• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's real, I took the pic myself at the pop-up gallery last Friday. You can read about the event here:

What that blog doesn't tell you is that after your reservation gets read and you get past that nice lit hall with the Ludens statue, the very first thing you see is a showcase of Kojima's conference passes and Death Stranding's pre-release awards:
tt8uh7b.jpg

TwRRiBl.jpg

Not only that, but the gallery's walls were plastered with Kojima quotes.
Ir6OLmQ.jpg

fuFNpDX.jpg

1euOjRK.jpg

But what really struck me is that despite the event being a gallery, NOTHING was labeled except for the selfie wall.
So I had no idea who made any of this gorgeous concept art.

KvMZ0nK.jpg
tenor.gif

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Giant Bomb's review was actually about how the reviewer enjoyed the traversal gameplay most of all and thought the shooting/combat was bad and out of place, as well as thinking that the writing was terrible.

Still gave it a 4/10, if you listened to that review most would steer clear of the game.

I haven't even played it yet but i'm surprised how many people who were wary are ended up loving it.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
I can't wait for Kojima to start making movies and get utterly eviscerated by actual professional film critics that don't have the low standards for story and dialogue that games media does. The shock will be real.
Careful, you'll summon the "writing in games is as robust as books, films, and television" crowd with that talk.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Giant Bomb's review was actually about how the reviewer enjoyed the traversal gameplay most of all and thought the shooting/combat was bad and out of place, as well as thinking that the writing was terrible.

That's where I'm at but the traversal is so good that it kind of blocks out the horrible story and writing and combat

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
I find this generalization of American reviewer tastes absurd. I also find it odd he's saying this, given that it still reviewed well. It rubs me the wrong way to dismiss criticism in the way this quote suggests.

However, I do have to ask: is this an English translation of an Italian translation of a Japanese response to an Italian question? Using Google Translate, I got similar results to what wccftech wrote, but I'm wondering if anyone else has verified the English-to-Italian translation.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I don't want to shit on him because he's undeniably talented even though I'm no fan, but the more he opens his mouth and the more he of a prick he seems. Why can't he just accept that his game is probably flawed, and while some people may still love it, there's gonna be a substantial minority who are just not going to be into it?

ket

Jul 27, 2018
He's right in a more general sense. This didn't connect with the average casual gamer because it's not a shooter or open world fantasy game. Delivering boxes isnt going to sound appealing to a lot of people on paper.

Known open world fantasy & FPS games such as NBA 2K20 and Madden 20

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Posting this again because this thread is moving too fast and I was hoping for someone who is a bigger fan of his work than I am could answer.

Honest question: when did Kojima start being framed as high art? Whether by himself or other people. At the start of his career he was obsessed with popcorny American action movies and blatantly ripped from them.

mg2ss_avatarsg1j9a.jpg

7e10c038ac8395c2360e6qkjwi.jpg

Obviously, he still loves Hollywood and film. But it's presented very differently now than it was back then. When'd that change?

Oct 28, 2017
Quotes like this and the "you will regret your words and deeds" but re: Quiet and her...choice, of clothing.

I like dude's games. But he needs to know when to keep his thoughts to himself and not be so thin skinned.

Some of the most universally acclaimed games, US included, from the last 90 days on Metacritic (not that it's a perfect rubric) are Monster Hunter World's expansion, Dragon Quest 11 S, Frostpunk, and Disco Elysium. But yes, please. Let's generalize and say the reason some outfits didn't like your almost intentionally divisive game is because "US gamers wish it was a shooter". Shaking my damn head.

Deleted member 20630

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Funny you say that as they sent DS to some film critics to review as well and from what I've seen they loved it

You said they, but linked to one article which mainly seems enamored with how it blurs the line between game and movie, and how novel that is. It also admits that all the criticisms that were true of his past games are still true of DS. To be fair, the impression overall is that the reviewer was impressed, but the whole thing was more framed around the blurring of the lines.

Definitely not saying I don't believe you, but do you have any other examples? I'd actually love to read more because the idea of the crossover appeal this has is pretty interesting.

On topic: I haven't kept up with how this game was reviewed outside of seeing a handful of outlets giving it a 3/5. So I had to check Metacritic because I thought this was getting polarizing reviews, or being torn apart. It's sitting at an 83. He's getting up his own ass and saying detractors just didn't understand his work....over an 83, which means that was overwhelmingly positively received by reviewers? People are mad because it "only" averaged an 83? Reminds me of the MGS4 gametrailers review, except I don't recall Kojima stoking that particular fire himself.

Xumbrega

Oct 25, 2017
Brasil
It's real, I took the pic myself at the pop-up gallery last Friday. You can read about the event here:

What that blog doesn't tell you is that after your reservation gets read and you get past that nice lit hall with the Ludens statue, the very first thing you see is a showcase of Kojima's conference passes and Death Stranding's pre-release awards:
tt8uh7b.jpg

TwRRiBl.jpg

Not only that, but the gallery's walls were plastered with Kojima quotes.
Ir6OLmQ.jpg

fuFNpDX.jpg

1euOjRK.jpg

But what really struck me is that despite the event being a gallery, NOTHING was labeled except for the selfie wall.
So I had no idea who made any of this gorgeous concept art.

KvMZ0nK.jpg

Holy shit lmao

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
So you were agreeing with something that was wrong?

I am agreeing about his remark in regard to European art critics being, on average, more open and, in a sense, more welcoming of stranger products than their American counterparts. I am not sure, however, that DS has any actual merits as I would have to try it for myself.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
If there's one thing that I legitimately find upsetting in a gallery, it's when a project lead presents themselves centrally, and includes tons of work from other team-members without attribution. To me, that's parasitic, even if the lead truly is a focal-point for the project. If someone is even willing to see their name presented as a catch-all to a massive team's body of work, I think that's worth an eyebrow raise.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Posting this again because this thread is moving too fast and I was hoping for someone who is a b

Honest question: when did Kojima start being framed as high art? Whether by himself or other people. At the start of his career he was obsessed with popcorny American action movies and blatantly ripped from them.

mg2ss_avatarsg1j9a.jpg

Mostly the people that hate him try to frame him as this high art, avant-garde genius.

People that like him just think he's made some fucking excellent game with great characters which meant a lot to them.

Also Kojima makes no bones about how he is inspired by movies, he even calls Snake Plissken in MGS2 lol.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I can see how people would find death stranding boring...

But personally, I find walking through the environment and planning routes quite enjoyable. The moment to moment gameplay is a series of interesting decisions. Im 30 hours in and can't stop playing it.

Im having a lot more fun with it over kh3 which i was playing just before it.

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fact he thinks his work in DS is above shooters as a genre is astonishing, wrap that up as a condescending slight about US industry's habits just reflects poorly on him. The hubris is off the charts. Creating bombs from excrement and finely stiched cutscenes of Norman vacating his bowels is too high minded for the rabble, thanks Kojima.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Posting this again because this thread is moving too fast and I was hoping for someone who is a bigger fan of his work than I am could answer.

mg2ss_avatarsg1j9a.jpg

Obviously, he still loves Hollywood and film. But it's presented very differently now than it was back then. When'd that change?
My guess is that back then stories that were told in games were still really rudimentary. Then he comes along with campy as fuck stories and characters, adds a shitton of convoluted nonsense that some people see as "deep" storytelling, and suddenly he's a genius and gaming's messiah. Something like that.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
You said they, but linked to one article which mainly seems enamored with how it blurs the line between game and movie, and how novel that is. It also admits that all the criticisms that were true of his past games are still true of DS. To be fair, the impression overall is that the reviewer was impressed, but the whole thing was more framed around the blurring of the lines.

Definitely not saying I don't believe you, but do you have any other examples? I'd actually love to read more because the idea of the crossover appeal this has is pretty interesting.

On topic: I haven't kept up with how this game was reviewed outside of seeing a handful of outlets giving it a 3/5. So I had to check Metacritic because I thought this was getting polarizing reviews, or being torn apart. It's sitting at an 83. He's getting up his own ass and saying detractors just didn't understand his work....over an 83, which means that was overwhelmingly positively received by reviewers? People are mad because it "only" averaged an 83? Reminds me of the MGS4 gametrailers review, except I don't recall Kojima stoking that particular fire himself.
Here's one where George Miller said he sees the skills of great filmmakers in Kojima.

Edit: well he's not a critic but still a highly respected person in the industry. It goes without saying that Del Toro is on board with him too.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Mostly the people that hate him try to frame him as this high art, avant-garde genius.

People that like him just think he's made some fucking excellent game with great characters which meant a lot to them.

Also Kojima makes no bones about how he is inspired by movies, he even calls Snake Plissken in MGS2 lol.
Absolute nonsense, sorry. Not once have I seen someone anyone who dislikes him praise him as a high art, avant garde genius.

Deleted member 20630

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He has a pretty decent sense of direction and cinematography. The writing, especially character writing, is his Achilles heel.

Actually, y'know what? You're absolutely right. He does have a decent sense of cinematography, so maybe film critics wouldn't savage his work quite as hard as I'd expect. I still don't think he'd fair nearly as well with film critics as game critics given they tend to use the 10-point scale much more liberally and work through a harsher critical lens in general, but I'm probably wrong to think a Kojima movie would be getting 3s and 4s based purely off his writing. Maybe 5-6s on average?

Either way, if a metacritic average of 83 gets this reaction from him, he'd go nuclear over an average between 50 and 60.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
If i had to guess it was probobaly the IGN review that got to him.

MGS 9.8/10
MGS2 9.7/10
MGS3 9.8/10
MGS4 10/10
MGS PW 9.5/10
MGSV 10/10
DS 6.8/10
I wouldn't know... but I would've guessed it's the Giant Bomb review that probably hurt more, since Dan Ryckert's from there (sorta), seemed to always been a huge Kojima fan and he went to the event and got a selfie and everything (apparently from a pic in the thread? I don't know if that was from something else). He didn't write the review, but the first thing during the Beastcast where they talk about the game, and it really sounded like he couldn't wait to blurt it out, was "Well, the game fucking sucks."
Australians didn't like it because not enough knoifes
This was a silly post, but it made me chuckle.
KvMZ0nK.jpg
Wow, also... I hope there will be some kind of art book for the game because I think it looks gorgeous and that concept art looks like something I'd want to see more of (edit: Oh apparently there will be one set to release right after the New Year).

Oct 27, 2017

mg2ss_avatarsg1j9a.jpg

This is absolutely true. Kojima should be paying John Carpenter royalties lol.

The way that gamers constantly put him on a pedestal as some kind of brilliant auteur is hilarious. Some of these people see the entry level examination of postmodernism in MGS2 and they think he's a genius.

And I actually really like MGS1-3 overall.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Dope! Thanks. Will read it in a bit.
As seen in my edit I know I said in my original post film critics and he's not, but still a respected person in the industry.

I'm not trying to say I disagree with flaws that Kojima has in his writing, but the "he'd get annihilated by film critics" posts seem a bit much when you have people who are highly respected in that industry praising lots of aspects of his work.

I also don't want him to make films either as we lose his unique approach to gameplay lol

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This is not true. I've never seen another fanbase call a developer an auteur or genius more than Kojima fans.

Wow, also... I hope there will be some kind of art book for the game because I think it looks gorgeous and that concept art looks like something I'd want to see more of.

An Hideo Kojima artbook.

Written by Hideo Kojima.

Printed by Hideo Kojima.

With art Directed by Hideo Kojima to be drawn by Hideo Kojima and Published by Hideo Kojima.

...Hideo Kojima.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't expect him to be insecure over something like this lol

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is not true. I've never seen another fanbase call a developer an auteur or genius more than Kojima fans.

I mean the only other name in cinematic storytelling that has such control over all aspects of his work is David Cage, and no many are calling him a genius either.

There just aren't many directors out there doing what he does in gaming. I think he's had a lot of genius moments in his games, but he's not infallible or perfect.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
But what really struck me is that despite the event being a gallery, NOTHING was labeled except for the selfie wall. So I had no idea who made any of this gorgeous concept art.

KvMZ0nK.jpg

I had to dig to find but it's probably Yoji Shinkawa for the artwork. Not surprised there's no name claim.

giphy.gif