• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Did a Joy-Con Drift for you?

• Yes

Votes: 1,036 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 517 33.3%

• Total voters

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Out of my three Joy Cons, I only had to send back one pair. Faulty left and then right Joy Con. My right one acted up again, but I bought the spray recommended here and the issue was gone. Except in Trails of Mana for some reason, works fine in my other games.

The other Joy Cons worked fine and got them at launch. I honestly had more issues with GameCube controllers.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I haven't personally experienced Joy-Con drift myself yet but I have zero reason to deny that it is a problem. I hope Nintendo is working up a solution. I wouldn't expect it to be addressed with the initial waves of Switch Lite, there's been no really strong acknowledgement from Nintendo and no explicit mention of more durable parts in the Lite's construction, outside of speculated durability boons from its different construction.

Zeroro

Oct 27, 2017
More big publications need to be pushing Nintendo on this issue. It's fucked how widespread of a problem it is, especially when they're the most expensive console controller on the market.

Sojiro

Jun 24, 2018
Yeah, my right Gray Joycon that came with the Switch has been drifting to the bottom starting last month, I take damn good care of my stuff so I know it is not because of abuse. My switch is long out of warranty, so I had to purchase a replacement joystick and change it out myself. This seems to be a big problem that is only going to get worse as more and more people seem to start experiencing these issues.

Oct 28, 2017
The poll sums it up nicely. It's a joke. I had to get a replacement right joycon. Now my left has the issue. Even worse build quality than the DS4.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Yeah, my right Gray Joycon that came with the Switch has been drifting to the bottom starting last month, I take damn good care of my stuff so I know it is not because of abuse. My switch is long out of warranty, so I had to purchase a replacement joystick and change it out myself. This seems to be a big problem that is only going to get worse as more and more people seem to start experiencing these issues.

You probably could have fixed it yourself with the spray recommended here.

Lethologica

Oct 27, 2017
Voted yes since, while I do not own a Switch personally, I had the issue happen to me a few times while trying out BoTW for around 45 minutes on a family members. I can see how that would be problematic for regular users. Kind of can't believe Nintendo still hasn't fixed the issue after 2 1/2 years.

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
If Nintendo won't fix something that could arguably be called a failure in workmanship, then they're opening themselves up to litigation.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Kotaku back at it again.

4c5.jpg

We have realized this for months if not for over a year.

This is a real problem and it has happened to me, thankfully it is mitigated by how simple and cheap it is to replace the joysticks if you have ever opened/serviced any electronic device.

But Nintendo needs to fix it. Hopefully by the time the updated Switch releases at the latest. For the Lite I am confident that the built-in controls will be designed with a different robustness in mind.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It's one of the reasons why I haven't used my Switch in +5 months and will probably end up selling it, no one sells a joycon here and I'm not ordering a delivery from Amazon where it'll cost even more.

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No I've seen videos that show that it's basically bound to wear down with repeated use. But you're not really looking for a discussion. You're just looking to defend your favorite company.

Mashy

Oct 28, 2017
Will try to fix it with what's been said but it is a ridiculous issue. Barely use it because I use my Pro controller, but somehow I got the issue.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I always thought this was a connection problem. Have had issues with this a handful of times, but it typically went away when I restarted the software, and it's an occasional issue I've had with every wireless controller. Hasn't happened to me recently, at least.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
No I've seen videos that show that it's basically bound to wear down with repeated use. But you're not really looking for a discussion. You're just looking to defend your favorite company.
Who is this in response to? I think virtually everyone in here acknowledges that Nintendo is responsible for this. Also the first part of your post write what it seems to be a "it just happens with normal use" defense like most controllers but the second seems to be calling Nintendo out. Genuine question I'm not trying to be a jerk I just don't quite understand your post

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I have literally never used my joycons because I only play docked with a pro controller. But everyone I know who has a Switch has had some kind of drift issue so I'm sure mine do it too, or would if I ever used them enough to cause wear and tear. Not too impressive considering what they cost.

Morgan Park

Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 3, 2018
The worse problem for me is general Joy-Con connectivity. I can't put anything between me and the Switch or the connection totally drops. Bought a Pro Controller just to bypass this.

Sojiro

Jun 24, 2018
You probably could have fixed it yourself with the spray recommended here.

Yeah maybe so, I didn't seen the spray as a solution in another thread about this issue, and wished I had tried it first. It was either replace the stick yourself, or send it to Nintendo, at least as far as I remember from the other thread.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
The quality and feature set that Nintendo offers in their controllers, vs the price they charge, is abysmal. The fact that they haven't fixed this or the d-pad issue on the Pro controller is embarrassing.

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Who is this in response to? I think virtually everyone in here acknowledges that Nintendo is responsible for this. Also the first part of your post write what it seems to be a "it just happens with normal use" defense like most controllers but the second seems to be calling Nintendo out. Genuine question I'm not trying to be a jerk I just don't quite understand your post
It was in response to a guy who was trying to blame user error. Thought I had him quoted but missed it on mobile. It's got a poor build quality .

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I have had no issues with launch system Joy-cons until the past few weeks. The right stick has started to drift. I thought I was pretty lucky, but 28 months was as long as the streak could go.

Hope they fix it for the Switch Lite people. That would be a bummer to deal with.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't this a problem with almost all analog sticks?

My PS4 controllers tend to drift within 6 months. I buy between 2 and 3 Dual Shock 4's every year.

XBOX Controllers are better, but not by much.

No, man. What are you doing to your controllers? I've only ever had one DS4 issue and it was a build problem where hitting L2 would trigger as moving the analog stick up.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Never had this issue. But I play mostly docked or with a pro controller all the time so my sticks don't suffer much

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Class action lawsuit on the horizon?

Isn't this a problem with almost all analog sticks?

My PS4 controllers tend to drift within 6 months. I buy between 2 and 3 Dual Shock 4's every year.

XBOX Controllers are better, but not by much.

Ironic that the only controller I had drift issues with was the another Nintendo console - the N64.

ronpontelle

Oct 27, 2017
Its started happening once in a while on my left stick, it moves up very, very slightly, but when I centre it again it's fine. I noticed it most on Celeste, I think it was, when I had to be really accurate with my platforming.

I've got a spare kicking around from when I had another problem with it after a few months, and Amazon refunded me the price of a new joycon, so I bought another and sent it off to Nintendo. Can't recall if that was the left or right joycon though, I should dig it out!

It's not good, considering their price, but I had it worse on three 360 controllers back in the day, after a similar amount of time (two years or so). Was probably playing a lot more FPS games then, when pushing up/forward is almost a constant!

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
My joycons are currently fine, but. This is the exact reason I won't be getting a Switch Lite. If they haven't sourced a new analogue part, I think we are going to be seeing a lot more uproar from people whose sticks start to drift and now they can't even just go an buy a new joycon.

Nov 8, 2017
I'm still using launch joycons and have no drift. I'm usually pretty gentle with the sticks. All of my anger comes out in the form of obscenities.

Oct 27, 2017
I have 7 sets of joycons + the Hori dpad thing and have never experienced this issue, which is crazy considering how widespread it seems to be. Is it more likely with heavy use? Maybe it's because I spread my play time out pretty evenly among my controllers.

Oct 25, 2017
Whenever a "Joy-Con drift" thread pops up on era, I feel the need to vent about how much I hate these controllers. The drifting is so bad that my Switch is damn near unplayable now. The only solution is to replace the controller or at least the analog stick, but only for it to start drifting again months later? Fuck that. I'm going to have to buy a Pro controller at some point, but it's not cheap or ideal for portable play. I remember there were issues with the D-Pad on the Pro controller too.

The quality control for the Switch is pathetic, really disappointed in Nintendo. They have to fix this for the Switch Lite, or they will have a nightmare on their hands.

S I C K O

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Shit I didn't even know this was a thing.

Makes me weary on the lite version. The new revision should hopefully do something about it.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
I don't need to worry about it damaging anything?

Is it all okay to spray?

Thanks!
You need an electrical contact cleaner that is safe for consumer electronics. WD40 makes one, which is what people are talking about when they say that.

Make sure you read whichever one you're looking at and check that it is in fact safe for the console. I found one locally that actually specifically said that it wasn't for personal electronics and was instead for automotive use, which I did not expect. I had to order a can online.

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They will fix it for Switch Lite, right? D: also, does the Hori dpad joycon has this problem? I'm thinking of getting one since I mostly play hh and don't use the motion controllers.

Oct 25, 2017
Breakdown of a joycon analog stick, courtesy of u/rainbopython from Reddit

Its a design issue, its basically unavoidable and will happen sooner or later depending on your usage. Luckily you can snag a set of analog replacements (2 analogs per set) through sites like AliExpress for roughly 10 USD.

But for the price joycons are going for in retail, this is really unacceptable.
Wow this looks bad. The actual physical wear on those pads makes me think this issue will only get worse.

The Lite better have a solution for this...

Vj27

Feb 10, 2019
Yeah it's started happening a little on my launch Switch.

Just using a Wii U Pro Controller most of the time now.
I never thought of buying a Wii U pro controller, hell I didn't even know that worked with the switch. Damn I'm hoping I didn't sell that with my Wii U way back because using this cheap $20 switch controller isn't cutting it atm 😭.
Edit: WHAT, THERE ONLY $20!!! Do they work fine with the switch?? I remember looooving playing wind waker hd and zombi u with that controller, was so great. This is definitely going to be my Joycon replacement then, if they work great I'm gonna go out an buy like 3.

Sitrus

Oct 31, 2017
I'm using contact cleaner for electronics as a temporary measure for now, but I'm prepared to replace the left analog stick when the cleaner stops working. I've never seen such fragile sticks in any handheld ever and I've had all of the major ones including the Vita, which features the same-ish sticks and the 3DS which I had to replace the sticks once because the plastic got worn out.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I pretty much stopped playing on my Switch with my GF because of this. It made Mario Kart unplayable for one of us... I don't feel like dropping £60 to fix a manufacture defect.

Noctilum

Nov 28, 2017
My launch Switch drifts all the time but canned air fixes it. My son has a Switch that he got a year after launch and no amount of canned air fixes it. Luckily he can use my joy-con because I only use the pro controller. No joy, all con.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
I bought my girlfriend a Switch and Zelda in November. She gets a ton of drift (with the left stick) now that ruins gameplay moments. It's really bad that a controller can go to shit in 8 months and not even with a ton of use.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
All four of my joycons are straight trashed.

I've resorted to playing handheld with kickstand plus pro controller.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
my left joy-con after 3 months of use:
vHNGbwv.gif

bought 2 new Pro Controllers because of this. If same issue will still appear - then I'm done with Nintendo peripherals, I'll better switch to Hori or another company.
Ok if this is the issue I have never experienced it. My issue is with connection from more than a couple of feet away from the switch. I guess i'm good then, sorta