• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Why does Robotnik's capsule ship have a head light in Sonic 1 and no headlight in Sonic 2?

d4l5wmx-64a822af-e5c3-4624-a467-28495697cf7f.gif
mysticcavezoneboss_shot2.png

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Why does Sonic 2 suddenly have 7 emeralds when Sonic 1 had six? Fuck you Sega
8 emeralds

Eggman had 1 emerald in 1 which prompted him to tey and get the others. Sonic gets all other 6 out of the special zones but because of magic and chaos they depart away.

In sonic 2, eggman or tails created a fake 8th emerald in order to track them all down but sonic got them first upon when the emeralds deemed sonic worthy of their power.

That is my head canon at least

Also, eggman was just testing different egg mobiles because he can :v

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
Sonic 2 was for decades one my favorite games, but NOW I see that truth that Sonic was never good!

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Sonic 2 is the worst of the classic games, only something I figured out years later. It's the one with the most style though.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
What about the fact that robotnik has been shown in the games to be able to outrun Sonic, ON FOOT?
See:
Robotnik can outrun Sonic if he is properly prepared. His unusual body contains several speed bladders, which contain excess fast. If he has enough velocity stored up he'll be able to outrun even Sonic in a short sprint.

That's easy. It's fear. Picture this:

You're an industrialist, trying to modernize a backward planet and raise up standards of living through the use of technology, for the common good. One day, some of your industrial robots are blown up by a sentient, supersonic blue hedgehog. That's scary as fuck. Now, said hedgehog has it in his head that you're a monster who's turning animals into robots and wants to take over the world and oppress it, in large part because of all the steroids, speed, colloidal silver, and other assorted shit he's been taking in massive quantities for the past decade. You decide to see if you can't reason with the guy, but for your troubles you get assaulted, and your ride gets trashed beyond recognition.

So you decide to deal with this like you would with any other pest problems: You put out some traps, like spike pits, modify a couple of your robots with .22 rifles, etc. The way you'd deal with any rodent, really. Soon enough, the hedgehog gets himself impaled, and you're done. Or so you think. Soon after, despite having quite clearly been drained of his precious bodily fluids, he's back and trashing your robots again. Maybe the other one was some sort of decoy? No matter, you're taking this into your own hands. You modify your ride, mad max style, adding a couple of guns, some spikes, missile, slowly swinging giant balls, that kind of stuff. Then you roll. You meet the hedgehog and after a brief struggle where he manages to make one or two lucky hits on spots you haven't really bothered armoring, you make him into thin gruel. This time you're sure he's done for.

How wrong you are. Soon after, he's back. You can't believe it. You try to kill him yourself once more, but this time he seems to know where to strike. He seems to know when to strike. He seems to know when you'll strike. Once you realize that, you try to change your attack patterns, but it's too late, he's done enough damage to blow up your vehicle, and you barely escape with your life. For the next few days, he follows you, destroying everything you throw at him, and it's obvious he won't stop until he gets you. You can't sleep. You watch as he destroys everything you've done to help people: one after another, chemical plants, oil refineries, amusement parks, all you've built, gets blown up by this satanic, unholy, immortal demon from the deepest pits of hell. When you do manage to take him out, he's back within hours.

Eventually, as you're trying to escape to the one place where you think you're safe, space, he defeats one of your latest creation, and for the first time, you're face to face with him. There's no steel plate protecting you. There's no vertical distance. He's there, staring at you with those empty, demonic eyes.

You run like you've never run before. You just fucking run.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
He couldn't install thrusters on the bottom because that would burn against the car's chassis?

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Maybe he just wanted to fly in a helicopter, a change of pace you might say.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I saw the video till Hill Top. Sonic 2 is such an awesome videogame

OzBoz

May 29, 2019
I bet an early version didn't have the blades, then someone said "Why is Eggman falling from the sky?" and they added it in.

(In prototype builds that are available, he fell from the center of the screen and there wasn't a sound effect, but all of them have the blades.)

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
That settles it, Sonic 3 is better confirmed.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, if you ignore the whole timeline you're going to run into issues like this.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is canonically the first part of the saga.

Timeline

Sonic 2
Sonic Forces
Spinball
Unleashed
Advance 3
Adventure
CD
Sonic 4: Episode II
Sonic (8 bit)
Sonic the Fighters
Sonic 1
Sonic 4: Episode I
Sonic Chaos

Everything else is non-canon side stories.

Oct 27, 2017
Look at this. Sonic 2 8-bit. When Robotnik flies in and grabs Sonic, he has a propeller underneath the Eggmobile. Maybe he just moved the propeller between Sonic 2 8-bit and Sonic 2 16-bit?

Labyrinthe

Mar 12, 2018
I understand your concerns, but what about the ending of season 2 of SatAM? How can someone explain the biggest cliffhanger in history of television?

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
I didn't realize until 2018 that Miles's full name was a play on Miles Per Hour. I *always* read his name out loud as "Miles Tails Prower," since that's how it was always presented. As if Tails was his middle name. Which would possibly shorten to "Miles T. Prower," which still gets in the way of the pun.

I've been mad at Sega ever since.