• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Konami has just posted their Q3 Earnings Release for the fiscal year ending March 2021.

Link: https://www.konami.com/ir/en/ir-data/statements/2021/en0204_3w7nfy.pdf

As for computer and video games, Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo teiban was released and its cumulative production shipments for the nine months ended December 31, 2020 had a good start to reach over one and a half million units. Furthermore, the shipments have reached over two and a half million units as of January 2021.

The last milestone which was 2M units was reported on January 7th 2021.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Its now their best selling game ever in Japan, right?

Holy shit what a hit.

ZeroDS

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
It's a fun game but the fact that you can't have more than one person on one switch for online modes is a real dumb fuck move

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Remember when people say Konami is dead or something but they are more successful than most in Japan

Deleted member 15360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Trolling Kojima is the lamest thing you can do.

Don't see the point of that gif in the thread.

On Topic

Well Deserved ! Momotari Sales are Fantastic

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Since i did not know what the hell this was, and im glued to gaming news and podcasts heres a preview.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
lmao of course Konami fell out with the original creator
game looks great though, I used to play a western ripoff of this

brutaka3

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo ended up convincing him to come back, he was the game designer on the Switch game. Also, there's a very similar game by some of the other original creators called Billion Road and it released in English on Switch and PC.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo ended up convincing him to come back, he was the game designer on the Switch game. Also, there's a very similar game by some of the other original creators called Billion Road and it released in English on Switch and PC.
yup, I'm currently eyeing a fan remake (The MoneyMakers Rallye, it's also on Steam) of an older German take (Die Total VerrĂĽckte Rallye) as well.

Oct 25, 2017
The creator Akira Sakuma came back as general manager and designer for the title, but the original illustrator Takayuki Doi was not brought back, because he went to work for Bandai Namco to make the designs for Billion Road.

Edit: Damn it.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
One of the most noteworthy success stories I've seen lately and very few sites are reporting on it. It's interesting, even if it's Japan only. With Bomberman at launch and now Momotaro, Konami has been making bank on the Switch.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Massive success for what looks very much like a budget title.
That is an enormous number for Japan only. Especially as a third party game on Nintendo hardware.
Where does this rank among the best selling third party games on Nintendo hardware in Japan?
Not counting DQ or Monster Hunter of course

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing sales like this really has to be turning Japanese third party developer heads.

But yes this is a huge milestone for third party Japanese game.

TheSentry42

Nov 2, 2017
I'm still confused what this game plays like?

Mario Party? Sim City? Sid Meier's Civilization? All the above?

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Hopefully the success of the game leads to a localization. I'd love to try this out.

It's a game heavily relying on japanese geography and landmarks on top of japanese humour.
It's doable but part of the appeal is really about "discovering" the country and for a non japanese well... less fun to be have I Imagine, a real complete localization would be to switch the settings for every continent basically

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Hopefully the success of the game leads to a localization. I'd love to try this out.
if not that billions road game looks nearly identical lol.

crazy that nintendo brought the OG creator and now its selling this much, like nintendo just knows what'll be a hit in japan, I give all the credit to nintendo and none to konami.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Momotetsu Switch has become the best selling Konami/Hudson game ever in Japan.
Previous record holder was Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters 4 for GB at 2.18M.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
It's a game heavily relying on japanese geography and landmarks on top of japanese humour.
It's doable but part of the appeal is really about "discovering" the country and for a non japanese well... less fun to be have I Imagine, a real complete localization would be to switch the settings for every continent basically
People are fond of Japanese culture abroad. They might tweak the humor but I feel like its setting would still be attractive.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
People are fond of Japanese culture abroad. They might tweak the humor but I feel like its setting would still be attractive.

The game isn't really appealing visually, it's also targetting a family audience while displaying japanese towns and district names, there's a clear dissonance as no western family will be interested due to being completely uninterested in japanese geography while people being interested about Japan/Japanese geography aren't part of the family audience said game is targeting.

I'm all for it being localized but it's obvious why it could be struggling to find its audience outside Japan

Last edited:

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
bUt ThEY dOnT mAkE gAmEs AnYmOrE

even though games were always were they made the most money

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
This level of success just came outta nowhere. And still don't think I've seen even a single screen of this game

mntorankusu

Nov 13, 2017
It's the first time since the Wii that the series has been playable on a home console, so it's not a big surprise that people were interested. Everyone I've talked to about this game said they always used to play it with their family, which is a lot easier when it's local multiplayer on the TV, and the last one that wasn't handheld-only was on the Wii.

CloudCircus

Dec 9, 2017
I've played this series off and on with friends since the Ps1 days. It's so much fun. They should really localize it

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
That racial caricature, though.

Japan is still not over that shit?

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
I'm still confused what this game plays like?

Mario Party? Sim City? Sid Meier's Civilization? All the above?
So I've played Billion Road, which is very similar to this.

You roll a dice and land on various squares. When you land on certain squares, you can invest in and buy businesses, depending on your cash level. These kinda randomly go up and down. There's no mini games like Mario Party (in Billion Road there's a few really simple ones that basically involve picking an option out of three and something happening to you at random as a result). It's very, very casual and random in a way I found impossible to understand. I found it really, really, really dull.

Homura

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Aug 20, 2019
So I've played Billion Road, which is very similar to this.

You roll a dice and land on various squares. When you land on certain squares, you can invest in and buy businesses, depending on your cash level. These kinda randomly go up and down. There's no mini games like Mario Party (in Billion Road there's a few really simple ones that basically involve picking an option out of three and something happening to you at random as a result). It's very, very casual and random in a way I found impossible to understand. I found it really, really, really dull.
So it's Monopoly, Japanese edition

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Also worth noting from that report in the OP, over 75% of Konami's revenue in 2020 came from their digital entertainment division. They specifically mention their sports games, Yu-Gi-Oh, their retro compilations, and this game. People like to make fun of Konami for doing pachinko stuff but that division is actually their smallest division (after videogames, their second biggest source of revenue is fitness gyms & sports equipment).