• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

If DOOM Eternal were to be exclusive to the Bethesda Launcher, would you skip out on it?

• Yes.

Votes: 417 33.6%
  • No.

Votes: 604 48.7%
  • If it skips Steam, I'll buy it on XB1/PS4/NSW instead.

Votes: 220 17.7%

• Total voters

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
25th_Anniv_3000x1687_.jpg

With the prevalence of publisher-run storefronts and launchers on PC, Bethesda have entered the game with their own. However, it's only recently they started making certain games exclusive to their launcher starting with Fallout Shelter (before bringing it over to Steam) and Fallout 76. This was promptly followed up with an announcement that RAGE 2 is coming exclusively to the Bethesda Launcher. Reading the thread on that, it seemed many people were quick to dismiss the game but I attribute that mainly due to the fact that there doesn't seem to be much interest for RAGE 2 on Era in the first place. I can't say the same for DOOM Eternal however, it really is shaping up to be something special and many people are understandably excited for it after the excellent DOOM (2016) which launched on Steam.

I'd argue that if DOOM Eternal were to come over the the Bethesda Launcher exclusively, that'd be the first 'real' get for the launcher. My question to you is, if DOOM Eternal were to be a exclusive to the Bethesda Launcher, would you skip out on the game? Why?

Personally? There's not a chance in hell I'm skipping this, although it would definitely be the first game where I'm all "Aw, damn. They're really gonna make me use this just to play the game, huh?". Now that DMC5, TSA, KH3 and Sekiro are out, this (and hopefully Borderlands 3) are the BIG new releases that I'm getting day one for the rest of the year without a moment's notice. Exclusivity to a launcher isn't going to change that.

I'm super excited for this so I'll get it wherever as long as it's on PC but I'm not really a fan of the Bethesda Launcher at all. My entire experience with it for Fallout 76 was really quite shoddy, it lacks basic features and absolutely EATS bandwidth for seemingly no reason. There's also this really dumb issue where if your internet were to suddenly turn off for a second, whatever you're downloading is completely erased and you have to redo the download again which is just bollocks. Not to mention that entire fiasco with the Bethesda Launcher leaking sensitive customer information like names, addresses etc...

What say you, Era? I'm really curious to read your responses.

Last edited:

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
Not a chance in hell, and it probably will be Beth Launcher exclusive if Rage 2 is.

Hero Prinny

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It will def be a bethesda launcher exclusive game and I'll just pass on it. I don't trust them my info after the problems they had with fo76. Launch it on Epic Store,battle net, uplay or something that is more stable than their own shit launcher

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Skipping Doom 2 because of a launcher would require an appropriately hardcore level of stubbornness.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
No, of course not. I am going to play the game regardless of what delivery method and environment are used. :)

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
I have absolutely NO problem with a company limiting their own software to their launcher. I'd still buy it in a heartbeat.

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not skipping it.. I'm sorry..same with RAGE 2. Anything with id Software shooting mechanics is a day-1 buy for me

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yep, if it's Bethesda Launcher exclusive then I'm fine with skipping. Bethesda's launcher is what proved to me that Bethesda really is as fucked, as downright incompetent as their in-house releases would suggest.

I'd have voted for the bottom option but I can't stand DOOM 2016 on consoles specifically because there's no way to hotkey most weapons. I have to use that shitty weapon wheel and it takes too long to appear onscreen. DOOM is legit neutered on a controller.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Doom feels weird to play without m+kb but I'd probably end up getting it on X anyhow. For some reason I just get better IQ on that then my PC connected to the same display.

Though I have nothing against publisher-run storefronts for games they've funded and distributed themselves. Soo maybe double dip? lol

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
When it comes to PC titles. I'll usually go for the console version if the PC version is doing odd stuff. Or I'll wait for said PC version to be cheap (my rule with Uplay and Origin)

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't care for the content that Bethesda put out post-Morrowind, so yes. They would have to convince me to buy into their store with their content.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind an additional launcher, it's a minor annoyance. Buying directly from them is a different matter. Might actually have to break my no physical games streak of a decade.

GLHFGodbless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I got no problem with a company only launching a game on their own launcher, it's their game. But the Bethesda Launcher? Ehhhh.

Also, theyr ein control of sales and stuff right? No getting it on GMG or CDkeys for 33% off week one? Thats a no from me dawg.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
I'd skip it.

I have a vested interest in supporting the best platform that forwards the best, most user friendly, most market supporting policies, services, and features.

That's why.

Although I'd consider getting the Switch version or a cheap PS4 version.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The game is funded by Bethesda and developed by a Bethesda developer. I'm fine with the game being on their own launcher.
Third party exclusivity is the deal breaker for me.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still hesitating on which platform I'll get it on, but if it was PC then it'd be irrelevant of the launcher. I don't care about those minor things.

Oct 25, 2017
I will be skipping Rage 2 because of it but I may have to endure it for Doom.

You can buy keys for Bethesda games outside their stores so it's not like the Epic stuff. Will not pay full price for the game.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
I won't ever buy a game on a launcher that can't reliably download and install videogames.

Even the EpicStore is 100 times more likely to be used by me than this trashware.

Deleted member 43077

User requested account closure
Banned
May 9, 2018
I'd actually prefer it if it was an epic exclusive over there launcher tbh.
That being said I'll probably just rent it for x.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
No.

I mostly game on consoles but even if I bought it on pc, I really wouldn't care unless they did some dumb shit like talking to 8chan...

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I've had very few issues with the Bethesda launcher so far (luckily I did not have Fallout 76 preloaded so I didnt lose my install in that pre-launch gaffe) and I don't otherwise have any issue with Bethesda keeping stuff on their own service. I'd prefer it be available everywhere, and would buy it on Steam if I could, but I'll get it either way.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I hope Epic pays Bethesda for it to be on their store. No way I'm downloading the Bethesda Launcher.

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
Nah, I give up, playing a new DOOM is far more important for me than some dumb launcher wars. Just don't give Bethesda any extra private info, don't save cc info in their system etc. It'll be fine.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
Voted Yes because I've got too many other things to play already and installing yet another launcher to access Doom Eternal just isn't worth it. If Doom was at the top of my must-have list then yes, I'd do the Bethesda launcher, but it's simply another game I'd be interested in playing in a sea of titles that I already don't have time for.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Depends if the Switch version is worth getting.

Otherwise, yeah. I'm skipping it if it's not on Steam.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
Well, it's a game published by Bethesda on their own platform. I'm not a fan of Bethesda.net, but I can totally understand this decision. Only a third party exclusives are a deal breaker to me.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the BGL is even worse than the Windows Store, and that's really something.

Besides it will come with Denuvo for sure and I don't support those games.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
I'm skipping it. I like to look at my Steam library and see all my games on one list with the icons.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
And lemme make this crystal clear
If DOOM E were a Ubisoft game exclusive to uPlay I would buy it
If DOOM E were an EA game exclusive to Origin I would buy it
Bethesda Launcher is a turgid piece of shit and has a history of baffling flaws the likes of which you could ONLY expect from the folk who put out Fallout 76 and Skyrim ports filled with decade-old bugs once fixed by fucking basement teenagers

Fuck that launcher
I'll freely support Bethesda's own endeavors when they deserve it but they fucking don't lmao
Still feeling burnt by 76 and everything else
I'd gladly support the developers of DOOM under the right circumstances but Bethesda is one of my least favorite publishers of all time for their history of unrelenting fuckery.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Wow. I'm really surprised this many people are willing to skip it if it doesn't hit Steam.

That sucks, aye? :/