• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mario games don't compete with each other like that. This isn't a Mario game. It's a Mario Golf game. It's big enough that it's its own thing.
It's super weird this even has to be explained. Mario Golf has its own large fanbase and they haven't been served yet on Switch. Hell, this is the first Mario Golf game that can be played on a TV in 18 years.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Unless you're an insider and have evidence to support your theory that Camelot doesn't want to work on Golden Sun (or anything else), you're just jumping into your own conclusions. I'm basing myself in the facts that the J-RPGs genre is quite popular right now on the Switch ecosystem, supported by both how Nintendo highlighted Project Triangle as big prospect in the Direct and how the fan reaction was positive, but you seem to act like this isn't the case or isn't something to be taken into consideration.

Not every IP needs to be Mario-level of sales to be worthy of investment. If we follow your logic, I guess Nintendo should cancel and shaft everything they have which doesn't carry the Mario, Pokémon, Animal Crossing, Zelda or Splatoon name on it. I just love how some people try to act like shareholders but in the end they support crazy narratives which goes against their interest as gamers.

There's a difference between medium tier sales like Metroid, Fire emblem, Kirby, Yoshi, etc, and Golden sun, whose latest entry ate up a *lot* of development time, more than any of the sports titles ever have, and came out as a sales flop, a critical reception flop, a fan reception flop, and probably buried the series forever as a result.

There are two major reasons why it makes sense that they were doing golf as their next game:
1) You say things like "JRPGs are popular right now on switch", but Mario Tennis switch has outperformed every major JRPG on the system. Working on a title that will sell more absolutely matches peoples "interest as gamers".

2) JRPGS are already well served on switch. Even ignoring all the third party offerings, we still have had from Nintendo published titles: Xenoblade 2, Xenoblade 2: The golden country, Xenoblade Definitive edition, Octopath Traveller, Bravely Default II, Fire Emblem three houses, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Pokemon Sword/Shield, Pokemon Lets go , and several more you could argue are at least JRPG inspired. Golden sun would have to compete with all of these for mindshare, and most of these will roll right over it. Hell, all of them except Tokyo Mirage Sessions would definitely outperform it.

Meanwhile the market for a major (mario) golf sports game is completely unserved.

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
Gigantic plot spoilers for TLOU2 (dont read if you ever plan on playing the game)

Joel gets killed off within the first couple of hours of the game, he's killed with a golf club

Ah I knew about the first part but not the details.
lol
I don't plan on playing it... to creepy/depressing for me.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Unless you're an insider and have evidence to support your theory that Camelot doesn't want to work on Golden Sun (or anything else), you're just jumping into your own conclusions. I'm basing myself in the facts that the J-RPGs genre is quite popular right now on the Switch ecosystem, supported by both how Nintendo highlighted Project Triangle as big prospect in the Direct and how the fan reaction was positive, but you seem to act like this isn't the case or isn't something to be taken into consideration.

Not every IP needs to be Mario-level of sales to be worthy of investment. If we follow your logic, I guess Nintendo should cancel and shaft everything they have which doesn't carry the Mario, Pokémon, Animal Crossing, Zelda or Splatoon name on it. I just love how some people try to act like shareholders but in the end they support crazy narratives which goes against their interest as gamers.

This is a completely hypocritical argument considering your usual fare of "Nintendo should have games they don't usually make" to justify F-Zero, Metroid, etc.

Well, Golf is not something they make, and in comparison to the variety of Jrpgs in the platform, Mario Golf brings something more unique.

Symtendo

Aug 10, 2020
I just played the first course of World Tour for comparison and it's definitely got much more character than what we saw in the direct!

I'm hoping it's just an early build but hope they keep the charm (I played with Mii and the group of Mii's on the course reacting to the score after every hole was so cute)

Edit: it's the trees! World Tour had very Mario style Trees where as these seem more true to real life trees. Also the Hudd lacks personality

Greekboy™

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I just played the first course of World Tour for comparison and it's definitely got much more character than what we saw in the direct!

I'm hoping it's just an early build but hope they keep the charm (I played with Mii and the group of Mii's on the course reacting to the score after every hole was so cute)

Edit: it's the trees! World Tour had very Mario style Trees where as these seem more true to real life trees. Also the Hudd lacks personality

These trees give me more of a BOTW vibe.

Deleted member 19702

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's a difference between medium tier sales like Metroid, Fire emblem, Kirby, Yoshi, etc, and Golden sun, whose latest entry ate up a *lot* of development time, more than any of the sports titles ever have, and came out as a sales flop, a critical reception flop, a fan reception flop, and probably buried the series forever as a result.

I highly doubt Mario Golf requires more development muscle than Fire Emblem: Three Housee, for example, which even required outside help from Koei Tecmo and the series never had stellar sales but didn't prevented Nintendo to bet on the series. In Camelot's case, the studio barely has more than 100+ employees, I don't get where your point about Mario Golf requiring so much effort is coming from.

Any way, what "critical reception flop" and "fan reception flop" are you talking about? The latest FE, Kirby, Yoshi and even Metroid games had very good reception and there's any indicative Nintendo will pull off those franchises.

There are two major reasons why it makes sense that they were doing golf as their next game:
1) You say things like "JRPGs are popular right now on switch", but Mario Tennis switch has outperformed every major JRPG on the system. Working on a title that will sell more absolutely matches peoples "interest as gamers".

It doesn't nullify the demand for the genre in the system. It's like saying ND should never make another Uncharted game because TLOU is a better seller which is a strawmanned conclusion.

Anyway, Mario Kart and Mario Party are stronger spin offs than the Sports games, it's not like there'll be a shortage of Mario titles. Well, if we're going deeper into this territory, then Nintendo should rebaptize all their mid tier franchises to the Mario brand.

You're digging your head too deeply into your market darwinism cognitive dissonance.

2) JRPGS are already well served on switch. Even ignoring all the third party offerings, we still have had from Nintendo published titles: Xenoblade 2, Xenoblade 2: The golden country, Xenoblade Definitive edition, Octopath Traveller, Bravely Default II, Fire Emblem three houses, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Pokemon Sword/Shield, Pokemon Lets go , and several more you could argue are at least JRPG inspired. Golden sun would have to compete with all of these for mindshare, and most of these will roll right over it. Hell, all of them except Tokyo Mirage Sessions would definitely outperform it.

Meanwhile the market for a major (mario) golf sports game is completely unserved.

Outside of Pokémon, neither of those franchises are that big stellar sales either, they don't have that much market share into a 80+ million userbase and it's very unlikely they would alienate interest from new games of the genre on the system. Anyway, high demand for a genre isn't a good counter point, either, as we can see the FPS and open world genres. Very few can have the sales of GTA and COD but this isn't stopping their respective genre to have a huge offering and alternatives, you're just being assumptious with your cognite dissonance.

It's amazing how market darwinism is the crux of your points. I'm glad you aren't in charge of Nintendo or any other gaming publisher, otherwise the market would become a oligopoly of the biggest IPs.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
This is a completely hypocritical argument considering your usual fare of "Nintendo should have games they don't usually make" to justify F-Zero, Metroid, etc.

Well, Golf is not something they make, and in comparison to the variety of Jrpgs in the platform, Mario Golf brings something more unique.
Studios should have the freedom to make the games I want, and no other.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
I highly doubt Mario Golf requires more development muscle than Fire Emblem: Three Housee, for example, which even required outside help from Koei Tecmo and the series never had stellar sales but didn't prevented Nintendo to bet on the series. In Camelot's case, the studio barely has more than 100+ employees, I don't get where your point about Mario Golf requiring so much effort is coming from.

Any way, what "critical reception flop" and "fan reception flop" are you talking about? The latest FE, Kirby, Yoshi and even Metroid games had very good reception and there's any indicative Nintendo will pull off those franchises.

It doesn't nullify the demand for the genre in the system. It's like saying ND should never make another Uncharted game because TLOU is a better seller which is a strawmanned conclusion.

Anyway, Mario Kart and Mario Party are stronger spin offs than the Sports games, it's not like there'll be a shortage of Mario titles. Well, if we're going deeper into this territory, then Nintendo should rebaptize all their mid tier franchises to the Mario brand.

You're digging your head too deeply into your market darwinism cognitive dissonance.

Outside of Pokémon, neither of those franchises are that big stellar sales either, they don't have that much market share into a 80+ million userbase and it's very unlikely they would alienate interest from new games of the genre on the system. Anyway, high demand for a genre isn't a good counter point, either, as we can see the FPS and open world genres. Very few can have the sales of GTA and COD but this isn't stopping their respective genre to have a huge offering and alternatives, you're just being assumptious with your cognite dissonance.

It's amazing how market darwinism is the crux of your points. I'm glad you aren't in charge of Nintendo or any other gaming publisher, otherwise the market would become a oligopoly of the biggest IPs.

Seems like your entirely problem is with the Mario IP instead of this being a sports game (that the Switch doesn't have much of, incidentally).

If the idea is to bring genre diversity, then Mario Golf is far more preferable than just another Jrpg.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The art style / graphics seem bad to me because its like they are going for a more "realistic" course design. I love the idea of running from shot to shot, but it would be so good if the courses were exotic like mario levels. 3DS Mario Golf had great course design so I am hoping there are some diverse courses yet to be revealed.

Good4Squat

Nov 2, 2017
Love these kinds of arcadey golf games, hope the story mode is good, since Aces story mode turned out pretty dissapointing.

Kimbou

Jan 22, 2021
I'm not concerned about the course designs. The first ones shown are always the basic green ones. I'm pretty sure there'll be more exotic, Mario-style ones too.

Hootie

Dec 25, 2017
Was hoping this would come out in April to coincide with the Masters tournament but June isn't so bad.

I'm glad they have a career mode but I wonder just how deep it will actually be. I want another Mario Golf/Tennis GBC level of story mode, damnit!

Brewster123

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA
The Switch is already well-covered for jrpgs. I think Nintendo made the correct move prioritizing Mario Golf, as the Switch has relatively few sports games, at-least compared to jrpgs. Keep in mind I say this as someone whose completed both gba Golden Sun games.

awake4ages

Neo•Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017
The Golden Sun salt in here is unreal lmao. Can't believe people are dismissing a new console Mario Golf as "just another Mario game" just because Camelot isn't making them a new Golden Sun.

It ain't happening guys, join us F-Zero and Punch-Out fans in the perpetual misery of knowing one of your favorite franchises is stuck in Nintendo hell

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Mario Golf was my highlight of the Direct. Might pick this up after finishing Ratchet & Clank.
Unfortunatepy this releases after my paternity leave so less time to play...

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean one course appears to possibly be the Wooded Kingdom from Odyssey right? Where Daisy is shown in the large forest.

neilyadig

Nov 13, 2017
Speed golf seems neat, but I worry it will limit the creativity in the course design if courses have to be traversable by foot. All the courses in the trailer looked quite flat and grounded realistically speaking. So no lobbing golf balls onto tiny islands inside a volcano like in Toadstool Tour or stuff like that anymore. I want fantastical courses, but I guess we'll have to see how it plays out.

Having islands etc is a staple of regular golf games and Mario golf games -- even Wii Sports golf. So I have to imagine that some courses just won't be playable in speed golf, or there will be some other traversal mechanic to get there.

Hopefully there are no MMO/F2P-ish interfaces or mechanics in this game and I was afraid they were going to try something like that. I know Everybody's Golf PS4 wasn't MMO/F2P but in some ways it kind of felt like it was. It was new and cool for a bit but in hindsight I wish it had just been a standard EG game with menus instead of that odd hub-world thing. I ended up playing it a lot less than earlier EG games.
Definitely agree with you on the last iteration Everybody's Golf, but I don't think Nintendo will go that route...

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Really thought they would go introduce a new character when I saw that lady running, but it was just a mii.

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
Yo, seeing Donkey Kong (very briefly) in this trailer got me thinking.
Not counting Skylanders, is this the first time since Mario Strikers we can control DK in 3D?

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I can't believe there are people so intensely arguing about a new Golden Sun in here. That series is long dead and the last game bombed.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017

I'm not concerned about the course designs. The first ones shown are always the basic green ones. I'm pretty sure there'll be more exotic, Mario-style ones too.

Yeah I'm sure the later ones will be more unique. And if not, there's a good chance we'll get DLC courses anyway, which will definitely have some wackier courses.

It better have custom tournaments like the 3DS game.

The online tournament component of World Tour was so good. I really hope it makes a comeback. I spent so much time competing in them.

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
Super Sluggers released after Strikers, plus there's several of the Mario vs Sonic games. So nah.
Oh yeah you're right. I thought the Mario vs Sonic games were just QTE's, but I forgot about stuff like skateboarding & football. Never played Sluggers personally.
Anyway, don't mind me 😅 I'm just so eager to play a new Donkey Kong 3D platformer, that even the smallest thing sticks out at this point.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
I understand people want a new golden sun, but while the switch is host to a lot of great JRPGs, there's not a single quality 3D arcade golf game on it. Mario Golf is filling a way bigger void in the Switch library than another Golden Sun would, and to be frank it's kind of annoying that people come in here to write eulogy's to Golden Sun instead of just talking about the game actually being made.

And for people complaining it's "another" mario game, arcade golf games are not nearly as plentiful as they were in the past. Being tied to the Mario license helps games like this get made and make a great theme for a goofy golf game. I understand this may not be what people wanted Camelot to be made, but instead of mucking up a place to talk about a specific game to complain about what's not there, can you make a different thread to discuss Camelot on the whole and disappointment of no Golden Sun?

Anyhow, Game looks great, I really enjoyed everybody's golf outside of the bad structure that required you to replay the same courses over and over again, so I am stoked for this. Speed Golf seems like a great fun mode to play online with friends this summer who may not be as into purely golf games.

May 5, 2018
Poor Yoshi and DK going about the golf course nude while everyone else from Toad to Bowser gets snazzy golf clothes. Or maybe they choose the nude life? I dunno.

I got pretty excited about this announcement. I love Golf games and dug the GBC Mario Golf so with story mode making a return I hope this one is much deeper than the story mode we got in Mario Tennis Aces. Also speed golf looks like it can be a lot of fun and I want to see more of that. Fingers crossed we get some cool left field Mario Characters in the game like Pauline, Diddy Kong or heck bring Chain Chomp back from Tennis.

I know people seem down on the courses, but hopefully there's more courses that have more personality. Also look back and when they showed Waluigi in the desert. Looked like something was moving around in the background.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
It looked good in the trailer but looking a bit more closely at the screens, it looks a bit rough. Hopefully the course designs get more interesting the more you progress.

Toño

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spain
The Golden Sun salt in here is unreal lmao. Can't believe people are dismissing a new console Mario Golf as "just another Mario game" just because Camelot isn't making them a new Golden Sun.

It ain't happening guys, join us F-Zero and Punch-Out fans in the perpetual misery of knowing one of your favorite franchises is stuck in Nintendo hell
Oh the Nintendo hell, is a bit crowned now. The only good thing is that sometimes one of the ip living there escapes and gets one more thing. Sadly, the Advance Wars ip is too lazy to try.

Well, at least is not the Sega's seven hells.

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not worried about Golden Sun, but the fact that Mario Tennis GBC's story mode never got a proper sequel is infuriating.

Still, no one does sports RPGs like Camelot, and it's been waaay longer since weve seen a good one out of Nintendo than it's been since we saw Golden Sun.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have to agree with SyndicateWars, Instro & others on this one. Mario has had plenty of titles on Switch now.
  1. Super Mario Odyssey
  2. Super Mario Maker 2
  3. Super Mario 3D All-Stars (featuring Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine & Super Mario Galaxy 1)
  4. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe (Featuring the original NSMBU game & New Super Luigi U)
  5. Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury
  6. Paper Mario: The Origami King
  7. Super Mario Party
  8. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
  9. Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit
  10. Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
  11. Mario Tennis Aces
  12. Mario Golf: Super Rush
  13. Mario & Sonic at Tokyo 2020 Olympics
Mario games on eShop:
  1. Mario Bros.
  2. Super Mario Bros.
  3. Super Mario Bros. 2 (Japan)
  4. Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA)
  5. Super Mario Bros. 3
  6. Mario: Open Golf
  7. Super Mario All-Stars
  8. Mario's Super Picross
  9. Super Mario World
  10. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
  11. Super Mario Kart
  12. Super Mario Bros. 35
Heck, Splatoon's getting a 3rd game now, as well as Zelda getting Skyward Sword HD, Twilight Princess HD, Wind Waker HD & a sequel to BOTW alongside the other four Zelda games being released on Switch. There's nothing wrong with throwing a bone on other past IP's like Golden Sun every now & then.
If it's an RPG and it flops, Nintendo has shown by what happened to Alpha Dream they ain't going to save a company they don't own.

And like with Alpha Dream if Camelot/Nintendo decide to do Golden Sun, if those of you who are posting like this aren't several hundreds of thousand strong, and it does flop like 2 on DS then it could very realistically lead to them closing their doors.

This notion that "there is nothing wrong" with just throwing out IP's that don't sell is actively dangerous for Studios.

Even Square's Tokyo RPG factory, who's games release on Switch mind is rumored to have been struggling as Square wasn't seeing good returns on the investments.

Take that in for a moment, Square Enix the premier JRPG studio's own Mid Tier budget JRPG studio isn't selling enough. Nintendo was going to shutter Fire Emblem after Radiant Dawn if Awakening didn't blow up, and that was a 3DS game, not even close to the budget needed doe Switch.

People are being way to glib when this hypothetical GS3 is very likely a multimillion dollar project and Nintendo isn't no Saint if a 3rd party doesn't deliver.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Super excited for this and glad to see they're going to continue making them. Looks real good from what we've seen so far.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I need this game artworks right now, haha.
I wonder if they're doing the expansion pass thing again, I loved the extra courses.
Space one can work with rainbows serving as bridges for speed golf.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
Hell, all of them except Tokyo Mirage Sessions would definitely outperform it.
I highly doubt that last point, TMS sadly flopped hard on the switch, I think somewhere around 800,000 units shipped. I could see Golden Sun remaster getting at least a million sales if not more. There aren't a lot of RPGs like Golden Sun to be honest.

I'm pretty sure the Warioware games have sold better than Metroid games, should we stop having new Metroid games? Rhythm heaven and Retro's Donkey Kong sold better than Metroid Prime, should Retro only make Donkey Kong? All I want a second chance that isn't a late game poorly marketed and sold on a system that already has a successor announced shortly around when the game came out. Never mind NOA torpedoed the marketing, almost making me wonder if they were trying to make sure the game failed.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not worried about Golden Sun, but the fact that Mario Tennis GBC's story mode never got a proper sequel is infuriating.
Sadly it never will. There's no way Nintendo would greenlight a Mario spinoff nowadays with a bunch of original characters.

It's a damn shame the story mode in this is using Miis and generic Mario enemies instead of a cast of original characters.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I really wish this was coming sooner than June!

It's given me a nudge to go back to some older games though. Trying to decide between N64, GBA or 3DS to play next.

I fucking love Mario Golf!

Beamerball

Jan 16, 2018
I need this game artworks right now, haha.
I wonder if they're doing the expansion pass thing again, I loved the extra courses.
Space one can work with rainbows serving as bridges for speed golf.
Oh, did previous Mario golf games have an expansion pass? If so, I'd be down for that. Going all in with this one!