• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Please tweet COVID horror story examples to her. Maybe if it was emphasized to her just how horrific a virus it can be she would think twice before continuing down this road.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
he does blue lives matter, his church is homophobic...he's not that far from her.

He also put out pro-BLM posts on Instagram.

The Pratt hate, for the most part, comes from his religion and some questionable follows on Twitter.

That is very different than tweeting out hateful and harmful stuff yourself, which is what Wright has done.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
This is a question that's like... four years too late, if not much more lmao

Anyways no, not really.
Nope. Not outside of threats and immediate danger (the proverbial shouting FIRE! in a crowded threater)

Looking online, it does seem that US does have misinformation law

We do have freedom of speech in our constitution in Taiwan too, and government is mainly focus on slander and libel, cross-Strait relations, and national security.
As I understand it, freedom of speech is not freedom from consequence.

And under special power granted ealier due to China's troll farm in spreading misinformation on COVID-19
Spreading misinformation regarding the epidemic is punishable by imprisonment for up to three years, a fine of up to NT$3 million (about US$100,000), or both. (Art. 14.)
www.loc.gov

About the Law Library | Law Library of Congress | Research Centers | Library of Congress

The mission of the Law Library of Congress is to provide authoritative legal research, reference and instruction services, and access to an unrivaled collection of U.S., foreign, comparative, and international law. To accomplish this mission, the Law Library has assembled a staff of...
focustaiwan.tw

Individuals caught spreading virus-related misinformation - Focus Taiwan

Several individuals across Taiwan have been tracked down for disseminating false information related to the new coronavirus disease COVID-19, law enforcement authorities said Friday.
One-fourth of coronavirus misinformation in Taiwan comes from Chinese trolls
www.taiwannews.com.tw

One-fourth of coronavirus misinformation in Taiwan comes from Chinese trolls: CIB | Taiwan News | 2020-03-25 12:16:00

China waging fake news campaign to incite unrest in Taiwan amid COVID-19 pandemic | 2020-03-25 12:16:00

The Bureau stated that Chinese netizens have been smearing Taiwan's official notices on disease control as fake news. The pattern involves posting screenshots of Taiwanese government announcements that have been edited to include some simplified Chinese characters and then dismissing the information as unreliable. Some accounts pretended to have insider stories about dead bodies buried inside the Taipei Dome.

The smear campaigns have had little impact, a CIB investigator said, as Taiwanese netizens were quick to point out the discrepancies.

A non-profit organization, Taiwan FactCheck Center, has been working with social media platforms to verify information as well as to educate the public on spotting and reporting fake news.
international.thenewslens.com

Taiwan Pushes Back Against Coronavirus Disinformation - The News Lens International Edition

Disgruntled Chinese netizens are suspected to spread disinformation on the novel coronavirus outbreak status in Taiwan.

And the EU are preparing something similiar(MIght make topic on it after lunch)
EU Seeks to Punish Online Lies in Disinformation Crackdown

www.bloomberg.com

The European Union is weighing up how to sanction the perpetrators of online disinformation amid suspicions of Chinese and Russian involvement in lies spewed out on internet platforms about Covid-19.As part of its Democracy Action Plan published Thursday, the European Commission said it would...

Are those type of law doable in the US?

Dio

Oct 25, 2017

The Pratt hate, for the most part, comes from his religion and some questionable follows on Twitter.

That is very different than tweeting out hateful and harmful stuff yourself, which is what Wright has done.
''questionable follows'' is somewhat of a reductive way to characterize it. also, it isn't about the religion itself, but his church, lol.

Nov 18, 2020
This video is hilarious

"We'll believe in science when it's convenient to global warming, but not in science when it's convenient to gender"

"I don't believe in evolution. I just don't believe I came from a monkey, I think it takes more faith to believe I came from a monkey than I came from God."

"The vaccine will fundamentally change people's DNA"

"The metals used in the vaccine will create antennas in the body which will be detected by 5G technology."

"These vaccines contain nanoparticles that will act as biometric detectors which are patented by Bill and Melinda Gates. These biometric detectors are traded for cryptocurrencies to push a non-cash flow."

🤣 🤣 🤣

Last edited:

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
questionable follows is somewhat of a reductive way to characterize it.

It's not. That's how Disney and any corporation would look at it. No one is getting fired for following someone on Twitter.

also, it isn't about the religion itself, but his church, lol.

Which is not the same thing as actually tweeting out anti-vax videos with transphobic moments. It's silly to say, "Well, Pratt didn't get fired so she won't." That shows a misunderstanding of how the world actually works.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Oh... well there goes the Shuri takes the mantle plot. Fuck her, bring back Michael B. Jordan please, or Lupita, either one would be much better than this clown. Fucking hell I liked Shuri, but not like this, fuck this bullshit.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
This is what happens when evangelicals send their damn missionaries all over the globe and infect others.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
he spouts blue lives matter, his church is homophobic...he's not that far from her.

I don't think he's ever mentioned blue lives matter. He supports police foundations mainly due to his brother being a police officer, but I've never seen that phrase attributed to him. There are other valid concerns (like his relationship with the church.). But he's never made disgusting statements like the way Wright is doing.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Could just have our M'Baku take over and not worry about the implications of pulling a character from another universe to replace T'Challa.
Yeah, I don't get why they'd need any multiverse stuff when there's a clear path of succession for M'Baku shown in the first film. If that's who you want to be the black panther, it's easy as shit.

Zaheer

Oct 27, 2017

Who gives a shit if he's promoting Blues Lives Matter bullshit? And questionable follows? Turning Point USA, PragerU, Ben Shapiro, and Tucker Carlson?

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
C7S0ouqVAAANACj.jpg

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
She's on that big religious energy thanks to her upbringing. As a first generation American I'm glad I shook off my parents reductive religious views otherwise I'd be a science denying homophobe/transphobe.

Her posts are not surprising at all.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looking online, it does seem that US does have misinformation law

We do have freedom of speech in our constitution in Taiwan too, and government is mainly focus on slander and libel, cross-Strait relations, and national security.
As I understand it, freedom of speech is not freedom from consequence.

And under special power granted ealier due to China's troll farm in spreading misinformation on COVID-19

www.loc.gov

About the Law Library | Law Library of Congress | Research Centers | Library of Congress

The mission of the Law Library of Congress is to provide authoritative legal research, reference and instruction services, and access to an unrivaled collection of U.S., foreign, comparative, and international law. To accomplish this mission, the Law Library has assembled a staff of...
focustaiwan.tw

Individuals caught spreading virus-related misinformation - Focus Taiwan

Several individuals across Taiwan have been tracked down for disseminating false information related to the new coronavirus disease COVID-19, law enforcement authorities said Friday.

www.taiwannews.com.tw

One-fourth of coronavirus misinformation in Taiwan comes from Chinese trolls: CIB | Taiwan News | 2020-03-25 12:16:00

China waging fake news campaign to incite unrest in Taiwan amid COVID-19 pandemic | 2020-03-25 12:16:00

international.thenewslens.com

Taiwan Pushes Back Against Coronavirus Disinformation - The News Lens International Edition

Disgruntled Chinese netizens are suspected to spread disinformation on the novel coronavirus outbreak status in Taiwan.

And the EU are preparing something similiar(MIght make topic on it after lunch)

www.bloomberg.com

The European Union is weighing up how to sanction the perpetrators of online disinformation amid suspicions of Chinese and Russian involvement in lies spewed out on internet platforms about Covid-19.As part of its Democracy Action Plan published Thursday, the European Commission said it would...

Are those type of law doable in the US?

I decided to look into it more, but it basically seems like social media continues to be a large grey area and anything we prosecute there would likely end up in the Supreme Court. In short (lawyers, correct me), I just don't think there's precedent for any kind of punishment.

And how the SC would judge it seems different depending on whether they believe she intended to cause harm or not, among other things.

Mar 18, 2020
Wright's in a supporting role, she'd be an easy target if Disney had backbone.

and since he's catching strays Pratt should get tossed too. He's the worst part of the movies he's in on top of rubbing shoulders with phobic people

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
She already trending on Twitter. Let's see if that stays and if so, then Feige gon be making some calls forsure.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
It's not. That's how Disney and any corporation would look at it. No one is getting fired for following someone on Twitter.

Which is not the same thing as actually tweeting out anti-vax videos with transphobic moments. It's silly to say, "Well, Pratt didn't get fired so she won't." That shows a misunderstanding of how the world actually works.
you're moving the goalposts. All people are saying here is: if they don't remove someone as hateful as pratt, nothing will happen. i disputed saying she's worse than him. both are bad, and her being vocal about it, compared to pratt, is what could possibly be he differentiator.
I don't think he's ever mentioned blue lives matter. He supports police foundations mainly due to his brother being a police officer, but I've never seen that phrase attributed to him. There are other valid concerns (like his relationship with the church.). But he's never made questionable statements like the way Wright is doing.
i mean, he all but did use the hashtag,

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
Well this is disappointing. But Winston Duke and Lupita spouting homophobic/transphobic shit would break me.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
The thing about these Satanist conspiracy theories is that if you were trying to peddle Satanism under the radar to people via vaccines and science...why would you straight up put Lucifer into the name like that? It's like being in on Qanon because the FBI director's name is Christopher Deepstate.

May 26, 2018
The thing about these Satanist conspiracy theories is that if you were trying to peddle Satanism under the radar to people via vaccines and science...why would you straight up put Lucifer into the name like that? It's like being in on Qanon because the FBI director's name is Christopher Deepstate.

Because it's so bold...no one would ever believe it!!!

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
She's on that big religious energy thanks to her upbringing. As a first generation American I'm glad I shook off my parents reductive religious views otherwise I'd be a science denying homophobe/transphobe.

Her posts are not surprising at all.

It wasn't really her upbringing, she went hard into the Jesus stuff in her early 20s following depression. But still, in light of that, not particularly surprising.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Geezus. Disappointing.

Well, been saying for a while now they should recast T'Challa with Abubakar Salim.

xouhXPh.jpg

And if you're really on the no recast train, Nakia (Lupita) always made a lot more sense to me to take up the mantle as opposed to Shuri (Letitia).

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
I decided to look into it more, but it basically seems like social media continues to be a large grey area and anything we prosecute there would likely end up in the Supreme Court. In short (lawyers, correct me), I just don't think there's precedent for any kind of punishment.

And how the SC would judge it seems different depending on whether they believe she intended to cause harm or not, among other things.

But it's not just government job and court punishment.

Taiwan takes a whole-of-society approach to fighting disinformation. Its civic technology community works with social media companies, like the island's popular messaging service Line, to identify, debunk, and downrank viral conspiracy theories on social media platforms.

When someone comes across a news story that sounds fishy, they can send it to the popular chatbot Cofacts, where teams of volunteers then rapidly research the claim to determine its validity.

The independent Taiwan FactCheck Center maintains an online repository of disproven conspiracy theories.
Taiwan also shows that the best defense comes from a solid offense. Rather than simply play whack-a-mole by disproving every new fake fact, the government creates new conversations by organizing public debates about issues via the citizen-run vTaiwan platform.

Instead of promoting hysteria to sell more ads, vTaiwan's algorithms highlight where there is consensus in a debate and minimize the voices at the most extreme ends.

Media literacy trucks go to rural areas to educate people how to spot fake news. And with China keen to cause divides in Taiwan, local groups that knowingly receive foreign money to spread disinformation about elections can face fines, and their leaders can go to jail.

Building on a global trend of hiring technologists to drive government innovation, Tsai appointed a software engineer, Audrey Tang, to increase citizenengagement in government decision-making in 2016.

While Tang has led initiatives to roll out new technologies that increase transparency and combat disinformation, she has also helped Taiwan distinguish itself by marrying those investments with community-level engagement efforts, such as enlisting thousands of pharmacists to help dispel rumors about COVID-19.
foreignpolicy.com

Taiwan Is Beating Political Disinformation. The West Can Too.

With money and effort, a shared sense of truth can be reclaimed.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Say that T'Challa and Nakia were married between films (secret ceremony if you can justify it well enough or need it to be like that) and have it so that gives her a claim to the title.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This isn't bad. Honestly, it's a pretty normal view of how people see cops.

It's not equivalent to saying Blue Lives Matter. As an example, you wouldn't be as concerned about someone saying "we love our troops" or whatever despite what we do in other countries.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't bad. Honestly, it's a pretty normal view of how people see cops.

It's not equivalent to saying Blue Lives Matter. As an example, you wouldn't be as concerned about someone saying "we love our troops" or whatever despite what we do in other countries.
given the period he said that, alongside his follows, i'm not inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
you're moving the goalposts. All people are saying here is: if they don't remove someone as hateful as pratt, nothing will happen. i disputed saying she's worse than him. both are bad, and her being vocal about it, compared to pratt, is what could possibly be he differentiator.

He supports police officers 🤷‍♂️
Mainly due to his brother being a police officer. People keep on attributing BLM to him except for the fact he's never once used those words.