• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Guess the Review Score

• 95+

Votes: 42 3.3%
  • 90-94

Votes: 192 15.2%
  • 85-89

Votes: 592 46.8%
  • 80-84

Votes: 366 28.9%
  • < 80

Votes: 73 5.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Absent Breeze

Oct 25, 2017
You still can't understand MGS4 story without playing the rest and MGSs plot is a convoluted mess, but they seem to ignore this. It's clearly a Double standard.
It is funny because I went went from mgs 1 to Mgs 4 lol that shit was wild.
"Patriots?"
"Eva?"
"Raiden?"
"Vamp?"
It was like a 25 hour fever dream, that being said I still enjoyed it, but definitely realized it was my fault for trying to jump in without catching up on the plot first.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
CoM had a good story.

Kingdom Hearts had a very basic story.

Yea in the first game, then in 2 it starts to get crazy with the nobody's.

Kind of a bummer though that from what Planetsmasher is saying we won;t see a lot or if any FF characters. That was part of the thing I really liked as surprise. Be nice to see Zidane, lightning, noctis, or people from older FF games pop up as cameo's just for shits and giggles. But With how amazing the disney aspect looks I'm fine with it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that comparison works at all and I think it flies against the way games are released and received, especially with the gap between releases. It's also a matter of perception. Do you honestly believe that movies released at film festivals later debuting in theaters are perceived the same way by audiences as games in established franchises being released on a handheld being remastered for consoles 10 years or so later? You even acknowledge this as a "dumb perception", but I think it's a fair assumption to make by casual fans. There's a precedent for it and SE should know it. It's their own fault. This is what I was arguing for. SE made a mess and it's not the fault of the audience.

To be fair, the remaster of BBS was packed in with the KH2 remaster in one of the best HD remix compilations we've ever gotten in gaming.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
What carries KH has never been the "plot" or "story", but the characters and the strength of their emotional connection to the player.

The story itself is character driven, rather than plot driven

nintendoman58

Oct 25, 2017
Are the superbosses in this game a cameo from any other Disney or Marvel property? Or are they yet another faceless hooded/shadow thing that's meant to foreshadow something?

Again, don't spoil who or what it is. I just want to know if it's a yes or no thing.

Oct 25, 2017
I've tried watching recaps of the KH storyline, and I've played 1+2, but I also just find my mind wandering the second the density of events and character superimposition becomes too stupid to sort out and it's then when I realize the most important thing: KH, like a lot of the Disney stuff it incorporates, follows its own set of rules, and they aren't necessarily supposed to make sense or be reducible in complexity. In other words, just like there is weird shit that allows princesses to wake up upon a kiss from so-and-so, so to then will the penetration of a key in a heart create nobodies and darkness ... things. And it doesn't make sense, and it doesn't need to, because when you actually play KH3 you'll be able to enjoy yourself in the moment and stop worrying about the why and the how.

I'm sure all KH fans now think I'm stupid and just don't "get" the storyline, and that's maybe true, but I guess my main point would be: just play the game. In the moment, just as with KH1 and 2 (which again are the only ones I've played) you really don't question the weirdness or nonsense in the moment. In the moment it's just the earnestness of the story and characters that drives you, and, really, that's the best thing about these games.

dimasok

Banned
Sep 9, 2018
I don't get it. There are less worlds that in the previous KH so why the hell (as EG review said) are some worlds still hallways?

Oct 27, 2017
Not reading a single review, nor watching one. I do want to know how long the game is. Any word on this? The only thing I want to know.

I'm there with you I don't read reviews anymore... GJ's play on easy and run through the games as fast as they can, just to get the review out as fast as possible, hell IGN was found out to not even have beaten RE2 Remake but gave it a 91... reviewers are a joke. Just look at previews or just plays and decide for yourself.
but about the length.
depends.. really.. the leaker beat it in 33 hours but ran through it as fast as he could... I would bet 100% every reviewer played it on beginner .. So if you play it on Proud like you should, and dont just run through it like mad.. its a good 40+ hours and probably 75+ to 100%

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I've tried watching recaps of the KH storyline, and I've played 1+2, but I also just find my mind wandering the second the density of events and character superimposition becomes too stupid to sort out and it's then when I realize the most important thing: KH, like a lot of the Disney stuff it incorporates, follows its own set of rules, and they aren't necessarily supposed to make sense or be reducible in complexity. In other words, just like there is weird shit that allows princesses to wake up upon a kiss from so-and-so, so to then will the penetration of a key in a heart create nobodies and darkness ... things. And it doesn't make sense, and it doesn't need to, because when you actually play KH3 you'll be able to enjoy yourself in the moment and stop worrying about the why and the how.

I'm sure all KH fans now think I'm stupid and just don't "get" the storyline, and that's maybe true, but I guess my main point would be: just play the game. In the moment, just as with KH1 and 2 (which again are the only ones I've played) you really don't question the weirdness or nonsense in the moment. In the moment it's just the earnestness of the story and characters that drives you, and, really, that's the best thing about these games.
It's all just magic bullshit. The series has its own set of rules it establishes and then makes and breaks rules whenever it serves the story they want to tell in any particular game.

Ex: In KH2 we had time travel with its own set of rules, then DDD added time travel with some other bullshit rules.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017

I think you are smart, not dumb. They are definitely "in the moment" games, and that is what good action games are supposed to be.

And really, what commercialized fantasy universes arent sill when looked at closely? Harry Potter, MCU, Star Wars, Assasins Creed...they are all silly. But that soesnt prevent folks from getting into them and enjoying what they have to offer.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I can't play the game until Wednesday so I'm trying my fucking damndest to get an early copy in NY ANYWHERE

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I think you are smart, not dumb. They are definitely "in the moment" games, and that is what good action games are supposed to be.

And really, what commercialized fantasy universes arent sill when looked at closely? Harry Potter, MCU, Star Wars, Assasins Creed...they are all silly. But that soesnt prevent folks from getting into them and enjoying what they have to offer.

That's a point I've been trying to articulate lol; this is not an inaccessible game at the end of the day. Yes the labyrinth plot will fly over heads but the premise, the familiar Disney world storylines, and the "in the moment" story beats is something that can be followed along.

Oct 27, 2017
United States

Nahhh man. I mean, you're right, both disney and kingdom hearts are full of nonsense, but children can understand disney, at least at its core. I'm not sure kingdom hearts even has a core. Its complex and not just because of what's there but also what's not. You do question it, you just get no answers. I learned a long time ago to look at kingdom hearts as surrealist story telling and moved on.

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't know. I just touched my PS4 and it doesn't seem super hot or anything. But I never really touched my PS4 before while I play so I can't compare.

But is it superloud? God of War scared me, it was the first and only game to overheat my PS to the point that it shut down by itself, which is the only thing preventing me from replaying that game. This doesn't look half as demanding as that, but then again, the levels do seem enormous...

Thank you!

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right on. I haven't had a problem with them since the first time I played but everyone complains about them.

The worst in the first game is both Ursulas.

GroundedAthleticBluetonguelizard-size_restricted.gif

Really?

Only boss I ever struggled with in KH1 was possessed Riku. That took me the better part of a week (not helped by unskippable cutscenes). Even Sephiroth, Kurt Zisa, and Phantom were pretty easy to me.

KH2's Roxas fight and post-game stuff (excluding Sephiroth) + BBS's secret bosses are the real headaches of the series.