• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
You know i was never into Hololive but it's so fucked up the situation and i wish her the best, the most infuriating part is that all of this was because she read her statistics on youtube, like it wasn't even a "taiwan is a country" or "china sucks" comment just literally reading what was on the screen about the people watching her

Last edited:

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Oh trust me, I'm railing against them every day.
I'm not doing it here on this forum, because it's a thin line between calling the CCP shit, and calling China shit.

I'm just feeling kinda powerless in face of all this shit.
Like, we never had any power to avert this outcome.

It's just shit overall.
Just call the CCP shit. Right here, right now. Do it. I dare you.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
Coco and Korone were my first foray down the rabbit hole that is vtubing. Well before HoloEN.

Isn't she also low-key the reason why HoloLive stopped trying to be an idol company and switched to general entertainment?

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
(btw, this is what Cover would have me "graduate" for. And it's like 10 times more direct than what Coco and Haachama did.)
You just can't help yourself, can you?

It's pointless to try to get anything across to you, because you are bizarrely convinced that Cover are the bad guys here despite everything they've done behind the scenes to address the situation and help their talent.

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

It's pointless to try to get anything across to you, because you are bizarrely convinced that Cover are the bad guys here despite everything they've done behind the scenes to address the situation and help their talent.

No, I'm not convinced Cover are the bad guys.
The "bad guys" are the spammers, be they CCP drones or Unicorns, or just other haters.

I only think Cover could have done a better job at ACTIVELY standing before their talent.
They didn't. They hid BEHIND their talent.
That doesn't only go for Coco.

BUT, thinking they should have done anything, apparently makes me a troll, only to hate on Cover.
I accept that, and will refrain from ever commenting on the corporation again here.

YasuYone

Feb 17, 2021
Yeah. Her and Haachama were both just reading analytics on their streams to see where their viewers are from and since YT lists Taiwan when they read that out it set off a massive shit storm on the CN side. Ended up causing HoloCN to be shut down and for what ever reason those little shits just kept bothering Coco and anyone who got in contact with her.
That is just sooo sad. Hopefully Karma comes back to those that spreads hatred to others.

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Dumb question, but's what's a "unicorn" in this context? A spammer?

Oh, that's her? Didn't expect her to show her face like that.
Wishing all the best.

A "Unicorn" is basically a guy who thinks his idol can't be "stained" by another male.
Any asociation with a male member of the human species will do.

They're sick, and unfortunately these streamers are linked to them by their branding.
It's a fucked culture, but none seems to care, as long as there are cute faces on the screen.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It wol be better to leave speculation without much Intel to 4chan.

It would be wise to put the blame on the primary platform as well, YouTube, for not having the tools to deal with this, for so long.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
The "bad guys" are the spammers, be they CCP drones or Unicorns, or just other haters.

I only think Cover could have done a better job at ACTIVELY standing before their talent.

BUT, thinking they should have done anything, apparently makes me a troll, only to hate on Cover.
I accept that, and will refrain from ever commenting on the corporation again here.
You need to do a better job of explaining what standing 'in front' of their talent means, because if what you want is for them to make a public statement that would, in any way, even obliquely refer to Taiwan or refute the One China policy, it would make things a million times worse for all of their talent.

Kirroyal88

Oct 25, 2018
Lurker here!!!
This is weird. I don't watch her stream regularly besides of asacoco and meme review but somehow this hurt real bad. Hopefully she can find success in her next venture. She deserves it.

Perhaps you should take a rest man. Remember all this shit happened over a FLAG!!! The only side to blame here is cyrbaby CCP shit.

Cover, in my opinion, have done what most company in the world would NEVER think about in order to protect its employee, cutting ties with the current 2nd world biggest economy. Sure there are restrictions now but the market is still huge in China and you can enter it as long you are willing to lick CCP's ass. Look at Hollywood.

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
A "Unicorn" is basically a guy who thinks his idol can't be "stained" by another male.
Any asociation with a male member of the human species will do.

They're sick, and unfortunately these streamers are linked to them by their branding.
It's a fucked culture, but none seems to care, as long as there are cute faces on the screen.
Ah yeah, got it, thanks.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Dumb question, but's what's a "unicorn" in this context? A spammer?
Unicorn = Idol/VA fan that want their idol/VA to be pure away from male interaction aka. like the fantasy unicorn that only like pure maiden
Anti - Generic term in Japan for troll, stalker, etc
Little Pink Wumao/50 cent - Chinese troll farm people that are China #1

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
User banned (5 days): Drive-by trolling, prior ban for trolling
Oh, who's this? 🤔

*one stealthy Google image search later...*

...Uh yeah, I can see why she's gonna be missed. 😢

Rosa Lilium

Oct 27, 2017
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The world seems pretty unfair when YouTubers/streamers can get away scot-free with racism, blatant misogyny, sexual assault and rape but Coco gets pushed out for briefly mentioning Taiwan.

Last edited:

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
You need to do a better job of explaining what standing 'in front' of their talent means, because if what you want is for them to make a public statement that would, in any way, even obliquely refer to Taiwan or refute the One China policy, it would make things a million times worse for all of their talent.

As I already said, I would like a public statement, that they won't be bullied into submission. A company-wide "you are not going to be reprimanded for telling these assholes to fuck off".
A clear endorsement of their talent, and a clear "FAQ you" to the obvious trolls, spammers and whatever the fuck.
That's all I ever wanted.

You conveniently left out my second sentence, btw.
They hide BEHIND their talent.

They let them catch ALL of the abuse, while Yagoo gets memes of himself made.
Is that untrue? If it is, please tell me where Cover intervened on behalf of their talent.
From where I'm looking at things, there is still no active stance from the company.

They can't do anything about Youtube's moderation tools, I really get that.

But they never did ANYTHING for their talent from a PR perspective.
Except reprimanding them, publicly, as a try to assuage the horde of antis.

Which, as I argue, just worked to embolden these fucks.

That's all I ever lay at their feet, for blame.
Cover has done a bunch of great things in vtubing, but taking care of their employees is not one of them.

And I'm being called a troll, and recently a CCP loyalist, to point that out.
No, I love Hololive, and its creators, that's why I think it should do better.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
As I already said, I would like a public statement, that they won't be bullied into submission. A company-wide "you are not going to be reprimanded for telling these assholes to fuck off".
A clear endorsement of their talent, and a clear "FAQ you" to the obvious trolls, spammers and whatever the fuck.
That's all I ever wanted.

You conveniently left out my second sentence, btw.
They hide BEHIND their talent.

They let them catch ALL of the abuse, while Yagoo gets memes of himself made.
Is that untrue? If it is, please tell me where Cover intervened on behalf of their talent.
From where I'm looking at things, there is still no active stance from the company.
You don't think Yagoo cares for his talent? He already gave himself a pay cut and Cover has put more resources into personnel and policies specifically to protect their talent, while also working with YouTube to accelerate access to better moderation tooling. Not everything they've done is visible, and most of it shouldn't need to be. Communications to their talent regarding safety protocols or anything else, also do not need to be broadcast to the public.

Telling the trolls off in a public statement would, again, only incite them to do worse. And equating their actions not being publicly visible with inaction is just plain wrong.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
A reminder, Coco didn't say Taiwan is a country or similiar thing.

Just showing the Google analytic, that the third largest viewer group is from Taiwan
Japan is first, US is second, Taiwan is third, and there is no "flag" or such thing.
2796734-PH.jpg

China Vtuber 南宮燈 using N-word and other...racism thing.
And after is bring up, the chinese reaction is, it's a joke, and other similiar and no apologize.
2846175-PH.jpg

2846170-PH.jpg

2846177-PH.jpg

2846178-PH.jpg

2846182-PH.jpg

I remember that China did a TV show like the idol singing contest song, except for vtuber, earlier last year, the whole thing was...not good in a funny way?

The "talent" in the promo poster
2xqZkdI.jpeg

Promo vs inshow
j2JQxx0.jpeg
IGoPmK0.jpeg
slRbcWU.jpeg
2wnGP3S.jpeg
QfHvfCf.jpeg

pjCCY38.jpeg

KVVYmZ9.jpg

ZesFtcj.jpeg

IpMzS2Y.jpeg

hVJ6liw.jpeg

4S9sYrq.jpg

The actual judging and thing was all set, because when the show start, the modeling and thing isn't done, so the "judge" are reading from a script
So alot of the thing that the judge say, don't match what the Vtuber are doing also.
And the model quality is...not good with weird effect in hair, clothe, etc.

ash32121

Oct 27, 2017
The Taiwan stuff is actually even dumber if you put 2 and 2 together.

China outright banned Youtube in their country so, if a Chinese person wants to watch their favorite Vtuber, what do they do?

Using a fucking TAIWANESE VPN.

Yes, It was that dumb.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Taiwan stuff is actually even dumber if you put 2 and 2 together.

China outright banned Youtube in their country so, if a Chinese person wants to watch their favorite Vtuber, what do they do?

Using a fucking TAIWANESE VPN.

Yes, It was that dumb.
I think her being American also fueled their CCP Brainwashing induced rage.

Otakukidd

The cutest v-tuber
Oct 25, 2017
A reminder, Coco didn't say Taiwan is a country or similiar thing.

Just showing the Google analytic, that the third largest viewer group is from Taiwan
Japan is first, US is second, Taiwan is third, and there is no "flag" or such thing.
2796734-PH.jpg

China Vtuber 南宮燈 using N-word and other...racism thing.
And after is bring up, the chinese reaction is, it's a joke, and other similiar and no apologize.
2846175-PH.jpg

2846170-PH.jpg

2846177-PH.jpg

2846178-PH.jpg

2846182-PH.jpg

I remember that China did a TV show like the idol singing contest song, except for vtuber, earlier last year, the whole thing was...not good in a funny way?

The "talent" in the promo poster
2xqZkdI.jpeg

Promo vs inshow
j2JQxx0.jpeg
IGoPmK0.jpeg
slRbcWU.jpeg
2wnGP3S.jpeg
QfHvfCf.jpeg

pjCCY38.jpeg

KVVYmZ9.jpg

ZesFtcj.jpeg

IpMzS2Y.jpeg

hVJ6liw.jpeg

4S9sYrq.jpg

The actual judging and thing was all set, because when the show start, the modeling and thing isn't done, so the "judge" are reading from a script
So alot of the thing that the judge say, don't match what the Vtuber are doing also.
And the model quality is...not good with weird effect in hair, clothe, etc.
Also wasn't the reason why they are still hung up about it is cause she is American and "should know better". Haachama did the same thing a day earlier and didn't get a 1/100th the amount of hate.

Oct 27, 2017
I've seen it. Believe me when I say you don't want to.
I definitely don't want to see any more as it is some vile shit but it is still shocking as hell that it went even further than I thought.

Like I am familiar with some Vtubers who repeated the N word when playing GTA5 at the Lamar roast section (which to be fair to them, they didn't know what it meant and now that they know they don't do it anymore) but this is just straight up them being racist while knowing full well what they are saying.

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
You don't think Yagoo cares for his talent? He already gave himself a pay cut and Cover has put more resources into personnel and policies specifically to protect their talent, while also working with YouTube to accelerate access to better moderation tooling. Not everything they've done is visible, and most of it shouldn't need to be. Communications to their talent regarding safety protocols or anything else, also do not need to be broadcast to the public.

Telling the trolls off in a public statement would, again, only incite them to do worse. And equating their actions not being publicly visible with inaction is just plain wrong.

Now that's what I wanted from the beginning!
Just here you told me I'm wrong and WHY.
Thank you! You did educate me!

I still would have prefered a statement to not worry about the trolls, but I guess that's the next best thing.
I don't follow any reddits or whatever. So these inner workings were not known to me.
I generally went by what the company publicly did.
And that is ONLY reprimanding Coco and Haachama.

I really don't want to "convert" anyone to my point of view.
I just want them to know where it's coming from.

I really don't think my concern is that far-fetched, any thread about activision or ea would have gone different(like without me learning anything :P), though.

I still think Cover needs to take as firm as a stand FOR their talents, as they do when regulating their streams.

As for now, I'm content with your explainations, though. You're probably right. As I said, I'm frustrated and am prone to lashing out. >.<

For the future, I wish, these explainations to come from an official source.
These talents deserve to be acknowledged, as are their hardships.

Cover would be a better company to publicly acknowledge both of these sides of the coin, in my eyes.

komodothefist

Oct 30, 2017
This is devastating. Coco is just immensely talented and such a hard worker, it's so unfair that she's had to deal with all of this. And, if her alternate persona birthday stream is right, she's quite young too! Imagine essentially changing the trajectory of hololive at that age, and dealing with all this hate? It's just crazy impressive. I really wish the best for her going forward, but I'm going to miss her as Coco.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Now that's what I wanted from the beginning!
Just here you told me I'm wrong and WHY.
Thank you! You did educate me!

I still would have prefered a statement to not worry about the trolls, but I guess that's the next best thing.
I don't follow any reddits or whatever. So these inner workings were not known to me.
I generally went by what the company publicly did.
And that is ONLY reprimanding Coco and Haachama.

I really don't want to "convert" anyone to my point of view.
I just want them to know where it's coming from.

I really don't think my concern is that far-fetched, any thread about activision or ea would have gone different(like without me learning anything :P), though.

I still think Cover needs to take as firm as a stand FOR their talents, as they do when regulating their streams.

As for now, I'm content with your explainations, though. You're probably right. As I said, I'm frustrated and am prone to lashing out. >.<

For the future, I wish, these explainations to come from an official source.
These talents deserve to be acknowledged, as are their hardships.

Cover would be a better company to publicly acknowledge both of these sides of the coin, in my eyes.
It's all good. I'm glad we could clear the air on that. It's a shocking time for Coco's fans and fans of Vtubers in general.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Also wasn't the reason why they are still hung up about it is cause she is American and "should know better". Haachama did the same thing a day earlier and didn't get a 1/100th the amount of hate.

If I remember, it was, Hachama was a mistake, Coco was doing it intentional to "insult" us(china) or that kind of thinking.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

And yet, they still massively fueled the fire by PUNISHING Haachama and Coco for literally nothing. I really really really reeeeeeally want to read someone here defending Cover for what they did to the two of them when the whole shitstorm started. It's honestly impressive that there are people "confused" over others still being mad at Cover.
"oh but they helped them… BEHIND THE SCEEEEENES~~~~ wooooooohhhhh" while in public they kneeled to the antis and gave the two girls a forced "vacation" and forced them to apologize for doing nothing.
Fuck Cover. No, they aren't "the bad guys" in the situation, but they're definitely massively responsible for the shitshow that ensued and the lack of protection their talent got.

Oct 27, 2017
If I remember, the segment was talking about a real person, a worker or cleaner in her home, and that's what she...call him....which make it worse, because it is real person she meet and interact with.
WOW

I don't even know what to say. I hope said person can get away from her because god damn... Imagine someone being that vile to you behind your back (or maybe even in front of them if they are familiar with her online persona).

That this was okay yet Coco and Haato just merely mentioning Taiwan meant all the harassment and pain was OK is really messed up.

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
And yet, they still massively fueled the fire by PUNISHING Haachama and Coco for literally nothing. I really really really reeeeeeally want to read someone here defending Cover for what they did to the two of them when the whole shitstorm started. It's honestly impressive that there are people "confused" over others still being mad at Cover.
"oh but they helped them… BEHIND THE SCEEEEENES~~~~ wooooooohhhhh" while in public they kneeled to the antis and gave the two girls a forced "vacation" and forced them to apologize for doing nothing.
Fuck Cover. No, they aren't "the bad guys" in the situation, but they're definitely massively responsible for the shitshow that ensued and the lack of protection their talent got.

Though I'm much less mad at Cover after this thread...thanks to Hailinel
This has never got an answer.

And I'm not quite sure I want one, going by their public record.
Let's just assume things were evened out behind the scenes. Coco's Stream did at least hint at them seperating in mutual agreement and respect.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Though I'm much less mad at Cover after this thread...thanks to Hailinel
This has never got an answer.

And I'm not quite sure I want one, going by their public record.
Let's just assume things were evened out behind the scenes. Coco's Stream did at least hint at them seperating in mutual agreement and respect.

As I said here, apologizing publicly is a common thing here in Asia, and it worked for Hachama, no one really expect the Coco thing to keep on continue and esculating to them now invading other people's stream.
www.resetera.com

Kiryu Coco of Hololive will end streaming activities on July 1st, 2021. News

I'm so sad about this. Coco did so much for the vTuber industry and was one of the two who helped pioneer HoloEN. She helped connect thousands of viewers from across the regions and was so instrumental in the rise of many of the current vTubers. We don't know the reason for why she decided to...
www.resetera.com

I'm so sad about this. Coco did so much for the vTuber industry and was one of the two who helped pioneer HoloEN. She helped connect thousands of viewers from across the regions and was so instrumental in the rise of many of the current vTubers. We don't know the reason for why she decided to...
www.resetera.com

And it's also believe it's easier to just make a "apology" to them, since there is no reasoning or talking out with the antis.

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
As I said here, apologizing publicly is a common thing here in Asia, and it worked for Hachama, no one really expect the Coco thing to keep on continue and esculating to them now invading other people's stream.
www.resetera.com

www.resetera.com

www.resetera.com

And it's also believe it's easier to just make a "apology" to them, since there is no reasoning or talking out with the antis.

Yeah, as I have already said, that is a shitty culture.
It isn't fit for a 2021 worldwide culture.

But I guess it's as streamers have always been: You can not please everyone.

Maybe the attempt to do that pisses me off more than it does less....

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Everything about Coco was looking so bright and beautiful when she got the new YT features enabled on her channel and started collabing with EN/ID, but now we get these news completely out of left field.

These news would make me incredibly sad no matter what, but it really took me by surprise when I woke up this morning. I don't really know what to say...

I don't want to speculate about the reason behind her "graduation", and we have no reason to feel entitled to know why this is happening, but I can see why people want draw lines between this and the continuous harrassment from West Taiwan.

She has been a pioneer in the vtuber industry. The bridge between West and East. A adidas dragon with a steely determination and an iron will.

I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavours, and thank you for your hard work, Kiryu. You will be missed. 🧡