• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
jon bones

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Never played League of Legends but I do love card games, so I installed this today and tried to pre-register. I'm also trying to download Teamfight Tactics, does anyone here know if that's a separate launcher/username or is it the same ecosystem as Runeterra?

It's all the same username, but two separate lauchers:

League of Legends + TFT = 1 launcher
Legends of Runeterra = 1 launcher

I think in time all of these will collapse into 1 Riot Games launcher, but not quite there yet.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
I have some very mean words for players being seperated by regions in 2020. :/

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Have they said what their stance on balance is?

If they're only doing cosmetics as paid stuff, then they're free to rebalance cards like they do for League itself and it becomes a non-issue.

I haven't followed the game closely so I wouldn't know but the problem isn't the balance per-say. It's that everyone has access to everything via crafting which is a good thing in essence but makes rank tiers meaningless in a card-game.

Sr Kitsune

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Baja California, Mexico

Hey it would be great if you added this info to the OT, from Mobalytics. Spells can be very confusing for new players.

Spells

-
Spells can be cast at three different speeds (described below). You can use spell mana to cast spells (you cannot do so for champions and followers).

• Burst: Burst cards can be played before, during, or after combat. They can be used in response to other spells being cast. The difference between Burst and Fast is that Burst cards do not count as an action and will not end your turn like a Slow or Fast card. As long as you are casting Burst cards and have the mana for them, you can cast them until you play a non-Burst card or end your turn.
  • Fast: Fast cards can be played before, during, or after combat. You can queue multiple Fast spells at at the same time to be cast as one action. They can also be used in response to Slow and Fast spells being cast.
  • Slow: Slow cards can only be cast on your turn before or after combat. They cannot be used in response to other spells being cast.

I highly recommend the Mobalytics wiki, it explains very succinctly many confusing keywords, and adds small descriptions of the deck styles of every region.

If you come from Hearthstone, from Aguilio's guide in mobalytics:
heartstone_rune.jpg

If you come from Magic (Again from Agilio's guide):
mtg_rune_final.jpg

More helpful images, again from another Agilio's guide:
spell-seed.jpg

Game flow:
combat.jpg

flow-chart.jpg

Very hyped for this game

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I think the Anivia nerf is very tastefully done. It doesn't kill the card and it makes it more faithful to LoL in terms of its defensiveness. Just realized they haven't decided to rethink The Box or Kalista, which is a shame.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
The magic players guide was super useful (as someone who doesn't play HS but plays MTG everyday). I really appreciate it Kitsune. A lot of the mechanics when i was reading up are very similar and relatable to Magic and even ESL (RIP) so i understood those fairly fast.

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
Sr Kitsune Thank you so much for posting those charts! Really helpful as both a Hearthstone and Magic player (more so Magic). I love White and Black decks most of all, so looks like I'll concentrate on Shadow Isles and Demacia to start with. Getting kinda excited for this tomorrow. Hopefully it's easy to play without paying much (if any) actual money, not looking for a money sink right now.

If I just pre-registered today will I not be able to play tomorrow? That would be a bummer, I have off tomorrow but work all weekend.

Deleted member 38227

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Hey it would be great if you added this info to the OT, from Mobalytics. Spells can be very confusing for new players.

I highly recommend the Mobalytics wiki, it explains very succinctly many confusing keywords, and adds small descriptions of the deck styles of every region.

heartstone_rune.jpg

mtg_rune_final.jpg

spell-seed.jpg

Game flow:
combat.jpg

flow-chart.jpg

Very hyped for this game
Genius. Can't wait to try it out tomorrow.

Sr Kitsune

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Baja California, Mexico
Economy update posted:

A lot of it doesn't mean much without understanding exactly how much XP is worth, but some quick gleaning in combination with the old article on weekly vaults:
  • You should be 75% base set complete by the first expansion if all you do is hit the LV10 vault weekly. -quote from Riot
  • You need 13k XP for the LV10 vault, which is the breakpoint for the free expedition (ie free Champion card).
  • Your daily quest gives you 1000-1500 XP (pulled from a single graphic and my memory, subject to change). So, 1250 XP on average.
    • Can store up to 3 dailies.
  • You earn 600 XP for 1st win of the day, 400 for 2nd, 300 for 3rd, 200 until your 10th win.
    • After that, it tapers off 50 XP per 5-10 wins until 30 wins.
  • You earn 100 XP for the first five losses.
    • Tapers off 25 XP per 5-10 losses until 20 losses.
  • So, 3 wins + 3 losses a day + your quest gets you 2,850 XP/day which means you need to play 6 games per day, 4.5 days a week to hit the weekly LV10 vault.
    • Alternatively, 4 games per day, 5.5 days a week also gets you there.
    • Alternatively, if you're good at the game, you need 3 WINS a day, 5 days a week.
    • These estimates are a bit higher than in reality because you can bank 3 dailies, so you'll be recouping about half of your missed XP from your rest days anyway.
  • The LV10 vault used to give a free champion, but now it gives an expedition token instead, which is net positive reward.
    • You should be able to forfeit your expeditions for the minimum champion card.
    • Each expedition is actually two arena runs and takes the best outcome for reward computation, but you can always play twice for the fun of it.
So unless the daily quest rewards change, this is pretty much what you're looking at for F2P progression. Outside of the weekly vaults, leveling up each of the 5 regions will be the bulk of your starting progression. If I have time tonight, I can sit down and do some analysis on the returns of that, but it will be much less clear since I have no idea what's in the different capsules and chests and whatnot. Bottom line, if you want to hit 100% set completion, getting every LV10 weekly chest + grinding some expeditions will most likely get you there.

EDIT: Just found a video uploaded today from some early access content creators:

You can net your daily quests and bonus win/loss XP from friend matches too. That's pretty awesome.

Just a heads up, a Rioter commented in reddit that they've updated the XP Rewards section, they pulled data from the wrong spreadsheet when redacting the article and values got mixed. (They mixed Defeat constructed XP and Defeat vs AI XP)

Quoting the updated XP section, I don't have the old version to compare to. But I believe you can spot the difference in the constructed, lose xp:
Constructed XP
  • First-wins bonus XP
    • 400 bonus XP for your first PVP win each day, 200 for the 2nd, and 100 for the 3rd.
    • Base PVP win XP now 200 (from 250).
  • More XP from PVP losses
    • Base PVP loss XP now 100 (from 25).
  • Diminishing XP rewards over many hours
    • PVP Wins (per day)
      • Wins 11-15 (in one day) reward 150 XP.
      • Wins 16-20 reward 100 XP.
      • Wins 21-30 reward 50 XP.
      • Wins 31+ reward 0 XP. Get some sleep and come back tomorrow you maniac.
    • PVP Losses
      • Losses 5-10 (in one day) reward 50 XP.
      • Losses 11+ (in one day) reward 0 XP.
    • Vs AI Wins (per day)
      • Wins 5-10 reward 75 XP.
      • Wins 11-20 reward 50 XP.
      • Wins 21+ reward 0 XP.
    • Vs AI Losses
      • Base XP reward is 50 XP.
      • Losses 5-10 reward 25 XP.
      • Losses 11+ reward 0 XP.
    • Comparison to old values (PVP)
      • Reduced win XP doesn't set in until 11 wins in a day, which is on average about 20 games or 3 hours and 20 minutes of daily play.
      • Overall win XP is higher until 14 wins in one day (where it evens out), then lower.
      • Losses grant more XP until 21+ (where they now grant 0)
      • Generally, we don't expect players to reach comparatively lower XP until they play for about 7-9 hours straight in one day.

Expeditions XP
  • Base Expeditions wins = 100 XP, Base Expeditions losses = 50 XP (unchanged but included for reference).
  • Per-game XP for Expeditions shares the same PVP tracks for Constructed play outlined above, but will diminish to 0 more quickly due to lower base values.
  • Expeditions grant a bonus burst of XP (0-2000 XP depending on wins) upon completing a trial (unchanged but included for reference). This end-of-run burst XP is not subject to diminishing XP rewards, and will always be granted at full value.

The Riot comment in reddit:
_A_Small_Man
Verified Riot
5 points·58 minutes ago·edited 48 minutes ago

Hey u/spiritplx, FYI those original values you're listing are actually still there, just now correctly labelled as "Vs AI Wins" (pulled the wrong stuff from a spreadsheet when building this article). Sorry for the errors and confusion.
u/aquanort One thing to keep in mind is the comparison to how loss XP worked in the preview patches:
Preview patches - all losses were worth 25 XP.
Now - PVP losses grant 100 XP base, 50 XP for losses 5-10, and then 0 for 11+.
Overall we think this should feel better in almost all scenarios, though this is a huge body of changes so we'll definitely be keeping an eye on how things play out early in open beta. Thanks for the feedback!

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
So far, mostly good. All of the balance changes seem good.

Not happy about region locking, we'll see how things go there or if I'll just make an American account.

Also sad they didn't radically change expeditions, because as a draft guy, frankly, it sucked and needs an overhaul.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Glad I have Sat/Sun/Mon off, as I'll need time between this and KH3 Re:Mind.

Maybe I'll download this on my Surface Pro during my 3.5 hour break between classes on Friday, lol

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Just a heads up, a Rioter commented in reddit that they've updated the XP Rewards section, they pulled data from the wrong spreadsheet when redacting the article and values got mixed. (They mixed Defeat constructed XP and Defeat vs AI XP)

Quoting the updated XP section, I don't have the old version to compare to. But I believe you can spot the difference in the constructed, lose xp:
Yup! It doesn't really change anything in my post because I'm only tracking the first handful of wins and losses. Having base AI wins being worth half as much as PvP is quite generous. If you find it fun, you could probably play 6 AI (guaranteed) wins and come out almost as good as 3 wins, 3 losses PvP.

Flame Flamey

Feb 8, 2018
Think I'm going to run a Demacian Elite deck, mainly because Cithria is a cool character in the lore. Love the way she progresses across cards.

ao6mjtoa9kt31.png

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017

heartstone_rune.jpg

mtg_rune_final.jpg

spell-seed.jpg

Game flow:
combat.jpg

flow-chart.jpg

Very hyped for this game
thanks for these!

Survivortype

May 2, 2018
Van City
CB people ARE covered and will begin playing tomorrow.
sorry if I wasn't clear enough when I said they said you were covered ^^; but yeah you should be fine.
Alright!
Sweet! Having some boys over tmr so it'll be fun to play some drafts together. When we play HS arena we usually draft 10 cards each and then take turns playing the deck. Of course making fun of whoever gets that third loss XD

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Oh yeah Swimmer had a Riot Tester in his chat explaining the changes, we knew they had sets planned ahead, but apparently Cloud Drinker was nerfed because of interactions in future sets. It's good to know like HS and Magic that they're on top of things, I expect the content stream to be strong.

Oct 27, 2017
They're using a new currency, so you cannot port over existing Riot Points. Last I heard about servers, there will be shards, but bigger than LoL. Europe is supposed to be one shard. But maybe things have changed, because they've been putting in effort to unify accounts across regions and I don't see the point of that if they're still going to shard.

Thanks for the info. Guess my stack of RP is going to rot. I don't buy the excuse, I think it is not beneficial for Riot to share currency, and they just latched onto the first excuse. App store currency is there to prevent app publishers from selling their product outside the ecosystem circumventing Google/Apple profits, so if Riot is selling the currency directly on PC, the excuse falls apart.

I see regions in the launcher :( All of them... If they split EUW and EUNE, not even going to bother with the game.

I think Riot invested into the lore a couple of years ago. No longer just a background bio of characters, but comics/events/stories are promoting the lore. One area they completely suck is lore-based skins. There should be more skins based on lore events: young, historical battles. At the moment, most LoL skins are just cosplays of things outside the lore.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the info. Guess my stack of RP is going to rot. I don't buy the excuse, I think it is not beneficial for Riot to share currency, and they just latched onto the first excuse. App store currency is there to prevent app publishers from selling their product outside the ecosystem circumventing Google/Apple profits, so if Riot is selling the currency directly on PC, the excuse falls apart.
Yeah. Shadowverse just keeps your currencies separate, so no reason why Riot couldn't port RP over and keep it PC only. Also, I hate that they made a ton of micro tweaks and hinted at the ramifications (commons net less shards, also shards are worth some other amt we don't know about). Just feels like typical gatcha obfuscation.

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
Oh yeah Swimmer had a Riot Tester in his chat explaining the changes, we knew they had sets planned ahead, but apparently Cloud Drinker was nerfed because of interactions in future sets. It's good to know like HS and Magic that they're on top of things, I expect the content stream to be strong.

Knowing Riot, they'll be consistent in the balance changes. I doubt we'll ever run into a situation where the game 'breaks' because of card interactions, or to see them outright ban cards like Magic when they can simply be changed.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Knowing Riot, they'll be consistent in the balance changes. I doubt we'll ever run into a situation where the game 'breaks' because of card interactions, or to see them outright ban cards like Magic when they can simply be changed.
I just hope they don't go overboard on rebalancing. Gwent going monthly with significant balance changes and forcing you to recraft and rebuild decks constantly ruined that game for me.

Soggoth

Oct 29, 2017
I just hope they don't go overboard on rebalancing. Gwent going monthly with significant balance changes and forcing you to recraft and rebuild decks constantly ruined that game for me.

Terra has different approach to card acquisition so constant rebalancing shouldn't hurt so much here :)

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
If they start doing it a lot i hope they implement something like MTGA does where if they ban a card they refund the wildcards. I know nerfing isn't banning but imagine crafting a deck only to have multiple key cards useless. That would suck especially for people who won't minmax.

Deleted member 38227

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I got the email that I'm in... I get to play today! I have a meeting at work and it looks like I'll be back home in time for the roll-out. HYPE.

EDIT: Looks like I'll be doing Piltover & Zaun/Noxus as I mostly play Hunter in HS and Rakdos in Magic.

Last edited:

LightBang

Mar 16, 2018
Moderately excited for this. Can't wait to discover the game, I know basically nothing which should make this super-fun on the short term. Mid and long term..., after Hearthstone, Gwent, Magic and Artifact in some way or another screwed up, I just can't trust card games to grow positively.

Anyway, hope the game has a good tutorial.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Moderately excited for this. Can't wait to discover the game, I know basically nothing which should make this super-fun on the short term. Mid and long term..., after Hearthstone, Gwent, Magic and Artifact in some way or another screwed up, I just can't trust card games to grow positively.
this is where I am at. I'm just waiting on the other shoe to drop due to my experience with other card games...

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I'm in for a good not a long time

That said Slay the Spire is so fucking good if an online game dies I know I've got a perfect single player experience just waiting for me

But also Artifact for life