• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
my wishlist for future patches/new features:

- cutscene viewer (with option to use the different costumes)
- color editor for the costumes
- let me choose between all the different day/night cycles that appear in the game (including the one in the last research station)
- model/character viewer

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
my wishlist for future patches/new features:

- cutscene viewer (with option to use the different costumes)
- color editor for the costumes
- let me choose between all the different day/night cycles that appear in the game (including the one in the last research station)
- model/character viewer
What do you mean by "last research station"? Wouldn't that depend on the order in which you do them?

If you're talking about the lightning storm weather, I totally agree. The sound effects were great with that one!

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Do the side missions get more interesting in the game? I've only encounted like two so far and found them to be underwhelming. Chasing pigeons and helping a woman find her boyfriend.

I feel like there is a huge missed opportunity here with the side missions. No pizza delivery?
Most of the side content sucks. You can do some of the side content to unlock costumes you like and upgrade some of the gadgets, but there is no bonus or trophy for fully upgrading all gadgets and just a trophy for getting all costumes. There are also some available Side Missions marked in blue, a few of those are worth doing, especially the ones with villains. The college campus ones seem pointless though.

Oh and when you do unlock challenges, you might want to at least get bronze in all challenges.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
stop. it. with. the. sluggish. stealth. sections.

man half the story missions involve stealth so far.

and i mean stealth with the side characters, stealth with spiderman is actually ok, feels like a simple version of arkham

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
lWMJaA3.gif

Abrasion Test

Oct 27, 2017
stop. it. with. the. sluggish. stealth. sections.

man half the story missions involve stealth so far.

and i mean stealth with the side characters, stealth with spiderman is actually ok, feels like a simple version of arkham
Yep. This game is really solid but those sections are just so bad. It's not enough that they take away the momentum of the story and gameplay, but on their own they're just not very fun. Not sure why they felt the need to shoehorn them in, the game wouldn't lose a lot without them.

Combined with the awful side missions, this game is a few steps from legit greatness.

Oct 27, 2017
Did anyone else notice, that this game is pretty similar to Gravity Rush 2 regarding how narrative and plot are driven forward?
Can't think of any other open world game with an explicit three act structure with each act having a worthy finale.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As I play through the game a bit more the side content is kind of bad but one aspect to it that I appreciate is very little of it asks me to repeat things. Even the crime stuff which is randomly generated content can throw little twists in there like chasing down a car after rescuing people who got into a collision. I still haven't unlocked every side activity yet but I'm grateful that they're at least trying to keep things mixed up even if the activity itself is more of a basic kind.

I think what people want though is more meaty side quests that have their own stories to them. The actual side missions I've done tend to be from random civilians and there's no real story setup beyond "hey this is happening so maybe go stop them or fix that?". People probably want some of these stories to involve other known characters and villains too. But if Insomniac improves on the side stuff in the next game I hope they don't forget about the importance of keeping things fresh. Stories are good, but the reason why I find witcher 3 hard to replay is every quest plays the same 1 or 2 ways. Gameplay diversity is extremely important too so I hope spiderman 2 doesn't lose that.

R3create

Aug 28, 2018
Im no huge superhero (marvel, dc) fan but im enjoying this game quite a bit so far. Really enjoyed that first scene at "Mick's". The short order cook specifically.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
If you're in post-game, keep JJJ's show on. There are tons more shows and they add a lot to what happened in the aftermath. Lots of good narrative related stuff.

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
Uh. Did you add the 'Only On Playstation' banner? Pretty sure that's not in the game. Where are you planning on posting these screenshots? Xbox forums?

I did add the only on PlayStation from my phone. No I don't plan on posting it anywhere to invoke console wars. Wasn't really my intention but I can see this going wrong now...

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder what villains they'll go with in the sequel.
I'd imagine they would like to focus on a more unknown character again, just like with Mr. Negative. Even if said character won't be the main villain in the end.

Maybe Prowler? For the Miles connection?

Jul 20, 2018
Mild spoiler alert for some dialogue at the start of Act II:

Yuri says the police will need more than a hunch from Spider-Man to go after Martin, then a moment later MJ calls and says the captures Demons have been saying Martin's the one doing it.

Isn't this a bit conflicting? Unless MJ is just using his name because Peter is pretty sure of it. Still seems like an odd dialogue choice.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I have 25 challenge tokens left, so I think I'm safe with the suits. It's base tokens I'm low on, so I'll focus on those next.

Oct 27, 2017
I did add the only on PlayStation from my phone. No I don't plan on posting it anywhere to invoke console wars. Wasn't really my intention but I can see this going wrong now...

This game and potential future titles in THIS series are only on Playstation, as of right now. This is a known thing.

But if your screenshot has been edited by you outside of the game/Playstation environment, just edit your post to let people know, and everything should be fine.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
If you're in post-game, keep JJJ's show on. There are tons more shows and they add a lot to what happened in the aftermath. Lots of good narrative related stuff.
Hmmm, so maybe I should just beeline the main story so I can continue doing side stuff with JJJ's show on. I've been so concerned with all the side content that I finished a lot of it before even getting through the story.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game put me in the mood to rewatch the Raimi Trilogy and all of the MCU and I see that Netflix added Spider-Man...3. Just 3.

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
This game and potential future titles in THIS series are only on Playstation, as of right now. This is a known thing.

But if your screenshot has been edited by you outside of the game/Playstation environment, just edit your post to let people know, and everything should be fine.

Will do. Didn't really have the forethought this would fall into console war territory.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit that fucking made me jump!

When Taskmaster comes out of nowhere and throws that binding around you after a few challenges.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm, so maybe I should just beeline the main story so I can continue doing side stuff with JJJ's show on. I've been so concerned with all the side content that I finished a lot of it before even getting through the story.

Yup, I enjoyed all of it. Some of the shows were actually quite important to the events happening in the story too. I just hate when it gets interrupted when you fight crimes etc.

KTroopA

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
Is anyone else experiencing ps4 pro crash with patch v1.05? Its complaining about extended storage - i remember seeing a dev tweet about this. Whats up with that?

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Any way to enter photo mode without start..I'd prefer L3+R3.

Also, is everyone's photo mode picture blurred when doing finishing moves ?

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
One of the things I love about the game is that I can definitely tell where Insomniac made the decision for a story beat and where Marvel made the decision lol.

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao what on earth compelled you to even add that?
Yeah it's really weird to go out of your way to add an "only on PlayStation" banner outside of the in game photo editor. Like why else would you do that other than to ruffle some feathers? You have to put effort into that.

Let's not let dumb console wars derail this OT though.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
I just happened to notice the sign last night while talking to my friend about all the games he needs to play on PS4 still. I saw the sign and thought it would be kind of clever but yeah I probably should have seen this coming in hindsight.

LOL, don't worry about it. It's on the game box anyway. ;)

Oct 27, 2017
This. This. This.

I am shocked to see the complaints about the story but mostly at how few people are praising it. I am glued to the screen every time Spiderman is talking to MJ or Otto or whoever he interacts with. The facial capture, the cutscene direction and the dialogue is right up there with the best of what Naughty Dog has produced. And yes, those blockbuster moments are amazing. its like watching an expensive marvel movie. One with actual stakes. Some of the scenes made me think The Dark Knight and yet they didnt feel out of place. Even the side characters like that cop, Norman and the PMC chick get their moments to shine. no one feels left out in this game, no one is there just to support Spiderman ro give Spidey someone to save, they all have their own arc and their own big character moments. Even the villains get a win every now and then and thats great to see.

If it wasnt for God of War, this would be my game of the year. The swinging and combat are so good they take away from the great story, but i just love what Insomniacs and Marvel have done here. No offense to Insomniac, but this has Marvel written all over it. The storytelling such a massive jump from any Insomniac game before that i am having a hard time believing its from the same studio. I would say it's even better than Naughty Dog games at times simply because of their focus on side characters.

I almost think that the open world nature of the game has kept the story from seeing praise. if this was a linear action game we would all be going through the story moments together and there would be a lot of talk about the big setpieces and holy shit moments.

I played a couple of missions last night that convinced me that insomniacs has finally joined Naughty Dog, Bioware and SSM has the best of the best. A lot of studios can do great combat, quite a few studios can tell a great story, but very few are able to merge the story and gameplay to create some truly unique moments that make them stand out. Naughty Dog did it with that Village level in Uncharted 2, Bioware with those great side quests in ME2 and SSM with that amazing chapter when Kratos goes back to his house. I had a smile on my face the entire time playing these few chapters. They wont win awards for best gameplay but man i love when devs mix things up.

Good post. I agree that the writing is excellent and the characters really nicely developed. The cutscenes are fantastic and the voice acting and facial animation is definitely up there with the best of the best.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I'm sitting at 93% completion and just have to finish up crimes in Greenwich and the Financial District (I think I have 3 left total) and then do the last story mission. This game's side content has been enjoyable and easy to complete -- I especially liked that even among the challenges and research missions you were very rarely repeating the same cut and paste challenges. It feels like everything has a small unique twist or spin to keep things fresh.

Combat has been enjoyable -- I'm maxed out, have all gadgets and suits (except one, see spoiler), and everything is a breeze even on Spectacular. I do my best to strategically use all my gadgets all the time and keep my combo counter up pretty high, which is enjoyable. I do have to admit that the endgame sections do get a little annoying in the city though just because there are so many darn enemies on the screen at once.

I don't love all the random enemy placements and snipers around the city by the end. I also really, really hate the jetpack sables and sable cars. I don't think they're hard to beat, but something about the sable cars at least has been wonky w/r/t targeting. I feel like in order to rip off the guns on the top of the trucks I need to run around and specifically take time out to slowly aim my camera -- not my shooters, but the game camera itself -- in a really specific position and then consciously take a second to press L1+R1 in order to rip them off, hoping that in the mean time I'm not getting flanked by a bunch of machine gun sables and jetpack sables. Granted, this is easily avoided by using web bombs and spider drones liberally, but man does it always kill my momentum when I am doing focus chains only to then have to stop, throw some web bombs out, then run around and meticulously take out all the car mounted artillery individually.

I didn't check my game counter but doing some mental math I think I have about ~35ish hours in, which isn't too bad for just about 100% completion. Looking forward to a sequel if we ever get one. Which feels likely, if only due to financials.

Story wise I'm actually surprised to read complaints. Normally I'm a huge stickler for pacing and character development but, even as I take time to do other things, I've felt that the story and pacing of this game has been pretty great. A few moments where urgency is implied but ignored due to me swinging around doing other shit, but I'm enjoying all the characters and I've found that, despite their simplified backstories and motivations, I understand where everyone is coming from easily, what they represent to both Spidey and the larger narrative, and have enjoyed the dialogue and interactions between the characters. I honestly am surprised by how much I've enjoyed Yuri Lowenthal and Laura Bailey's performances. Normally, I'm not hugely into them, but damn, it's going to be hard not hearing Lowenthal's voice while I'm reading Marvel in the future. Even if I do wish he put on more of an accent.

EDIT: RE: Crashes: I've only experienced 2 crashes, both while having the game paused for extended periods of time. Once I got up to pee and the other I was eating dinner, when I came back the game had "unexpectedly closed". I also had one loading error during a Drone challenge, where I retried the mission and the game never actually exited a loading screen even after 30 minutes. But that was solved with a reboot. I was REALLY concerned my save got corrupted for a few minutes there, thankfully it hadn't.

Overall I'm really impressed with this game. Even having 100%d the Arkham games, I've been enjoying this more than I enjoyed any of them. Not that I think they're bad games at all -- they're great -- I just have been really loving how all the pieces come together in this one a little more than I expected. Especially given the fact that I normally actively dislike big open world games with tons of extraneous garbage to do.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
I had a couple of crashes during the game, and I'm not sure if others experienced this, but my game would flash to the Playstation home screen for like a split second and then go back again which was really disruptive. Not sure what was causing it though or if it happened to others.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Is there an explanation to why there aren't any kids in the city? The player cannot hurt people anyway. Why not include children in the city?

Cap G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The ending of the black cat missions is even worse than I thought, lord.
"Black cat is planning something, spider-man! The end. See you in october."

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I had a couple of crashes during the game, and I'm not sure if others experienced this, but my game would flash to the Playstation home screen for like a split second and then go back again which was really disruptive. Not sure what was causing it though or if it happened to others.
I had two crashes, one to the XMB, one had to hard reset the console.

cb1115

Oct 25, 2017
haven't had any crashes personally but it sure does send my Pro's fan into overdrive more than I'd like

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
Yep. This game is really solid but those sections are just so bad. It's not enough that they take away the momentum of the story and gameplay, but on their own they're just not very fun. Not sure why they felt the need to shoehorn them in, the game wouldn't lose a lot without them.

Combined with the awful side missions, this game is a few steps from legit greatness.
The stealth sections are not hard or very long. I think they are great changes of pace from the usual combat arenas and QTEs that the rest of the main missions boil down to. I don't really understand all of the hate they are getting.

And the side missions are good when you consider that Spider-Man is known as your "friendly neighborhood Spider-Man" specifically because he makes time to do the little things. Yeah the side missions aren't over-the-top incredible stories or action sequences, but they fit perfectly in the Spider-Man mythos. And they too don't take very long to complete. They are short distractions that don't overstay their welcome. I have yet to do a side missions that was outright bad or boring.

My only gripe with the content so far are the recycled crimes that pop up in each section of the city. Doing my 4th or 5th citizen car accident rescue has lost it's appeal. I hope they add additional variations if/when we get a sequel.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
I think the story mostly suffers from typical open-world pacing problems. They tried to account for this by assuming that you'd be dicking around with side activities between each one but if you're just going to go from mission to mission some of the character development can feel a bit jarring.