• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vaser

Oct 31, 2017
I love the difficulty of this version of FFIV, but I just can't get over the hideous graphics. They make the game feel so bland and boring. My favorite version of FFIV is the PSP version; nice graphics, added content but lacking when it comes to challenge.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
This is my favorite version of FFIV because it is challenging. They took a one of the most basic-ass Final Fantasies and spiced it up with tougher enemies and bosses. Haste and Slow are actually some of the best spells in this version because of it. Though it could be a bit too challenging at times as I had to eventually use the No Encounters augment for a certain final run at the very last dungeon.

Speaking of Augments, it was an interesting attempt at adding some sort of customization to FFIV, but it was kind of awkward in that it didn't really encourage experimentation. You could only use it once and you better hope that you use it on the right character. I think that there was another rule about the Augments in that you use one on a non-permanent member, you get two extra skills from them instead of one. I could be wrong as it's been a long time since I've played the game. I eventually had to use a guide for this system.

Those extra character-specific dungeons in the GBA version were pretty dope. I remember there being a lot of awesome character moments buried in there, especially one with Kain.

Did the DS version have those as well? The difficulty always kept me away from it.
I don't believe so. But they do have the extra dungeons in the PSP veesion.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Speaking of Augments, it was an interesting attempt at adding some sort of customization to FFIV, but it was kind of awkward in that it didn't really encourage experimentation. You could only use it once and you better hope that you use it on the right character. I think that there was another rule about the Augments in that you use one on a non-permanent member, you get two extra skills from them instead of one. I could be wrong as it's been a long time since I've played the game. I eventually had to use a guide for this system.
Yeah it was stuff like normally after Palom and Porom leave the party you would get Twincast, but you would also get Cry and Bluff if you had given them augments while they were with you and also Dualcast if you had given them three augments collectively.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
To it's credit it's probably the closest an RPG has come to feeling like a roller coaster ride, so all the plot contrivances and super broad strokes writing don't hurt it as much as they would if it stopped to breathe.
That's part of what bugs me about it, actually. To me the plot often feels more like a first draft or skeleton of a more elaborate story that doesn't exist. A lot of plot events feel like they happen solely to change up your party for gameplay reasons rather than because it made sense for the story. It feels really weird even compared to the other SNES FF games.

ieandrew

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I played this on PS1 and it ended with me having only Cecil alive, alternating turns between using an Elixir and attacking the final boss until it was dead. Felt like high drama and was the only time it paid off that I hoarded the best healing items until the end of the game.

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I bought FFIV on DS years and years ago when I was in Spain on a holiday with my family. I remember thinking the cart of the game looked a bit strange and it definitely ended up being a knock-off version of it.

Fast forward to me getting to the end of the game and loving it only for the last boss to constantly lock up the DS :(

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I remember dropping this for the PSP version. It really was a hard remake but people still said it was easy...

I didn't see it.

Jan 11, 2018
The DS remake is a good complement to the 2D version (which you should play on PSP), but certainly not a replacement for it. It's better suited for people who have already beaten pretty much any other version of the game and wants to experience a different take on it.

As for the difficulty, it's one of the few Final Fantasy games that's actually challenging (along with Tactics). Most games in this series are either a cakewalk, or so easy you'll be able to count your game over screens on a single hand at most. But that's okay, because these games have always had so many other things going for them (characters, world, lore, music, atmosphere).

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
wtf the PSP version is legit around 10x faster than this version.

I got this version mostly due to the voice acting and the far better dialogue.

I'll finish this version but I'm definitely going to try the PSP version as well whenever I get the chance.

I really like the game, but there's a lot of things that annoy me about it. In this game the spell casters are insanely important but the spell cast time is ridiculously slow (want to use "Stop" on an enemy? Well, hopefully you survive the 3 oncoming spells because enemies seemingly already have their ATB bar filled when the fight starts, and hopefully they don't Silence you RIGHT before your turn comes up!), enemies always have an unfair advantage, there's numerous helpful augments that you'll completely miss out on if you don't look at a walkthrough (I didn't give 2 augments to the twins, so I missed out on Dualcast. I didn't give 3 augments to the most useless character in the game, so I missed out on Omnicast), and the ATB gauge in general is too slow (yes the speed is at 1), and the animations for spells and attacks are SOOOOOO SLOWWWWWWWWWW

Like, yeah the fact that it's not mind-numbingly easy is nice, but the way they implemented the difficulty is just more annoying than anything else.

I hate to say it but I think I'll end up enjoying the PSP version more. At the very least it won't be so slow and I won't have to be annoyed with the horrible Augment system

Begaria

Oct 27, 2017
I love the DS version. I beat it 3 times through (max saves), beat the ultimate bosses, and even farmed some Adamantite armor to carry through to NG+.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Name me harder RPG's so I make sure that I never play them

Well uh, Breath Of Fire series. Almost any Atlus game. Shadow Hearts. Fire Emblem with permadeath, and most SRPGs in general. And a bunch of RPGs I don't remember the names of, compared to which FF3 DS and FF4 DS really didn't give me much trouble.

Listai

50¢ - "This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
I hated how hard this game was. Same for FF3 DS.

FF3 is an absolute cakewalk.

Until the final dungeon which they game does not prepare you for. I felt like I had over-leveled until I hit that brick wall. I had to grind in that final dungeon for five or six hours to just barely scrape through in the end.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
The game is easier on the Steam version, which is overall fairly balanced without being an utter cakewalk

You know, I was wondering about this. I played the DS version a decade ago and remember finding it tough as nails. The Steam version in comparison felt easier, which was a little disappointing.

Jan 11, 2018
I hate to say it but I think I'll end up enjoying the PSP version more. At the very least it won't be so slow and I won't have to be annoyed with the horrible Augment system

Most fans will agree the PSP version is the better option. But the DS version is fun as an alternative way to experience the game, after you've played the PSP version. The fast forward option is amazing (the PSP version of FFIII also has this option btw).

Oct 27, 2017
I liked the difficulty level of FF4 DS, it seemed pretty reasonable, but the bosses were hard. The presentation was really nice. I don't remember much about the augments. I should replay it sometime, because I remember really liking it.

FF3 DS was an easier time for me. I thought viking job was really cute, so I leveled it up a ton. Eventually, the taunt skill became extremely reliable even in boss fights. A viking in the back with two shields got me through all the late game.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
FF3 is an absolute cakewalk.

Until the final dungeon which they game does not prepare you for. I felt like I had over-leveled until I hit that brick wall. I had to grind in that final dungeon for five or six hours to just barely scrape through in the end.

Yeah, the final dungeon is tough if you're not prepared. But that's really to be expected of final dungeons.

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
Beat the game. I hate to say it, but it was just alright :/

The characters were pretty one-dimensional. Rosa has about as much depth as Luna and in general I felt a slightly misogynistic tone throughout especially during the totally random and unnecessary scene when you get the Lunar Whale lol.

I loved the scale of the game, and I loved the amount of optional content, but it's the type of game where I had a LOT of little annoyances that overall hampered my experience.

I definitely feel like I would enjoy the PSP version more but I'm not sure if I'll end up loving it.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
yeah the characters and story are pretty basic but you know, after all is said and done i still like final fantasy iv

but yeah that final dungeon on the ds is grind city

zeromus says no and eradicates you until you get some levels kiddo

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I beat this on iOS and barely remember it outside the difficulty. Had to cheese it on iOS. Where you could play, get into a fight, close the app, and open it back up and be where you were without fighting. That way you could skip like 90% of random encounters and then just grind somewhere specific.

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
To those who've played the PSP version, is the sound quality better? When I looked up the OST on Youtube I was a little shocked at how much better the audio is there. On the DS the tracks sound like total ass.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
The only mar on the DS version's changes from the original are the augment system (rather, how you get better ones) isn't explained much, if at all. The difficulty is right around the Super Famicom version, maybe more balanced, and I love it.

Basically for me it's FFIV (SFC/PS1) > DS > PSP in terms of which ones I like to play. and it's still my favorite FF since playing the US version on SNES all those years ago.

Vaser

Oct 31, 2017
To those who've played the PSP version, is the sound quality better? When I looked up the OST on Youtube I was a little shocked at how much better the audio is there. On the DS the tracks sound like total ass.

Yes, the sound quality is excellent on PSP. You also have the option to switch to the original SNES soundtrack.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I never beat it on GBA.

Got to a late game area
the Moon
, and I don't know if I was doing something wrong but I immediately got into an incredibly hard boss I couldn't beat and I just never went back to it.

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
The only mar on the DS version's changes from the original are the augment system (rather, how you get better ones) isn't explained much, if at all. The difficulty is right around the Super Famicom version, maybe more balanced, and I love it.

Basically for me it's FFIV (SFC/PS1) > DS > PSP in terms of which ones I like to play. and it's still my favorite FF since playing the US version on SNES all those years ago.

I wouldn't have a problem with the difficulty if it wasn't kind of annoying with saves, and if the animation in battles weren't so slow. Even escaping in battle took ages because if you were surprised by 5 mages, have fun sitting through 5 animations of Firaga first.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
The DS version is good, hard but good, the augments add another level of strategy. PSP version remains the best version though: Fast gameplay, comes with 2 games, you can switch OST, etc. The only problem is that the PSP is suuuper easy.

GBA is trash, it's filled with bugs and the ATB doesn't work as intended.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Haven't played it yet, so I don't want to read much here, but is this game more forgiving with save points than FF3 at least? The Crystal Tower in that game was horrible just because they didn't implement the teleporter at the top on the NES version nor decided the use it either for the remake.