egg0

Oct 25, 2017
Releasing an MCU movie straight to streaming is a pandora's box Disney does not want to open. If I were to be able to do that day and date, have friends over, got some food. I'd never want to go back to the theater. Which I already don't really like to do.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Releasing an MCU movie straight to streaming is a pandora's box Disney does not want to open. If I were to be able to do that day and date, have friends over, got some food. I'd never want to go back to the theater. Which I already don't really like to do.
I'd honestly pay double the ticket price

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if you had to pick one movie to delay, it'd be Black Widow - nothing coming for the next few months, not a time-sensitive plot because it's a big flashback. Only wrinkle would be if plot threads like the Thunderbolts end up in FatWS or one of the other Disney+ shows, but even they're far enough away that it wouldn't be a huge deal.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I mean, if you had to pick one movie to delay, it'd be Black Widow - nothing coming for the next few months, not a time-sensitive plot because it's a big flashback. Only wrinkle would be if plot threads like the Thunderbolts end up in FatWS or one of the other Disney+ shows, but even they're far enough away that it wouldn't be a huge deal.
Having only two movies this year ended up being a blessing in disguise for Marvel Studios.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
I could see almost every MCU production is going to get pushed...
Maybe only What-If? is going to be safe.

doinkies

Jun 20, 2018
Eariler today: Shang Chi's first production still: Going ahead, I hope it goes smooOH COME ON!

www.hollywoodreporter.com

Marvel’s ‘Shang-Chi’ Temporarily Suspends Production as Director Self-Isolates (Exclusive)

Marvel Studios' 'Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings' is halting production due to coronavirus concerns.

FWIW, according to this article and Variety's article he decided to get tested as a precaution since he now has a baby, and his doctor told him he'd have to self-isolate while waiting for the results. He wasn't showing symptoms, and the 2nd unit stuff is still shooting in the meantime. So hopefully he'll be OK.

Last edited:

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
FWIW, according to this article and Variety's article he decided to get tested as a precaution since he now has a baby, and his doctor told him he'd have to self-isolate while waiting for the results. He wasn't showing symptoms, and the 2nd unit stuff is still shooting in the meantime. So hopefully he'll be OK.
Smart man, hopefully the tests come out good for him.

Last edited:

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, this is the stuff to be looking out for. Black Widow being delayed is an eventuality and I don't think it's going to be major, but this is all going to have a cascading effect on the rest of the slate going forward, with Sony's July 2021 date for Spidey 3 being a potential big stumbling block.

BlackNMild2k1

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
What if this pandemic was what led to Disney getting the Spidey license back.

All the delays in production offseting everyone's schedules. Just something to think about. What's the production deadline for the SM license again?

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Depends how long the shit last, I could see Widow in July and Shang Chi might already be baked but yeah. Sony will be the hard headed ones.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
The good thing is Marvel doesn't really have to follow any established rules. If they want to postpone Black Widow 1 month, or 2 months, or 6 months, any of those dates work. People will come out for Marvel as soon as they're able to, safely.

The only real conflicts would potentially come with other Disney movies, and looking at 2020... there ain't much. I think they could EASILY slide Eternals into the December "Star Wars" slot and it would do absolute gangbusters over the Winter holidays.

It sounds like the Disney+ shows are gonna be delayed as well. I was really looking forward to WandaVision this December, but Mando Season 2 + FAWS is still a pretty good combo, I think.

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
The good thing is Marvel doesn't really have to follow any established rules. If they want to postpone Black Widow 1 month, or 2 months, or 6 months, any of those dates work. People will come out for Marvel as soon as they're able to, safely.

The only real conflicts would potentially come with other Disney movies, and looking at 2020... there ain't much. I think they could EASILY slide Eternals into the December "Star Wars" slot and it would do absolute gangbusters over the Winter holidays.

It sounds like the Disney+ shows are gonna be delayed as well. I was really looking forward to WandaVision this December, but Mando Season 2 + FAWS is still a pretty good combo, I think.
WandaVision seemed further ahead than FaWS, right? FaWS was still shooting while WandaVision had already wrapped. Although I guess both could still need reshoots as well.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
With sports, movies, shows, and schools all shifting schedules back months if not more, it reminds me a lot of the ramifications of the Endgame time skip. I remember thinking how crazy it would be to have the entire world losing so much time. Now it feels like it's happening to all of us.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt it. "Trolls 2" is looking at a lower threshold for profitability than "Black Widow", which is why this 48-hour VOD proposal makes sense.

"Black Widow", on the other hand, is only going to maximize profitability by being seen in theaters (IMAX up-sell, ticket sale agreements, etc.) Honestly, I could see Disney doing something like downgrading "Artemis Fowl" to Disney+ and putting "Black Widow" in that May release date.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
My dream would be having the option to use VOD for an extra cost, as well as cinemas.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt it. "Trolls 2" is looking at a lower threshold for profitability than "Black Widow", which is why this 48-hour VOD proposal makes sense.

"Black Widow", on the other hand, is only going to maximize profitability by being seen in theaters (IMAX up-sell, ticket sale agreements, etc.) Honestly, I could see Disney doing something like downgrading "Artemis Fowl" to Disney+ and putting "Black Widow" in that May release date.

Would New Mutants be a candidate for this also?

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
yeah I imagine if there was an opportunity to dump New Mutants on streaming, Disney would've doe so already.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
With AMC theaters closing for the coming weeks their has to be an announcement about the Widow delay?
Yeah, depending on how things go, we could start to see quarantining easing off in the next month and change, and its possible that theaters will begin reopening around late April/early May, but Disney isn't going to wait until the last possible second to make that call. My guess is Black Widow will move to 4th of July weekend, and maybe Mulan will drop in August. And Free Guy, Artemis Fowl, all that other shit will just have to move to September/January doldrums.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda crazy they moved both Bond and Fast and Furious so far into the future. From what I can tell, the only huge blockbusters still slated for 2020 are:

Wonder Woman on June 5
Soul on June 19
Top Gun June 24
Minions July 3
Ghostbusters July 10
Morbius July 31
Halloween Kills October 16

Then we hit November, which I figure is the latest they'd push Black Widow (straight up pushing the entire MCU an entire release date forward, across the board)

In the meantime, no shortage of open weekends. And if we're being honest, the only movie on that list that will probably top BW at the box office is Wonder Woman. BW would decimate the rest if there was any kind of conflict. Papa Feige always eats.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
They're in a unique situation now where people aren't going to have friends over.

Status
Not open for further replies.