• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who is the more well-known character?

• Pikachu

Votes: 570 41.6%
  • Mairo

Votes: 800 58.4%

• Total voters

SpecDot

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Huh, surprising results. I would have thought Mario in a landslide.

To me the distinction is that Mario is the mascot for Nintendo and arguably video games in general. If you even know the name of a Super Mario Bros. game, you already know who Mario is.

Pikachu is the best-known Pokemon by a large margin, but not the face of the franchise. It was even made impossible to obtain in Gen V.

I suppose what would give Pikachu the edge here is that Pokemon is much more of a multimedia franchise (the TCG and the anime are both extremely prolific parts of it that have taken on lives of their own) than Mario is, and Pikachu is front and center in the anime.
BRUH. BRUUUUH.
Anyway, it's Pikachu. Mario is my dude, but c'mon, it's Pikachu.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Merch always wins. The one selling more merch with their face on it is the bigger one.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno, Era constantly overestimates Pokemon and posts a link to the wiki highest grossing page as evidence for everything. From saying Let's Go would easily outsell Smash (because look at this wiki page) to saying Detective Pikachu would outgross Toy Story (cause look at this wiki page). The Era bubble is real, but it doesn't really apply when underestimating Pokemon.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
My gut says Pikachu but I don't feel strongly about it. Pikachu is a cute animal which lends universal appeal. Mario's just, like, a dude.

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, Era constantly overestimates Pokemon and posts a link to the wiki highest grossing page as evidence for everything. From saying Let's Go would easily outsell Smash (because look at this wiki page) to saying Detective Pikachu would outgross Toy Story (cause look at this wiki page). The Era bubble is real, but it doesn't really apply when underestimating Pokemon.
My 70 year old grandma in Morocco knows who Pikachu is, but she's probably never seen Mario in her life. "Pokemania" isn't something that was just made up.

Also, this isn't about Pokemon anyway, this is specifically about Pikachu. Pikachu is a character that has transcended its own franchise in fame, but nobody thinks of Mario outside of the context of Nintendo.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. This place assumes everyone's a millennial that can recognize and name the top 50 Pokemon characters. It's weird.

These threads always end up with people acting all condescending to one another over which fictional character is more well known. Its like a console war thread but even more pointless.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
My 70 year old grandma in Morocco knows who Pikachu is, but she's probably never seen Mario in her life. "Pokemania" isn't something that was just made up.
My grandparents know who Mario is and have no idea what Pokemon is. I didn't say it was made up, Pikachu is one of the biggest characters in the world, but so is Mario. To pretend that Pikachu is so far above him that only someone in a bubble would believe otherwise is pretty silly.

All I said was people here constantly overestimate Pokemon's performance, and they do. The Detective Pikachu threads and polls show that much. So this isn't some kind of anti-Pokemon bubble like some are suggesting.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Okay I won't lie I thought it was Mario a few minutes ago because of how older adults would know Mario but likely not pickachu but then I texted my father (who for sure knows Mario but doesn't play any games but madden) a picture of pikachu and he named it correct instantly.

Maybe it is Pikachu and we're underestimating its reach to older audiences.

Fowler

Oct 26, 2017
Pokémon is huge. Pikachu is huge.

But the right answer is Mario.

japan-prime-minister-super-mario-rio-olympics-tokyo-shinzo-abe-fb.png

Here is the PRIME MINISTER OF JAPAN, emerging from a pipe dressed as Mario at the Rio Olympics.

Take a moment and think about that. Tokyo had a few minutes of one of the most-watched events in history to showcase their culture to the world. And the character they chose for the signature moment was Mario.

It's Mario.

flak57

Oct 27, 2017
this right here

For a time Mario was more recognisable then even Mickey mouse but that was in the 90s
It's pikachu now
Though I'd suspect there's some overlap

Not even close, people just misinterpreted the source.

Mario (and Sonic) at times in the 90s had a higher percentage of children in a certain age group that had them as a favorite character -out of those that recognized them- compared to Mickey ("Q Score") - Mickey was way more recognized.

Companies pay for this data like NPD so it's hard to find a complete picture for various years, but this article grouped together a bunch of them https://www.theringer.com/2020/9/9/21428984/mario-spinoffs-franchises-kart-tennis-dr

Percentage of people in the US that recognized various famous video game characters in 2020:

Sonic 75%
Mario 72%
Pac-Man 72%
Donkey Kong 65%
Batman (video games) 61%
Luigi 60%
Pikachu 58%
Yoshi 52%
Link 36%
Toad 34%
Talking Tom 34%
Crash Bandicoot 25%
Master Chief 16%

Compared to Mickey at 88%.

Yes, Sonic was number 1. Maybe things outside games were a bigger part of that.

Edit: Other non gaming characters for 2020:

Donald Duck 84%
Spider-Man (movies) 80%
Geico Gecko 79%
Charlie Brown 78%
M&M's Candy Characters 77%
Scooby-Doo (cartoons) 76%
Miss Piggy 76%

Last edited:

PinballRJ

Oct 25, 2017
Not even close, people just misinterpreted the source.

Mario (and Sonic) at times in the 90s had a higher percentage of children in a certain age group that had them as a favorite character -out of those that recognized them- compared to Mickey ("Q Score") - Mickey was way more recognized.

Companies pay for this data like NPD so it's hard to find a complete picture for various years, but this article grouped together a bunch of them https://www.theringer.com/2020/9/9/21428984/mario-spinoffs-franchises-kart-tennis-dr

Percentage of people in the US that recognized various famous video game characters in 2020:

Sonic 75%
Mario 72%
Pac-Man 72%
Donkey Kong 65%
Batman (video games) 61%
Luigi 60%
Pikachu 58%
Yoshi 52%
Link 36%
Toad 34%
Talking Tom 34%
Crash Bandicoot 25%
Master Chief 16%

Compared to Mickey at 88%.

Yes, Sonic was number 1. Maybe things outside games were a bigger part of that.

Who the hell is talking tom?

Grain Silo

Dec 15, 2017
I lean towards Pikachu, simply because he's famous for more than video games.

Here is the PRIME MINISTER OF JAPAN, emerging from a pipe dressed as Mario at the Rio Olympics.

Take a moment and think about that. Tokyo had a few minutes of one of the most-watched events in history to showcase their culture to the world. And the character they chose for the signature moment was Mario.

It's Mario.

This however, is also a strong argument.

Right

Nov 24, 2017

It's Mario.
Well he can't dress like Pikachu

A_Jazzy_Book

Oct 27, 2017

It's Mario.
Yeah, I said Pikachu but I'll never forget about this. I was like "wow, he's that friggin' big huh?"
Makes me giggle now when his popularity is downplayed.

flak57

Oct 27, 2017

Frodo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely Mairo.

I feel the older generation will definitely recognise Pikahcu but they probably won't be name to name it.

Wislizeni

Oct 27, 2017
It's Pikachu. I want to add, though Pokemon covers multiple forms of media, it was conceived as a video game first and foremost, then adapted to other forms. So they still have the claim to biggest video game character of all time. And this is coming from someone who enjoys Mario overall more than Pokemon. I'd say Mario is the second biggest video game icon, and honestly, that's not a bad ranking at all.

Jane

Oct 17, 2018
Came in to be snarky about "Mairo" but I see a lot of people already had it covered LOL

Deluxury

Dec 3, 2018
Worldwide it's Pikachu, and it's not even a close contest. Just visit regions where Nintendo has a weak presence and most people will still know who Pikachu is, including people who have never used the internet nor smartphone before. Pikachu is a in-your-face mascot chosen by TPC that goes far beyond video games.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
I do think in terms of the overall IP, that Mario has more cross generational appeal than Pokemon. All ages enjoy Mario whereas Pokemon in my life experience seems like only something that's enjoyed by kids and adults who grew up with it as kids.
Yeah, it's ancedotal, but my Grandma would recognize Mario whereas she would have absolutely no idea who Pikachu was. The only game she's played is Wii Sports bowling with us once or twice.

Although I imagine in certain regions of the world that would be the complete opposite.

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Pikachu due to merchandise. Mario is more popular in gaming circles but for everyone else it's more likely that they've seen pikachu merchandise than mario merchandise.

Worldwide it's Pikachu, and it's not even a close contest. Just visit regions where Nintendo has a weak presence and most people will still know who Pikachu is, including people who have never used the internet nor smartphone before. Pikachu is a in-your-face mascot chosen by TPC that goes far beyond video games.

Basically this.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't trust this as a source.

The tracking material it references are fragmented and inconsistent, making comparisons functionally unworkable. For instance, the most recent "rest of world" metrics for Pokemon merchandise has it clocking in at 2.98B, the 23rd ranked franchise, whereas the number one merchandizer is 18.4 times as large...but it's all under a generic "Disney" banner.

Meanwhile, trying to check the numbers associated with Winnie The Pooh, the highest singularly identifiable Disney property to see where *those* are being sourced from...gets an error, but it's not the same source as where the Pokemon numbers are from. We can't tell how any of these are calculated, and when there is most certainly hard-to-place Disney merchandizing going on, this matters.

Even beyond that, it could well be argued that several of these different entries are in fact single entities (Spider-Man, MCU, Captain America, Avengers, and Thor are all separate; Frozen and Disney Princesses are separate; DCEU and Superman are separate), are extremely out of date, inexact, or incomplete (Princesses is from 2007 and for some reason doesn't include box office; Mario's game numbers are from an IGN article without a source and just mentioned as a franchise vs only being a video game) and so on.

This just doesn't work, and as someone who works [sometimes] in media finance, I really, really wish people would stop using it.

Furthermore, in the case of Mario v Pikachu for which of the two is more popular, two more issues arise:
-Pikachu is not the same as "Pokemon"
-Franchise gross is not the same as popularity

Last edited:

sbenji

Jul 25, 2019
Luigi and Peach are bigger icons than Pikachu. Not even close when talking about Mario. This would be like asking if Mickey Mouse was a bigger icon than the kid from UP (ok that is not an apt comparison — maybe Woody is better)

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Pikachu is the Pokémon mascot , and Pokémon is a way bigger franchise than Mario at this point so Pikachu wins easily for me at least.