• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Is Me and the Devil Blues still continuing?
I dunno what is going on anymore with that series. I remember reading it when it first started, and he put it on hiatus to start Prison School, which was the most jarring switch I've experienced from a mangaka. Hiramoto finished up RaW Hero (which I haven't heard great things about) last autumn, so I don't think he has anything else going on. We'll either see if he starts something new or goes back to Me and the Devil Blues by the end of this year, I'd imagine. He typically keeps busy, so this seems like the longest break he's had between projects in many years.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
That's funny, I tend to do the opposite -- I read the ones I want to read the least first, just to get them out of the way so I can really enjoy the good stuff. I guess it's the same as eating your favorite part of the meal first, or saving it for the last bite lol! I tell c is definitely always first just so I can be done with it... not sure why I haven't dropped it yet, but at this point I'm just trying to stick with it till the end, which is hopefully soon.
This is how I tend to read. Usually the longer running series or the more impactful ones come last. One Piece is always the last thing I read as most of the other stuff isn't as nearly impactful.

Deleted member 40853

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 9, 2018
"didn't want to load up just because it's on sale" - haha who would do that... :|

As for recommendations, I've got plenty! I think there are some Kodansha books in the community recs in the OP, as well. Recommendations from me personally: A Silent Voice, To Your Eternity (also in the Humble Bundle), Parasyte, Mushishi, and Vinland Saga.

Thanks for these recs! Think I will definitely grab A Silent Voice. Since I'm still kinda new to all this, do sales like this happen often or is this pretty rare? Trying to decide how much I should load up or just hold off for next time lol. I already have a lot of stuff to read.

Oct 25, 2017
nice theyre getting BL again

NEW MANGA ANNOUNCEMENT: New York, New York New York police officer, Cain, while hiding that he's gay, goes out every night in Manhattan in want of a one night stand. But when he meets his ideal man, Mel, he finds the love of his life… Available October 2021!

4 Volumes from 1995
EzrF07LWQAEbONF

OP
OP
LaunchpadMcQ

LaunchpadMcQ

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for these recs! Think I will definitely grab A Silent Voice. Since I'm still kinda new to all this, do sales like this happen often or is this pretty rare? Trying to decide how much I should load up or just hold off for next time lol. I already have a lot of stuff to read.
The extra 50% off is extremely rare; I honestly thought it was an error at first, and I was coming to post it here as if it was one lol. In my time watching CMX manga sales pretty diligently (~2 years), I haven't seen this happen before. That said, Kodansha does put their stuff on sale very frequently in general. They do themed weekly sales, and then linewide sales during Black Friday or the holidays. Those are at a set price you can predict very reliably. To give you a frame of reference, this extra 50% off does make everything cheaper than it has ever been because the 50% off is being taken off whatever the current price was and not the list price.

If you want to do a comparison of what you're saving over one of their regular sales, look at the striked price, halve that and round up to the nearest dollar; that's what the price would be in one of Kodansha's typical sales. Example: for list price of $10.99, the book will go on sale for $5.99 in one of their weeklies, but the current extra 50% makes them lower than that:
X7XH5rV.png

(Not sure if that's more than you wanted to know...)

Voror

Oct 25, 2017
Kaiju #8 32

Really enjoyed this chapter and another good action scene, though that's a hell of a cliffhanger when we've got quite the wait. I'm glad they didn't try to hide it again. There was a possible out they could have taken with it, but they didn't. Now I'm just curious where we go from here.

Given they didn't immediately try to kill him but instead take him in, I would think they at least seem to recognize he saved their lives. That he doesn't appear to resist at all could also make him an important source of information.

I'm most curious how everyone will treat him going forward since I could see some questions being raised that never really got brought up that I've wondered about like:
1. Is #8 even really Kafka or did the original Kafka die the moment that slug thing went into his body with the current Kafka just being #8 with all of Kafka's memories? I could see some like Mina viewing it that #8 essentially killed and replaced him even if Kafka doesn't view it that way. Might also bring out some questioning from Kafka about all that.
2. Is Kafka seemingly retaining an allegiance to humanity part of the plan in a sleeper agent sense or a completely unintentional screw-up? I'd lean towards the latter currently, but there's been the unspoken chance that something could suddenly switch on in Kafka someday and he just goes full monster. If someone brought up the possibility to him, I don't think he could really dismiss the possibility. Then again, this whole spat of new humanoid monsters could very well be something experimental by the monster's side with Kafka just being an example of a defect.

At best, he could become a weapon for the Corps they keep on a very strict leash or experimental fodder.

Oct 26, 2017
Kaiju #8 32

Really enjoyed this chapter and another good action scene, though that's a hell of a cliffhanger when we've got quite the wait. I'm glad they didn't try to hide it again. There was a possible out they could have taken with it, but they didn't. Now I'm just curious where we go from here.

Given they didn't immediately try to kill him but instead take him in, I would think they at least seem to recognize he saved their lives. That he doesn't appear to resist at all could also make him an important source of information.

I'm most curious how everyone will treat him going forward since I could see some questions being raised that never really got brought up that I've wondered about like:
1. Is #8 even really Kafka or did the original Kafka die the moment that slug thing went into his body with the current Kafka just being #8 with all of Kafka's memories? I could see some like Mina viewing it that #8 essentially killed and replaced him even if Kafka doesn't view it that way. Might also bring out some questioning from Kafka about all that.
2. Is Kafka seemingly retaining an allegiance to humanity part of the plan in a sleeper agent sense or a completely unintentional screw-up? I'd lean towards the latter currently, but there's been the unspoken chance that something could suddenly switch on in Kafka someday and he just goes full monster. If someone brought up the possibility to him, I don't think he could really dismiss the possibility. Then again, this whole spat of new humanoid monsters could very well be something experimental by the monster's side with Kafka just being an example of a defect.

At best, he could become a weapon for the Corps they keep on a very strict leash or experimental fodder.

I didn't even consider the possibility that Kafka is "dead" and kaiju no 8 is just wearing his skin and using his memories. Isn't that what kaiju no 9 (?) did when it disguised itself as a sweeper and that driver but since it was kaiju to start with it failed at passing for human.

Really interested in Kafka being like a double agent for both humanity and the kaiju side if he has 2 seperate conscious

Voror

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even consider the possibility that Kafka is "dead" and kaiju no 8 is just wearing his skin and using his memories. Isn't that what kaiju no 9 (?) did when it disguised itself as a sweeper and that driver but since it was kaiju to start with it failed at passing for human.

Really interested in Kafka being like a double agent for both humanity and the kaiju side if he has 2 seperate conscious

No. 9 seems more like it just took his skin though it may have gotten the memories too. We know the first form we saw appeared to be someone that actually existed and it definitely seemed to be going for an infiltration angle. Kafka at the very least kept his own personality and will seemingly with it just being he can turn into a monster.

No idea if they'd actually go that way, but I don't think the possibility can be ruled out. Kafka currently is extremely powerful so if there was ever a time he seemed to rogue it could be a nightmare for the Corps. There's really so much we don't know about the monsters. I'm interested for instance about those designated No. 1 - No. 7 prior to Kafka and No. 9. We also don't know what exactly the weird slug thing meant when it told Kafka that it had found him.

Oct 28, 2017
No. 9 seems more like it just took his skin though it may have gotten the memories too. We know the first form we saw appeared to be someone that actually existed and it definitely seemed to be going for an infiltration angle. Kafka at the very least kept his own personality and will seemingly with it just being he can turn into a monster.

No idea if they'd actually go that way, but I don't think the possibility can be ruled out. Kafka currently is extremely powerful so if there was ever a time he seemed to rogue it could be a nightmare for the Corps. There's really so much we don't know about the monsters. I'm interested for instance about those designated No. 1 - No. 7 prior to Kafka and No. 9. We also don't know what exactly the weird slug thing meant when it told Kafka that it had found him.
I'm guessing a compatible host, seems odd Kafka specifically would be targeted.

Voror

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing a compatible host, seems odd Kafka specifically would be targeted.

Yeah, that would make the most sense. I can't think of any reason currently why he would be targeted specifically except potentially his job but then there are plenty of others they could have gone with.

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, that would make the most sense. I can't think of any reason currently why he would be targeted specifically except potentially his job but then there are plenty of others they could have gone with.
I had that idea also, and the only other thing it could be is his relationship to Mina but honestly that's grasping at straws.

Deleted member 40853

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 9, 2018
The extra 50% off is extremely rare; I honestly thought it was an error at first, and I was coming to post it here as if it was one lol. In my time watching CMX manga sales pretty diligently (~2 years), I haven't seen this happen before. That said, Kodansha does put their stuff on sale very frequently in general. They do themed weekly sales, and then linewide sales during Black Friday or the holidays. Those are at a set price you can predict very reliably. To give you a frame of reference, this extra 50% off does make everything cheaper than it has ever been because the 50% off is being taken off whatever the current price was and not the list price.

If you want to do a comparison of what you're saving over one of their regular sales, look at the striked price, halve that and round up to the nearest dollar; that's what the price would be in one of Kodansha's typical sales. Example: for list price of $10.99, the book will go on sale for $5.99 in one of their weeklies, but the current extra 50% makes them lower than that:
X7XH5rV.png

(Not sure if that's more than you wanted to know...)

This was hugely helpful! Thanks a bunch. So it's at least a couple bucks per volume over the usual sales. It's payday so I decided to just grab everything I had my eye on hah

Blue Period 1-3
Witch Hat Atelier 2-7
Cardcaptor Sakura 1-7
BLAME! 3-6
A Silent Voice 1 (might grab the rest if I enjoy the first volume)

Since you mentioned watching Comixology sales, have you ever seen Fullmetal Alchemist on sale? I wanted to read it but it's more expensive than print!

OP
OP
LaunchpadMcQ

LaunchpadMcQ

Oct 25, 2017
This was hugely helpful! Thanks a bunch. So it's at least a couple bucks per volume over the usual sales. It's payday so I decided to just grab everything I had my eye on hah

Blue Period 1-3
Witch Hat Atelier 2-7
Cardcaptor Sakura 1-7
BLAME! 3-6
A Silent Voice 1 (might grab the rest if I enjoy the first volume)

Since you mentioned watching Comixology sales, have you ever seen Fullmetal Alchemist on sale? I wanted to read it but it's more expensive than print!
I grabbed Blame and Witch Hat, as well! Blame took a couple of chapters to grow on me but it seems very good. Witch Hat was love at first chapter. 😍

They went on sale last year. I'm not sure how frequent it is, but Yen Press does do sales on a way less frequent basis than Viz or Kodansha. The weird thing with FMA is Yen Press has the digital license but Viz has the physical license, so...

i would actually suggest getting the hardcover version since, updated translation, and a few more things were added.
This ends up happening. lol You would probably be fine either way, but the Viz hardcovers are the definitive releases.

Last edited:

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
Yen press volumes usually seem to be discounted as ebooks compared the the physical volumes by defaul. Though a while back their ebook prices seemed to increase across the board slightly.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Our Not-So-Lonely Planet Travel Guide, Vol 1

55859777.jpg

Ok, I was actually annoyed by this. The quick overview of this is 2 guys (in love with each other) decide to go on a trip to multiple different countries, and in this first volume, they leave Japan and go to Thailand, India, and Georgia. The manga provides travel advice/tips (such as "USD is easier to convert to any other countries money than Yen is" "Several countries have laws against single use plastic bags so you should carry around spare bags because you might need them"), as well as highlighting things about each country/locations- such as Georgia being the birthplace of Wine, The sheer amount of people in India, etc. You get to see landmarks, local food, etc.

But when they land in Thailand, they run into a transgender woman, and we then get taught about LGBT folks in Thailand, how open (especially in comparison to Japan) the country is with regards to LGBT individuals, etc. They end up going around with this person and another LGBT individual on some adventures, and it actually was really interesting to me! I was thinking "oh, cool, it's also going to be about different LGBT cultures around the world, that's actually a really cool idea for a BL!
IMG-4204.jpg

....and then we get to India, a country where gay sex was literally a criminal act until 2 years ago....and we don't get ANYTHING about LGBT culture. Instead, we get a borderline racist chapter where every single person in the country is trying to scam them as foreigners? It's just really out of nowhere. We then go to Georgia, a place with not the best LGBT laws but not completely awful (ie, no unions/marrige allowed but there are anti-discrimination laws, you can get your gender recognized, etc), and again nothing is brought up.

I just feel really disappointed, If they hadn't done the stuff in the first location, I wouldn't be expecting it at all, but when it's the first thing you do, I kind of expect more of it, instead of just ignoring it.

dojo32161

Sep 4, 2019
Detective Conan 1070
Cool setup for this case, having a message from Haibara's sister to be the prize is a good concept.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Love me for who I am, Vol 3
IMG-4210.jpg

This volume revolves around a lot of people getting closure. Tetsu finally reveals to his friends that not only is he working at a otokonoko cafe, but his "older brother" is actually his "older Sister", and that he and Mogumo are in a relationship. Mogumo takes Mizunoe to an LGBT Pride festival , and tells her that because Mizunoe is a lesbian and only likes girls, they aren't compatable because Mogumo doesn't identify as a girl. The LGBT festival also helps Mizunoe get over her deep-seated self loathing/homophobia and become more open to people.

It's weird, in that I see that this ended with 5 volumes, but we sort of have all the closure we need for most of the plots, I don't know how you get 2 more volumes out of this...

flotsch

Jan 20, 2021
I am looking for ePubs of Manga in Japanese language. I bought some manga from amazon.co.jp (Attack on Titan and The Promised Neverland) but I don't see a way to convert them into ePubs or in any kind of way use them outside the Amazon ecosystem (you can't just copy them from the Kindle App Download folder like you do with normal books). Apart from that I don't want to support Amazon for various reasons.

I am about to try honto.jp for Chainsaw Man, but I am not sure if I need a special app or so. Do you have any other suggestions or recommendations for DRM free Japanese language manga in a standard file format like ePub or PDF?

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
After finishing the Horimiya anime, I binge read the manga over the whole of the last week.

There were so many sweet moments that I really didn't want it to end and so in my insanity I read the whole thing twice before finishing off the last few chapters- never done this before lol.

I really think there's so much more stories they could tell with this cast, I could think of a couple of minor plot points that could get some resolution but I guess I'll have to get over it eventually. I thought about checking out the webcomic but from what little I've heard/read it seems oddly dark at times and comes across as a 'first draft' of sorts.

Not sure if they have any intention to continue the series in some way but I personally would love to see more.

Oct 26, 2017
Reread RobotxLaserbeam after watching Kuroko no Basket again...I don't know if this has anything to do with it but the Robo is like waaaaaaaaaaaay too OP even with his supposed "shortcomings" he almost overcomes them in a chapter or so which is probably why it's kinda hard for me to get hyped for each match.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with an naturally talented MC but Robo's precision and ability to learn in mere instances makes also for a broken character when trying to make them grow. I like Sena and Hinata's growth in their respected series because it felt like a natural progression. Even if RXL wasn't axed, Robo's growth as both character and player feels haphazardly done

I liked Kuroko no Basket because Kuroko is part a underdog team and his main skill is supporting his teammates through passes (although later, drives and shots were a cool touch). It was the teams he played against that were OP which made it interesting to see how he and Seirin would overcome the odds.

I also like Kuroko's lack of presence and his unflappable persona way more than Robota's (jeezus was that even the RXL MC name--yes I reread the series this morning--I dont remember any of the character's names :/) robotic mannerisms because 1. I've known people like Kuroko who have a natural poker face and brutal straightforwardness so it doesnt come off as unnatural 2. Robo's (lack of) expressions/personality outside of golf as comes as beating the reader over head with a "hey look look he's like a robot! Isnt that a scream!" It mostly comes as annoying and cringey.

I wont even get into the lack of love for decently writing the senpais in the golf club were practically pushed aside in the 2nd half, that sudden timeskip, and well everything else...

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Reread RobotxLaserbeam after watching Kuroko no Basket again...I don't know if this has anything to do with it but the Robo is like waaaaaaaaaaaay too OP even with his supposed "shortcomings" he almost overcomes them in a chapter or so which is probably why it's kinda hard for me to get hyped for each match.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with an naturally talented MC but Robo's precision and ability to learn in mere instances makes also for a broken character when trying to make them grow. I like Sena and Hinata's growth in their respected series because it felt like a natural progression. Even if RXL wasn't axed, Robo's growth as both character and player feels haphazardly done

I liked Kuroko no Basket because Kuroko is part a underdog team and his main skill is supporting his teammates through passes (although later, drives and shots were a cool touch). It was the teams he played against that were OP which made it interesting to see how he and Seirin would overcome the odds.

I also like Kuroko's lack of presence and his unflappable persona way more than Robota's (jeezus was that even the RXL MC name--yes I reread the series this morning--I dont remember any of the character's names :/) robotic mannerisms because 1. I've known people like Kuroko who have a natural poker face and brutal straightforwardness so it doesnt come off as unnatural 2. Robo's (lack of) expressions/personality outside of golf as comes as beating the reader over head with a "hey look look he's like a robot! Isnt that a scream!" It mostly comes as annoying and cringey.

I wont even get into the lack of love for decently writing the senpais in the golf club were practically pushed aside in the 2nd half, that sudden timeskip, and well everything else...
I've known a few Autistic guys like Robota actually so that doesn't bug me that much. The balance didn't work well though.

Oct 25, 2017
Nine Dragon's Ball Parade 11

Wow, thought the brothers would join somehow, guess not.

Good Tsubaki chapter, lol Good baseball.

Roboco 39

Definitely one of the most forgettable chapters. Not even funny.

Magu-chan 41

One of the best chapter. Loved the golem decoy.

i Tell C 13

Hard to feel connected to this knowing thats its probably not long for this world. In any case, zany wacky chapter. Somewhat fun.

High School Family 32

This manga is so underrated, loved this chapter.

Hard-boiled cop and dolphin 40

Best femchar in this manga and probably in jump right now. Epic action scene.

Watch out Murofushi.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Dr. Stone 194

How much time has/will pass then.

Will Suika finally become an older teenager or so?

I didn't think itd be a search for more fluid.

Why did the two week pause have to happen now.

Ayakashi Triangle 42

WOW

mom touching her son there, what even?!

Mashle 60

Please don't let Innocent Zero disrupt this match. Its extremely compelling.

Also glad Tartar Sauce wasn't just a gag, lol.

Elusive Samurai 14

All things end well.

Genba was epic.

Last edited:

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I feel c
Honestly now that it seems everyone in this world is crazy this is actually getting fun, should have led with that.
9 Dragons ball parade
Ok so it was a rival setup, and getting the word out, I'll imagine we'll get some dropouts/reserves coming to them next chapter to speed things out. Some average roster fillers and one or two more extreme characters coming to them makes sense

Fun set of chapters this week. MYF feels like it's setting up some additional plot threads. Plenty of options for more arcs

Oct 25, 2017
Witch Watch 12
Ez1acUVXMAEFcYp

Cute.

Kinda wish this pulled the plot of the guy helps the girl with the guy but ends up falling for him instead, with how attentive kan is would totally think he and moi would be cute.

Otherwise, funny chapter. Really amazing series since his arrival.

Sakamoto Days 21

Dinosaur fight will be pretty fun.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Highlights of the week:
One Piece 1011 - Oda continues to surprise week-on-week. What an absolute heel-turn.
MHA 310 - So we Batman now? Interested in the role between the 1st and the other two and their hesitancy on handing over their powers to Deku.
Candy Flurry 2 - Strong enough second chapter and a unique enough premise, even if the acceptance that she's not the real Lollipop user was a bit abrupt. Hopefully it has some time to grow as the MC is pretty sweet.
Sakamoto Days 21 - It's wild to me just how well the comedy and horror play off each other so well. Louis seems like he's seen better days.
Witch Watch 12 - Sadly, it looks like Nico's attempts only helped Moi get more popular with other female students.
Elusive Samurai 14 - Smart enough way to trick the eyes and ears and the bit at the end is a great way to avoid needing to worry about losing land.
Dr. Stone 194 - Suika being all alone and her breaking down actually got to me. She's not Senku and she is still just a child, but that start for her was rough.
Hard-Boiled and Dolphin 40 - For a series I keep thinking is on the verge of ending, this is still pulling out all the stops.
High School Family 36 - Okay, that's a hilarious way to teach someone. Definitely not boring. Also, didn't know there was a 28 year old sibling!
Magu 41 - They must actually live in an alternate world where a weird floating thing can easily talk to the police and have them just walk away like whatever was said to them makes normal, logical sense.

Oct 25, 2017
Ayakashi Triangle

Yabuki must have A LOT of pull at Shueisha because this was leeeewd.
"New teacher grabs Matsuri's breasts and sticks her hand down his fundoshi, oh turns out to be his mother" Would not be out of place in a hentai.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Right?!? Feels like it's got much better footing as an outright comedy than whatever was going on before.
Yeah, establishing that anyone with power in this world is outright crazy in some way would have been a great hook if it had been the pull from the start. Like if they had hinted at him being odd but not revealed and geared into this in like the third chapter rather than this build up with the switch out being oh it turns out the entire department is insane too but have been flying under the radar as less directly disruptive rather than she's an anomaly at the department

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
One Piece 1011
Y'know, other than occasionally destroying their houses in a hunger induced rampage, Big Mom did treat the people of Totland pretty decently, didn't she? Like, their cities are literally made of food, it checks out that she wouldn't be a fan of how shitty Kaido is to the people of Wano

Mashle 60
I continue to enjoy all these absurd explanations for how Mash gets around his opponent's attacks. Much more fun than him just brute forcing his way through everything.

Candy Flurry 2
This feels like they picked Shonen Power Themes out of a hat, ended up with candy, and then inserted it into the plot afterwards. Nothing about this is grabbing me. The art style, the setting, the tone, it's just a lot of meh.

dojo32161

Sep 4, 2019
One Piece 1011
Y'know, other than occasionally destroying their houses in a hunger induced rampage, Big Mom did treat the people of Totland pretty decently, didn't she? Like, their cities are literally made of food, it checks out that she wouldn't be a fan of how shitty Kaido is to the people of Wano
Yeah, Big Mom's problem when it comes to her citizens is abandonment issues, "Oh, you want to leave? Spin the death wheel."

Last edited:

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Not a fan of Big Mom heel turn, Oda is pulling the same thing he did with Hancok and I already was kinda meh on that

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
It's not really a heel turn, it makes sense for a character like her. Big Mom's entire thing is how she was basically abandoned and shunned as a child, so it makes sense she'd go ham on these dudes a bit for what they did. I don't expect her to help them beat Kaido, but she's at least going to tear into shit a bit here.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's not really a heel turn, it makes sense for a character like her. Big Mom's entire thing is how she was basically abandoned and shunned as a child, so it makes sense she'd go ham on these dudes a bit for what they did. I don't expect her to help them beat Kaido, but she's at least going to tear into shit a bit here.
That isnt my problem, the problem is that Oda seems to be pulling back BM from being an actual antagonist