• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
The defense is getting enough outs on its own. The entire system is designed to protect the Kyle Rittenhouses of the world and give them second chances. The best bet for justice here unfortunately is going to be civil trials where both he and the police can be taken to task for what they did.

No, I meant literally I am unsure how a prosecutor would go about eliciting that information on direct without helping the defense.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
No, but this looks interesting. What's a good episode to try out?

I only ask because their episodes on the bastards who helped hitler to power (but weren't Nazis) goes into detail about how right wing judges behaved EXACTLY like this when Hitler was on trial before he took power. Uncannily similar!

It's a great podcast. I'd honestly just pick one that sounds interesting and go for it. History of concentration camps is interesting purely because of how little it's taught (episode 9). The hitler rise to power one (ep 13) I found disturbing with the modern similarities. Also Paul manafort (15 and 16). It's really all good!

chiller

Apr 23, 2021
I only ask because their episodes on the bastards who helped hitler to power (but weren't Nazis) goes into detail about how right wing judges behaved EXACTLY like this when Hitler was on trial before he took power. Uncannily similar!

It's so unsubtle too, which is maybe the scariest part about the whole thing. They feel no need to obfuscate their actions.
I'm not (usually lmao) a Godwin's law person, but this is about as parallel as you can get in a historical parallel.

It's a great podcast. I'd honestly just pick one that sounds interesting and go for it. History of concentration camps is interesting purely because of how little it's taught (episode 9). The hitler rise to power one (ep 13) I found disturbing with the modern similarities. Also Paul manafort (15 and 16). It's really all good!

I'll check it out, thanks for the rec. Gonna go slowly though, so I don't lose the little hope in humanity I still have left too quickly.

nuffDREW4two

Oct 27, 2017

As a person without a good understanding of the law system it feels disgusting to me, but this defense attorney's explanation helps me understand why it's being done. Use of the word victim could prejudice the jury and it could be argued that they're making an emotional decision rather than one based on the evidence, and if found guilty under the circumstances of hearing victim too often could result in the Defense seeking an appeal and have the guilty verdict tossed. Still shitty that the defense isn't held to quite the same standard.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
When is the generational shift of politicians and the judiciary going to reach critical mass? These old guys in these positions of power keep fucking progress up, its insane.

The judiary under Trump shifted significantly to the right, and that includes young judges and appointees, not just older. The judiary is going to be a right wing leaning branch of government for the majority of our lifetimes unless something happens to radically reshape it in another direction.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017

As a person without a good understanding of the law system it feels disgusting to me, but this defense attorney's explanation helps me understand why it's being done. Use of the word victim could prejudice the jury and it could be argued that they're making an emotional decision rather than one based on the evidence, and if found guilty under the circumstances of hearing victim too often could result in the Defense seeking an appeal and have the guilty verdict tossed. Still shitty that the defense isn't held to quite the same standard.

I heard this same argument for making a watertight case against Manafort. Then when it came time to sentence him, that judge gave him a slap on the wrist

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
It is standard for the prosecution to not be allowed to refer to alleged victims as "victims" during trials.

I wasn't allowed to do that.

Besides, in practice, we'd want to refer to the victims as "Ms. Smith" or "the accused's brother, Mr. Jones" anyway.

Some of the other stuff surrounding the judge seems a little suspect (especially the tweet above me), but this isn't one of them.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
It is standard for the prosecution to not be allowed to refer to alleged victims as "victims" during trials.

I wasn't allowed to do that.

Besides, in practice, we'd want to refer to the victims as "Ms. Smith" or "the accused's brother, Mr. Jones" anyway.

Some of the other stuff surrounding the judge seems a little suspect (especially the tweet above me), but this isn't one of them.
This is normal. During George Floyd's trial they referred to him solely as Mr. Floyd….. the problem here is they are allowing the other extreme of calling them rioters and looters. If this was an impartial judge he would not have allowed any descriptive language for the victims.

Mar 11, 2020
This thread on the judge is a ride.

I haven't read the whole thread yet but i will here, but Is requiring AIDS tests for sex workers bad? I don't see how that is bad at all. I'm pro sex work but I'd say requiring testing is a good thing.

EDIT: Yeah the rest of his shit is bullshit, but i still agree with the AIDs and sti testing and see no probs with that.

Last edited:

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Appeal it until it gets to the supreme court, get HBO to make a documentary, make sure this fucker has 0 prospects and pays for his crimes.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
I haven't read the whole thread yet but i will here, but Is requiring AIDS tests for sex workers bad? I don't see how that is bad at all. I'm pro sex work but I'd say requiring testing is a good thing.

EDIT: Yeah the rest of his shit is bullshit, but i still agree with the AIDs and sti testing and see no probs with that.

Not necessarily, but according to the relevant article the ACLU were concerned a positive AIDS test would influence the judge's decision.

Briar36

Nov 27, 2017
Manhattan
This is normal. During George Floyd's trial they referred to him solely as Mr. Floyd….. the problem here is they are allowing the other extreme of calling them rioters and looters. If this was an impartial judge he would not have allowed any descriptive language for the victims.

He actually said they can use it in closing (not throughout the trial) if there was evidence admitted during trial of their criminal acts.

From WaPo: "Schroeder said that while he advised Rittenhouse's team against using pejorative terms to describe the three men shot, such language could be used in their closing arguments if evidence shows the men participated in criminal acts."

It's easy to get hyped up about this stuff, especially with headlines like these that are somewhat misleading.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
What's the point of having the trial with this judge? He's already showing his bias. Here, wild prediction, this judge will let the killer walk

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Judge is a literal chud who's going to let this guy walk

pantsattack

Oct 25, 2017

"Rittenhouse's white lawyer just dropped the hard r twice in a row, in a court of law."

"I want to be really clear here, the person he was quoting, from a video, did not actually use the hard r. This is a stylistic choice made by this murderer's defense lawyer."

Oct 27, 2017
According to one of the videos shown before the break where you see the murderer on the ground, the third victim didn't even touch Kyle. He was running by him, kind of stuck is arm out and got shot point blank. Fuck this "either side" BS.

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
By this logic, someone in the crowd could've shot Rittenhouse, and it'd be justified.

Darkgran

Oct 27, 2017
Yea he wasn't, but he obviously felt threatened to use it. He was being chased by multiple people before he fired

Maybe if this murderer would have just stayed the fuck home then he wouldn't have felt threatened???

Also here is another tweet from JACK. Yep no bias here....

Mod Edit: Removed alt-right source

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Victim blaming, previous severe infractions
Maybe if this murderer would have just stayed the fuck home then he wouldn't have felt threatened???

Also here is another tweet from JACK. Yep no bias here....

Mod Edit: Removed alt-right source
There were people with guns out there besides him.

Obviously if no one wanted to get shot or threatened, people should've stayed home.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
"Felt threatened"? Do we have the very drafter of the stand-your-ground laws in this thread with us?

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There were people with guns out there besides him.

Obviously if no one wanted to get shot or threatened, people should've stayed home.
This is some real victim blaming bullshit.
You're literally telling the people who protested for BLM that they knew they'd get shot if they went outside and if they didn't want to get hurt they should have not protested.

Oct 27, 2017
I know when I feel threatened I cross state lines and illegally arm myself as a minor and practice self-defense to shoot unarmed people that I'm antagonizing. 🙄

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This video doesn't paint either side in a good might.Mod Edit: Removed alt-right source
This has been known since last year and no it doesn't help Rittenhouse. Yes some people were messing with him but they were messing with him because he was a LARPer armed to the teeth who was only their to stir shit up and play soldier. His actions clearly did not constitute self defense and he created the dangerous situation himself by illegally carrying a loaded weapon on the streets during a protest.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
So what if he got chased or got into a fight. Doesn't mean he was free to murder three people in cold blood.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
Yea he wasn't, but he obviously felt threatened to use it. He was being chased by multiple people before he fired

Fuck outta here with this both sides bullshit. You normally also cannot claim self defense during the commission of a crime, which he was actively committing while brandishing an illegal firearm.