• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you like snow?

• No, but I like water!

Votes: 77 9.8%
  • Of course, everybody does!

Votes: 519 66.4%
  • Sand is the new snow!

Votes: 186 23.8%

• Total voters

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
[Mild Spoilers, I guess]

Do you remember Mario 64's, Banjo-Kazooie's, or, my favorite, Diddy Kong Racing's lovely snow-themed environments?

As someone who loves snow in movies, games and reality I was really looking forward to see what kind of cheerful snowy playgrounds Nintendo's magicians have created this time.

But man, was I disappointed. The "Main Hub" looks, feels, sounds and plays so unbelievably uninspired that it's hard to believe it comes from the creators of Mario. Plus an unsatisfactory racing minigame against charmless snow-humanoids living in a charmless tiny cave that acts as the "highlight".

It was hard to believe this was everything Nintendo could come up with. Upon entering stupid Snow Town I thought now must be the point where the real deal opens up, full of white wonders and delightful atmosphere, but NO. Nothing. Just endless depression :(

Anyone else who likes snow and was endlessly disappointed?

Nekyrrev

Oct 28, 2017
I agree with your sentiment. There are a lot of wonderful worlds in this game but the snow one just feels like a missed opportunity for so much more. It's pretty underwhelming and uninspired.

Raptomex

Oct 25, 2017
I agree. It was very bland and lifeless. I like snow-themed environments but this was one of the weaker kingdoms in the game.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Yes I was disappointed too. That world along with the ruined Kingdom being too short were my biggest disappointments in an otherwise awesome game.

Casual

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Agreed.

Awful snow level. Snow levels are usually my favourite in games...

Freezeezy Peak
Phendrana Drifts
Literally every DKC snow level
Winterspring
etc.

Aftervirtue

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
True.... Nothing will top Banjo Kazooie's winter level. So much charm and fantastic music.

But those little Eskimo guys were adorable in Super Mario Odyssey and that race was fun.

Not

Oct 25, 2017
US
The character design was actually pretty good I thought. But yeah, not an amazing level all things considered.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
By far the worst kingdom in the game, only one that comes close is the Lake Kingdom. The way it was set up with a small over world and a bunch of little challenge levels was very disappointing. Since they revealed it ahead of release I expected to see a 2nd snow/ice level. The music of the town area is nice with that flute, but otherwise it has very little going for it. The race minigame was very one dimensional

Strat

"This guy are sick"
Apr 8, 2018
As much as I wanted to love it, it's definitely one of the weakest worlds in the game. The outside area is pretty bare and the inside is just a couple of linear areas strung together by a hub.

I'm with you in loving snow levels, OP and was similarly disappointed.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Off the top of my head, I really can't think of a worse world than the snow one.

I really liked the racing minigame in there, but the entire thing feels undercooked and unremarkable.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's the kingdom I spent the least time in but the blizzard at the start made a huge impression and Bound Bowl was radical so even if it's the "worst" I still can't call it bad. It'd be more fair to call it "least favorite".

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
I enjoyed it but it's definetely the only uninspired kingdom of the game. Some nice challenges, but as a snow world is probably the worst among Mario 64 and Galaxy 1/2.

Serenitynow

Oct 25, 2017
I loved the Snow Kingdom in Odyssey. The Shiveria music is some of the best in the game, and I liked the mini levels inside the hall, specifically the cloud blowing one, the one where you have to stack Goombas, and the one with the pillar monsters popping out of the snow. Bound ball is fun too. One of my favorite kingdoms.

NeonStars

Feb 23, 2018
[Mild Spoilers, I guess]

Do you remember Mario 64's, Banjo-Kazooie's, or, my favorite, Diddy Kong Racing's lovely snow-themed environments?

As someone who loves snow in movies, games and reality I was really looking forward to see what kind of cheerful snowy playgrounds Nintendo's magicians have created this time.

But man, was I disappointed. The "Main Hub" looks, feels, sounds and plays so unbelievably uninspired that it's hard to believe it comes from the creators of Mario. Plus an unsatisfactory racing minigame against charmless snow-humanoids living in a charmless tiny cave that acts as the "highlight".

It was hard to believe this was everything Nintendo could come up with. Upon entering stupid Snow Town I thought now must be the point where the real deal opens up, full of white wonders and delightful atmosphere, but NO. Nothing. Just endless depression :(

Anyone else who likes snow and was endlessly disappointed?

Yeah but to be fair 64s snow levels weren't that great either, especially the 2nd one.

Oct 27, 2017
The food world is worse. It's like they gave some world's to the interns and the best ones to the veterans. The quality and consistency are all over the place.

Jan 25, 2018
The outside part of the snow world is pretty dull and the obvious low-point of the game for me. I do love the cave though, and I can't agree with OP's assertion that the racing minigame is unsatisfying at all. It's actually my favourite minigame in the game. I think for the outside area the creators were trying to channel the feel of Super Mario 64 levels (similar to the Lost Kingdom), but overshot it in terms of simplicity.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Snow kingdom is great. Much better than stuff like the Sand, Wooded, and Seaside kingdoms.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
One of my favourites in the whole game actually.

Come on - those seal things are adorable.

Amirnol

Oct 27, 2017
I agree. For me it was a low point in an otherwise amazing game. I too share your fondness for snow environments and left this world hugely disappointed.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was pretty cozy. It's mid tier for Odyssey. Not great, but way better than something like Moon or Desert or Woodland.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
charmless snow-humanoids living in a charmless tiny cave that acts as the "highlight".
I'm sorry, let's stop right here.

How dare you, sir or ma'am. How. Dare. You. The Shiverians are the most adorable thing to exist in SMO.
tumblr_oylgk8mq2A1shzk1mo1_500.jpg

They're cute puffballs that just want to sit by the fire and watch some idiots bound around a track.

NeonStars

Feb 23, 2018
The food world is worse. It's like they gave some world's to the interns and the best ones to the veterans. The quality and consistency are all over the place.

Nah the food one is great. Tons of fun platforming and great music.
I think all the Kingdoms are at least good. There wasn't one that I walked into and said "ugh I hate this"

KelThaFunkee

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah kinda tend to agree thinking back on it. The races were a bit annoying, I was especially bothered by the "bound" command and still not sure if that was actually a typo for bounce.

Also those 4 levels within the second part of the world reminded me of BotW shrines, which I also wasn't a huge fan of

Nov 11, 2017
Italy
I agree, it is the worst level of the game and one of the worst 3d-mario stage ever.

What's more, it was horribly placed, if i remember well just after NDCity that is one of the best, and after the Festival that is the best part of the game.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
I wish it was like Paper Mario's Shiver Mt. that place is such a cool snow level and the music is perfect.

This level was just a whole inside a whole in the ground. Was so mad when the blizzard went away and it was just a so small. Might as well called it Crystal pond or something.

Apr 9, 2018
University of Delaware
While not the best kingdom by a mile, I really liked the Snow Kingdom, the Shiverians were adorable, the racing mini-game I found to be very fun, and I liked how they did an ice level where not EVERYTHING is slippery and hard to platform on. As one of the of kingdoms on the smaller side that weren't just boss fights, (Cap, Lake, Snow, Lost, and Moon I'd say are this category) this is one of my favorites out of those.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
I agree. It was probably either cut down from being much more, or maybe just included because what was there was still usable.

Would I have want it cut? Nope. I was actually fine with a smaller level as an option, even though it's a far less compelling world to visit. It's less believable that some people group live there, as opposed to just showing up for a race minigame like Mario does.

I'm still fine with how the entire game turned out, even with this lesser world included. I liked the mini game, and some of the hidden levels.

Nov 1, 2017
It would have been better if the challenges were integrated into the world as opposed to being sectioned off in their own rooms IMO. The seals were really cute though ^_^

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
Agree. There was just so little to do and see, and what was there wasn't particularly compelling.

Droyd

Mar 1, 2018
I loved this level. Mario's animation, his pattering footsteps, the gentle ringing of town music... The game slows down in Shiveria and takes a quiet, deep breath (before letting Ty-foo blow you off the cliff side).

Also, the Snow Kingdom really made me appreciate Odyssey's art and sound design. They really stand out here (arguably because the level is so bare and empty) but I enjoyed the contrast. It's self contained and no worse than the Lake Kingdom.

Having said that, my least favourite level is the Wooded Kingdom (I'm not a graphics snob but I hate the aesthetic here) so maybe my tastes differ