• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I hope to get time to test with this driver tonight as I have a 2018 Samsung with VRR.

Based on the current compatibility list, there are some monitors that show as 'Gsync compatible' that still show HDR support.

NVIDIA GeForce G-SYNC Gaming Monitors

Search for GeForce G-SYNC gaming monitors.

Yeah, I think I have misunderstood it, it's just another way to sell nvidia branding in tiers.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
When they announced this in January, HDR was exclusive to GSYNC ultimate (I.e with GSYNC chip only) so people might want to wait and see with this.
It's exclusive to Gsync Ultimate between Gsync and Gsync Ultimate. But this has nothing to do with HDR functionality working along with Adaptive Sync and HDMI VRR (aka "Gsync Compatible") as these are up to display makers to implement - and most tend to marry them just fine.

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting. If true, people with Samsung VRR capable TVs and RTX 20 / GTX 16 series GPUs should try it out because Nvidia said you'll be able to force Gsync on any HDMI VRR TV. I have Samsung TV but not RTX 20 :(

Although I suppose Samsung TVs, just like LG TVs, might need firmware update as well to support Nvidia's implementation.
Currently does not work. Testing with an NU8000 running the latest firmware. Maybe need to wait for the next firmware update?

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think this new driver today enables VRR over HDMI. At least, in my testing I couldn't get it to work, and I see nothing in the driver read me about it either.
Bummer. It does at least sound like they are moving in that direction. Maybe we'll get lucky some day soon and they'll surprise us.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Currently does not work. Testing with an NU8000 running the latest firmware. Maybe need to wait for the next firmware update?
From what I'm seeing in its specs, NU8000 support Freesync-over-HDMI, not HDMI's VRR. Two different technologies.

I don't think this new driver today enables VRR over HDMI. At least, in my testing I couldn't get it to work, and I see nothing in the driver read me about it either.
You're correct, 436.30 doesn't add HDMI VRR support yet. The six new Gsync Compatible displays added in it are:
  • ACER VG252Q
  • ACER XV273 X
  • GIGABYTE AORUS FI27Q
  • GIGABYTE FI27Q-P
  • LG 27GL650
  • LG 27GL63T
All of them support Gsync over DisplayPort only.

Last edited:

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From what I'm seeing in its specs, NU8000 support Freesync-over-HDMI, not HDMI's VRR. Two different technologies.
It kind of is the same thing, though. If display is made with VRR/FreeSync in mind, then a simple firmware update should allow support of both standards.

I mean Xbox calls their implementation HDMI VRR, although on a popup explanation they call it FreeSync 2. But on website they say this "VRR is only available when connected to a TV that supports either HDMI-VRR or AMD FreeSync". It's all a convoluted mess and even hardware manufacturers seem to be confused.

And also, Nvidia mentioned that they'll be testing other TVs from other manufacturers, so Samsung might be next on the list since they've been one of the first to produce VRR TVs.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
It kind of is the same thing, though. If display is made with VRR/FreeSync in mind, then a simple firmware update should allow support of both standards.
This hasn't happened yet with any display which I'm aware of so it's a stretch to just state something like this.
The underlying h/w delievering these features may be similar enough but it doesn't mean that it's 100% guaranteed to be cross-compatible on all models which support one and not the other.

I mean Xbox calls their implementation HDMI VRR, although on a popup explanation they call it FreeSync 2.
This just shows the amount of everyone's confusion surrounding the issue right now.

And also, Nvidia mentioned that they'll be testing other TVs from other manufacturers, so Samsung might be next on the list since they've been one of the first to produce VRR TVs.
I expect it to work in the same way as VESA Adaptive Sync does: they'll certify some TVs to be "Gsync Compatible" but the feature should be available on any display which will report HDMI VRR support to the GPU driver. So the real question is - what TVs do support HDMI VRR right now? They aren't necessarily the same TVs which support AMD's FreeSync-on-HDMI although these are the most likely candidates to get HDMI VRR support via firmware updates down the road.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017

I mean Xbox calls their implementation HDMI VRR, although on a popup explanation they call it FreeSync 2. But on website they say this "VRR is only available when connected to a TV that supports either HDMI-VRR or AMD FreeSync". It's all a convoluted mess and even hardware manufacturers seem to be confused.

There is some overlap, because as you say the Samsung displays offer Freesync, but the Xbox One X gives mixed messages about what it supports and then you've got the C9 which don't support Freesync , but support VRR from the Xbox .
Freesync over HDMI was a VESA protocol before it they specced it into HDMI 2.1, so it may be the exact same thing *Shrug*

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
There is some overlap, because as you say the Samsung displays offer Freesync, but the Xbox One X gives mixed messages about what it supports and then you've got the C9 which don't support Freesync , but support VRR from the Xbox .
Freesync over HDMI was a VESA protocol before it they specced it into HDMI 2.1, so it may be the exact same thing *Shrug*
I'm pretty sure it's the same thing. My Xbox One X's VRR support works on my Samsung TV's Freesync however I never use it because I then lose Atmos when I bypass my receiver.

HugoLiu

Oct 30, 2017
It seems the Gsync firmware for the TV will be rolling out in October
Nvidia's G-Sync technology has finally come to TVs, with a firmware update coming to LG's E9 and C9 OLED 4K TVs in October that brings Nvidia's anti-tearing technology to livingrooms.

https://www.tomsguide.com/hands-on/g-sync-lg-oled-tvs

Also, LG 2019 OLED series has been added to the official Gsync page, and 40-120FPS range also been confirmed.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs/

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

Also, LG 2019 OLED series has been added to the official Gsync page, and 40-120FPS range also been confirmed.

Wow, can't wait for it to hit. And 40-120hz is friggin awesome. I wish Nvidia's cards would support HDMI 2.1 though so I can go right up to 4k at 120hz.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Why only 1080p?

You can already enjoy 120hz at 1440p on the C9 - even Xbox One X outputs at 1440p/120hz. It's incredible playing games games like 2D platformers and Rocket League etc at 120hz on the C9 (via my 2080Ti) because there is so little motion blur compared to 60hz, and the controls feel so much more responsive.

And the C9 will support 120hz at 2160p once it receives the firmware upgrade. Sadly no GPUs support this over HDMI yet AFAIK.

machinaea

Game Producer
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I wonder what's the reason for omitting B9 out of the list, and if it might actually work anyway (at least we'll learn relatively soon). I'd be down for getting one those, but the price difference between the B9 and C9 just feels a bit too much, especially when the alternative could be to just go for a cheaper VA TV and then wait for HDMI 2.1 VRR being more of a common thing.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I wonder what's the reason for omitting B9 out of the list, and if it might actually work anyway (at least we'll learn relatively soon). I'd be down for getting one those, but the price difference between the B9 and C9 just feels a bit too much, especially when the alternative could be to just go for a cheaper VA TV and then wait for HDMI 2.1 VRR being more of a common thing.
The B9 uses the same processor as last year's models. Perhaps there is a feature difference that prevents it from being updated to support it....

or it can be updated and then the next question would be from all the C8 owners who would be demanding their TV also supported it

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
When the new consoles come out next fall, this will be in my living room.

Cannot wait.

machinaea

Game Producer
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
The B9 uses the same processor as last year's models. Perhaps there is a feature difference that prevents it from being updated to support it....

or it can be updated and then the next question would be from all the C8 owners who would be demanding their TV also supported it
Ah, that's interesting, thanks for that tidbit of knowledge!

Yeah, I definitely hope that the technology would be more accessible, and potentially extend to older models if possible, even if it wasn't "officially" supported for whatever reason. But, I'll keep my hopes in check, and maybe getting a B9 wouldn't still be bad idea to validate if OLED is something I am willing to pay for, as some of the stores here offer a free return within 50 days if you are just no happy with the product.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

So 40-60Hz @ 4K. That seems to pair well with the 2080 Ti for demanding games. The range is too small for LFC at 4k without HDMI2.1 bandwidth, though. So we're back to waiting for a GPU with full 2.1 output.

I'm kinda on the fence here. January sales should see the 55C9 under $1k easily, and there's not a PC monitor in the same galaxy as far as quality/performance, but not getting the full 120Hz refresh until NVIDIA/AMD refresh their GPUs hurts.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
I have a 2016 B6, is it crazy to think I might want to upgrade next year before the new consoles so I can have the latest and greatest?

taggen86

Mar 3, 2018
As a c9 and a 2080 ti owner that have never experienced VRR, I am really really looking forward to this in October. C9 is an amazing TV and a huge upgrade for me from the b6 and now it is getting even better. Compared to the B6 you get a much brighter HDR gaming experience with lower input lag and with VRR compatibility. playing gears 5 in 1440p/120 hz in multiplayer feels amazing. You are also future proof for next gen with hdmi 2.1. Would be really depressing if g-sync won't work with HDR though.

Last edited:

taggen86

Mar 3, 2018
Why wouldn't it? These features aren't connected in any way. The only reason why Gsync "doesn't work" with HDR in Gsync monitors is because the old Gsync module used in them doesn't support HDR processing.

I don't know why it wouldn't .especially since Nvidia themselves list the c9 as g sync HDR compatible in their list on https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs/. However people do not seem convinced that it will work in this thread.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
How good a job do these displays do of scaling 1440p?

While you can now use integer scaling for non-blurry scaling of 1080p to 4K on Nvidia cards, I'd still take the higher pixel density of 1440p because it resolves more overall detail despite the slight blur from upscaling. The new sharpen filter in Nvidia's GeForce Experience injector does a pretty good job of making the upscaled image sharper without adding noticeable artifacts. When in movement you are unlikely to notice.

I don't know if the LG C9 allows custom resolutions a bit higher than 1440p to run at 120 Hz.

Also HDR + VRR should work perfectly fine. Nvidia already supports Freesync 2 HDR fine on their GPUs so I don't see why supporting HDMI 2.1 VRR with HDR should be an issue.

Now if only LG would either make a ~40-43" OLED or start making ultrawide OLED TVs....

taggen86

Mar 3, 2018
We are now in the middle of October and have not heard anything about the g sync update since the Toms guide article 23 days ago (https://www.tomsguide.com/hands-on/g-sync-lg-oled-tvs). Hope it has not been delayed to November. Really want this before red dead on pc arrives on November 5th so I can max out the game with my 2080 ti without worrying about frame rate. Really want to replay control as well in 1440p DLSS with ray tracing where you really would need g sync. Checking the nvidia geforce news site several times a day hoping for some news...

Deepo

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
New firmware for the C9 was published on the Korean support site yesterday, 03.60.45:

AJnibQc.png

From the change log run through Google Translate:

Improved delay time of HDMI ARC audio output when TV off / on (03.60.45)

Nothing about gsync that I can find, sadly.

Last edited:

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
For how late this update is coming it better have 4K HFR support as well. It's ridiculous that we're almost 2 months out from CES where we'll get to know about next years models and they still haven't delivered promised features to the current TVs.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
For how late this update is coming it better have 4K HFR support as well. It's ridiculous that we're almost 2 months out from CES where we'll get to know about next years models and they still haven't delivered promised features to the current TVs.

I'm pretty sure the TV already supports it via local file playback? The feature is there, but there's no HDMI 2.1 devices to connect to yet. We need those new GPUs to do it from PC, because they're not increasing the bandwidth on the existing HDMI ports.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I've never seen VRR in action, but I'm curious. What would this do to someone that is unable to notice Bloodbornes framepacing and who is not bothered by 30fps or minor framedips? Is this still gonna be a night and day difference? Also in games with locked framerates?

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
I'm pretty sure the TV already supports it via local file playback? The feature is there, but there's no HDMI 2.1 devices to connect to yet. We need those new GPUs to do it from PC, because they're not increasing the bandwidth on the existing HDMI ports.
The feature isn't there. LGs website states 4K HFR over HDMI is coming later this year. It's been saying that since the TVs came out.
You don't need HDMI 2.1 for 4K at 120hz. With chroma subsampling it's possible over HDMI 2.0. Samsung has TVs out that can do it.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The feature isn't there. LGs website states 4K HFR over HDMI is coming later this year. It's been saying that since the TVs came out.
You don't need HDMI 2.1 for 4K at 120hz. With chroma subsampling it's possible over HDMI 2.0. Samsung has TVs out that can do it.

Oh, gotchya. That's a little disconcerting then as you'd think that the mode would already be there since there's bandwidth to spare.