• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I never even notice the size of other people's decks unless mill shenanigans start happening. But yea, this is definitely deja vu.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
holy shit just played a game that made me want to quit magic. Was against a fires player and destroyed every threat they threw out. had the board. then they draw literally 4 fae of wishes in a row and proceed to bring in literally 10 cards in their sideboard 1 by one while bouncing their faes back to their hand to negate the last 8 damage I neede to kill them. Truly nothing I could do, they always had fires, they always had free mana to cast the wish side and bounce them back to their hand. I fended off all fires. 10 fucking sideboard cards. The last one? Ashiok dream renderer when I was down to 10 cards left. What a waste of fucking time, if you can't win with your shit deck, so glad that standard lets you just durdle about with 15 extra cards so you dont actually need to win.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
"I don't like playing against big decks" isn't exactly a strong argument for stricter universal deck-building constraints.
There's a bit more to it than that. The 250 card decks in my opinion go against what Magic is all about. Especially in ranked. I've only been playing for a few months now but as I understand it the basic point of Magic is to take a style of play (life gain for example) or a set of cards that work well together and then build a deck around them that has a particular win condition. These massive decks goes against all of that. They have no real strategy. No real win condition. It's just play and pray. Which makes it a really annoying and unfun deck to play against because they have no real strategy to speak of. There is no planning. They could be land starved and lose in 6 turns or they could pull a billion removal cards and force the game to last 36 turns all while make little to no progress of their own towards a win. And don't get me wrong when I first started playing my decks were like that. I had 100-130 card decks oiled high with just removal card or just my best cards in general because I thought that I could play that way and be okay, but the more I did it the dumber and cheaper I felt so I made an effort to learn how to make a proper deck. Now my largest deck is 66 cards and that was just because I couldn't bring myself to take out some cards to make room for new ones. I plan on bringing it down to 60 as soon as I decide what can go. And to take that time required to make a proper deck, test it, refine it, and then take it into ranked only to come across someone who just threw their collections into a pile is frustrating. And I know I keep saying that word, but it's the best way to describe how I feel.

This haphazard and random way of playing goes against the spirit of a ranked game mode in my opinion. The point of an organized ranked mode in a game is to play said game at a high level seriously. If people wanna faff about in regular play with a pile of cards and no strategy then that's fine, but that lackadaisical attitude is why I avoid casual modes in games in general. I stopped playing in casual mode in Rainbow 6 Siege because people would routinely not play seriously or would rage quit at the first sign of difficulty because they had nothing to lose by doing so. I did the same thing for the same reasons in Apex. And while not as severe I have seen the same in Magic's standard play mode. People just messing around and/or leaving at the first sign they are losing. That's not a fun way to play the game for me. So when I took myself to ranked and saw that most people actually took it seriously and had cohesive well thought out decks I knew that's where I would likely spend all my time and it is. But I still come across these hodgepodge decks that make no real sense and it's just annoying to try to play seriously against someone who clearly doesn't care. It just sucks all the fun out of the experience.

If you disagree that fine, but it's just how I feel.

I don't even remember the last time I ran into a 250 card deck lol.
I come across them all the damn time it feels like. I'd say probably 25% of the deck I play against are 200+ card decks. I had 5 in a row and the last one was literally nothing but land cards and removal cards as far as I could tell. It's what made me mad enough to bring the subject up again.

Last edited:

Deleted member 29293

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I don't the the difference to any other durdly low power level deck. If you want to play against meta decks you probably have to rank up or just take the free win.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I don't the the difference to any other durdly low power level deck. If you want to play against meta decks you probably have to rank up or just take the free win.
I'm in platinum 2. I don't have much more ranking up to do lol

And the difference is even low power level decks have a strategy. It's fun to recognize the strategy that your opponent is using and then try and figure out how your strategy matches up to theirs. What cards you have in your deck that work well against it and what doesn't. That mental aspect of the game is why I enjoy it so much. But massive decks have no strategy at all. It's just random. So there is no planning. It's just waiting and seeing what they play next. And that's just not a fun way to play for me.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
at least in these coronavirus times whoever is playing that 250 card deck is living rent free atm

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I swear to god historic pauper is some sick form of a new shuffler or something. Every game goes to me or the enemy top decking exactly what they need to end the game. All evening. every. game.

Guy draws 4 warbriar blessings in a row to kill each of my creatures, i draw murder, he draws karametras blessing, etc etc. rinse and repeat. No one just draws lands unless it's a cycle land to get said dues ex machina.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Could use a bit of advice. I am working really hard on this Golgari deck I have and its been going great. It got me all the way to Plat 2 and I am pretty sure I would have made Diamond if the season hadn't ended. My problem is that I know that it could be better, but I can't decide if I should go ahead and upgrade it now or should I wait for Ikoria?

Specifically I have a Mythic wildcard and I wanna use it to get another Polukranos because its such a ridiculously powerful card in my deck the way I have it built. But Some of the Ikoria stuff has also looked pretty great. I can't decide. Thoughts?

Feb 16, 2018
Could use a bit of advice. I am working really hard on this Golgari deck I have and its been going great. It got me all the way to Plat 2 and I am pretty sure I would have made Diamond if the season hadn't ended. My problem is that I know that it could be better, but I can't decide if I should go ahead and upgrade it now or should I wait for Ikoria?

Specifically I have a Mythic wildcard and I wanna use it to get another Polukranos because its such a ridiculously powerful card in my deck the way I have it built. But Some of the Ikoria stuff has also looked pretty great. I can't decide. Thoughts?

wait a week before deciding
ikoria should be revealed by then

BashNasty

Oct 30, 2017
User Warned: Antagonizing Another User
Coyote Starrk is consistently my favorite poster in this thread because his posts always help to season my meals.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'll be honest, I haven't played much since Theros came out, mostly because the two new decks I spent my wildcards on fell flat on their face and I've had a stressful enough time in my professional life to make me avoid any 1v1 multiplayer games since. I think I'll start again sometime soon with my old Rakdos Aggro deck that's barely changed, and hope Standard isn't so high-powered that I can't squirm my way back to my old ranking.

Habaneroguy

Nov 4, 2018
Any good alt win con decks floating around? Im looking for some good unexpected lawyer game stuff. Vraska maybe? Or perhaps Thassa's Oracle?

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017
Any good alt win con decks floating around? Im looking for some good unexpected lawyer game stuff. Vraska maybe? Or perhaps Thassa's Oracle?

Good is debatable.

But Monoblue Devotion with Thassa's Oracle / Jace is a Deck. I think there's also a Simic Version. Sadly they are all pretty heavy on Mythics.

The FNM event that just passed was good for testing these out since everything was unlocked.

My machine gun deck didn't work all that well. (Basically take pingers, add a Torbran and see what happens)

V1. Rakdos with good old Footlight Fiend, Mayhem Devil and Judith. Killed too fast for Torbran to make a difference

V2. Mono Red with Glint-Horn Buccaneer, Teneb and Cavalier of Flame. Not enough cards to discard by the time i got there

V3 Izzet with Niv-mizzet. Couldn't reach late-game well.

Habaneroguy

Nov 4, 2018
...My machine gun deck didn't work all that well. (Basically take pingers, add a Torbran and see what happens)...
...V2. Mono Red with Glint-Horn Buccaneer, Teneb and Cavalier of Flame. Not enough cards to discard by the time i got there...
I played around a bit with Glint-Horn Buccaneer and had some success with risk factor and heartwarming reunion. The deck was Mardu colors with Bond of Revival making use of discarded creatures and the like. Had Battalion Foot Solder in to mill and give Heartwarming Reunion and, by extension, Glint-Horn Buccaneer more value. Worked well enough for me, although I haven't updated it since Theros came out.

Edit: Here's something I threw together for an approximation.
www.mtggoldfish.com

Mardu Discard Deck

Mardu Discard deck list with prices for Magic: the Gathering (MTG).

Last edited:

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be honest, I haven't played much since Theros came out, mostly because the two new decks I spent my wildcards on fell flat on their face and I've had a stressful enough time in my professional life to make me avoid any 1v1 multiplayer games since. I think I'll start again sometime soon with my old Rakdos Aggro deck that's barely changed, and hope Standard isn't so high-powered that I can't squirm my way back to my old ranking.
While my life hasn't been as stressful, I definitely haven't enjoyed Theros as much. I made the same mistake of spending a bunch of wild cards early on before the meta shook out. I hadn't intended on it, but I was losing so often in the early days that I felt it was needed to just be competitive again. Unfortunately, I kinda bet wrong and had to fall back to a tweaked RDW (I'm a monster, I know). I can't really afford to dump money into the game right now, either. I'm not going broke, but with the CAD being 70 cents on the dollar, it does add up.

My plan right now is to just suffer through Ikoria's early days and see where it goes.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
While my life hasn't been as stressful, I definitely haven't enjoyed Theros as much. I made the same mistake of spending a bunch of wild cards early on before the meta shook out. I hadn't intended on it, but I was losing so often in the early days that I felt it was needed to just be competitive again. Unfortunately, I kinda bet wrong and had to fall back to a tweaked RDW (I'm a monster, I know). I can't really afford to dump money into the game right now, either. I'm not going broke, but with the CAD being 70 cents on the dollar, it does add up.

My plan right now is to just suffer through Ikoria's early days and see where it goes.

Most new sets shift up the meta enough that I could get a bit of success with some new nonsense for the first few weeks, but with Theros it was immediately clear that what I'd cooked up was actually shite, and not a single one of my favourite new cards ended up being very impactful in the meta. The Ikoria spoilers look fun and I've got some interesting ideas, I just hope Standard ends up being a bit of a Wild West of random junk a bit longer this time.

I don't really want to save all my wild cards to build a meta deck a month or two down the line when Standard settles, since 90% of the fun I get from this game is deckbuilding some garbage and still managing to eke out some wins against other garbage. I've only been playing since Guilds of Ravnica, and while Eldraine, Ravnica Allegiance and (to a lesser extent) War of the Spark had a fair amount of time where anything went as far as deckbuilding is concerned, I was immediately outclassed in Theros, hence me dropping off the set quite quickly.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Most new sets shift up the meta enough that I could get a bit of success with some new nonsense for the first few weeks, but with Theros it was immediately clear that what I'd cooked up was actually shite, and not a single one of my favourite new cards ended up being very impactful in the meta. The Ikoria spoilers look fun and I've got some interesting ideas, I just hope Standard ends up being a bit of a Wild West of random junk a bit longer this time.

I don't really want to save all my wild cards to build a meta deck a month or two down the line when Standard settles, since 90% of the fun I get from this game is deckbuilding some garbage and still managing to eke out some wins against other garbage. I've only been playing since Guilds of Ravnica, and while Eldraine, Ravnica Allegiance and (to a lesser extent) War of the Spark had a fair amount of time where anything went as far as deckbuilding is concerned, I was immediately outclassed in Theros, hence me dropping off the set quite quickly.
This is the main issue anyway. Trying out and buildibg stuff when its new is the most fun thing about the game. If you dont cash in though youll most likely end up with subpar stuff and nothing left to craft something useable down the line.

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I think I just need to balance out the risk and cost. Like, maybe don't blow all of my wildcards. Still, it's just tough when you know you're going to need 4x of a mythic. That starts to eat into the supply quite a bit.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017

asking for deck help without posting the deck makes it 100 times more difficult

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, I think I just need to balance out the risk and cost. Like, maybe don't blow all of my wildcards. Still, it's just tough when you know you're going to need 4x of a mythic. That starts to eat into the supply quite a bit.

This is where I hate the philosophy of the new sets, where they dump all the powerful cards at mythic. Used to be you only needed a couple of mythics (e.g Big Teferi) as a finisher, but now a lot of them are 4-ofs. Like in what world (flavor-wise) does Brazen Borrower qualify for Mythic status?

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
This is the main issue anyway. Trying out and buildibg stuff when its new is the most fun thing about the game. If you dont cash in though youll most likely end up with subpar stuff and nothing left to craft something useable down the line.

I'm particularly susceptible because I'm a sucker for tribal decks (historic goblins remains one of my favourite decks from day one, for better or worse). So during spoiler season I see all these cards that work thematically with each other and have synergy and think "Yeah, this will totally work" but I forget about all the old cards and not realise A. there are better and faster synergies elsewhere that I'm not seeing, and B. none of this is strong or fast enough to beat existing meta decks that aren't going anywhere (unless the sets are rotating).

And while I'm trying not to fall into this trap again, I'm seeing all the Ikoria spoilers and all I can think is "Man, a mono-blue sea monster deck would be so cool". Maybe I should channel that enthusiasm into a new Kiora brawl deck where I only need one of each, and the meta is a bit more forgiving towards tribal nonsense.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm particularly susceptible because I'm a sucker for tribal decks (historic goblins remains one of my favourite decks from day one, for better or worse). So during spoiler season I see all these cards that work thematically with each other and have synergy and think "Yeah, this will totally work" but I forget about all the old cards and not realise A. there are better and faster synergies elsewhere that I'm not seeing, and B. none of this is strong or fast enough to beat existing meta decks that aren't going anywhere (unless the sets are rotating).

And while I'm trying not to fall into this trap again, I'm seeing all the Ikoria spoilers and all I can think is "Man, a mono-blue sea monster deck would be so cool". Maybe I should channel that enthusiasm into a new Kiora brawl deck where I only need one of each, and the meta is a bit more forgiving towards tribal nonsense.
Tell me about it, my first deck was a Kavu tribal lmao. Freaking Kavus. Can't craft tribal decks when Teferi exists lol.
I spent all my stuff on bant enchantment synergy stuff that didn't work out. But hey, at least I won them in paper as a commander deck which shits on most stuff so thats a plus I guess.

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017
Tell me about it, my first deck was a Kavu tribal lmao. Freaking Kavus. Can't craft tribal decks when Teferi exists lol.
I spent all my stuff on bant enchantment synergy stuff that didn't work out. But hey, at least I won them in paper as a commander deck which shits on most stuff so thats a plus I guess.
Flame tongue Kavu was awesome

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Flame tongue Kavu was awesome
The only actually good card I had in that deck lol. And only twice.

11 year old me thought these were all better back then.
51rM8JgT0hL._AC_.jpg
ecd79fbf-626d-4549-917b-435f16b973d9.jpg

87c272ef3c6fc2d3d2e9592cd7855230710f1ed6_2048x.png
51drKUdL0KL._AC_.jpg
Kavu%2BMonarch%2B%255BIN%255D.jpg

This is when I started playing the game. After that in Onslaught I went with Zombies. Man the nostalgia.

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017
My first (and probably best) deck was non-Ravager Affinity, cos that was super cheap and effective. Just about everything was a common / uncommon.

169b74e2-72cf-47df-b128-b632313cd24c.jpg
55318397-de3c-47ea-a088-72a24df5c8fa.jpg
b2991802-e313-40de-b167-0ede5efff101.jpg
357aa2a1-4f72-4890-aa46-d212292ab837.jpg

My favorite deck was a creature less deck with

878b0159-6917-45d3-b9ea-562ac49f0b8f.jpg
9e341d6b-f4b0-4347-8055-f5fab756334c.jpg
a4806218-ff27-4df3-922d-5a085ffa44a6.jpg
0758d20f-6f0f-462e-a7ec-2511c146983d.jpg
5637a3b0-6204-4893-878e-c34babeab2e6.jpg

Isochron Scepter and Cranial Plating would probably be Mythic nowadays. Wizards rarely ever print fun cards like these at uncommon and common.

Oct 25, 2017
So I've done about four of these cube sealeds and I've come to the conclusion that it kinda sucks. It's so hard to actually get synergy in your pool. The games play out more like Momir than Cube.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
Cube Sealed looks like a terrible value proposition but I'm morbidly curious enough to sink 3k gold for a try.
Yeah - Sealed makes certain cards show up too often, but other than that it's alright. Cube really needs to be drafted to be balanced - I see Archon and big Chandra way way too often.
So I've done about four of these cube sealeds and I've come to the conclusion that it kinda sucks. It's so hard to actually get synergy in your pool. The games play out more like Momir than Cube.

hm i was gonna try it but i'm also only at like 75k saved for ikoria what do i do

IllumiNate

Nov 18, 2018
Canada
I enjoyed the cube, but it's not something I'll do more then once with the current payout structure of the event. I'm also someone that loves sealed far more then draft.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I actually went up against a couple of Dream Trawlers in cube. Thankfully they were both played as the last card in hand and I Ate them to Extinction.

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
My first (and probably best) deck was non-Ravager Affinity, cos that was super cheap and effective. Just about everything was a common / uncommon.

169b74e2-72cf-47df-b128-b632313cd24c.jpg
55318397-de3c-47ea-a088-72a24df5c8fa.jpg
b2991802-e313-40de-b167-0ede5efff101.jpg
357aa2a1-4f72-4890-aa46-d212292ab837.jpg

My favorite deck was a creature less deck with

878b0159-6917-45d3-b9ea-562ac49f0b8f.jpg
9e341d6b-f4b0-4347-8055-f5fab756334c.jpg
a4806218-ff27-4df3-922d-5a085ffa44a6.jpg
0758d20f-6f0f-462e-a7ec-2511c146983d.jpg
5637a3b0-6204-4893-878e-c34babeab2e6.jpg

Isochron Scepter and Cranial Plating would probably be Mythic nowadays. Wizards rarely ever print fun cards like these at uncommon and common.
Did you ever draft Modern Masters? Both those archetypes were represented. The arcane decks were sweet.

Also I never noticed skullclamp was uncommon lol

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
Almost 50% of my games today are mono red :<
and the second I change my deck to something that's a good against mono red, I go vs hard control.

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017
Did you ever draft Modern Masters? Both those archetypes were represented. The arcane decks were sweet.

Also I never noticed skullclamp was uncommon lol
Nope. I stopped paper magic for a while cos my LGS closed and I didn't have anyone to play with. Only gotten back into it when Arena released.

If anyone wants to play friendly matches with mostly janky decks, feel free to send me a friend invite. Draggyrider#80185. I mostly play Standard/Brawl but can probably whip out something for Historic/Pauper/Peasant as required. Also I heard friend matches count for dailies now?