• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So does the movie explain how Luv was able to
1. walk into the forensic section of future LAPD and kill the doctor
2. some time later walk into future LAPD and kill Det. Joshi? That building has the worst security in the world or what

Isn't her company super rich and own everything? Or security is all super tech that they know how to by-pass

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
2. some time later walk into future LAPD and kill Det. Joshi? That building has the worst security in the world or what

Corporations run the world. And, Wallace is like a GOD on Earth. I don't think it's hard to believe that anyone working for Wallace would be allowed to go anywhere they please.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
Luv literally had the paperwork to take the bones, she just killed that Pathologist because he was annoying her.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The original is better but 2049 is still good. Beautifully shot. Story somewhat lacking though.

Jan 30, 2018
I watched the original, for the first time, the day before going to see this at the cinema.

Thought it was awful (the original).

Thought 2049 was brilliant. Best film I'd seen since Arrival which I also loved.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017

That doesn't need an explanation. She is the head of security for Wallace Corporation, which effectively runs Earth. The LAPD employ replicants manufactured by Wallace. It's part of the whole corporate-government future thing that she can just walk in there. She probably has the clearance to go wherever she wants without question, the LAPD are far below Wallace Corp in the pecking order in the BR universe.

verygooster

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I liked the overall story and Deakins' work here, but the characters never really left enough of an impression on me. In fact I think Robin Wright was my favorite performance in the movie overall and this moment.
It's still a recommend though.

rancey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I liked the overall story and Deakins' work here, but the characters never really left enough of an impression on me. In fact I think Robin Wright was my favorite performance in the movie overall and this moment.
It's still a recommend though.

this is what ryan gosling excels at and what people don't get if you just watch him for a few minutes or buy into the memes about him being stone faced. his characters simmer, and then, after a loooong time, explode. he's always building this slow tension into the performance throughout a movie and erupts into shows of emotion like this at the most unexpected moments. just think, you could deliver this line in a lot of different ways, and he could have been more active in the rest of the movie, and then the moment wouldn't stand out as much. but kay is so dialled in normally, calculating things and trying to make sure he isn't perceived as 'off baseline' that in this moment you get the sense that he has finally reached a breaking point in his mind and he just fucking screams. and then dials it right back in.

it's good stuff.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
Saw it again recently(4k hdr) on a 77" OLED + good 7.1 sound system setup at a buddy's custom home theater. It was a pretty damn sexy experience.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Saw it in the theater twice, and I regret not going a few more times. It's that beautiful. The best movie of this century so far. It was that good.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like the first Blade Runner at all (it's all style and no substance other than Rutger Hauer), but everything I've heard about the sequel has me really excited to watch it eventually.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I read somewhere that the HDR on the US release of the 4K Blu-ray is messed up. Is that being addressed?

Oct 28, 2017
Man, I was really digging this movie but I just can't get past the fact that Luv walked into police headquarters unchallenged ya know? Movie instantly goes from a 10 to a 5 thinking back on it.....

Cinemasins has ruined peoples ability to enjoy movies.

rancey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Man, I was really digging this movie but I just can't get past the fact that Luv walked into police headquarters unchallenged ya know? Movie instantly goes from a 10 to a 5 thinking back on it.....

Cinemasins has ruined peoples ability to enjoy movies.

is this why people keep bringing up this non-plot hole

fuck sake

hendersonhank

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think most would agree that it is better than the original. The original Blade Runer was not that good of a movie, but it had other aspects, mainly the visuals and concept, that made it a cult classic.

I don't think most would agree with that at all. I thought 2049 was incredible, but even so, the original was better in pretty much every respect. The only area I feel comfortable putting 2049 above it is cinematography -- Deakins is a god.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I don't like the first Blade Runner at all (it's all style and no substance other than Rutger Hauer), but everything I've heard about the sequel has me really excited to watch it eventually.

Thats exactly how I feel about the first one, and the second one is probably my favourite movie of all time.

The only sad thing about Blade Runner 2049 is the villain. Jared Leto was a last minute call, originally the part was made for, and was to be played by David Bowie. Sadly he passed away.
Imagine Wallace portrayed by Bowie!

Also its easily the best movie of 2017.

Nimurai

Oct 28, 2017
Thats exactly how I feel about the first one, and the second one is probably my favourite movie of all time.

The only sad thing about Blade Runner 2049 is the villain. Jared Leto was a last minute call, originally the part was made for, and was to be played by David Bowie. Sadly he passed away.
Imagine Wallace portrayed by Bowie!

Also its easily the best movie of 2017.
Why did you have to tell me this? I was living a happy ignorant life not knowing this. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Read the first page of the thread which had all the praise for Blade Runner 2049...

Not one mention of the overlong punch fest between Gosling and Ford which felt extremely goofy and out of place in an otherwise sublime movie...

I'm surprised no one brought it up in 50 posts.

Edit: I just got to my post on page 4.
Apparently I'm the first person to mention the stupid OG Captain Kirk looking punch fight between Deckard and K... No one else had a problem with this? Really?

Last edited:

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I thought it was pretty good. Could have been shorter and Leto was embarrassing.

But the film really shines in the themes it tackles and the discussion it generates.

My favorite scene is when
Joi becomes a real person

So incredibly trippy.. Beautifully shot and scored. That will always stick with me when I think about the movie.

But I think some of the overall praise it gets is overblown.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
The library had it when I went there to pick some stuff up yesterday. Thing is they only had it on DVD. I'm debating whether I should watch it, or wait to see it in HD.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Gosling legitimately deserved to win something for his performance here. Just great.

If only the film had less plot threads going on, I might classify it as one of my favorite films of all time. Scott is right, it's too damn long and the villain is just needless.

But the visuals and the main character's journey are just incredible.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Luv literally had the paperwork to take the bones, she just killed that Pathologist because he was annoying her.

No, I'm pretty sure she didn't. She killed him because she didn't have the paperwork. You'd think any papers would have to be signed by Lt. Joshi and she sure as shit wasn't signing those bones away.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Jared Leto was massively underused. Why even hire him if you're only gonna use him in the film for five minutes? Really wanted to see more of him in the film.

Oct 27, 2017
It certainly looks great but I don't think it was all that special. The story was too straightforward, with a twist you could see from a mile away. I felt the same way about it as I did about Sicario, also by Villeneuve. It looks a lot artier and intelligent than it actually is.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
No, I'm pretty sure she didn't. She killed him because she didn't have the paperwork. You'd think any papers would have to be signed by Lt. Joshi and she sure as shit wasn't signing those bones away.

Well what was that paperwork she had in her hand then? She's not going to just carry around random paperwork. If Lt. Joshi had to sign everything that comes and goes in the station then she'd be doing paperwork all day.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Its soooooooo good.

Still hurts me that some dumb teenage bro's during my viewing were sarcastic and were audibly expecting something else.

M4xim1l1ano

Oct 29, 2017
Santiago, Stockholm, Vienna
I liked Niander Wallace and how Leto played him. He had a far more sinister feel than Tyrell but was sadly not shown more of.

And a big shoot out for Sapper Morton. Bautista did a great job, also wished he could have been used more.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Well what was that paperwork she had in her hand then? She's not going to just carry around random paperwork. If Lt. Joshi had to sign everything that comes and goes in the station then she'd be doing paperwork all day.

Yes she is, as part of her cover. And, these weren't just any old papers for any simple piece of evidence. It was the biggest piece of evidence in human history after the creation of Replicants. Do you even think Joshi logged that shit in the system? Thus, Luv can't have the paperwork for evidence that doesn't even officially exist.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
It certainly looks great but I don't think it was all that special. The story was too straightforward, with a twist you could see from a mile away. I felt the same way about it as I did about Sicario, also by Villeneuve. It looks a lot artier and intelligent than it actually is.
Roger Deakins was the best part of both those movies. But yeah felt the same about 2049 and Sicario, decent movies elevated by their cinematography.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
Yes she is, as part of her cover. And, these weren't just any old papers for any simple piece of evidence. It was the biggest piece of evidence in human history after the creation of Replicants. Do you even think Joshi logged that shit in the system? Thus, Luv can't have the paperwork for evidence that doesn't even officially exist.

Ok, good point. But still Luv clearly is used to doing and getting away with what she wants.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

Watch enemy if the other two are to simple for your taste.

NateDog

Jan 8, 2018
Read the first page of the thread which had all the praise for Blade Runner 2049...

Not one mention of the overlong punch fest between Gosling and Ford which felt extremely goofy and out of place in an otherwise sublime movie...

I'm surprised no one brought it up in 50 posts.

Edit: I just got to my post on page 4.
Apparently I'm the first person to mention the stupid OG Captain Kirk looking punch fight between Deckard and K... No one else had a problem with this? Really?
I didn't have any issue with that particular scene, I mean it's not like they really "fought", Deckard encountered most likely the first person he had seen in a long time and where he had been living so he's naturally defensive, not to mention the fact that K then makes it clear that he has been looking for Deckard specifically and that he wants information about something Deckard has spent a large part of his life trying to cover up. He's trying to stop anyone finding out from him where his child is and knows his life is on the line so he tries to fight K off. If anything the issue I personally had was from this point on towards Deckard's final scene with Wallace. Something about the pacing didn't feel right when Deckard entered the fray. I think it was more to do with the length of his scenes with Wallace though. That being said it was still one of Ford's best performances for a long time (I fucking love his first two lines in particular and how he delivers the line "he reads").

On another point regarding Wallace and Leto's performance, the first few times I watched 2049 he irked me and I didn't rate him, but after watching it a good few more times I honestly think he actually did a pretty good job and I think any real issues were with Wallace's writing rather than Leto. Would I have preferred Bowie? I would have bitten your hand off to see that but I don't think there was really any proper indication that he would have actually taken the role even if he was alive and better when the time came.