• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
unknown.png

Previously, it almost seems as though Disney has left the onus of promoting Kingdom Hearts solely on Square Enix, but this should provide a boost in awareness of both the game and the IP as a whole, considering Disney.com's site ranking by viewership.

Does this mark a shift in how Disney views the importance of the Kingdom Hearts IP?

Deleted member 34714

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
There seems to be big promotion for the game. I went to jack in the box this morning with XM radio on and the host advertised KH3 today on the radio lol.

(To be specific, she talked about how you can explore mount olympus being a thing.)

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
I think it's crazy that Sora, Riku, Kairi and all those spiky haired zipper freaks from Organization XIII could technically be characters in the parks.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
unknown.png

Previously, it almost seems as though Disney has left the onus of promoting Kingdom Hearts solely on Square Enix, but this should provide a boost in awareness of both the game and the IP as a whole, considering Disney.com's site ranking by viewership.

Does this mark a shift in how Disney views the importance of the Kingdom Hearts IP?
I don't know I couldn't tell you since Disney.com automatically sends me to freaking disneylatino.com because I'm in Mexico. Is there any way to access the actual Disney.com from here without having to use a VPN? I hate sites that do this that don't give the option to visit the other versions easily.

Last edited:

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
But
I don't know I couldn't tell you since Disney.com automatically sends me to freaking disnneylatino.com because I'm in Mexico. Is there any way to access the actual Disney.com from here without having to use a VPN? I hate sites that do this that don't give the option to visit the other versions easily.

Me too. such BS

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know I couldn't tell you since Disney.com automatically sends me to freaking disnneylatino.com because I'm in Mexico. Is there any way to access the actual Disney.com from here without having to use a VPN? I hate sites that do this that don't give the option to visit the other versions easily.

Different area of the world, but same :(

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Interesting,

But it's odd that none of the Disney Twitter handles even tweeted about it.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Hasn't this series been making mega money for years?

Nice of Disney to finally notice.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
Here's a fun fact about KH2's promotion.

At the time KH2 was about to come out, I actually had the oppurtunity to do the "Disney Internship" at Disney World. For their interior system, they usually would have all their disney related stuff and when it came time for KH2 to come out, they actually had a piece about it showed th promotion with one of the magazines at the time (slips my mind which one it was) for all the alternate outfits for Sora, Donald and Goofy. I would imagine that right now, there is likely something in their systems right now that is promoting the heck out of KH3.

Either way, it is great to see that Disney wants to see KH3 flourish and so far, the game has been a blast. Only got to play for 3 hours but I'll be making my way to Buzz and Woody soon.

dyelawn91

Jan 16, 2018
I wonder if Disney pumped more money into the development of this one vs. other entries in the series.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Post Marvel/Pixar/Lucasflim acquistion Disney is a whole different beast.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely seemed like they've done the minimal amount of promotion possible in the past, but as a 10 year old, I first became aware of the first game's existence by watching Disney Channel. They ran original ads on there for it like crazy for a few months.

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018
It's definitely seemed like they've done the minimal amount of promotion possible in the past, but as a 10 year old, I first became aware of the first game's existence by watching Disney Channel. They ran original ads on there for it like crazy for a few months.
Yeah they always did market the titles.

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
So, when do we get the Kingdom Hearts Movie that mixes up Real world/characters with all the comic worlds/characters?

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm expecting Disney to release more KH related products in the future. They're going in on this franchise in a big way that they haven't before.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
There was a point in time on the Disney Channel where every other commercial was for KH1. It was wild.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
So, when do we get the Kingdom Hearts Movie that mixes up Real world/characters with all the comic worlds/characters?
I've been thinking a lot about this today. I wonder if between the inevitable decline of Marvel/Star Wars (not a remark on current quality, just a note that all things are finite), and the current popularity of mash-up narratives (Ready Player One, Ralph Wrecks the Internet, The Lego Movie) - somebody high up at Disney will look a Kingdom Hearts, and see a starting point for a cinematic universe.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been thinking a lot about this today. I wonder if between the inevitable decline of Marvel/Star Wars (not a remark on current quality, just a note that all things are finite), and the current popularity of mash-up narratives (Ready Player One, Ralph Wrecks the Internet, The Lego Movie) - somebody high up at Disney will look a Kingdom Hearts, and see a starting point for a cinematic universe.
I think it just that there is a lot of people in Disney who play these games and now have the power to be apart of these games

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Fun fact: there is a Sora character, as well as KH Goofy and Donald, for disney parks. They are just almost never used.
Last time was for a wedding on the disney cruiseline I think.
Also one hotel for tokyo disneyland has been decorated for KH3 and the key for the chambers is a keyblade.

Edit: for anyone who wants to learn more about it:

Thats a great channel for disney parks trivia btw.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I remember reading interviews that Disney was pushing for Kingdom Hearts 3 quite a bit. So I'm not surprised that now that they have it they are giving it a big push on their own places.

*also if you went into a Diseny store in the last few months almost all of them had keyblades on the wall to promote KH3.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They doing a Kingdom Hearts Sale on Vudu this week too.

I could see this as the start of Disney really pushing this IP, and maybe even turning it into their next live action tentpole film franchise. It's the perfect way to tie all of their animated IPs into a single film and have it make sense, and could be the MCU of Disney/Pixar. It's obvious they're looking for ways to do this, like Wreck It Ralph 2.

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
Never, it sounds terrible.
It could work and with a look like Roger Rabbit had it even could look good and bring a nice Disney Mixture. Or it could end like Ready Player one, kinda loveless. But with the game being a success we sure get something, at least a little TV show for the streaming service.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Fun fact: there is a Sora character, as well as KH Goofy and Donald, for disney parks. They are just almost never used.
Last time was for a wedding on the disney cruiseline I think.
Also one hotel for tokyo disneyland has been decorated for KH3 and the key for the chambers is a keyblade.

Edit: for anyone who wants to learn more about it:

Thats a great channel for disney parks trivia btw.

That was a great video, I had no idea there was an actual Sora costume/character that had shown up ar the parks before. It also suggests that Disney doesn't outright own the characters 100% like we had previously thought.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That was a great video, I had no idea there was an actual Sora costume/character that had shown up ar the parks before. It also suggests that Disney doesn't outright own the characters 100% like we had previously thought.
I think they don't own Sora per se, but they made him an official Disney character, which isn't the case for Squall, Cloud etc... which also appear in KH games.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
I think they don't own Sora per se, but they made him an official Disney character, which isn't the case for Squall, Cloud etc... which also appear in KH games.

I found this online:

Disney owns him and everything else in Kingdom Hearts, but Disney usually consults with Square Enix for their permission to use anything from the games outside of the games. Likewise, Square can technically make whatever decisions they want with the property, but Disney has the right to shut it down for any reason.

Examples: Dissidia was originally meant to be a Kingdom Hearts fighting game, Disney shut it down.

Sora has only been featured in the Disney parks once, because supposedly they get Nomura's permission for each individual time he's used.

Remember the news that there were plans for a KH cartoon series years ago? That would've been interesting.

Xelan

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Woops wrong thread, on topic I guess I dont wee why disney wouldn't want to advertise something like this.

Although now I feel bad for the casual disney fan who buys this not knowing what they are in for.

Last edited: