• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
If only they didn't reuse the elevator button animation everytine, I'd agree. Those moments always make me disappointed due to the missing chances for something more varied.

Peach also had a weird look with the game's lighting. She actually looked better in Mario & Rabbits. If that game was more consistent with it's animations it could rival this one a bit.

I really wonder what's coming next from Next Level Games... I feel like they're done with Luigi's Mansion and will move on to something else, but what? I love their animation skills, so I hope we don't end up waiting 7 years like with Retro Studios.
A new Mario Strikers game would be amazing.

A Punch-Out!! Wii remaster is also not off the table (and I'm kinda surprised it hasn't happened yet considering how well it'd work with the Joy-Cons).

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
Playing this one right now and I agree it's gorgeous to look at. Really fun and fluid. Off topic, but it makes me wish Nintendo would produce an Old-school-ish adventure game of some kind. I've never played a LM game before and it gives me some Maniac Mansion vibes in a way.

Deleted member 55822

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 10, 2019
Playing this one right now and I agree it's gorgeous to look at. Really fun and fluid. Off topic, but it makes me wish Nintendo would produce an Old-school-ish adventure game of some kind. I've never played a LM game before and it gives me some Maniac Mansion vibes in a way.
Well you say that. Nintendo actually have two of type of games coming up. First one is a remake of Famicom Detective Club games. Originally slated for 2020 release but was delayed. And a new collab with Koei Tecmo. (don't remember the name on top of my head) releasing soon iirc.

Although those two are still a Japan-only release.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
A new Mario Strikers game would be amazing.

A Punch-Out!! Wii remaster is also not off the table (and I'm kinda surprised it hasn't happened yet considering how well it'd work with the Joy-Cons).
That's one of my dream releases, actually. The Wii game felt really short but intense, so I'd love a remaster that added a new championship/mode with at least 4 new challengers + doc louie's training.

They made the Hamtaro games, right? And there was Another Code/Hotel Dusk on the DS/Wii era too. The most recent one I can think of is Detective Pikachu, but Japan was getting a Detective Club remake.

These kind of games were much more common 10 years ago :/

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Woody-KH3.png
That picture is hilarious and awesome, but that's literally based on Pixar lol

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Astrobot and Sackboy come close tbh
And Ratchet and Clank definitely is some Pixar shit

Tbh from a visual perspective I don't get the hype about astrobot. It's obviously low budget and it shows. Controls are cool though. Although tbh with the motion stuff doesn't feel much different than anything nintendo has been doing for ages. Triggers are kind of cool I guess but honestly they aren't much different than an analog trigger with some rumble added. Kind of don't see the hype really with the dual sense tbh. It's a gryo controller with a nice trigger function but it isn't revolutionary or anything.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finished it in October! Couldn't agree more. I was openly laughing out loud at some of Luigi's animations, and couldn't believe how good they looked.

Awesome game.

Aaronmac

Nov 12, 2017
Portal 2 has always been the game that I say is closest to a PIXAR film in terms of creativity, originality, writing quality, and presentation. That still holds true today IMO.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, some of the stuff Toys for Bob is doing with Spyro and Crash feels the closest to playing a 3d animated movie.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
My 6 yr old and 4 yr old absolutely adore this game. Such a fun and cute piece of entertainment.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's way up there. Ratchet and Clank might be gorgeous but it's Dreamworks all the way.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe if it wasn't on such underpowered hardware it would rival some Pixar movies, but no, not on switch, and not with that IQ. The ghosts are also some bland boring ass low poly shit designs too.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
I definitely felt similar playing the game: it's a really good approximation of that feel, while still just being a damn good video game. People hung up over raw graphical fidelity itt are missing the point. What OP is describing is how the game's art style, level design, environment and character detail combine with its animation quality to give the feel of playing through an animated movie in the style of Pixar.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The animation in Kingdom Hearts is so stiff and stilted it doesn't come close to being as animated as a real Pixar movie as much as Luigi's Mansion 3 does.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I don't get the obsession with wanting to compare everything to Pixar but I will say the game has some of the best 3D animation I've ever seen a game. Next Level Games has some real talent working there.
It's a very old, almost pre-internet age thing. Before release, marketing for either original Xbox or PS2, can't remember which, said that the level of graphics on the console was now Pixar-quality and they couldn't imagine it ever getting any better. So even still, ironically or unironically I dunno, people are still making this comparison.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
The OP said Pixar, not just Toy Story. Games can't compete with modern Pixar films. The density, texture sizes, shaders shadows, refractions, etc can't be done in real time
Well then its a moving goalpost thats impossible to hit lol
Prerendered will always look better because its rendered into multiple passes and then composited and edited in post

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I need to finish it. I found the art style immensely charming but the gameplay pretty pedestrian.

Magicgamer

Oct 28, 2017
I can't speak to the graphical fidelity or animation quality but I believe only 2 games have come close to capturing the magic Pixar display in their movies. Gravity Rush but mainly Ni No Kuni. Ratchet obviously looks the best out of all of these but is lacking that little bit extra.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
You probably never played Kingdom Hearts 3...? That is really impressive.
LM3 Its not even close, nor in graphic fidelty, nor in style from Pixar quality.
Also first game that come in mind with KH3 is Ni No Kuni, looks like an Anime

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
It is beautiful and a lot of fun but the controls let it down a bit. Ori and the Will of the Wisps on XSX is the most beautiful game I've ever seen.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
The irony is that there are things going on in Toy Story 1 that makes game devs green with envy. That level of fidelity even in Toy Story 1 isn't possible in real time. That's why KH3 is so impressive for what they did.
There is nothing going on in toy story 1 that makes anyone green with envy. The materials are basic and the lighting is incredibly bad. Hell, the reason why they chose toys as characters was because it was so hard to get elbows and other joints to deform properly. In modern games or even games for the last decade we've had elbows deform 10 time better than Toy Story ever could.

Jun 23, 2019
There is nothing going on in toy story 1 that makes anyone green with envy. The materials are basic and the lighting is incredibly bad. Hell, the reason why they chose toys as characters was because it was so hard to get elbows and other joints to deform properly. In modern games or even games for the last decade we've had elbows deform 10 time better than Toy Story ever could.

So you are saying games can render better than Toy Story 1 in real time? Simple yes or no will suffice.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017

I don't know how to break this to you, but Toy Story 1 still has better and more complex lighting than any modern game does. You can even see it in the shadows in that shot from it above. The complexity of the models has been surpassed, but prerendering allows things to happen that are decades away in realtime work, and that's obvious even in TS1. It's really dumb to continually compare realtime game graphics to Pixar films. Apples and oranges.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
It's a good looking game for sure, and I agree that it has a style more reminiscent of Pixar than anything else I can think of at the moment. Them jaggies tho.

I just wish I actually enjoyed the game and could appreciate these apsects more. I played in co-op with a housemate and we kept remarking at how utterly boring it was. Felt like we were just going through the motions tbh. And we played for about 6 hours over a few play sessions to see if it got better so idk.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
I played it with my wife from start to finish. We were amazed and surprised by pretty much every set piece they did. It can be improved on a lot but the base game is solid. Best game of 2019 for me.