• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Blue Box is the spiciest vanilla love triangle I've ever read. This chapter had the most wholesome tension that nobody in the triangle has really picked up on yet.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dont reach much manga outside OPM and DBS. I know the Murata redraws have an erratic schedule but this seems like the longest we've gone, at least going by the Shonen Jump app. Has something happened or this just abnormal?

ONE and Murata just can't help going back and redoing entire sections of the series. I think they're going back to new chapters but even those release erratically.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused on the redoing entire sections part. They go back and redo stuff that's already been redrawn?

ONE still writes and story boards things so I believe it's mostly on him but feels like he didn't really plan any of the longer term aspects of the story out and the redraws are adding info or making certain aspects far more explicit. It's pretty damn sloppy if you ask me especially when there is so much added or padded material even before the redraws. This arc has been going on for like 8 years now.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
Kaiju #8 1-44
It has a decent premise but the manga went in a different direction than I expected. It looks like the whole series might be about fighting stronger and stronger Kaijus

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
I'm confused on the redoing entire sections part. They go back and redo stuff that's already been redrawn?
For example Phoenix dude vs Kid scientist or BDSM mind control woman vs Sweet Mask were remade. Some of it was I think to better align it with original webcomic (like, I think Sweet Mask doesn't massacre the mind controlled people now). One of these was remade twice IIRC.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For example Phoenix dude vs Kid scientist or BDSM mind control woman vs Sweet Mask were remade. Some of it was I think to better align it with original webcomic (like, I think Sweet Mask doesn't massacre the mind controlled people now). One of these was remade twice IIRC.

The redraws have done faaar more to distance the manga from the webcomic. The Phoenix Man fight was over in like 2 pages in the web comic and he's got multiple forms among other things added in for the manga.

Oct 27, 2017
ONE still writes and story boards things so I believe it's mostly on him but feels like he didn't really plan any of the longer term aspects of the story out and the redraws are adding info or making certain aspects far more explicit. It's pretty damn sloppy if you ask me especially when there is so much added or padded material even before the redraws. This arc has been going on for like 8 years now.

I keep hearing this and I'm honestly skeptical, because just the tone and pacing were FAR different from Mob Psycho and OPM, which very much sound like ONE whereas the Murata version doesn't anymore

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I keep hearing this and I'm honestly skeptical, because just the tone and pacing were FAR different from Mob Psycho and OPM, which very much sound like ONE whereas the Murata version doesn't anymore

The gratuitous amounts of fan service are definitely Murata's addition. It's a collaboration project but from how it's been described ONE is still the lead on a lot of elements outside the actual art itself.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
The redraws have done faaar more to distance the manga from the webcomic. The Phoenix Man fight was over in like 2 pages in the web comic and he's got multiple forms among other things added in for the manga.
Not gonna die on this hill but it's the redraw changes to og murata versions that matter to the argument, not the differences between One's and Murata's versions, which yes (I assume) are always a plenty. The phoenix fight was comparatively lengthy to webcomic in each Murata instance and the last redraw afaik added long term characterization for Child Emperor (his qualms about hero org) just as the newer Sweet Mask stuff smoothed his edge. Both I assume are gonna come up somewhere in the future, sweet masks' arguably already did.

Deleted member 40853

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 9, 2018
PPPPPP 1

I found this pretty boring and I'm not really a fan of the character designs. I guess we'll see where it goes. I probably would have rather had more Candy Flurry

JJK 159

This was good but I'm still not loving the direction the series went in after the Shibuya arc. Maybe it's because I got into it late just as the Shibuya was ending and binged everything so now I'm just impatient, but the series just felt much tighter to me before. We've had a bunch of mini arcs and the main cast has been sort of sidelined. When is the last time Kugisaki appeared?

Neru 10

I'm really enjoying this and the art is fantastic. The series feels pretty grounded which is nice. I hope it sticks around.

Red Hood 11

So many characters, so little chemistry. I liked the start but I'm just not really enjoying this and the pacing is off. Why are we spending so much time in a series about fighting giant werewolves on people fighting other people?

Blue Box 21

Nothing new to add, but this is my current fave. I like how Taiki is not a total ditz. Just a very cute series and the art is fantastic.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna die on this hill but it's the redraw changes to og murata versions that matter to the argument, not the differences between One's and Murata's versions, which yes (I assume) are always a plenty. The phoenix fight was comparatively lengthy to webcomic in each Murata instance and the last redraw afaik added long term characterization for Child Emperor (his qualms about hero org) just as the newer Sweet Mask stuff smoothed his edge. Both I assume are gonna come up somewhere in the future, sweet masks' arguably already did.

To be blunt most of the stuff added has been of little interest to me and just feels masturbatory at this point. Like who gives a fuck about all the Tank Top people?

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
I literally just found out one of my favorite martial arts series is finally getting released later this year.

oucgv2kns3c61.jpg

The Breaker is finally coming back. Bro I remember reading this series back in High School like goddamn. This series had a worse hiatus than Hunter x Hunter lol.

Edit: Went back to previous threads and I saw phaze mentioned me back in Jan 2021 in regards to The Breaker coming back lol.

Last edited:

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
To be blunt most of the stuff added has been of little interest to me and just feels masturbatory at this point. Like who gives a fuck about all the Tank Top people?
Oh sure, I agree wholeheartedly.

I literally just found out one of my favorite martial arts series is finally getting released later this year.

The Breaker is finally coming back. Bro I remember reading this series back in High School like goddamn. This series had a worse hiatus than Hunter x Hunter lol.
AquaWateria has me on ignore confirmed.
UBOwMVP.png

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
PPPPPP 1

I found this pretty boring and I'm not really a fan of the character designs. I guess we'll see where it goes. I probably would have rather had more Candy Flurry

JJK 159

This was good but I'm still not loving the direction the series went in after the Shibuya arc. Maybe it's because I got into it late just as the Shibuya was ending and binged everything so now I'm just impatient, but the series just felt much tighter to me before. We've had a bunch of mini arcs and the main cast has been sort of sidelined. When is the last time Kugisaki appeared?

Piano's artstyle remind me of D. N. Angel a lot. That older late 90s/early 2000s style of fluffy hair that goes thru the eyes.

JJK yeahhhh the plot has just been so disconnected and it loses me a lot. I forgot which series I was reading this ch :x Got weird after blue eyes got sealed up. How long will it be till he comes back? Will he?

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Piano's artstyle remind me of D. N. Angel a lot. That older late 90s/early 2000s style of fluffy hair that goes thru the eyes.

JJK yeahhhh the plot has just been so disconnected and it loses me a lot. I forgot which series I was reading this ch :x Got weird after blue eyes got sealed up. How long will it be till he comes back? Will he?

Gojo isn't coming back any time soon. It would defeat the entire point of sealing him in terms of the narrative and much of the story currently is based on everyone running wild with him out of the picture.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Gojo isn't coming back any time soon. It would defeat the entire point of sealing him in terms of the narrative and much of the story currently is based on everyone running wild with him out of the picture.

He made things interesting tho :x Especially with most of the main cast gone, too. Anime-watchers are sure going to be pissed when they find out that a popular char like him is gone for a long period of time (as well as all the heartache from Shibuya).

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He made things interesting tho :x Especially with most of the main cast gone, too. Anime-watchers are sure going to be pissed when they find out that a popular char like him is gone for a long period of time (as well as all the heartache from Shibuya).

Except most of the really interesting stuff didn't involve Gojo in the slightest. That and I'm not sure I get the complaint about the main cast not being around when they've been the focus for the majority of the mini arcs after Shibuya.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
In regards to JJK I kinda fell off it after the Shibuya arc especially considering how much the main cast is getting sidelined.

It sucks too considering I got a lot of enjoyment from Yuji, Nobara, and Megumi interacting and working together. It's why Origins of Obedience is one of my favorite arcs in JJK. Now we have Nobara mia and other characters that I really do not care much for getting focused on. The arc with Naoya felt not only rushed to me it also lacked a lot of focus. It was supposed to be the arc to give Maki greater focus and development, but instead it felt out of place and made me care less for her.

I'm not sure if Gege taking lots of breaks affected his workflow and is the reason why everything after Shibuya feels incoherent in terms of pacing. It's weird going really high on the series to now being meh on it.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Did they say anything about an English release for Tatsuki Fujimoto's short stories? Here's one of the covers.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Spy X Family 53

Yor is so freaking cool, holy shit

Wonder how we'll get back to status quo even with Yor taking significant injuries now. Will it just get handwaved or will there be more to it?

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Spy X Family 53

Wonder how we'll get back to status quo even with Yor taking significant injuries now. Will it just get handwaved or will there be more to it?

"She was in a car accident, she's fine but is recovering in a hospital" seems like a good excuse to cover for any injuries Yor sustains during this fight.

Oct 26, 2017
Px6
I'm a sucker for underdog stories where it's hard work versus natural talent but the character designs on the other hand, wish that hair could be contained

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Spy X Family 53

I hope not. She just started thinking that Loid would be okay with it if he knew she was an assassin. Would kinda suck to go back to the status quo after such a long arc.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I hope not. She just started thinking that Loid would be okay with it if he knew she was an assassin. Would kinda suck to go back to the status quo after such a long arc.
I agree with you there, but at the same time, I feel like this series is too reliant on the status quo for anything major to change.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Spy x Family 53

I was really expecting/hoping for Anya to charge in and save the day or something, but a powred-up Yor works too :p I can't help but wonder when the secrets will be discovered.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I think that the best outcome here is that Yor *mostly* covers it up with like some kind of Garden super-healing stuff, but misses something or flubs her lie, which causes Loid to get suspicious of her. Mostly a reset back to status quo, but with a new plot angle. Don't really see any need to rush things along, but it'd be nice to see the mutual deception start weakening.

Deleted member 40853

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 9, 2018
I would be pleasantly surprised if there was some kind of new angle with Spy x Family. I think Yor will probably just say there was an accident or something and Loid will just accept it at face value. The series formula has been that after moments of intensity we reset back to the status quo and the lighthearted family/school stuff. Which I greatly enjoy!

I think if Loid and Yor ever find out about each other, it will probably happen at the very end. I could also see an ending where they both retire and ride off into the sunset as the Forger family, with both being non the wiser about the other.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I would be pleasantly surprised if there was some kind of new angle with Spy x Family. I think Yor will probably just say there was an accident or something and Loid will just accept it at face value. The series formula has been that after moments of intensity we reset back to the status quo and the lighthearted family/school stuff. Which I greatly enjoy!

I think if Loid and Yor ever find out about each other, it will probably happen at the very end. I could also see an ending where they both retire and ride off into the sunset as the Forger family, with both being non the wiser about the other.

My theory is we're gonna end up in a scenario where Twilight is tasked with taking down the Thorn Princess and Yor is tasked with assassinating Twilight.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
but my otp was canon and that was all i need, still wish we had actually drawn chapters of how they discussed getting together and being a happy couple, and all before we got the final chapter.

Domestic life bonus chapter was what i'd really, really, wanted more of.
I liked it up until Ch. 44. Started out extremely strong, meandered a bit in the middle, then 44 happened and it destroyed all good will it had built up. I forced myself to finish it because it was so close to the end, if it wasn't for that I would've dropped it then and there.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Been reading Witch Watch and it's kinda frustrating. At times, the writing is great. It's the exact kind of warm blanket thing I was looking for where characters don't just linger in frustrating circumstances, no conflict lasts too long at all (at least so far), and there's a surprising dose of sincerity in what otherwise could be a pretty cliche premise.

But then, because every chapter so far has been entirely self-contained, and some of the chapters have just been . . . one-page nice moments that are stretched across 20 to fit that form.

I'll probably keep reading for now because hey, I already pay for Shonen Jump. But my initial enjoyment has been dampered a bit.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I forgot how much I enjoy Thermae Romae, I should pick up those deluxe volumes sometime... *sees prices on vol 1, apparently OOP* lol just kidding!!

(Hopefully it gets reprinted one day, had no idea they were so old...)

CrimsonN0

Oct 25, 2017
Watamote SE Booklet
Kinda neat. A continuation of the previous Special Edition where it shows the "what-if" scenarios of Tomoko joining different cliques.
Also, a popularity poll and favorite "friend" pairing poll.
Not really a lot of surprises there except for Yuri actually beating out Tomoko for the number one spot and Sachi being so high up.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
oh, so that's why there was so many alt-tomoko and yurikuro arts floating around recently

MadnB

Oct 25, 2017
I liked it up until Ch. 44. Started out extremely strong, meandered a bit in the middle, then 44 happened and it destroyed all good will it had built up. I forced myself to finish it because it was so close to the end, if it wasn't for that I would've dropped it then and there.
What specifically did you hate about that chapter?

GamePnoy74

Oct 27, 2017
Just got back from a trip in Napa and it's wanting me to get back into reading Drops of God, even better since it's free with with my Amazon Prime subscription via Comixology.

I read a few chapters of it a while back, it's a fun read on how it turns wine tasting into an adventure...I'm pleasantly surprised it's getting an international live-action adaptation, really hoping it turns out well.

variety.com

‘Drops of God’ U.S.-Franco-Japanese Manga Adaptation Begins Production (EXCLUSIVE)

‘Drops of God,’ a multinational, multi-lingual Manga adaptation begins filming for Legendary Television, Dynamic Television and Hulu Japan.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
What specifically did you hate about that chapter?
Pretty much everything that came out of Shingo's mouth was utter garbage, as well as Kensuke espousing some real misogynistic bullshit.
Theres also the whole using sexual abuse trauma as an excuse for homophobia, and Shingo's entire "Well aren't you the real bigots for not tolerating his intolerance?" argument.

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
Just got back from a trip in Napa and it's wanting me to get back into reading Drops of God, even better since it's free with with my Amazon Prime subscription via Comixology.

I read a few chapters of it a while back, it's a fun read on how it turns wine tasting into an adventure...I'm pleasantly surprised it's getting an international live-action adaptation, really hoping it turns out well.
Finished reading it on kindle unlimited a while back and I was very amused to see once I finished it their is a sequel series with about as many volumes.