• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's more about incentivizing PS5 buyers to subscribe to PS+, because then you immediately get a bunch of games for a very low price. If you're new to the Playstation platform, the package is specially valuable.

Btw, do we know if there's a time limit to claim the collection?

Oct 31, 2017
It's not for PS4 owners, it's mainly a draw for NON PS4 owners to jump into the PS5 ecosystem by offering a bunch of the biggest hits the PS4 had to offer. The reasoning is that if you wanted to play those games and you had a PS4, you should have bought them for the PS4.

Now it's just a nice incentive/bonus for new people entering the Playstation ecosystem for the first time (or returning after a hiatus). It gives new people something to play on their shiny new hardware and it also is kind of advertising for the software potential that lies ahead ("here's some of the best from our machine from the last several years, think about what's ahead!").

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I sold all my physical copies of games that were to feature in the PS+ Collection in order to help buy the PS5 (and the PS4 itself), so I see no issues with this.

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
I think the idea is if you've got a PS4 chances are you already own or have claimed those games already on PS+.

c bweezie

Jan 8, 2020
I think it is also about giving digital games to PS5 owners that they may have bought physically on PS4, but got a DE PS5 (or to give people with reservations on going digital another nudge in that direction . Since those users are stuck buying games only for Sony, i think they're ok taking that "loss" upfront. But you're right in a sense; it seems unbalanced given that you're paying the same subcription a PS5 owner is.

Oct 28, 2020
I was planning on getting a month of PS+ so i can claim the pack + Bugsnax on the web store so this is news to me. Would have been cool to have access to those when I eventually get round to buying the console but hey ho.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They're not doing it for fairness, instead it's purely a major incentive to get people to buy a PS5, especially newcomers and people moving over from Xbox, by offering them more incredible games to play on day one if they do.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
lol I hope you are kidding. Getting 20 free games to help build up your library is not not asinine and a good way to incentivize going PS5. What is with these hot takes today?
Pretty much. It's not "feel like they get value" like OP says, it's getting actual tangible value for a Plus membership. There are huge, popular, excellent games included, not junk.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They don't have Game Pass. This helps even that out. Quality backlog is a selling point.

I have a new XSX and a new PS5 and I'll be mostly playing lastgen games on them for the first year. Won't everyone?

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I really don't see the problem here. It's an incentive to those people that paid $400-$500 for a new console on top of their PS+ cost. At least you have the ability to get them if someone signs into a PS5 for you and claims them, they could have tied them to serial number or something to stop that from happening.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
You're paying your annual PS Plus subscription. The people who get PS Plus collection are paying the same plus the price of a new console.

The PS Plus collection is there to incentivize new users to the platform and fill any gaps that may exist between new games, most of the games have already been on PS Plus and any PS4 user for the last 3 or 4 years at best may be gaining 4 or 5 new first party games.

AfterTheFall

Oct 27, 2017
They realise the PS5 games have crazy pricing so they want you to have something to play if you haven't got the extra cash I guess. I thankfully got Spider-Man Ultimate for £62 but even that is pricey in my opinion.

MetalKhaos

Oct 31, 2017
I think the idea is if you've got a PS4 chances are you already own or have claimed those games already on PS+.

I claimed a bunch of the games listed already, and either bought/rented a bunch of the others. I think there's a couple games on there that I don't own already. The way I see it, it's just a nice perk for those who might not have picked up a PS4 and to give new PS5 users plenty of content to play on their new machine.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Yeah, I agree... it having workarounds make this pretty silly (you can simply ask someone trutworthy to redeem them on their PS5 on your account) Sony should just make those available through the webstore.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
Just an additional incentive for those who need a little push to get into the playstation ecosystem.

I can only imagine someone jumping in to playstation and playing all these exclusives for the first time. Most of them are among the best reviewed games of the generation. And many of them will have sequels, so it's a nice jumpstart package.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
If they had bundled 20 codes in the ps5 launch box would you feel the same way OP?
They threw them into the service as a way to thank PS5 owners.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
It's a perk for getting PS+ on the PS5, and gives people new to PlayStation a collection to start off with. I don't see a problem with it.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
Question about the collection:

Can you add them on the PS5, and then download them on the PS4?

I'm keeping my PS4 to move to another room and I essentially want to know if I can safely trade in my hard copies of games like God of War, Uncharted 4, etc or if the PS Collection versions of the games only show up on PS5.

I know you need a PS5 to add them to your library, but I'm curious if you can go to the pages on the PS4 store after you've done that and download them there.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
My question is can you add it on the website like bugsnax and is it limited? If it's limited to Nov or even Dec and you can't add it to the website it's 100% bullshit.

People want PS5 and people want this collection the problem is bots and stock are keeping a lot of people from getting it.

ForthU

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for all the replies. I think my 'Buy why' question should perhaps have been phrased as:

'Why am I paying the same amount for a lesser service?'
which is exactly what I thought. This is major bullshit: if it's a psplus collection, it should be something available to every psplus subber. My money is worth as much as the money of other psplus subbers.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
It exists to make ps4 disc owners feel ok going to digital edition ps5. They're hoping you'll still buy them for PS4 if you're not on 5 yet.

ImPacaTheCat

Mar 3, 2020
Just an additional incentive for those who need a little push to get into the playstation ecosystem.

I can only imagine someone jumping in to playstation and playing all these exclusives for the first time. Most of them are among the best reviewed games of the generation. And many of them will have sequels, so it's a nice jumpstart package.

That's me. I've always been a PC player and we could say I have some sympathy towards Xbox despite not having one. I decided to jump in to console and playstation ecosystem only after seeing this deal. I bet there are a lot of people in the same situation out there.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
Yeah as has been said, its for people who skipped PS4 for one reason or another (like me.) If I get PS5, I'll probably get PS+, and this is incentive to keep that PS+ sub as well as have an opportunity to play those games I missed without buying used lmao

Gedi

Oct 29, 2017
I genuinely think anyone who has read all the reasoned posts in this thread and is still outraged, then either they're suffering from a grand sense of entitlement or console wars trolling.

gozu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
America
Oh, I hadn't heard about this! This is Sony's answer to gamepass, huh? It's tempting me to subscribe to PS+ right away instead of waiting for the first must-play multiplayer exclusive.

Good deal for people who didn't own a PS4. Not mindblowingly good (doesn't have Spiderman, or tlou2 or GoT, or Gran Turismo) but quite compelling.

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine the purpose is to take the sting off the fact that PS5 titles will be infrequent on Plus for a while. Sony's way of saying to PS5 owners "we can't give you AAA titles from this gen, so here are some of our best titles from last gen running better on your new system".

I do think it muddies the waters between their subscription services a bit though. It feels like PS Now Lite, but with some titles not on that service.