• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
That budget is insane and not justifiable for that kind of money. Netflix might do it anyway but they are stupid and waste money all the time.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Netflix spent like $150m on Irishman. Guess it doesn't do that well financially for them to not proceed immediately for this movie?

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I have no idea why Scorsese wants $200m for this. I've read the book and it makes no sense for the budget to be so high, not to mention he made Silence for 50m fairly recently (which he will have called favours in for / gone as low as possible since it was his dream project, but still).

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
I could see Netflix again being tempted here. Leo is one of the more bankable stars in the business and there is no doubt that this one will get awards attention.

That being said, a budget above 200 million is ridiculous for most films. Like somebody else mentioned, OUATIH was 100 million and looked immaculate with an all star cast.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how this would cost 200m and I don't care. Just give him all the money in the world plz.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I remember correctly, Netflix spent around 50 millions to get movies like Annihilation or The Cloverfield Paradox. Seems like they'd need to shell out over 4 times that sum for this movie. Seems extreme.

Oct 25, 2017
This reminds me of when Akira Kurosawa had to get funding from Russia and other western sources for some of this later movies. One flop and the Japanese studios told him to eff off basically. I really hope that a cherished director like Scorsese can get the funding he needs. After he's gone we'll regret it otherwise.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
Why the fuck does Scorsese need to court anyone to finance his films, it should be the other way around.

Anyway, my hope is Netflix; I'd like to actually be able to watch it.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Leo is a selective enough star that I think having his next movie (and with Scorcese at that) available exclusively on your streaming service seems like it'd be a pretty big get.
seems like a fit for netflix. dunno how their films do generally but at this point there are so many films with big holiwood budgets that are netflix produced that it makes me stick with them. and i sometimes dont even watch those movies (bright, war machine for example)

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Is there a space fighting scene or something? Are all the actors getting 10 million off the top? I mean 200 milli is alot. Especially in a post Corona world where movie theatres would probably still be feeling slow back to take.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Were some of these changes even necessary?
I haven't seen the movie, keep that in mind, but some of these CG changes seem .... bizarre. They really couldn't find a suitable external property for the shot at 1:10-1:20 ish?
Heh that's the exact moment which got me thinking too, but I must say that the CGI version does look a lot better than what they originally shot.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Netflix spent like $150m on Irishman. Guess it doesn't do that well financially for them to not proceed immediately for this movie?
It's very hard to gauge Netflix productions on how "well" it does for them financially, as Box Office doesn't exist with Netflix. Netflix doesn't get money for an X amount of streams of a movie, the only income they get from a movie is people subscribing to Netflix for the movie/staying subscribed because of the movie, which is impossible to gauge because of the sheer amount of content Netflix releases. Who's to say that Jack who was a new subscriber did so to watch The Irishman or if he subscribed because his favourite tv show finally got on Netflix and The Irishman was a nice little extra?

If you look at the BO numbers on Wikipedia or a tracking website it shows $8 million dollars, which seems dire for a movie that cost >$150 million, but that number is only counting the very limited cinema release and not the online viewership.

What I suspect with Netflix though (which is all a guess, because Netflix is notoriously secretive with their numbers and business practices) is that they only have allocated a certain amount of funds for high profile films from high profile directors (Roma, The Irishman, Buster Scruggs, Marriage Story) and they probably have allocated most of that already for the next few years + they just threw a lot of money at some shitty film with The Rock, Gal Gadot and Ryan Reynolds.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Apple, I command you to pay the son of a bitch what he wants

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
The synopsis of the book seems really interesting, might have to give it a read now I have the time.

Deleted member 11069

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Killers of the Flower Moon is an amazing book and would make a great movie. However I'm struggling to see what would justify a $200 million budget.
Same, the book always felt like an early Fincher movie to me. Why not make this for 50 and make 3 more films on the same scale. Jumping into the Marvel range with a story like this is super strange and unnecessary (just like the Irish Man)

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
Were some of these changes even necessary?
I haven't seen the movie, keep that in mind, but some of these CG changes seem .... bizarre. They really couldn't find a suitable external property for the shot at 1:10-1:20 ish?

It would have cost more to fly to England to shoot that style of the house. It makes sense to just comp it. If it's just one shot.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Same, the book always felt like an early Fincher movie to me. Why not make this for 50 and make 3 more films on the same scale. Jumping into the Marvel range with a story like this is super strange and unnecessary (just like the Irish Man)

I'm assuming that Scorsese's team got some sort of metric numbers from the Irishman to justify asking for this budget

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
I hope he manages to get funding !
It's sad that once you use the streaming services funding, your movie is done for on the market... no theater take it, zero promotion, no award, nothing...

Hope this gets funded. Did Netflix profit from The Irishman?
Sadly the movie has not seen a bluray release yet here... if it did i would have happily pitched in... i want the physical version of that movie :(

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Some of that is just ridiculous. I have a hard time believing doing some of that in real life couldn't save money.

In big Hollywood film productions, time on set is the most expensive part of the shoot. You have a large crew that needs to be paid every day they are on set. You need to make sure the takes are consistent. The more shit you have on set the more likely something goes askew. So the work between setups can take more time. Which can mean longer days and/or more days. That becomes expensive really fast. So building all of those sets to that detail would cost more when the whole production is considered.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
That's not how Netflix works. You can't really say yes or no to that question because that's not the only thing subs are paying for and it may or may not have been a driver to them keeping or buying a sub. Also they're super secretive about their viewer data so did it get a lot of viewers, yes, how many, no idea.

17 million viewers in 5 days:

www.businessinsider.com

Netflix's 'The Irishman' was completed by only 18% of US viewers who watched it on the first day, but that's on par with some other Netflix releases

About 3.9 million viewers watched Martin Scorsese's "The Irishman" on its first day on Netflix, and 17.1 million people watched it over the first five days.

I imagine those numbers went up significantly after the oscar buzz.

As for this film I'm torn. Premise sounds great/grim, the talent is there, and it's obviously in someone's interest to occasionally take a bath on prestige film, but $200 million for a historical crime drama is an *absurd* use of budget. It would be like Nintendo spending $100 million on Bayonetta 3.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017

Fincher is pretty similar with respect to budget issues. Zodiac had just as much CG and compositing as in that Wolf of Wall Street clip. Scorsese probably wins his budget battles more than Fincher though, whose projects often go sideways and never take off.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Well, it is set in the past [1920s] so it would require extensive costuming, set production and CGI set extensions. We all know how Scorsese is mad for historical accuracy.

I say go for it. I would very much like to see it realized in film form.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
This reminds me of when Akira Kurosawa had to get funding from Russia and other western sources for some of this later movies. One flop and the Japanese studios told him to eff off basically. I really hope that a cherished director like Scorsese can get the funding he needs. After he's gone we'll regret it otherwise.
That was kind of a different situation. Kurosawa spent 5 years pursuing Hollywood projects that all fell apart under strenuous circumstances and seriously messed him up mentally (especially Tora! Tora! Tora!), followed by calling on friends to help him get finance for a cheap Japanese language project that domestically bombed both critically and commercially and made him feel guilty as fuck, to the point of attempted suicide. Coupled with the in-flux Japanese film industry, everyone was extremely nervous about working with him until the Soviets bankrolled his next film, and then Lucas and Coppola helped him finance Kagemusha.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
lmao at the idea that the budget is ballooning because of "Scorsese's overreliance on CGI." that's hilarious.

A big part of it increasing is probably due to the covid production delays. Paying to have people in a holding pattern, to tear down and store sets/props that you just spent a ton of money making and building and putting up. Stuff adds up.
The book is from the same writer of The Lost City Of Z, David Grann, which made for a pretty good movie. Might give it a read.

Who are these people who read books and commission them to be films just less than a couple of years later? And these are not even the bestsellers. They turn out to be amazing films. You Were Never Really Here. Annihilation.
Readers and development departments. Their job is literally just to read a bunch of books (and other media) and condense it while offering their opinion on whether it'd make a good movie.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
If I remember correctly, Netflix spent around 50 millions to get movies like Annihilation or The Cloverfield Paradox. Seems like they'd need to shell out over 4 times that sum for this movie. Seems extreme.
...netflix didn't produce Annihilation. it distributed it digitally in some regions, that's it. same with cloverfield paradox. both movies were budgeted and produced by Paramount, and then netflix bought the distribution rights.

distribution =/= production.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
...netflix didn't produce Annihilation. it distributed it digitally in some regions, that's it. same with cloverfield paradox. both movies were budgeted and produced by Paramount, and then netflix bought the distribution rights.

distribution =/= production.

Didn't say they produced them. They bought the finished movie which skipped theatres in most or all countries.

Oct 25, 2017
That was kind of a different situation. Kurosawa spent 5 years pursuing Hollywood projects that all fell apart under strenuous circumstances and seriously messed him up mentally (especially Tora! Tora! Tora!), followed by calling on friends to help him get finance for a cheap Japanese language project that domestically bombed both critically and commercially and made him feel guilty as fuck, to the point of attempted suicide. Coupled with the in-flux Japanese film industry, everyone was extremely nervous about working with him until the Soviets bankrolled his next film, and then Lucas and Coppola helped him finance Kagemusha.

It's a very different situation, but when we look back on Kurosawa we remember a master, and the thought of having less Kurosawa without that funding is an awful one. Directors like Scorsese will hopefully get funding they need.

Also wasn't the failure of Dodes'ka-den and the subsequent failure of his studio (plus suicide attempt) the main reason why Japanese studios didn't want to gamble on big Kurosawa projects any longer, hence his need to look overseas? It's been a while since I read those books on him, I admit.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully they only give him the money this time and dont let him direct the dubs from other countries. Thanks for fucking up some of the probably finally work of some of our classic spanish voice actors scorcese.