• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
They can always do a reboot if the story is problematic these days.

The IP still has tons of potential and the fact Sony isn't even doing FPS game sucks. Both Killzone and Resistance were some of the best shooters last gen and they are sorely missed.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
The world had so much potential. But storytelling in these games sucked ass. Gameplay was a lot of fun tho, especially MP.

Also, KZ Merc is the best KZ don't at me.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mercenary was a solid game. I rarely replay things but the level design and contracts system added a lot of value to the game; I played it stealthily the first time (lots of paths and weapons to support that) and then went loud my second time through. It and Tearaway are easily my favourite VITA games. It'a sad it never got a home console release because I think people would've liked it. I also have no idea they made it work on a handheld because it looked great and played very well, it's a real technical marvel.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
The Halo killer was killed before Halo died.
Never forget.

s-l640.jpg

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
What bugs me about the Killzone series is there was so much lore leading up to the first game in the series. If Guerrilla wanted to, they could make a game called "Killzone Origins" about the very early days of the Helghans meeting people from Earth and having it be a similar game to Horizon. Not everything has to be a grim/gritty shooter.

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
They stopped running godofwar.com and redirected that to a playstation.com web page too back in 2012, didn't mean the series was gone. Lot of weird takes and assumptions in here. Sony doesn't operate specialized websites for any of their big games anymore.

guerra08

Nov 12, 2020
Brazil
I really liked Killzone 2 and 3. Shame we probably won't see another one, I feel like it never hit it's true potential.

MeBecomingI

Oct 27, 2017
This probably also kills any hope of a remaster of Killzone 2 and 3. What a wasted opportunity by Sony. Shame, I loved this series. Felt different and fresh compared to most shooters.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope GG is at least working on a FPS even if it isn't Killzone. They have far too much talent creating good gunplay for it to not be used in a FPS

Quade

Mar 8, 2019
KZ2 is my favourite fps so I'm sad to see this. All i want is a remake with multiplayer :(

Kid Heart

Oct 25, 2017
I've actually been playing Shadow Fall's multiplayer as of late, and while I do have a few issues with the game this time around compared to 2 and 3, it's still a very solid foundation to build off of. I hope they still give the franchise another chance in the future as multiplayer FPS games seem to currently be in a decline, and it would be a shame to lose what I feel was one of the better series at the genre's peak.

WalshyB

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
don't care what anyone here who wants to put a shit post like "mediocre series" or some other sad bullshit, KZ2 is by far the best FPS I've ever played.

Bathory

Dec 8, 2020
I am not sure why people keep using Horizon as them doing the right thing. Sony can always do both.

The series still has tons of potential. Killzone Mercenary needed a sequel. Infact the potential for a sequel could be awesome.

Imagine a Killzone similiar to Dishonored in structure.

Yeah, I agree, Shadowfall was awful, but Killzone had potential and Mercenary and Killzone 2 were good games, so why not give another chance ? The potential is there, maybe give the IP to another studio, Horizon and Killzone can coexist

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Really no point in Killzone when CoD will always have the crown for that genre. Playstation at this point will just keep making "timed" partnerships for CoD.

No point in platformers because Mario has the crown of that genre.

No point in RPGs because Street Fighter.

No point in racing games because Gran Turismo.

Just a silly thing to say. Killzone was definitely different enough to Call of Duty to warrant an audience.

I am surprised that killzone shadow fall was never given to the US as a ps+ game. I always wondered why Sony held that title back.

It's a pretty bad game, the campaign at least. Perhaps that's why.

It's really rough around the edges, just feels rough, level design very poor, and frustrating.

Plus, the multiplayer wasn't effectively monetised. You could buy voice packs and a few skins, but not much else. I bet most people didn't buy anything.

So there's nothing to gain giving it away for free. You sour people on the IP by exposing them to a title that isn't up to par, and you don't get a return because it's not monetised very well.

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017
if you want to purposefully misunderstand because you're thirsty for some generic service shooter that's fine but sony seems fine with making big money from single player narrative experiences for the time being. stay angry lol

holy shit what a projection, who the hell asked for a generic shooter?

giphy.gif

plus if anyone is angry it's your weird ass that's getting emotional over someone asking for a shooter, and trying to insult people. if you don't like it, move the hell on. no one is forcing you.

May 19, 2020
holy shit what a projection, who the hell asked for a generic shooter?

giphy.gif

plus if anyone is angry it's your weird ass that's getting emotional over someone asking for a shooter, and trying to insult people. if you don't like it, move the hell on. no one is forcing you.
i think in this context the verb you're looking for is begging. you're begging sony for a shooter lol

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Man talk about missed opportunities. They could've spruced up the series and dumped them all on Steam for a decent little return. So long as they were better ports than Horizon.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
Thread went to shit quick.

Killzone doesn't have the imagery capitol of Star Wars, but it is the same thing. Resist space nazis.

But GG moved on, and stopped making fascist imagery to be exploited,

Apr 25, 2020
Sorry folks, I am an aspiring PS5 owner, and I put Guerilla Games in the same basket as Quantic Dream. Massively overrated.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Never cared for them anyway. Not terrible, but certainly not great. If anything, Horizon was the best they've made and I still think that was average. As beautiful as GG are, I can't get into their catalog. And I know I'm going to fall for it again when HZD2 drops.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I agree, Shadowfall was awful, but Killzone had potential and Mercenary and Killzone 2 were good games, so why not give another chance ? The potential is there, maybe give the IP to another studio, Horizon and Killzone can coexist
I honestly feel the same about so many Sony IPs.
A lot of people feel like one IP should die instead of just being given to some other developer.

There is always a variety of excuses. Sometimes it is the devs making a new IP so that means the old ones must die. Sometimes someone hates an IP so they believe nobody should ask for a revival.

If people don't like an IP then feel free to ignore it. No need to buy every game after all.

In this particular case I feel like Killzone could have so many cool spins on it. A Dishonored style Mercenary sequel where you take contracts and kill targets in a variety of different situations. An open world Falllout esque game where you go to different planets and locations that could allow you to explore the universe. An RTS game similiar to Red Alert. A straight sequel/reboot to the main series.

There is so much they can do with the series and I would love them to try something with it.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not too surprising. I thought there was a chance Guerilla's MP game was Killzone related. But just as likely it's in the Horizon universe or a new IP I suppose .

WalshyB

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Are people in power armour considered cool? Why is that imagery considered cool? What was Killzone's main attraction? That last question is answered by Playstation All Stars. The glowy eyed space nazis,
It really wasn't that deep, Radec sounded cool and had neat abilities... that was it. Think you're just looking for a reason to be upset.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
i wonder if they'll re-update a way to get the Killzone Liberation DLC, i have it backed up in a couple places so it doesn't matter for me but for others they might be SoL

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
For some reason this makes me feel sad and old at the same time. Newer generation of kids is never gonna know of this series and how much it pushed things forward on the PlayStation side. Rest in Peace

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
I literally just picked up Killzone Mercenaries for the first time in forever last night and this happens the same night... fuck man... this series should be rebooted or something.

I still think that if it was affordable, Sony should buy up Raven Software to make new KZ games.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Killzone died when they closed Cambridge Studio ("Guerrilla Cambridge). Absolute dogshit move.
They made the best Killzone game with Killzone Mercenary. It's done now. Let it rest. Guerrilla's nex games will be Horizon Forbidden West and a new multiplayer IP, as it looks like. So yeah, let's see what they got.