• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Link to article

"It is with the greatest of sadness we must announce that our lead singer and brother Riley Gale passed away last night," the band wrote. "Riley was a friend, a brother, a son. Riley was both a larger than life rock star and a humble and giving friend. He touched so many lives through his lyrics and through his huge heart. He treated everyone he met as a friend and he always took care of his friends. We will celebrate Riley's life and never forget the great works of music, charity, and love that he left behind. You, the fans, meant so much to him, please know how special you are. If you have a memory of Riley please share it, no matter how small, as we remember him."

Gale was 22 when he formed Power Trip, working an office job and going to school at the University of North Texas in Denton. Power Trip released two albums on Southern Lord: their 2013 debut Manifest Decimation and 2017's Nightmare Logic. Their rarities compilation Opening Fire: 2008-2014 was released in 2018, and a live album arrived earlier this year.

Gale was politically outspoken. The title of Power Trip's Nightmare Logic song "If Not Us Then Who" was inspired by the late civil rights icon John Lewis. Gale spoke in interviews about how the album was also a reaction to extreme wealth disparity and the idea of a "revolt" against the very rich. Once, when Power Trip's music played on Fox News, the band tweeted an all-caps "CEASE & DESIST." "If you don't like our stances, don't support our band," Gale said in a 2018 Revolver interview. "It doesn't make a single difference to us. ... We try to make it pretty clear that we might all be white males, but this is not a band for white males to enjoy and be dumb rednecks."

This fucking sucks. I don't think they've said what the cause was. Was really interested to see what they ended up doing after Nightmare Logic and I felt like the band had all the potential in the world.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
RIP. The band is an ally and a half, dude tried to do good work in his time here and the records they made were killer.

www.thedentonite.com

Power Trip Show at Andy's to Benefit Planned Parenthood — THE DENTONITE

Dallas’ own hometown heroes of hardcore Power Trip are taking the stage at Andy’s tomorrow night to record a live video shoot promoting their new song “Executioner’s Tax,” while simultaneously raising money for Planned Parenthood through donations at the door. Not only do you get a chance to witness

www.revolvermag.com

Power Trip: "This Is Not a Band for White Males to Enjoy and Be Dumb Rednecks"

Dallas thrash crew is on brink of major crossover success. But don't expect them to stop wearing their progressive politics on their sleeves.

Matsukaze

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, that's awful. :(

I had just recently been getting into Power Trip, too. Dude was taken way too soon.

R.I.P.

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RIP.

Didn't know anything about the band personally, but their music is killer. Hammer of Doubt, my goodness.

Oct 25, 2017
Gigantic loss to the metal scene. Power Trip was the real deal.

My most heartfelt condolences to his family and friends—I can't even imagine.

Keep forever rocking in the void, man \m/

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nightmare Logic was one of my favourite metal albums from the 2010s (in fact, one of the only ones I listened to), this is very sudden to me. I didn't know he was sick.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
Oh man. Tragic.

I love Power Trip. They definitely felt the most "blue collar" of the new wave of thrash band. So sad.

Always loved this video edit.

Fletcher

Oct 25, 2017
God damn. Such a bummer. Such a good band. Talked to him a few times at shows. Such a good dude. Damn.

Pepito

Dec 11, 2017
They ruled from their first fuckin EPs. Will be listening to them for a long time.

RIP.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
Damn, that fucking sucks to hear. I got really into thrash/crossover for a bit last summer and definitely had some good times bumping Nightmare Logic while I cruised down the highway. Was hoping to see them live the next chance that arose.

RIP Riley

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
Devastating loss for the community. Riley did not tolerate the bullshit that sits too often in plain sight within metal and hardcore communities. A tremendous ally.

airbagged_

Jan 21, 2019
Charleston, SC
Riley was a friend and when I heard this, I was in utter disbelief. I still can't fucking believe it. My entire twitter timeline is just friends, mutuals and others sharing stories, pictures and condolences. The guy was one of a kind and a genuine soul. I'm gonna miss him.

Last edited:

looprider

Oct 27, 2017
Dang this sucks. Was just listening to them today. I was going to go see them Iive earlier this year but didn't make it to the show. Though I'd be able to see them another time. RIP

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
I'm pretty torn up about this. I saw them two years ago. My wife got me a ticket for our anniversary. I wasn't super into them, but I knew they were cool. Their set was amazing, and I read an interview after that and started following Riley on Twitter. He seemed like an amazing dude. We had a couple of conversations about how sick U.S. Girls were, and his politics were super on point. I am going to miss him. I feel so bad for his family & friends. He was too young.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
One of the better live bands in thrash, RIP.

I did not like their albums at all, but this is a loss, dude had "it" and I was looking forward to their new release to hopefully impress me.

Oct 28, 2017
Nightmare Logic was incredible and he was one of the few genuinely good people in the metal scene. This sucks so fucking much.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I have been inconsolable since I read the news. Riley was an amazing person through and through. I mostly can't stand modern metal but PT is perfect modern 80s thrash. The best around right now in my opinion. I'm devastated. I've listened to their first two records thousands of times and was thankfully able to be front and center when they played Brooklyn a couple years ago. I've never been kicked in the head more times at a concert; I loved every second of it.
fU7svQH.jpg

RIP man. You will not be equalled and you'll never be forgotten. I was literally watching you play with cicadas with your dog on IG 20 hours ago. I just can't believe it.

Last edited:

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Damn, this is awful news. Power Trip were one of a small number of modern metal bands that I really respected.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This fucking sucks. I saw them live 2 years ago and they were phenomenal. Nightmare Logic is a great album.

I was supposed to see them in April supporting Lamb of God but covid took that away from me. Devastated this is how things have turned out.

Rest in Peace

Last edited:

firen

Oct 25, 2017
Over the past few years I was able to catch these guys a few times. What an amazing performer. What an amazing person. Really sad.

Really. Fuck 2020.

shotopunx

Nov 21, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
I can't believe this.

Riley was one of the most genuine and kind people in punk and hardcore, and I'm grateful I knew him.

Rest in power Riley, I'll miss talking about dumb comics with you

Woffls

Nov 25, 2017
London
Fuck sake. These guys have been absolutely on it. Not the kind of stuff I normally listen to, but they really grabbed me.

Didn't know anything about Riley himself but it sounds like the dude left a very respectable legacy.

Rest in Power \m/

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Woke up reading this, seen them a few times and Power Trip quickly became one of my favorite 'newer' bands, big part due to Riley's presence. RIP :(

Jan 11, 2019
RIP Riley, Power Trip forever!

If he had to go so early, then I sincerely hope he had an accident after tying hellfire rockets to a jetski and zooming naked into a shark tank with axe in hand, the axe to chop the heads of the ragefueled bellends that he hated. Because that's how it should have been, and how it happened in my mind.