• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BackwardCap

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
The long awaited year in the making video documentary on the Killer Instinct franchise has finally been released.

In our latest documentary, we take a look at the incredible story behind the Killer Instinct story, both in its origins and continued existence today.

N1corex

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 7, 2020
Nice I will check it out. I really enjoyed this current Killer Instinct game super cool that it's coming back for Evo :D.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Watching now. Even if you don't like KI, this is a great insight into how games get developed. You can really tell people loved KI. I hope it continues.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I only got into KI last year and I regretted it so much. I'm glad there's a mini resurgence now. Definitely excited to get bodied in the online tournament next month.

I'm only part way through and just reached sound design. The music and sound design in KI 2013 is really something else.

Thanathorn

Dec 10, 2019
If Microsoft hasn't greenlit a Killer Instinct 2 i will be shocked. Can't wait to watch this.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I loved it when they talked about how the dealt with the community crying about stuff haha. Really interesting to see how they differed from the majority of devs.

Keits

Designer at Iron Galaxy Studios
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Orlando, FL
This is why you gotta stream, man. It would have been great to see you watching it. Can't wait for Sajam's watch along.

I actually have a brand new streaming setup, but with everything going on, i just havent felt the desire to stream. Right now if I did it would mostly be me replaying Sleeping Dogs or playing Risk of Rain 2.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
A fantastic game well worth the extensive quality introspection. The development process and achievements are trully impressive. From being an XB1 Launch title made in under a year, the return of a 'dead' franchise, adopting a different purchase model for fighting games with the free offering, the first MS Fighting game, a new Dev parternship, changing Devs half-way through, being the first XB1/PC Cross-Play/Save/Buy title, being the first Win10 store game brought to Steam and having one of the best Fighting Game netcodes out there.

Not to mention the super varied roster, amazing game balance, unique game mechanics, great tutorials, deaf accessible design, most detailed Fighting Game patch notes, best fan website ever made and highlight worthy tournament moments. It's a shame so many sleep on the game because it's not Japan Made and is under the MS umbrella. I really hope the sequel gets the recognition it deserves.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Not interviewed but his name is dropped for doing the music early on. Basically taking inspirations with the original songs and doing what he does haha.
Roger, thanks. Was a huge KI fan as a kid but my fighting game days are behind me. Still in it for the music though, especially when Mick is involved.

OP
OP
BackwardCap

BackwardCap

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, it would have been cool to get a new interview with Mick. But the sound design segment was still good.

Nov 1, 2017
I watched it last night, very emotional trip for me.

Loved watching all of this. Made me feel very happy about a game i spent many years playing. But that whole segment about the toxcity surrounding being open about things like balancing and all that was rough to watch because i do remember seeing a lot of this, although i was always much more interested in just playing the game instead of talking about it so my trips to the forums were mostly just to see the latest updates.

For what it's worth Keits, for me the golden years of KI 2013 was the giddy excitement i had during the development and release of season 2. Obviously the version of KI we have now is the better game (IMO) but during season 2 was when KI really had its hooks in me and was playing constantly. The excitement of seeing each new character come to fruition, the little teases here and there, the monthly livestreams where you show off the newest character in detail, it was something i could share with friends who didn't even own an Xbox or KI but were just as passionate about it as i was (and who would often come round for KI sessions as a result).

My enjoyment of the game was only enhanced by the approach Iron Galaxy took as they took over the reigns from Double Helix, so in my mind the failed experiment was a very successful one. But it's a shame that this isn't the general consensus on this.

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
Mick Gordon in this?
trECRa9.png

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Watched the whole documentary. I really liked it. I am very new to KI 2013 because I only really started playing last year but I always did enjoy watching it at competitions. The Domi Cinder bomb loop was definitely a stand out for me and I'm glad that got a shout out. I completely understand the Darkstalkers comparison because that's honestly one of the main reasons I fell in love with KI, because it reminds me of Darkstalkers.

I would absolutely be all in on a new Killer Instinct if it gets the same amount of love as 2013 did. I don't want to miss this boat again. But honestly the best thing is how future proofed this game is, I imagine at the very least people will be playing this game for years and it having amazing netcode really helps.

Betamaxbandit

Jan 30, 2018
Just finished watching the doc. I found it incredibly interesting especially the development side of the project and the pressure iron galaxy faced when jumping into it for season 2.

one of the most interesting parts was the challenges the IG dev team faced when interacting with the community. Some of the vitriol and comments must have been seriously detrimental not only to moral but but also the mental heath of the team as a whole. It's something that the gaming community needs to look at, even here people can spout some incredibly toxic things which in turn has driven insiders and devs away. That's not to say we shouldn't criticise, but it needs to come from a constructive place and be at least civil.

even if you have no interest in KI I really recommend the doc.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a shame that the devs are owned by Amazon now. Would love to see another go at this.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
How was the DLC compared to the main game? Didn't really keep up.
Watch the documentary!

IG did an amazing job of taking on someone else project and making it their own. They made some great combat changes and introduced some really fun new characters and mechanics.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watch the documentary!

IG did an amazing job of taking on someone else project and making it their own. They made some great combat changes and introduced some really fun new characters and mechanics.
I'm at work bro, I'll try and sneak a few minutes in. :P

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Love KI so much. I did not miss a single dev stream back then.
Iron Galaxy and Double Helix did such a great job with this game.

N1corex

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 7, 2020
That doc sure made me feel like I haven't felt in awhile for a game. It really makes you appreciate what they were creating more so. A real shame Amazon bought out Double Helix, however IG seems to have handled the systems and dlc well I wish they had a shot at making their own game though. Who knows maybe they will bring them back one day. It's a good thing the game is future proofed for series x and pc moving forward.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I love how ken Lobb casually pushed the Series X incentive at the end lol
He's not wrong. The game is available day one on it

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Will watch the Doc later... but I'll say in the mid 90's....When you walked through the doors of an Arcade, you knew if they had Killer Instinct.... The Loud Sounds and commentary....gathered crowd.... and sick graphics when you got closer to the machine.

NavNucST3

Nov 13, 2017
This doc will definitely get you interested in downloading again if you've deleted it. KI (xbox) is the most hours I've ever put into a fighting game by far...while I hate the Iron Galaxy developed UI they definitely did an amazingly good job on moving the game forward.

Squid Lord

Nov 28, 2017
I just picked up KI off the Microsoft Store for $10 last week and I've never played a KI game before. I took one look at Hisako and thought okay that's my main. So far, it's just so fun so play. I wish I had got around to KI sooner, perhaps in the SNES era, but I was hooked on SF2 back then. This doc was enlightening. The care and consideration that went into it was astounding.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is still amazing how a Microsoft developed game can feel like such an underdog, it really has everything against it

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Finally got to watch this after work, soooo good. MS really really really needs to make a KI4 for Series X.

Also dat Mick Gordon comment on the video...

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Oh hell yeah. Killer Instinct on the SNES was my first ever video game back in 1997. Got my SNES and KI for my 5th Birthday. Which also included that sweet Killer Cuts CD.

Can't wait to check this out.

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
I watched most of this but probably need to give it more attention. I love KI. Remember playing in the arcade, buying those strategy guides... When this game came out on SNES, my mom let my older brother and I stay home from school.
Played it tons, learned the air ultra glitches, played it on xband.

After watching this, I decided to play the arcade games on Xbox one. That didn't last long, even though I enjoy them still, I must be terrible or something.

Started playing the latest one again, and it's still great. Hopefully they continue the IP.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
This was a great watch - i had no idea lobb was the man behind KI. also, lots of passion at both double helix and iron galaxy. really hope we get a sequel sooner rather than later (july reveal!?!?)