• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
They were guests in a country famous for their complete disregard for human rights. Is it seriously that hard to believe that the people who were there might have felt unsafe after seeing the backlash in the news?
Say they were in danger. The lives of a few are worth more than the millions of Muslims and dissidents formerly and currently in death camps?

Why do you see no value in their lives?

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
So they're going to kill/harm some of the most high-profile Americans and incite a potential war from the US Government?

China lacks in human rights, but they are not stupid to go risk a war over athletes.
its not just the athletes.

also its not hard to imagine what it feels like when shit is getting cancelled left and right, you are being told to not leave the hotel. You try being in a foreign country after finding out one of your coworkers just pissed off important people and now you are being treated differently....can't imagine thats easy on the mind. Regardless of their status, no one is fucking thinking about that in the moment.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
LeBron stans out here like I've never seen. The "context" doesn't make his statement any less terrible.

SuperBonk

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If we're operating under the assumption that the CCP is so hostile and volatile that someone tangentially related to Lebron James tweeting something as benign as "Stand with Hong Kong" is enough to put him in any type of danger other than financially, it's a much stronger condemnation of the NBA deal with China than this whole saga will ever be.

If that's the case, the players should not be there in the first place.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
If we're operating under the assumption that the CCP is so hostile and volatile that someone tangentially related to Lebron James tweeting something as benign as "Stand with Hong Kong" is enough to put him in any type of danger other than financially, it's a much stronger condemnation of the NBA deal with China than this whole saga will ever be.

yeah it really feels like lebron just unintentionally fanned the flames. ain't gonna complain about that though

Brashnir

Oct 25, 2017
LeBron James: One of the all-time great basketball players. One of the all-time worst basketball PR reps.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Lebron was one of the players in China. He clearly doesn't know that CCP isn't crazy enough to do that.

And if they were, he would have found out. I can see why that might make him say some stupid stuff.

Still this puts him in a bit of an awkward spot. Either he's educated on the situation so feels unsafe but chooses to word things in a way where hes very careful for it to sound friendly to the CCP, or he's completely unaware and had no reason to be worried.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
Many people think in black & white on the issue of HK/China, but that's because China itself has made it into a black & white issue by taking a zero tolerance stance on any perceived criticism.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Say they were in danger. The lives of a few are worth more than the millions of Muslims and dissidents formerly and currently in death camps?

Why do you see no value in their lives?
Oh fuck off with this. I am firm supporter of the Hong Kong protests and have been since they started. And i have already boycott Blizzard and deleted all their shit for their handling of the Hearthstone incident. Just because I am not willing to bury LeBron because he pointed out that Morey didn't consoder the safety of the NBA personnel in China doesn't mean I "see no value in the lives" of people in death camps.

To even try to imply that is fucking bullshit and you know it.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure my professional and academic credentials trumps your's (we can get a mod to verify). Are you now restricted from pointing out ways that I may be misinformed?

Hey if my GPA , GMAT, and salary are higher than your's, can I also tell you to piss off?
Your depression doesn't negate your coded racism, nor do I care about it. Do better, and know that my pieces of papers from elite institutions and employers stand higher than your's. Thus base on your logic, you can't really critique what I am saying.
Just want to point out that it is pretty funny you repeatedly misspelled "yours" in the posts you were putting down that user for not being as academically or professionally accomplished. (I get that you were dismissing him based on his own logic--and I agree with the point you're making--but still, funny)

Oct 26, 2017
its not just the athletes.

also its not hard to imagine what it feels like when shit is getting cancelled left and right, you are being told to not leave the hotel. You try being in a foreign country after finding out one of your coworkers just pissed off important people and now you are being treated differently....can't imagine thats easy on the mind. Regardless of their status, no one is fucking thinking about that in the moment.

"high-profile Americans"

That still doesn't mean being harmed is legitimate. It's concern-trolling, because you're talking about some of the most famous people in America at China. Their status alone is what will protect them given that anything happening to them will immediately result in the US Government being on their ass (keep in mind, they already have an icy relationship as it is with the tariffs and trade wars). Like I said, China lacks in human rights, but they will not start a war over athletes + GMs + NBA staff.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Just want to point out that it is pretty funny you repeatedly misspelled "yours" in the posts you were putting down that user for not being as academically or professionally accomplished. (I get that you were dismissing him based on his own logic--and I agree with the point you're making--but still, funny)
Lo siento--Grammarly extension is blocked on my work laptop and it would have caught that lol

Twstr709

Oct 27, 2017

So much this.

amprainy

May 31, 2019
Although it's not the stance I hoped he would take, I think we can understand a professional athlete wanting to stay neutral on the situation and not try to rock the boat so to speak. I don't think the responsibility should fall on him or other NBA players. There are ways Lebron could have stated it better and he shouldn't have been as dismissive of Morey's tweet, but I respect that he commented anything at all rather than just resorting to "no comment" in this situation.

ThaNotoriousSOD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand the people on Twitter defending this and saying it's because he was worried about his safety there. What the fuck is china gonna do to Lebron James? They can get away with putting a million Uighur Muslims in extermination camps sure, but if they touched Lebron James or any US citizens they'd immediately lose all international legitimacy. It would fuck them beyond reproach I'm so many ways. the worst that would happen is they'd probably have immediately kicked all the nba players out of the country.

Oct 26, 2017
To be fair, he was #thanking MLK...not saying that he'd do the same thing.

Wonder how MLK would feel about Muslims being forced to renounce their religion, or be tortured to death in Nazi-esque concentration camps, or China's response to basic human rights in Hong Kong. Can't imagine it'd be that much different than championing for civil rights for black people in the 1950s (ESPECIALLY when we know MLK was against the Vietnam war too).

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Although it's not the stance I hoped he would take, I think we can understand a professional athlete wanting to stay neutral on the situation and not try to rock the boat so to speak. I don't think the responsibility should fall on him or other NBA players. There are ways Lebron could have stated it better and he shouldn't have been as dismissive of Morey's tweet, but I respect that he commented anything at all rather than just resorting to "no comment" in this situation.
Except he's trying to garner sympathy, saying that he and the league have had a "difficult" week.

He needs to check his damn privilege. He's worth mid 9 figures playing a kid's game. He's not having a difficult week.

Oct 25, 2017
Gordita Beach
Wonder how MLK would feel about Muslims being forced to renounce their religion, or be tortured to death in Nazi-esque concentration camps, or China's response to basic human rights in Hong Kong. Can't imagine it'd be that much different than championing for civil rights for black people in the 1960s (ESPECIALLY when we know MLK was against the Vietnam war too).
MLK wouldn't be doing business in China. LeBron speaking out against China would ruin his Nike deal for example.

That's the price you pay for doing business with that country.

vatisthis?

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder how MLK would feel about Muslims being forced to renounce their religion, or be tortured to death in Nazi-esque concentration camps, or China's response to basic human rights in Hong Kong. Can't imagine it'd be that much different than championing for civil rights for black people in the 1950s (ESPECIALLY when we know MLK was against the Vietnam war too).
Could you imagine someone asking him to wait another week for a protest so they can be out of town when it happens?
"Thanks for your sacrifices, dude. I'm really taking all this to the bank."
"great speech. I had a #dream too."

Oct 27, 2017
I can understand what he's saying. It really felt like Morey was just firing off random tweets without thinking about the bigger picture of players in a country and putting them in spots. If he wants to put himself out there fine so be it, but now you are forcing players to address issues that they may not feel comfortable with.

If I'm going on a talk show to talk about idk the Joker and I have Todd Philips our there saying shooting from the hip, I'm going to be annoyed that I have to pivot and address things I don't want to whether they are good or bad.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I want to see more fans in NBA arenas this year with signage in support of Hong Kong. Keep doing it until the NBA is sick of kicking out those fans

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I want to see more fans in NBA arenas this year with signage in support of Hong Kong. Keep doing it until the NBA is sick of kicking out those fans
I wanna see the same, but I'm afraid that if it starts happening often enough that they will just start taking peoples signs away at the door before they let them in.

Apr 17, 2019
Viridia
In hindsight I'd have preferred the "no comment".
I thought the worst he could possibly say was that he personally have no stakes in this and doesn't want to get involved, he wants to focus on other issues and do good there. I can sympathize with that.

But no, he just have to criticize what started all this mess in the first place. Taking a page out of his book just the ramifications of his response here and not the substance is already making the optics look like : Morey is all to blame, criticizing China is a not allowed, you can't rock the boat etc etc.