• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are the average games' loading times as fast as you once thought they'd be?

• Yes. They meet the expectations I had for next-gen loading.

Votes: 675 62.7%
  • No. They may be quick, but not as fast as I thought they would be.

Votes: 218 20.3%
  • Some do, but most don't.

Votes: 105 9.8%
  • Most do, but some don't.

Votes: 78 7.2%

• Total voters
OP
OP
VanWinkle

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't most of that due to unskippable logos and crap? On PC you can delete those at least.
Yeah, but I guess a silly part of me thought they'd figure a way around that. Like how Miles/Sackboy/Astro skip the logos in subsequent boots after the first time you boot it up. Well...they're supposed to anyway; a lot of times they'll show the logos anyway, unfortunately. Or putting the logos into the game page before you boot it, or putting all the logos on one shared screen or something. I guess that might be unrealistic, but that's what I had hoped for.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's nice but so far not quite "loading times will be a thing of the past" you heard some fans say

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
The fast loading makes it really really hard for me to continue playing my Switch games.

Now, every time I play Animal Crossing or Age of Calamity, I find myself groaning with the long loads. It really takes the joy out of it.

Also, 100x this.

I took a break from playing my Switch for a few months as I was playing through Astrobot, Demon's Souls, and Spider-Man: Miles Morales on PS5. Someone gave me Animal Crossing: New Horizons as a holiday gift so I started playing it in January.

Enjoying the game, but the loading times are atrocious. To boot the game you have to sit through about 1.5 minutes of loading, and then once you're in your village playing the game, every single time you enter or exit a building, there's another 3-4 second load screen. Even just trying to get to one of the rooms in your house requires a 3-4 second load screen to open the front door, then another 3-4 second load screen just to go into another room, and then you have to sit through it all again whenever you want to leave.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
Yes, they meet my low expectations
Having an SSD in my PS4 last gen made more of a difference than I realized apparently, feels like I haven't had many problems with loading in years

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I think games like Hitman are still based on last gen architecture, and don't fully take advantage of the SSD in the way I hope IOI's next game will be able to by not having to also build for last gen systems, but it's still sure a lot faster than the load times were on PS4 and XB1. I'm happy, but I'm also excited about the potential of these systems.

DuvalDevil

Nov 18, 2020
Yep, absolutely. Quick resume is a real game changer and hopping in to games within 3 - 5 seconds is just stunning.

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020
Yes. I think those few on the socials who thought that there would be zero loading screens, were settings themselves up for a bit of disappointment. The fact that games now are consistently loading in seconds, on consoles, is wonderful. Quick Resume on the Series consoles is a damn revolution. Load times only improve when more games built around the SSDs arrive.

professor_t

Oct 27, 2017
I guess my answer might be unfair, because the load times are pretty damn good - especially when Quick Resume works - but that basically means I'm more frustrated than ever with the litany of logo screens that you still need to endure. I know it's partly a matter of giving credit where credit is due, but once I've seen them 20-30 times it would be nice to skip it altogether.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
It seems we have to wait a while to get the really good load times. Cross-gen ports (which are still the majority) just load "faster" on the new system, but there's nothing really groundbreaking about the speed, about what you would expect from simply upgrading from HDD to SSD. Then you get things like Spider-Man and Demon's Souls that are stupidly fast... seems that when you code for it specifically, it can work.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Its a fact that less loading is always better. I only have the PS5 and the load times are great.

Not close to the hyperbole I heard about the SSD and the controller, but I am always skeptical of that stuff pre-launch and honestly I thing its all really good.

Now it just needs some games!

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
From the optimized games for next gen I played, yes. It blows my mind. Nioh loading in 2 seconds or 10 seconds from an activity card is as the youngsters say, next gen shit.

MavFan619

Oct 25, 2017
New York
2k used to take forever to get into a game. Now it's pretty damn quick. Demon's Souls is nutty. I think it met my expectations especially for early in the gen.

OP
OP
VanWinkle

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
It seems we have to wait a while to get the really good load times. Cross-gen ports (which are still the majority) just load "faster" on the new system, but there's nothing really groundbreaking about the speed, about what you would expect from simply upgrading from HDD to SSD. Then you get things like Spider-Man and Demon's Souls that are stupidly fast... seems that when you code for it specifically, it can work.
But that's the weird thing. Miles Morales IS a cross-gen game, yet it still has perhaps the fastest loading of any game yet. Plus it's open world and has exceptional visual quality.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly it was so long between when I sold my PS4 Pro and bought the PS5 that I feel like I'm taking these PS5 load times for granted cause I forgot what the PS4 load times were like for the most part.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
How come? Not to say I shouldn't, and I do plan on getting one a year or two from now when the new-gen Gamepass lineup is more impressive and filled-out, but just because the whole BC games loading faster? I don't play enough BC titles to really make it worth it.
Using Quick Resume you would only be loading a game from the OS once and then every time after it's like 2 seconds.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
How come? Not to say I shouldn't, and I do plan on getting one a year or two from now when the new-gen Gamepass lineup is more impressive and filled-out, but just because the whole BC games loading faster? I don't play enough BC titles to really make it worth it.
I think they meant because of Quick Resume.

edit. yep

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Series X = the feeling that I'm always seconds away from gameplay whether I'm quick resuming or cold booting.

I've never experienced this and it definitely has an affect. It's going to be even crazier when the actual games start losing their loading screens and gameplay doesn't have to hide it.

OP
OP
VanWinkle

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't understand why a game can't skip all the logos after the first time you boot up the game. Why do you need to see the logos every time you boot the game up? It would be like having to view an intro cutscene every time you start up a single player game. It's completely unnecessary.

Then you have games like Astro/Sackboy/Miles that theoretically ARE suppose to skip the intro logos after the first boot, but they only seem to do so like 20% of the time, lol.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I just don't understand why a game can't skip all the logos after the first time you boot up the game. Why do you need to see the logos every time you boot the game up? It would be like having to view an intro cutscene every time you start up a single player game. It's completely unnecessary.

Then you have games like Astro/Sackboy/Miles that theoretically ARE suppose to skip the intro logos after the first boot, but they only seem to do so like 20% of the time, lol.

The logos are masked loading screens / perhaps there contractually for licensing purposes.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
But that's the weird thing. Miles Morales IS a cross-gen game, yet it still has perhaps the fastest loading of any game yet. Plus it's open world and has exceptional visual quality.
Yeah, I think that's where coding for it comes into play. Not just having it load faster because the drive is faster, but actually coding the game so the software can keep up with that new speed. There's probably a lot going on behind the scenes in SM:R and SM:MM on PS5 to make it faster like that.

Take something like AC:Valhalla, they just load data the way they always did. Sure, the game loads a lot faster than it did on PS4 (I played both), but there's still that loading screen where you walk Eivor around for ten or twenty seconds.

OP
OP
VanWinkle

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
The logos are masked loading screens / perhaps there contractually for licensing purposes.
I wouldn't be surprised if they used to be used for masking loading screens, but I don't think that's the case now. For instance, at launch, AC Valhalla on PS5 skipped the intro logos but kept them on Series X, and thus PS5 loaded to menu much faster. But I think it was a bug, so they added the logos in a subsequent update and then had about the same loading to menu time as Series X. I think most of these games are already loaded by the time those logos come up now. As for licensing purposes, that's probably the case, but it seems weird that they couldn't just show the logos during the first time you boot up the game and skip them afterwards. They could even stick the logos somewhere on the game's OS page. I hope more publishers can find a way to start doing that.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I wish they were more consistent with this. I haven't been able to find a pattern in Miles Morales... I thought it might have to do with whether you played another game between Spidey sessions, or how much time between sessions, but that's not it. Just... sometimes the logos are there and sometimes they're not.

I agree, though. Now that we know they can be skipped, they just need to do it all the time. Sure, show them to me the first time I play a game, no problem. But after that? Nah, I know who made the game. I don't need to see it every time. Especially because of the problems the system still has with Rest Mode (I know, I know, not everyone has problems), I completely quit the game and shut the system down entirely between game sessions. So I end up starting every game fresh from the menu every time I want to play.

Man, Playstation really needs Quick Resume.. lol.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
For the most part, yes. It's made me more annoyed at unskippable non-loading things though, like the intros to matches in Destruction All-Stars, or dreaded splash screens.

Oct 27, 2017
I thought PS5 loads would be way faster than Series X, but the load times are great in general. Spider-man load times are nuts.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Are you guys getting a "please wait" for about 3-5 seconds on ps5 when waking it out of rest mode? My series x gets me to the dashboard so much faster than my ps5.

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
Mostly yes

Demon's Souls, Astrobot, and Sackboy have been great with their load times. I'm still playing a bunch of PS4 games so the improvement to loading on that end is pretty solid too.

The load times on the Series X have been great too

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

As others have said, Quick Resume on Series S|X eliminates that. 5-10 seconds and you're right back where you left off.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
complete game-changer, especially playing primarily on the series x. everything is quick and snappy.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
Yes and that's both systems. I do enjoy the Series X better because of the quick resume feature. You're from boot to game in 10 seconds. Just amazing. It's almost as fast on the PS5 with Demon's Souls, but that's the only next gen game I have for it.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
I think they are fine on their own, but on the Series X, when quick resume is working it's absolutely amazing. Can't wait to see things get pushed further as we go into this gen.

kitler53

Oct 15, 2020
For actual next-gen games? Yes. Demon's Souls set a really nice bar. Cross-gen and BC games, not really.
i don't have a next gen console, but from the outside looking in this is my thoughts exactly. i thought these new SSD would do more for legacy software than it's done. the improvement is still appreciated but it's not as big of an upgrade as i was expecting. but for true next gen development the numbers look fan-ducking-tastic.

LeMillion

Jun 9, 2020
I'm extremely happy with the load times on my PS5 for both current gen and BC games. I can't say I'm actively timing my games, but OP's 30+ second load complaint doesn't sound like something I've experienced so far.

I have terrible memories of playing AC: Odyssey and it taking about 3 minutes to get into gameplay on my Xbox One X, so maybe that just fucked with my perception of time.

ImaginaShawn

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We haven't really seen anything yet. We are still in the transition phase. Once more devs start to prioritize asset streaming we will see way more near instant loaded games.

Oct 29, 2017
They meet my expectations, especially since games are fundamentally still being created within last-gen design constraints. It's only going to get better.

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yup much better then expected im actually playing games alot more instead of looking at load times. Ni-oh 2 is impressive recently once it became the PS5 version

Kuroknight27

Feb 20, 2018
I'm really impressed with loading into games in NBA2k on next gen. It would take like a min on PS4 now it's like 5 secs.
the logos and stuff still take a bit

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
Madden is such a better experience than it was on previous gens. Load times used to be abysmal.

Nov 16, 2017
For most games, yeah. Gears 5 has such better loading times. Yakuza: Like a Dragon might as well not have loading screens. Now the ones that aren't quick like Watch Dogs: Legion, drive me a little crazy.

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
Very happy on both platforms for both native titles as well as cross gen and forward-compatible titles. Xbox gets an extra tip of the hat for FC titles since they utilize raw bandwidth available to the system.

Bottom line is I can no longer tolerate titles running off of mechanical drives.

Thank you Sony and Microsoft for raising the water level for all and setting a new baseline. Now we just need storage expansion at reasonable prices.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
The Series X has great loading times, coupled with quick resume and using the Series X is similar to using apps on your phone.

The recently used games and apps go back to where they were in seconds with quick resume and reloading an app will take you under a minute to get back to where you were.

OP
OP
VanWinkle

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I want to shout out Control Ultimate Edition. Not because I think it's exceptionally fast or anything, but because they go through the intro logos much faster than the previous gen versions. Fast enough that I think it takes like 7.5 seconds to get from the OS to the Press X menu.