• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 30, 2017
Lyrical delivery in this song is made in a way to add texture to an already abstract, strange sounding song because Thom Yorke and the band were outright rejecting their rock star status post OK Computer. Thom in particular was uneasy being in that spotlight and you can hear it (interviews from the band during this era corroborate this too). Manson on Mechanical Animals is instead embracing his role of rock star (which he always has) but this time putting on a David Bowie cosplay act in the process. It's pop, and unlike literally anything off Kid A, is designed to be as easy to consume as possible, including Manson's role as rock star that he is very loudly projecting. The repetitive lyrics on MA suit this purpose, he wants to make sure everyone in the back gets it if they haven't already.

I disagree these songs can be compared, and yeah, MA is Manson in full pop hook overload, which with songs as long as they are on that album (4 out of 14 songs are under four minutes, with some stretching past 5 for some damn reason) I agree do tend to get pretty repetitive. It's weird that that element of the record is being debated, it's what I liked about it when I was a Manson fan. The songs were easy to digest and those hooks repeated themselves more often than other poppy songs which I found pleasing.

I also have no idea why this thread keeps devolving onto tangents about NIN and the quality of Manson as an artist. I liked the dude but have zero qualms about throwing his albums in the trash and also don't really see why his qualities as an artist need defending at all. Carnby's critiques for MA aren't revisionist history, these were very common critiques made upon the album's release.
OMG this thread is weird. That was my point about arbitrarily using repetition as a criticism - i love radiohead, and kid A is my favourite by them.

Status
Not open for further replies.