• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you have iPhone, you can also try iCloud Keychain. It's free. Requires Chrome if you use Windows machines:

iCloud User Guide

Use iCloud to keep photos, files, data, and more up to date across your iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple Watch, Apple TV, and Windows PC, and on iCloud.com.
I do have the cloud keychain as well and have started using it for new passwords. The problem is I have 7 years of passwords in LastPass. Is there a way to import to the keychain?

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I find these things unusable in practice compared to Google Password thing. I've tried a few but they never work right.

Anyone had a different experience?

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I've uninstalled Last Pass on all my devices, exported the data, and imported it to BitWarden successfully.

Have set up 2FA and glad there's a AMOLED black mode on Android app.

Lego

Nov 14, 2017
I also moved over to Bitwarden, but it's auto-fill doesn't seem quite as good as LastPass.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
I knew I should have bought 20 years of LastPass for $240 way back in 2014. I still have a couple years left, but after that, we'll see if I stick around. Everything being subscription-based is dumb, one-time payment is so much easier and gives better piece of mind.

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't access iCloud Keychain from a PC unless you install the Chrome extension? I store a lot of logins for work in Lastpass and would need good access from my PC. Also, I would need a way to import said logins into iCloud Keychain from Lastpass.

To be honest, I'm not sure, I use Mac Safari.

empyrean2k

Oct 27, 2017
Does bitwarden auto save passwords after you login etc? Think last time I looked at it it didn't do that?

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
I used to pay for it back then before they made it completely free.

I'll pay for it now again too, worth it.

I'm curious about 1Password though since it does 2 factor stuff.

Zej

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There are some annoyances (e.g. inconsistent vault syncing at times ), but overall, lastpass has been pretty solid and worth paying for (I've used it in enterprise/personal settings).

If iCloud keychain expanded into the family sharing realm, it might be tempting to just use that, but it's nice to not have it tied to a particular OS/device.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
I recently switched from an Android phone to an iPhone. LastPass had been working like dogshit on Android for years, getting increasingly worse.

On iOS, it works near flawlessly for me. Integrates almost seamlessly with Keychain.

Anyways, I'm certainly interested in other options, but I'm still relatively happy with LastPass, even at the $36-per-year price. If we get to the point where Apple really starts adding some of the bells and whistles from the third-party password managers to Keychain, I'd be very tempted to dump them entirely. Seems like they might be heading in that direction, but aren't quite there yet.
That's funny, I switched from iOS to Android and yeah, the Android app runs terribly, sometimes it autofills, sometimes it doesn't; the apps pin code is tiny compared to iOS; it's been a slight hassle dealing with LastPass on Android.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I do have the cloud keychain as well and have started using it for new passwords. The problem is I have 7 years of passwords in LastPass. Is there a way to import to the keychain?
Hm, not sure.

I did google and seem there some hacky solutions.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Like 90% of my usage is on PC, but I do still need it on mobile. I'll probably just end up paying for Premium; it's not that much money and it's been a reliable service for me so far.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hm, not sure.

I did google and seem there some hacky solutions.
Yeah, I found an article on Medium involving using a Firefox ext to import/export but apparently that ext is no longer active. Not sure I want to trust my passwords to a random github file. I'll figure something out. Probably just go with 1Password. A lot of places recommend it for Mac/iOS users so that's nice.

Zhengi

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
just transferred to Bitwarden and as others stated, it's fairly painless.

- Go to Lastpass website, reach the export from the advanced options, copy the text and paste it in bitwarden import tool.
- Go to Lastpass extension, go to tools and export the form fills option, import to bitwarden via the same tool.

Done. The upside as well is this has 2FA free with Google Authenticator for me so I took it. And worst comes to absolute worst if Bitwarden ever reaches a point it forces you to go premium to keep some features, and no free option still exists that is easy to transfer shit, then at least this is $10 a year so half the price of last pass.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
I wish more online services just had a reasonable fee tbh. Tired of data scraping being the primary business model. Makes for useful services being sacrificed for not being lucrative enough for mining user info.

soul

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, but why do you guys use this service anyway?
I only save my passwords in Firefox. Am I missing some fancy feature?

Deleted member 15227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
LogMeIn can go screw themselves. They pull this kind of shit with whatever product they get their dirty hands on. Detest this company.

edit: didn't realise LogMeIn was itself bought out in 2020. My statement still stands,

Last edited:

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
just transferred to Bitwarden and as others stated, it's fairly painless.

- Go to Lastpass website, reach the export from the advanced options, copy the text and paste it in bitwarden import tool.
- Go to Lastpass extension, go to tools and export the form fills option, import to bitwarden via the same tool.

Done. The upside as well is this has 2FA free with Google Authenticator for me so I took it. And worst comes to absolute worst if Bitwarden ever reaches a point it forces you to go premium to keep some features, and no free option still exists that is easy to transfer shit, then at least this is $10 a year so half the price of last pass.
What do you mean about the 2FA? I use it with LastPass too unless you mean something different.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
Same. Do people think software developers work for free?

it's less that—I also like paying for good software when i can—and more that this is an annoying business move that, intentional or not, sort of feels like being hit up for money after the fact. evernote went through the same thing; offered an incredibly generous business model at first, and then reneged and changed things after everyone had already built a workflow around the way the free version worked. it's just kind of a pain in the ass, and regardless of whether is IS one it can feel like a bait and switch. regardless, it's an inconvenience, which is the last thing you want to cause as a service company

Oct 29, 2017
For starters, most password managers generate passwords for you, that are random letters of letters and numbers and symbols. I've just finished switching over to BitWarden at the recommendation of this thread so I'll have BitWarden create one to show what I mean: D*T$uJ@2Rka28R

That kind of password is the most secure type of password as it's incredibly hard to remember, and random enough that password cracking software takes forever to crack it. if we go to https://howsecureismypassword.net/, and punch that in, it will tell us it will take about 200 million years to crack it using existing password cracking technology. Where as "mypassword" will take about 58 minutes.

So you go through and generate a password like that for every site you use. That way, if someone puts a gun to your head asking for your bank password, you genuinely don't know it. That way you can't be socially engineered into giving it up.

Second, these tools will often auto fill on sites it recognizes it has a password for. Lets say I log out of ResetEra. Instead of typing in "PurpleMoustache" and then my password, I click one button and it all fills in. This makes Phishing sites all but useless in an attack since the password manager won't "recognize" the website and won't do that auto fill. Plus it's very convenient.

And third, which is why people are pissed about these changes, these commercalized password managers (LastPass, Dashlane, BitWarden) all have native phone apps that hook into the OS's password system to do all the above natively. Technically the gold standard of password managers is KeePass, but that doesn't have an official app (just third party ones which... doesn't feel like a good idea), and is dramatically more complicated to get up and running in the way that LastPass or Bitwarden or whathaveyou are for the average user.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Maybe I'm a weirdo for saying this (and I'm in here as a 1Password user)...

...I pay for software I use a lot? Especially the software which holds my secure data? Because I want it to continue to be updated and have its security maintained without them needing to do something like sell user data to keep the lights on?
Never understood how the free version of Last Pass worked for them. I left them years ago when they were hacked though and enjoy 1Password since then, too.

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're actually using a password manager because the one built into Firefox is called Lockwise. As long as you're auto generating strong passwords and you're not reusing them you're probably good, better than most people anyway.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
Hope some of the people moving to Bitwarden chip in and pay for good software. I don't think I use any of the paid features but I still throw them $10 a year.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Eh screw it, I got premium. Those devs definitely deserve it, and until now it was an incredible offer for a free version.