• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Did you like Ghost of Tsushima?

• Loved it! Sequel please

Votes: 480 48.8%
  • Liked it. It was fun but nothing too special.

Votes: 210 21.3%
  • It was alright. Not too interesting.

Votes: 181 18.4%
  • I didn’t like it. It wasn’t fun.

Votes: 66 6.7%
  • I hated it.

Votes: 15 1.5%
  • Please bring back inFamous instead

Votes: 32 3.3%

• Total voters

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is? GoT is literally one of the only platinums I have because of how easy it was. Tedious yes, but not difficult at all. You can turn your brain off, whip out a youtube video like this,

It was tedious, not hard at all. I don't like watching stuff on the side when playing games, that just means the content i'm playing through is filler garbage.

So yes I was completely immersed in how droll clearing out the remaining camps and sidequests for 6 hours was.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
That really sucks to hear.

I hated how restrictive Horizon was in it's open world. The sequel not being much improved in this department is a shame.

Oh well.
It's moreso that the added freedom in Horizon doesn't also extend to its quest or level design so it feels just as restrictive as before.
I don't like watching stuff on the side when playing games, that just means the content i'm playing through is filler garbage.
I mean....did you still find the collectibles to be compelling after getting 100 out of 433 of them?

Annie85x

Mar 12, 2020
One of my favourite games of the last generation. Just beautiful and a joy to play.

The sequel is one of my most wanted/yearned for releases.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
I think open world devs really need to stop and think of repeating something twenty times is necessarily better than using that one idea once or twice and maybe fleshing it out a little more. Because when I got to maybe the fifth hiku spot I just laughed and walked away from what I initially thought was a cool little side activity.
And that's pretty much my lasting impression of GoT. I don't remember the story because my playthrough was broken up over a few months because I kept getting burnout from the repetitious side content. And I know I'd have enjoyed the experience a thousand times more as a wide linear game that had 50-75% less side content.

Keep the mythic quests, a few of the character driven side quests, and the shrines, and maybe repeat each of the bamboo, hiku, Fox tree, type content ONE TIME per island section, and I'd have been happy.

I don't want a sequel though. Give me a new IP instead.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
I'll add that the comparisons to Breath of the Wild are grossly overstated. Outside of temples and the like, not much in the world is eye-catching in a way that actually promotes exploration. It's the opposite really; the game tries to hold your hand and point you in the right direction constantly. I eventually grew to loathe the birds for essentially spoiling when something collectable was nearby, and even started trying to avoid the foxes altogether so I could find the shrines myself. Neither was a perfect solution, but it was slightly more rewarding than just following them to the collectable.

They were exactly like the dog in fable 2. Touted as an amazing, revolutionary new feature, but all it does is remove the players ability to actually discover anything for themselves. Which, for me, is the main draw of an open world game.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean....did you still find the collectibles to be compelling after getting 100 out of 433 of them?
I got however many were necessary for the plat and instantly forgot they existed.

I think you're missing what I'm saying here. Grinding out the platinum was boring as shit and it burned me out so hard I still haven't played much of the DLC.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I think open world devs really need to stop and think of repeating something twenty times is necessarily better than using that one idea once or twice and maybe fleshing it out a little more. Because when I got to maybe the fifth hiku spot I just laughed and walked away from what I initially thought was a cool little side activity.
And that's pretty much my lasting impression of GoT. I don't remember the story because my playthrough was broken up over a few months because I kept getting burnout from the repetitious side content. And I know I'd have enjoyed the experience a thousand times more as a wide linear game that had 50-75% less side content.

Keep the mythic quests, a few of the character driven side quests, and the shrines, and maybe repeat each of the bamboo, hiku, Fox tree, type content ONE TIME per island section, and I'd have been happy.

Oh we're not just getting a sequel, they also greenlit a movie. This is basically Sony's AC. And honestly I wonder if the sequel will receive similar reception to Horizon Forbidden West, wherein, if it's as iterative as that game is people will stop talking about it quite quickly.

I got however many were necessary for the plat and instantly forgot they existed.

I think you're missing what I'm saying here. Grinding out the platinum was boring as shit and it burned me out so hard I still haven't played much of the DLC.
Oh my bad I thought you were saying it was actually difficult.

Oct 25, 2017
one of the most boring games ive played in recent memory honestly

phenomenal presentation and pretty great visuals and aesthetics only to be an assassins creed game sigh

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I get you.

It is one of the reasons I find RDR 2 restrictive even though it is technically very dynamic. Open world is one of the best but the missions are like a director telling you what to and not do.
Horizon thankfully doesn't go that far. Not even close. It feels moreso like it has the quest design of the witcher 3 in a game that has far cry gameplay.

Oct 27, 2017

Horizon thankfully doesn't go that far. Not even close.
[/QUOTE]

Oh good. I still need to play 2 sometime. Just got distracted with Elden Ring, Demon's Remake and Chaos so I never had time for it

Yam's

Oct 27, 2017
I loved it and enjoyed fully exploring its world thanks to the beautiful aesthetic. Some sceneries are really crazy good looking.

The combats felt great too. They nailed the different stances and I never got bored fighting.

However I found the hero a bit boring. He lacks a bit more emotions and other type of faces animations I think. Hopefully their next game will have a main protagonist a bit more fun. I don't need a joke every two steps, but just add some fun times to make him more likable. Something akin to Arthur's treatment in RDR2.

Collectibles and side quests were weak too. A world as big as Tsushima needs either more variety or less similar tasks. Just enjoying the different vistas and relaxing between main/mystic quests would have been fine. Too many haikus, too many foxes.

Mystic quests should be the template of every sidequest. Quality beats quantity, specially in games as long as open worlds, otherwise you get bored by the time you reach the ending.

But it's a great game and I'll definitely buy a sequel.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017

Sequel is going to happen due to the sales of the first game plus new movie in the works. I would say it was great first attempt at this type of game for sp but I do hope they make a bigger improvement over the formula than Guerilla's second attempt. I got extremely burnt out of Horizon 2 bc it felt more of the same and hope SP can avoid that with their sequel.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
Sequel is going to happen due to the sales of the first game plus new movie in the works. I would say it was great first attempt at this type of game for sp but I do hope they make a bigger improvement over the formula than Guerilla's second attempt. I got extremely burnt out of Horizon 2 bc it felt more of the same and hope SP can avoid that with their sequel.

I really think this strategy will end up being a mistake on Sony's part. You had two studios create two new IP's that we're both really successful, proving you don't have to keep making sequels for existing IP's. But if they start making sequel after sequel to all these 60 hour open world games they're going to end up in a situation where you have to play hundreds of hours worth of games to catch up before the next release.

I still have picked up Forbidden West because I'd have to replay the first game again to remember everything about it, and I couldn't be bothered. By the time a GoT sequel arrives I'll probably feel the same way.

They should do what AssCreed did and just make loosely connected historical games that retell the story of "one vs many" battles. That way each game could stand on its own.

Markratos

Hermen Hulst's Secret Account
Feb 15, 2020
I absolutely loved the combat , but found the open world empty and very repetitive in its structure.

For the sequel they should add a lot more activities to do on the map like fishing, board games and random situations (similar to RDR2).
I also expect more massive battles between armies, natural disasters, dynamic fire and above all an improvement of the stealth system.

Last edited:

TheBiInBilingual

THE STORE ENSURED ME THERE WOULDN'T BE FILM
Feb 22, 2018
It was a fantastic game but man it was such a downer of a game too.

I get it, it's set in a time of a brutal war. But every. single. mission. was either serious or sad. Whether it was a main story quest or a side quest. As far as I can remember there isn't a single one that's at least a bit uplifting (haven't played Iki because to hell with Sony I'm not going to shell out another 70 just for an expansion).

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
It's not a flawless game, but it's probably Sony's best first party open world offering. Sucker Punch fucking nailed the feel and flow of combat, particularly the free flowing emergent use of tools, stances, and play states. It actually feels like an evolution of Rocksteady's Arkham formula, in how the player has access to a wide assortment of gadgets and combat abilities, while also being able to freely move between aggression and stealth. The flow and feel is buttery, responsive, and extremely satisfying.

I'm playing through Horizon 2 now and it's striking how rubbish this is by comparison.

GestaltGaz

Oct 28, 2017
Loved it and it had some of my favourite gaming moments ever. The title card intro, the haiku's, the end of act II holy shit.

Oct 25, 2017
i was utterly enthralled with the main game, but thought the DLC was completely pulseless. (it was more than this, but as an example: i couldn't stand the hallucinogenic drug plot device. i never want to play another video game with this stupid fucking "my enemy taunts me through their drug" thing again.)

anyway i'm still excited to see where they go next, but the dlc did soften my expectations a bit.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I found the story to be quite boring and the combat was far too repetitive. The game was pretty, but the animations weren't great.

I wouldn't say no to a sequel, though, if they can improve on things.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The combat is awesome. Much better than Horizon. Both are repetitive if you think about it but I prefer GoT just because of the combat. This is also the reason I managed to get the platinum for GoT but still has not finished HFW main story.

Oct 28, 2017
It was modern game design 101 and yet another example of a game caring more about CONTENT CONTENT CONTENT than anything else. Lets copy and paste the same shit a thousand times all over the map. How thrilling. It's just so repetitive. Starts out strong but you quickly get worn out doing the same stuff over and over again.

Yorker14

Apr 27, 2022
Sydney, Australia
I think it was an enjoyable game with great design and an ok-enough story that let ultimately itself down by dated gameplay elements and a lack of ambition.

The pros:
- The visual design, obviously, is brilliant. Not necessarily the graphical quality (which to be honest is good, but not as impressive as some people make out) but the way the visuals entice player exploration and really make Tsushima feel like an exciting, beautiful place.
- The audio design of hearing the trees and the wind and the birds around you was very lovely.
- The swordplay is pretty fun. I enjoyed gaining new stances and moves and learning to perfect swapping between them for certain enemy types. It felt quite responsive and I personally never had any issues with the camera angle like others seemed to.
- Jin was a likeable protagonist, but moreso than that the side-characters were quite charismatic and endearing. They each had their own quirks and dramatic moments for you as an audience to latch onto and I mostly looked forward to seeing the resolutions for each one's arc.
- The design choice to replace the typical mini-map and "follow the yellow line" style of open world exploration with using the wind and/or animals you could follow was a pleasant change. It definitely kept me more immersed in the world than many other games of its type.
- I enjoyed some of the quieter moments that game gives you such as the haiku segments or the hot springs. These were welcome changes of pace that let me enjoy some of the games better aspects without being distracted by some of its less interesting aspects.

The cons:
- The Assassin's Creed-esque design of the open world is pretty stale by this point and was probably the most disappointing realisation I had once I began playing the game. There is just a lot of copy-pasted activities scattered across a map with question marks over them and it really does make the game drag in the second half, which is a shame considering how the emotional stakes try to escalate those events.
- While exploring the open world was fun and quite beautiful, it's a shame that 90% of the random encounters felt like variations on "bandit group that needs killing". So much more could have been done with what you encounter in the open world, but instead every 30 seconds you'd come across a group of enemies to kill, only to ride another 30 seconds and find another one. It was both repetitive and uninteresting.
- While the swordplay is fun, it wasn't super challenging and ultimately became quite repetitive after a while. I played the game on Hard and after about the halfway point of the game it became a joke to clear out most enemies. Really only those optional ronin-bosses gave me a true challenge and it seemed like wasted potential for what was ultimately a well designed and responsive combat system.
- While I loved the design choice to have you follow foxes and birds to secret areas, holy shit did this become annoying after a certain point. It got to the point where I actually dreaded running into one because I know I'm a completionist and it just became a constant interruption to whatever I was doing. Really killed the pacing for me at many stages.
- The "gamification" of Ghost of Tsushima really undercut several key emotional moments in the story. A cutscene would play where a character was telling me something really personal and intense and then straight afterwards there'd be some big LEGEND INCREASED type message with an audio ping. For a game so intent on keeping you immersed in many ways it really loved to kick you out of that immersion in others.

Ultimately, I do feel as though the game has been overrated by many people, and I do believe that was in part due to the mixed reception some people had toward TLOU2. It seemed from some corners people wanted to elevate the very safe and by-the-numbers GOT to prove that the riskier and more divisive TLOU2 wasn't good (not saying this applies to everyone, but I definitely say that sentiment in many places). Both are good games, but I don't think GOT is even close to TLOU2 on any level, not even combat.

Comparing GOT to other recent Sony first-party open world games such as HZD and Spider-Man, I think it might be the weakest (I haven't played Days Gone). It does some things better and might be the most polished of the three, but it lacks a certain something to make it stand out. HZD's giant robot dinosaurs naturally meant that combat took on a pace and energy not found in other open world games, plus it's post-post-apocalyptic sci-fi story (while nothing special) did draw me in a lot more. Spider-Man on the other hand had the fantastic web-swinging as well as a more interesting cast of characters. GOT was mostly riding a horse through grassy fields and finding random groups of bandits, something that the gaming industry has no shortage of.

TLDR? It's a 7/10 game. Does some things really well but is let down in many other ways.

Yorker14

Apr 27, 2022
Sydney, Australia
It was a fantastic game but man it was such a downer of a game too.

I get it, it's set in a time of a brutal war. But every. single. mission. was either serious or sad. Whether it was a main story quest or a side quest. As far as I can remember there isn't a single one that's at least a bit uplifting (haven't played Iki because to hell with Sony I'm not going to shell out another 70 just for an expansion).
You don't have to shell out $70 for the expansion, stop the cap. If you already have the game (which you claim to) it's a $20 expansion, or $30 if you want the PS5 features such as higher resolution, better shadows and particle effects, improved foliage, faster load times, Japanese lip-sync, 3D audio and Dualsense features. That is a reasonable price for a modern expansion to me.

Sep 21, 2019
It's a solid 9/10 held back by a horribly repetitive mission structure that cannot sustain the length of the game.

There are very, very few surprises once you get into the game's rhythm outside of changing biomes and some combat mechanics.

The game becomes pretty long in the tooth when you reach the third act, imo.

Still, the art direction is astounding. More mission variety and exploration surprises in the open world would have made this one for the ages.

The inevitable sequel will hopeful improve upon these elements.

D.Dragoon

Mar 2, 2018
It was okay and pretty boring halfway. Also I could not care less about one of main points of the story being about honor and dishonor.

Oct 25, 2017
i've come to realise that, under the right circumstances, i kind of like games that """copy and paste""" ideas all over the map. i really like the "variations on a theme" approach when it's done well. seeing designers mix things up for dramatic or comedic effect after establishing the rules of the activity can be super memorable, and i really think that ghost nails it.

Ilyahero

Nov 25, 2019
I don't understand why people love this game so much. It's just a ubi style open world with good graphics. Honestly I was afraid that Got would be tga's game of the year.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
I enjoyed it but yeah I echo the over reliance on the "Ubi" style open world mission progress. To be honest I'm getting major burnout from "Ride the damn horse/animal from point A to B 75% of the time in an open world" type games - Elden Ring, Assassin's Creed series, Tsushima, Witcher 3, Zelda, Red Dead Redemption, etc., etc. Such uninspired game design. Complete mission, reveal more on map, do side missions-get items, back to main mission for more map reveal, rinse, repeat, repeat ad nauseam. Like why is everyone doing this horse and checklist shit?

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I imagine that if you play Ubisoft's fare ot the like, this was less appealing.

I don't play most Ubisoft games and, as a result, went in and had an amazing time with it.

Not saying that applies to everyone, but I could definitely see why that might be the case.

I just loved the game.

OP
OP
Nothing Loud

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Just beat the curse of uchitsune quest. What a delightful side quest that also took me to an amazingly scenic shrine off a rope bridge. Love this game!

TheBiInBilingual

THE STORE ENSURED ME THERE WOULDN'T BE FILM
Feb 22, 2018
You don't have to shell out $70 for the expansion, stop the cap. If you already have the game (which you claim to) it's a $20 expansion, or $30 if you want the PS5 features such as higher resolution, better shadows and particle effects, improved foliage, faster load times, Japanese lip-sync, 3D audio and Dualsense features. That is a reasonable price for a modern expansion to me.

Did they change that later? I remember when the expansion launched the only way to get it was to buy the new 70€ sku

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
traditional open world formula perfected. dont know how many of those i need though.

Last edited:

Raigor

May 14, 2020
It's Sony''s best "Ubisoft open world copycat", yes there's a lot of repetition and the stealth with broken IA is a big miss but the combat and visuals alone made it a great game.

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
As a huge Assassins Creed fan until the most recent entries this felt like a proper evolution of that series. Like what should have become of the series after AC2.

The world is gorgeous to explore and the movement feels great to explore it in, combat is exciting and there are different ways to play, narrative is tight(this is extremely sloppy in AC), performances are great, dialogue is not ham fisted, it doesn't overstay it's welcome, character feels deadly and there is totally optional collectathons which are interesting to read (Assassins Creed tries this but interjects meta commentary which kinda worked initially when it was Shaun's little comments but has progressivley got bad to worse to cringe), the cosmetics are way more fun to find than unlocking a new weapon that you will never use or in the new games is just scrap, character stories are really strong and feel personal and not forced.

Plus no GoT coins to buy on PSN plastered over the single player menu.

Can't wait for a sequel. Really hoping for one more focused in a city. Plenty of Samurai movies to lean on for some inspiration of Samurai turned assassins ambushing their targets in dark city streets.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Could not finish it in the middle of winter this year. Monotone and depressing. Kinda boring.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
platinumed, one of the most gorgeous open world settings tbh.
combat was top notch too, even though you could get op a bit easily.
can't wait to see how they improve with a sequel.

remaster also has fantastic dualsense implementation as a plus.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
It was so good, can't wait for a sequel. The side characters were great, the exploration was rewarding and both the stealth and the combat was satisfying. The only things I want in the next would be more verticality, more complex villages with maybe a city and a grappling hook that retracts like tenchu and such, realism be damned.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
8/10 for me, platinum'd. Somewhere between liked and loved. Dunno which to vote, I'll go with "liked". Haven't played much of the island expansion though.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Just my counterpoints in green/red dependent on whether I agree or disagree. Obviously this is all subjective and simply based on my experience.

- The open world is interesting in just how beautiful it is, it makes traversing the island of Tsushima visually spectacular.
Agree
- Each collectible doesn't feel frustrating or annoying to collect, in fact they all make sense in the history and mythos of the story.
Disagree. They are so unbearably repetitive and dull, and they tie into either protracted or inconsequential rewards. 5 fox shrines for extra slot? The activity involves walking from A to B.
- Great mix of stealth, long range, short range combat gameplay make for interesting scenarios and multiplayer.
Disagree. Ranged gameplay doesn't have a lot of depth to it at all, and it's pretty unsatisfying most of the time. The bows don't feel fantastic to use and it's far too easy to walk around a camp and headshot every minor enemy. There's also a severe lack of enemies which really kills the variety of combat scenarios posed to the player.
- The combat system is exquisitely detailed for what would otherwise feel like an Assassin's Creed clone. Changing stances and using items mid-fight brings a lot of variety to the moment-to-moment gameplay.
Disagree. The combat system really lacks room for the players creative expression most of the time, the stances are prescribed solutions to particular problems that it expects you to employ consistently (e.g. if an enemy has a shield, you use x stance, if an enemy is a giant, you use y stance). It lacks the nuance that comes with more 'fuzzy' combat systems wherein the player can creatively use all of their moveset and must figure out how to be most effective with each based on characteristics like range, speed and effect.
- The graphics. What the fuck. Playing on PS5 on my LG G1 77" OLED and it's just unspeakably gorgeous. Thank you for the enhanced graphical options here.
- Photo mode is detailed and fun to use.
Agree. The game does look very good.
- Upgradeables feel fun to strive for and you're automatically notified when something's ready for upgrade.
Disagree. The upgrades aren't fun because they don't enable you to do anything you couldn't already do. From the beggining to end your playstyle feels very similar.
- Having said that, lots of QoL features that make this open world game not annoying or boring to navigate.
Agree. Fast travel is quick. That doesn't make or break a game for me though. It's a nice feature but games like W3 have horrenous load times and a fairly painful fast travel system and yet people rarely complain about it. The fast travel system here is just a band-aid on top of the tedious and repetitive open world activities.
- Great touchpad/DualSense integration.
Agree. This is a nice feature but it's not especially important to me either.
- Great story.
I think the story is okay, but very predictable and generally lacks interesting character development for characters outside of the war-torn context. You don't really know much about who these people are outside of their wars and losses.
- Great dual English/Japanese voice acting.
Agree.
- Smooth, seamless combat and traversal animations. They worked really hard to avoid Assassin's Creed jank city.
I agree with this, but at the same time I think the movement options aren't very interesting here a lot of the time. You have more freedom of movement in Assassins Creed or even games like Sekiro, than you do here. There are very, very few tall buildings and the few that do exist are seen recurrently and so they're not especially interesting to climb after a while. What value is a climbing system when almost every enemy camp is packed with ground-floor huts? Areas of the game such as the largest fortresses are also very restrictive with where you can climb, often using large vertical walls to block the player off and funnel the player through a very linear narrative path.

Overall, I think the game is just alright. It sets good groundwork for what could be a fantastic game set in this period, I think from a technical and artistic standpoint it's almost peerless as far as open world games go. It's incredibly polished and so rarely do you see games where the technical ability of a studio come together with such strong artistic vision. However, the design makes many missteps that make it less enjoyable than many games that have came before it which I explain my feelings on above.

7/10 from me.

Farlander

Game Designer
Verified
Sep 29, 2021
I have made a 1h40m video on YouTube dissecting what makes Ghost of Tsushima awesome. It is one of my most favorite games of all time.

I think it is a victim of a "innovation is valued more than craft and iteration" culture. It has one of the best combat systems ever (best sword-based system in open world genre, rivaled by actual action games only - there are so many cool details and possible player freedom and flexibility, especially with stance system where you learn how to use non-matching stances to be more effective than using matching stances, which fits with the theme of breaking the rules to become the Ghost), and it is one of the most holistic games I have ever played in my lifetime. It's not flawless, in particular there is a big problem of a dichotomy with how the open world is designed... but it is a true modern classic.

Arithmetician

Oct 9, 2019

Pretty much agree with everything you said beat-by-beat, except combat. I liked the one-on-one duels a lot, but regular combat was just playing Simon Says with stances, it was very dull.

But I would describe this kind of game as an 8/10 game personally - does everything well enough and is polished, but doesn't innovate or excel at anything. I agree that a lot of the enthusiasm for it felt like people who didn't like TLoU 2 looking for some other game to fight for.