• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BuggyMike

Nov 2, 2017
So what happened with the botw and Odyssey updates? The official Nintendo twitter and the trailer said 4/25 specifically.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
I really want a third party to make plastic devices for the VR Labo. That way I don't feel like I need to be so gentle with them.

I think I'm most worried about the blaster, as it's moving parts are more blunt.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
I really want a third party to make plastic devices for the VR Labo. That way I don't feel like I need to be so gentle with them.

I think I'm most worried about the blaster, as it's moving parts are more blunt.

As one who's been playing a ton of it so far (and even burned through a few extra rubberbands for the Blaster), I'm pretty sure you'll tire of the games before the cardboard wears out

Last edited:

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
Not too much. I don't suspect I'll be using the headset enough by itself (without toy-cons) to warrant adding one. But hey, maybe Zelda will convince me otherwise
My thoughts exactly. I wonder if Nintendo can track how many people enable VR mode inside Mario or Zelda, to see if they might implement VR modes in other older games or possibly new games.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want to go pick this up from BestBuy tonight. I have a question, whats the difference between the 80 dollar one and the 40 dollar one? They only have the 40 dollar one.

Link the Hero

Jul 5, 2018
I want to go pick this up from BestBuy tonight. I have a question, whats the difference between the 80 dollar one and the 40 dollar one? They only have the 40 dollar one.
The 40 dollar one only contains the goggles and the blaster toy-con. The 80 dollar one additionally contains the bird, the windpedal, the elephant and the camera. There are two expansion kits, each 20 dollar, that contain the toy-cons that are missing in the 40 dollar package. So you can still buy them later if you buy the 40 dollar package now.

Last edited:

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if Zelda or Mario will take advantage of the new "Boost Mode" added in the latest firmware. Seems like a potential way to improve performance without having to do too much extra work to optimize performance for VR.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I saw people talking about it in a Switch hardware thread.

I don't even think I know enough about it to speculate and I can't find any supporting info with a quick google search, but I think the jist that I saw people talking about is that with a performance mode available to developers that boosts the clockspeed of the system.

Apparently, it's something that was available to Nintendo back in 2017, but may be available to other developers with this 8.0 firmware. Not entirely sure since I can't find more info about it.

one of us

Oct 28, 2017
Wait, they halved the frame rate, not the resolution? Ideal, 15fps. Of course they did.. it's Nintendo.

Colloco

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
florida
So played all the Mario odessey levels, REALLY cool experience, although it's very short, maybe will take you 20-25 min to do everything, I wish there was more VR content for it.

Botw is very cool as well, especially if you have made a strap to hold your tablet, it feels more like a 3D VR experience. Very cool that it's the entire game, def worth checking out.

EDarkness

Oct 25, 2017
Just played Breath of the Wild VR...oh man, that was awesome. It doesn't work like I thought it would work, but you can play the whole game like that. I haven't run around a whole lot, but my wife and I have been passing the game back and forth just checking out locations. Having spent the last 20 minutes playing with this, I don't think it's 15fps, either. Seems like the normal 30fps.

Firing up Mario Odyssey now.

Oct 25, 2017
The Mario content is super shallow and isn't really built to take advantage of VR. It's novel, but immediately forgettable.

EDarkness

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. I wish they would have allowed us to play through the whole game instead of making these little mini-games that aren't really all that interesting. My wife and I were not so impressed by what they showed. They definitely need to add more games....

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I tried BOTW in VR very quicly before going to work, my save was in one of the cities (don't know the English name of the city, the one with the architect and the house you can buy).
There's definitely drops that are not present in 2D handheld, more aliasing too but it looks really good and the depth perception is great.

I wonder what power mode the game uses in VR and if it could go further (dock clocks in VR handheld ?)

Discokuningas

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
I'm not really sure about the drops. Because yes I saw them when playing in vr but when I take Switch off the goggles and play in vr mode with two pictures the game seems fine. It might mostly just be that we are looking at a 30fps game with some drops so close to the screen. Every minor drop is then easily noticeable.

Overall I am surpriced how good it actually works. But this just shows how I am not into vr if there is nothing more than some 3d image and headtracking. There needs to be something unique and interaction with the world. Labo games feels great because of the toycons.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
Overall I am surpriced how good it actually works. But this just shows how I am not into vr if there is nothing more than some 3d image and headtracking. There needs to be something unique and interaction with the world. Labo games feels great because of the toycons.
Dedicated VR does do that with the hand controls. Toycons do seem to be superior in terms of immersion, but they're very single-purpose. Something like the Valve Index controllers would allow you to basically have virtual hands that don't feel as immersive (except for throwing things), but don't need to be changed out depending on what game you want to play.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Ok that was...Underwhelming, damn :(

Feels like it would be way better if the goggles were attached to your face, it's not comfortable playing with the joycons attached to the Switch.

War3333

Oct 27, 2017
BOTW: It wasn't so bad I liked it, too bad for the resolution that undermine some of the vistas, I decided to visit the Castle and defeat Ganon and it worked fine.

Mario Odissey: Terrible, fixed camera was an hindrance all the time, some of the "secrets" also required you to go very far from the camera. It was simply a bad experience. I would have preferred some full levels from 3D Land repurposed for Odissey.

VR Labo itself is quite good, i liked the minigames included.
But in the end I suffer too much of VR-Sickness as with the other Headsets so it will end soon in the drawer to keep company at the PSVR kit, at least 40 is a lot less that 250.

Oct 25, 2017
BOtW looks cool, kind of like a very potent 3D from the 3DS days.
Motion controls are really bad, tho.
If it was just enabled while aiming it would work pretty well, I'd imagine

Odyssey fairs better as an actual VR experience but seems rather short.
Will try some more tonight

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Another thing: Does Odyssey run at native 720p when you play the VR mode without goggles? Looks really crisp, too crisp compared to the main game, would be cool if someone pixel counted this (even if this mode is so restricted anyway)

Emulating Zelda at 4k and using Vive goggles sounds like it would be amazing because the current sub 720p 15-30fps gameplay certainly does make me feel nauseous after a bit of time, fun to play though.

Nov 1, 2017
The blaster is so great. It quickly tires my toothpick-thin arms, though.

Has anyone managed to get coins from this? It's not letting me :(

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
*emerges from a cave after 2,000 years, looking like the Old Man from BotW*

WHAT YEAR IS IT

I just finished the blaster... Well... OK, I just finished... The core of the blaster...

Uh, how long do each of the remaining steps take? More time? Less?

TheGrue

Oct 25, 2017
Am I missing something with BotW? I can't see the whole screen during loads and even really the HUD it's like it's too close.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
So the Switch news feed is giving away a free VR mini game in the labo toy con 04 news section.
I saw it last week on the Japanese feed but it's now appearing in the US one, so keep an eye out for that.

JoshuaJSlone

Dec 27, 2017
Indiana
Oct 28, 2017
For a cheap way to upgrade the Labo VR I got one of these:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/retrak...ooth-controller-black/5449600.p?skuId=5449600

And used both the padding and the head straps for my unit.

24zgj1e.jpg

Last edited:

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finally got it
Funny for 5m but'took me 40m for the headset and it became insanely boring with that slow setup video.
Tried Zelda. It was ok. Expected Worse

Be careful though. It scratched the limit between the bezel and the glass on my switch.

C24-C7-FDC-4-D04-4-CBD-B0-E3-7-FA02-FAD5593.jpg

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
It seems Nintendo are using the New Channel to deliver more minigames to users. A new post just popped up on my Switch which, when used to launch Labo VR, adds a new minigame. Pretty neat, and I hope it's not just a one off.

Lc6UoGY.png

8Caijgp.png

Oct 25, 2017
The lack of sharing of Garage VR is the biggest mistake Nintendo made with this package. It's a crazy huge missed opportunity and it takes away any desire I would have otherwise had to play in the garage.