• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lake

Oct 27, 2017
Nearly all phones have fixed-focus selfie cameras, including your 1000+ dollar iPhones, Samsungs, Huawei etc. Autofocus in selfie cams is, unfortunately, a rarity.
Ah yeah, you're right. My point of ref had been the Pixel 3/XL, which does have that. I found just a few others that do, all expensive flagships. Hrm.

Idle Talk

Oct 25, 2017
As an original Pixel owner, I find it completely idiotic and brain dead to remove the rear fingerprint scanner. Like what is the reason? Other than following everything Apple does.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
Somebody remind me why a phone like this is priced at $900-1000 when there are phones with better specs (OnePlus 7 Pro) that are $600-700? Google, Apple, and Samsung are price-gouging people. The screen looks better than the Pixel 3 screen, at least, but how hard is it to design slim bezels on the top and bottom and call it a day? Fuck. Just hire me at Google and I'll consult them.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
R. I. P fingerprint scanner. :(
Yeah that's the best thing about my Pixel 2 XL and I don't think I could live without it at this point. Face ID is whatever at this point and I'm not planning on getting another phone unless it's got some sort of easily accessible fingerprint scanner. Looks like I won't be upgrading any time soon.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
We ever going to get a Pixel Watch?

Not sure if I would actually get it - I would just really want to see what they would do for that and if it would actually look good.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Im problably the only one pissed that the back is not 2 shades of same color anymore... now it looks like every other smartphone out there.

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As an original Pixel owner, I find it completely idiotic and brain dead to remove the rear fingerprint scanner. Like what is the reason? Other than following everything Apple does.
Because Face unlock is more convenient In almost every way, if they have solved the slim field of view issues that first gen Face ID has then it's a no brainier to have face unlock.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Somebody remind me why a phone like this is priced at $900-1000 when there are phones with better specs (OnePlus 7 Pro) that are $600-700? Google, Apple, and Samsung are price-gouging people. The screen looks better than the Pixel 3 screen, at least, but how hard is it to design slim bezels on the top and bottom and call it a day? Fuck. Just hire me at Google and I'll consult them.
The answer is simple. People are going to pay that much, so they keep the prices high at best and raise them a bit at worst.
Kind of wish the Chinese phones would be more popular and successful so those greedy companies would feel the competition and have to price their phones accordingly.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
2 hands to unlock your phone with an under-screen sensor? Under screenprint sensing is advancing so it's only going to get better in time, and if my pixel 3 had an under-screen print sensor I don't think it would be awkward at all in terms of positioning, you definitely wouldn't need 2 hands for this.
Yeah the under display stuff is moving quick. Rumor is in either 2020 or 2021 Apple will be using one that allows you to unlock by placing your finger anywhere on the screen by using some sort of ultrasound-like fingerprint identification system. That would be really cool. Keep FaceID with it and you have an extremely secure phone.

T8SC

Oct 28, 2017
UK
So basically it does everything my current 2 year old phone does and a bunch of stuff I won't ever use. Just like the Galaxy S and all the other phones released yearly.

Looks like I'll wait for 5g to roll out more before changing then, hope my battery stays good.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
The answer is simple. People are going to pay that much, so they keep the prices high at best and raise them a bit at worst.
Kind of wish the Chinese phones would be more popular and successful so those greedy companies would feel the competition and have to price their phones accordingly.

Fair enough. Still, for what you're paying, they should offer 12 GB RAM, 256 GB, and at least a 4000 mAh battery. Samsung gives you 1 TB of space on one of their phones.

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Based on how shitty the TouchID on my iPad Pro is, I am not surprised that FaceID seems like a better option. I just don't see the appeal.
You don't see the appeal of seamless authentication? Really? I open my banking app and it automatically unlocks because I'm looking at the screen, I don't need to move my finger to a fingerprint reader or even think about authentication, it just does it via Face ID.

I honestly don't understand how people can prefer fingerprint over face unlock.

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You don't see the appeal of seamless authentication? Really? I open my banking app and it automatically unlocks because I'm looking at the screen, I don't need to move my finger to a fingerprint reader or even think about authentication, it just does it via Face ID.

I honestly don't understand how people can prefer fingerprint over face unlock.

The time you save not having to move your finger is the time Face ID takes longer than a fast fingerprint reader :P

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017

Not sure if I would actually get it - I would just really want to see what they would do for that and if it would actually look good.

When Google starts creating their own custom chips like Apple's A/S/etc-series chips that'll probably happen. I imagine the current Qualcomm watch-specific chips they're not that happy with, hence no Pixel Watch yet.

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The time you save not having to move your finger is the time Face ID takes longer than a fast fingerprint reader :P
They already increased the speed of Face ID by 30% on the XS series, then iOS 13 increased the speed of Face ID on all devices by another 30%.

Face ID is plenty fast and I'm sure it will get even faster.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
pixel-4-high-quality-leak-2.jpg

pixel-4-high-quality-leak-1.jpg

More at the link along with a short Coral Pixel video

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Still no headphone jack huh

And before anyone says the 3 didn't, the latest pixel did, and even though the latest pixel was supposed to be a budget option, it was much better received than the one before it, so it's in google's best interest to include it!

dpanim

Oct 27, 2017
My original Pixel XL still runs like a dream, thanks in part to still being supported and getting A10. First time ever where I haven't really felt the need to upgrade to a new phone within a 2-3 year span. I may just get the battery replaced and keep it for at least another year.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
They already increased the speed of Face ID by 30% on the XS series, then iOS 13 increased the speed of Face ID on all devices by another 30%.

Face ID is plenty fast and I'm sure it will get even faster.

its still way slower then a fingerprint if my ipad pro is an accurate representation of face unlock speed. I dont even care, i think its very useful for some things, and would like it, or both

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017

And before anyone says the 3 didn't, the latest pixel did, and even though the latest pixel was supposed to be a budget option, it was much better received than the one before it, so it's in google's best interest to include it!

Yeah I won't be getting any flagships if they don't have a headphone jack. Bluetooth audio still sucks and I'm not carrying around a bunch of adapters. You know what wasn't annoying? Already tiny bevels on the top and bottom of the phone and a head phone jack that I can use while charging.

And why can't they center the camera? Google's pixel phones are just ugly to me. The whole two-tone thing was ugly, and with the pixel 4 I don't like the look of the random square jammed up in the corner and sticking out past the frame. I've had my original nexus 6 for 4.5 years now and they got the design right back then.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I thought phones were heading away from that and into fingerprint anywhere under glass? Never had a rear one, but that doesn't sound as good unless it had the glass one too

Is it confirmed that the Pixel 4 is moving to a sensor under the glass? If so I'm interested. If it's a visual unlock, like FaceID, I'm not really as interested.

I believe the budget Pixel has the audio jack because it dropped that waterproof certification. Not that a phone can't achieve waterproof certification and have the 3.5mm jack, it can and there are a lot of devices that have both, but it's clearly a compromise Google was willing to make on the Pixel C, or whatver the budget one is.

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
Is it confirmed that the Pixel 4 is moving to a sensor under the glass? If so I'm interested. If it's a visual unlock, like FaceID, I'm not really as interested.

I believe the budget Pixel has the audio jack because it dropped that waterproof certification. Not that a phone can't achieve waterproof certification and have the 3.5mm jack, it can and there are a lot of devices that have both, but it's clearly a compromise Google was willing to make on the Pixel C, or whatver the budget one is.
But the compromise worked in their favor. Consumers loved the fact that the 3a brought the headphone jack back.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
But the compromise worked in their favor. Consumers loved the fact that the 3a brought the headphone jack back.

Yeah I'm with you, I care more about an audio jack than I do a phone being waterproof, but for whatever reason it seems like Google and Apple think that waterproof certification is more important than an audio jack, and they're not willing to make the investment to make a waterproof phone that also has an audio jack.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017

I know they were working on one but when Qualcomm announced their chip refresh and it turned out to be mostly battery improvements they canned it.

Can't say I blame them. Wear OS is a joke and Qualcomm's wearable chips suck.

Spinluck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago

I'd like both as well but I the lack of interest in Face only? It makes it hand-free as far as verification goes.

Google's camera software is sorcery so I'm sure it'd be fairly accurate.

I know they were working on one but when Qualcomm announced their chip refresh and it turned out to be mostly battery improvements they canned it.

Can't say I blame them. Wear OS is a joke and Qualcomm's wearable chips suck.

Any word on the quality of the new Fossil refresh? Gen 5 seems alright...

I like Samsungs tech but I just too many things around the house that work well with Google so I rather go with Wear OS even though it has been trash for a while.

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'm with you, I care more about an audio jack than I do a phone being waterproof, but for whatever reason it seems like Google and Apple think that waterproof certification is more important than an audio jack, and they're not willing to make the investment to make a waterproof phone that also has an audio jack.
Yeah so fuck them. I probably will go ahead and get the next pixel because I'm tired of 6 years of iPhones but I'm not fond of this trend at all.

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
This motion sense seems like googles version of the force touch joke apple played on poor saps a while back, I'd love to be proved wrong though

I'm disappointed with the supposed battery capacity, it's a marked jump from the 3 XL but I think 4000mAh should be expected

The Artisan I think Samsung was the last flagship holdout (?) the headphone jack refugees have nowhere left