• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'll take a bite, yes it makes a difference in a number of ways.

First of all, they take thousands of dollars each day, so shutting them down for a week has a huge impact already.

Second, it makes them know they are being watched and compromised from within.

Third, the police and officials in India are corrupt and complicit, no way around this. No doubt bribery is involved. Tons of scam attackers on Youtube from the safety of their own homes attempt to send information to the police in India, and nothing happens.

The police only take action when news stories or documentaries are released that show them for what they are. They don't like looking bad from western media. After a previous documentary, they did some arrests on one place. So viral content like this, while it can appear cynical, can help get news out in the western world, and make the police embarrassed again.

The killing of their groupchat was also a great play, could easily remove people who had some reservations about the scam calls, but thought they were safe.

Was it dangerous yes? Especially once the guys on the ground were spotted. But don't think it wasn't effective.
Indeed, it's also possible that Rober's work gets attention of perhaps John Oliver or another show for greater coverage.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
First of all, they take thousands of dollars each day, so shutting them down for a week has a huge impact already.
If you think they make a lot of money in one week imagine how much they rake in the other 51 weeks of the year you didn't shut them down. Nominally the value of shutting them down for one week is large but relatively speaking it's a drop in a bucket.

Second, it makes them know they are being watched and compromised from within.
In this context this is a bad thing. You've motivated an organization that clearly has some pretty lax security protocols to update them, making it harder to replicate the process of infiltrating them. Since this infiltration was not successful at shutting the businesses down, you've effectively made that harder to do. This is a big part of why RICO-esque investigations into organized crime became a thing in the seventies: you shoot yourself in the foot by focusing on arresting low-level people so you instead build a case at the organizational level and attempt to tie in as many people as you can at once.

Third, the police and officials in India are corrupt and complicit, no way around this. No doubt bribery is involved. Tons of scam attackers on Youtube from the safety of their own homes attempt to send information to the police in India, and nothing happens.
This is actually one of my key criticisms of the video. How can you pursue a strategy like this when at the end of the day you're relying on the local police to take the crucial step? As I said, this is largely a socioeconomic phenomenon and you're not going to get past that by sending them cockroaches and glitter in the mail.

The police only take action when news stories or documentaries are released that show them for what they are. They don't like looking bad from western media. After a previous documentary, they did some arrests on one place. So viral content like this, while it can appear cynical, can help get news out in the western world, and make the police embarrassed again.
They may conduct some PR in response, but do you follow up on these stories? What is the real impact outside of making things look good for one news cycle? Are people scammed any less by the existence of these news stories/documentaries?

The killing of their groupchat was also a great play, could easily remove people who had some reservations about the scam calls, but thought they were safe.
It's very easy to make more group chats.

Was it dangerous yes? Especially once the guys on the ground were spotted. But don't think it wasn't effective.
I'm glad we agree it was dangerous. There were two points in the video in which it's pretty obvious that luck was the deciding factor in preventing someone from getting hurt/killed, and that's pretty bad given that this is essentially the best case scenario version of the story. There's a plausible version of this story where everyone (except Mark Rober, who seems to have not stepped foot in India from what I can surmise having only watched his video) just ends up dead.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Fuck yeah.

And as for the scam defense force, dude obviously thought this was people calling for vehicle warranties not people robbing old folks with gift card scams or that shit where someone calls and says your kid was in an accident and you need to bail them out of jail. I can't imagine ANYONE would actually defend these people. I just can't.

Alolan Rai

Jan 11, 2022
I don't care what happens to the scam centers. Everyone who is apart of them should spend the rest of their days in prison. Absolutely garbage people for doing stuff like that.

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (1 week): Whataboutism with inflammatory comparison, excusing scam call centers
Quit. Find other jobs.

The people at the top can't make money if people won't work for them.
Lol, there are 2 problems. 1. You should quit your job because I'm sure your boss is exploiting people in some way and probably does more damage to people over there than they do here.

India is very impoverished. I went and saw many litteral babies sleeping on the street. I'm sure thats not the case everywhere but even new Delhi had tons of homeless children on the street. This is not the Western world where you can just quit and find a new job. There are tons of people doing odd jobs at companies just to get some money.

Not saying what they do is good, this is a very white, well off, western take.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lol, there are 2 problems. 1. You should quit your job because I'm sure your boss is exploiting people in some way and probably does more damage to people over there than they do here.

India is very impoverished. I went and saw many litteral babies sleeping on the street. I'm sure thats not the case everywhere but even new Delhi had tons of homeless children on the street. This is not the Western world where you can just quit and find a new job. There are tons of people doing odd jobs at companies just to get some money.

What... the... fuck

Oct 29, 2017

Be honest, how high are you right now and on which paint brand?

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
I get a lot of "potential spam" calls everyday and sometimes I pick up out of curiosity to see what they're selling but it's often just silence. Wonder if they know they've been flagged and just try to re-auto dial or something.

However, I did get a text the other day to my personal phone that correctly used my name and my company's name from our "CEO" (also correct name) saying I had to do something urgently for him and if you responded the scammer would of course ask you to go buy gift cards. Thankfully, the CEO has never spoken to me during my entire tenure and I already knew about the gift card scam but it is scary how much information they can gather about you. I can see how it's easy to fall for if you're not thinking or they manage to hit from exactly the right angle to be believable.

So I took a lot of pleasure watching that video today.