• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Rewatched the last two recently and I didn't really get how shitty his family is until I got older. Still great films though but think I prefer the first.
They are unbelievably shitty people all around. Buzz embarrassed Kevin in front of the entire school performance but no one gets mad at him. Kevin pushes back and he's irredeemable.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
Everyone in that family is terrible. Most people bash uncle Frank for his penny pinching and stealing silver wear off a plane but his homophobia in 2 is something people never mention about him.

maruchan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I just rewatched home alone 2 on freedom. They cut the part were Harry sexually assaults the women.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Somebody should legit make an R-rated parody where an entire gang tries to get into the house and the kid just offs them one at a time. Like that "with blood" video, but make a whole damn movie out of it.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Kev tried his hardest to catch a body throughout the second half of that movie.

He's also disturbingly calm & expressionless when Harry has a gun shoved in his face at the end and there's no reason to believe help is coming. Big Sociopath energy for sure.

anigif_enhanced-20673-1419291129-23.gif

tenor.gif

BlueKaty

Nov 30, 2020
Kevin's selfishness and sociopathy does not allow for any actual understanding of anyone below his social class.
Something like this could only be written by terrible armchair critics who are to blind to realize Kevin is still a god damn kid. These movies aren't meant to be that deep. It does not matter the family is rich because that's not the point of the movie but good job copy pasting this I guess.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
But the doctor said I'm su-...

Oh boy, here we go. Forgive me Professor Beef I held off as long as I could. It is time to bring back The Rant™.

Kevin McAllister is a rich, white, suburban American kid whose stupid family is obscenely wealthy. Not just his immediate family, but his extended family as well. Not only is the McAllister dynasty wealthy enough to support a Parisian vacation over the holidays with 11 horrible children, but the other McAllister terror cell they are visiting is rich enough to be kicking it back in Paris while their entire multifloor Manhattan townhouse undergoes extensive renovations. This is a family whose wealth knows no measure or limit. The financial security Kevin enjoys as an upper class young boy cannot be overstated. Kevin McAllister is a boy with no concept whatsoever of want besides superficial desires like cheese pizza.

In Home Alone 2, Kevin finds himself lost in Manhattan with his father's credit card. Kevin has unlimited money to do whatever he wants. So he does. He goes to The Plaza Hotel, one of the most luxurious hotels in the city, and tricks the staff in to giving him a room. While we are meant to be impressed with Kevin's antics, this is only the beginning of a long series of humiliations he exerts over the service workers at this hotel as Kevin lords over them all with his generational wealth.

While Home Alone 1 has Kevin defending himself from would be home invaders in a life threatening situation, the service staff at The Plaza poses no such threat to him. They are not invading his space, he is invading theirs. Every single one of them are there because it's their job to be. They are doing their jobs - over the holidays no less - as Kevin manipulates them to fulfill his luxurious whims. We are meant to find it hilarious how he degrades and debases them. He doesn't tip them, he subjects them to repeated embarrassment, and ultimately makes them afraid for their lives as he simulates a mass shooting. We saw a glimpse of this in Home Alone 1 with the pizza delivery boy, but in Home Alone 2, Kevin's treatment of the wage staff at this hotel is inhumane. What we see here is that upper class Kevin exerting unearned dominance over the working class with extreme prejudice.

There is not a single hotel employee that has done anything to earn Kevin's abuse beyond do their jobs. Yet he makes them afraid they will be murdered if they dare step out of line. This is shameful.

However, where the movie is really beyond the pale is in regards to Kevin's relationship with "the pigeon lady." This homeless woman isn't even given the dignity of a name in this film. At first, Kevin perceives her with fear and disgust. He attempts to run from her but fumbles and becomes stuck. She helps him and Kevin momentarily shows a glimmer of humanity as he realizes it was wrong to be afraid of her. This moment of empathy is brief however as Kevin's selfishness and sociopathy does not allow for any actual understanding of anyone below his social class.

This woman explains that she wasn't always homeless. She once had a home and a man she loved very much but it ended badly. This incident gave her PTSD and now she is distrustful of others and is unable to function in society. She calmly and bravely opens up to Kevin about her past trauma and her subsequent dehumanization in an uncaring society that forsakes the mentally ill. And do you know how Kevin responds? He says yeah, he gets it, because he's the youngest in his disgusting family. He then tells her to get over it and that only by opening herself up to love again will she ever not be a homeless lady covered in bird shit again. Straight up, to her vulnerable face, Kevin tells a homeless woman that she is responsible for her own prolonged destitution and that if she wants people to treat her better she needs to get over her mental illness. Kevin then goes home to his luxury hotel where he has every whim of his indulged by service workers he humiliates.

Seriously, he has unlimited money. He couldn't have gotten her a place to stay? Or invited her to stay with him? He couldn't share his unlimited food with her? He didn't even offer to let her take a shower. He descends from his nearly-llteral ivory tower, blames a shit covered mentally ill homeless woman who suffers nonstop dehumanization that she needs to get over her PTSD, and at the end of a movie he gives her a fucking bird ornament to show her how much he cares about her. How does he sleep at night in his king size bed at The Plaza Hotel knowing that someone who opened up to him about her inescapable poverty and trauma is sleeping on the street in the cold? What is wrong with this monster?

Home Alone 2 is a perverse Christmas Carol. It is the story of a spoiled rich young boy whose time with the working class and the poor motivates him to torment or abandon them. Even his supposedly virtuous gesture of preventing the toy store robbery costs him nothing. It's not his money. It's not his donation. Kevin does nothing except take a tour of what it's like to be less fortunate than him and live it up in a Trump Hotel.

The Wet Bandits were right to want to kill Kevin and I always hope they catch him. 😡

Where is she even supposed to put that bird ornament?? She doesn't have a Christmas tree. She is homeless. She is surrounded at all times by actual, living birds. What does she want a fake one for?? Fuck you Kevin.
This is art.

May 24, 2019
You mean Marv? I thought he was stuck on her purse? I can see why they cut it out though, his comments were definitely out of line. The version I watched the other night cut out Trump's cameo.

I just saw it in a theater where they must've gotten the current Disney DCP and both slap scenes are still there (in the second one Kevin pinches her butt and she decks the bandits)
Trump too.

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
Something like this could only be written by terrible armchair critics who are to blind to realize Kevin is still a god damn kid. These movies aren't meant to be that deep. It does not matter the family is rich because that's not the point of the movie but good job copy pasting this I guess.
Did you forget that Kevin does not exist? This wasn't a damn documentary it was a fictional movie that only came about due to the creative decisions of a number of adults, who made something to be viewed by adults and children. There is absolutely no justification to hand wave away (admittedly tongue in cheek) criticism of the movie's message because "Kevin is still a God damn kid."

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I hope you do not believe I actually feel this strongly about Home Alone 2. It's only a bit! I did not actually violate a doctor's order to make that post. It's just for fun.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Thank you Finale Fireworker for the early Beefmas gift of that post <3
yeah he's a kid, and kids fucking suck

Aya

Oh boy, here we go. Forgive me Professor Beef I held off as long as I could. It is time to bring back The Rant™.

Kevin McAllister is a rich, white, suburban American kid whose stupid family is obscenely wealthy. Not just his immediate family, but his extended family as well. Not only is the McAllister dynasty wealthy enough to support a Parisian vacation over the holidays with 11 horrible children, but the other McAllister terror cell they are visiting is rich enough to be kicking it back in Paris while their entire multifloor Manhattan townhouse undergoes extensive renovations. This is a family whose wealth knows no measure or limit. The financial security Kevin enjoys as an upper class young boy cannot be overstated. Kevin McAllister is a boy with no concept whatsoever of want besides superficial desires like cheese pizza.

In Home Alone 2, Kevin finds himself lost in Manhattan with his father's credit card. Kevin has unlimited money to do whatever he wants. So he does. He goes to The Plaza Hotel, one of the most luxurious hotels in the city, and tricks the staff in to giving him a room. While we are meant to be impressed with Kevin's antics, this is only the beginning of a long series of humiliations he exerts over the service workers at this hotel as Kevin lords over them all with his generational wealth.

While Home Alone 1 has Kevin defending himself from would be home invaders in a life threatening situation, the service staff at The Plaza poses no such threat to him. They are not invading his space, he is invading theirs. Every single one of them are there because it's their job to be. They are doing their jobs - over the holidays no less - as Kevin manipulates them to fulfill his luxurious whims. We are meant to find it hilarious how he degrades and debases them. He doesn't tip them, he subjects them to repeated embarrassment, and ultimately makes them afraid for their lives as he simulates a mass shooting. We saw a glimpse of this in Home Alone 1 with the pizza delivery boy, but in Home Alone 2, Kevin's treatment of the wage staff at this hotel is inhumane. What we see here is that upper class Kevin exerting unearned dominance over the working class with extreme prejudice.

There is not a single hotel employee that has done anything to earn Kevin's abuse beyond do their jobs. Yet he makes them afraid they will be murdered if they dare step out of line. This is shameful.

However, where the movie is really beyond the pale is in regards to Kevin's relationship with "the pigeon lady." This homeless woman isn't even given the dignity of a name in this film. At first, Kevin perceives her with fear and disgust. He attempts to run from her but fumbles and becomes stuck. She helps him and Kevin momentarily shows a glimmer of humanity as he realizes it was wrong to be afraid of her. This moment of empathy is brief however as Kevin's selfishness and sociopathy does not allow for any actual understanding of anyone below his social class.

This woman explains that she wasn't always homeless. She once had a home and a man she loved very much but it ended badly. This incident gave her PTSD and now she is distrustful of others and is unable to function in society. She calmly and bravely opens up to Kevin about her past trauma and her subsequent dehumanization in an uncaring society that forsakes the mentally ill. And do you know how Kevin responds? He says yeah, he gets it, because he's the youngest in his disgusting family. He then tells her to get over it and that only by opening herself up to love again will she ever not be a homeless lady covered in bird shit again. Straight up, to her vulnerable face, Kevin tells a homeless woman that she is responsible for her own prolonged destitution and that if she wants people to treat her better she needs to get over her mental illness. Kevin then goes home to his luxury hotel where he has every whim of his indulged by service workers he humiliates.

Seriously, he has unlimited money. He couldn't have gotten her a place to stay? Or invited her to stay with him? He couldn't share his unlimited food with her? He didn't even offer to let her take a shower. He descends from his nearly-llteral ivory tower, blames a shit covered mentally ill homeless woman who suffers nonstop dehumanization that she needs to get over her PTSD, and at the end of a movie he gives her a fucking bird ornament to show her how much he cares about her. How does he sleep at night in his king size bed at The Plaza Hotel knowing that someone who opened up to him about her inescapable poverty and trauma is sleeping on the street in the cold? What is wrong with this monster?

Home Alone 2 is a perverse Christmas Carol. It is the story of a spoiled rich young boy whose time with the working class and the poor motivates him to torment or abandon them. Even his supposedly virtuous gesture of preventing the toy store robbery costs him nothing. It's not his money. It's not his donation. Kevin does nothing except take a tour of what it's like to be less fortunate than him and live it up in a Trump Hotel.

The Wet Bandits were right to want to kill Kevin and I always hope they catch him. 😡

Where is she even supposed to put that bird ornament?? She doesn't have a Christmas tree. She is homeless. She is surrounded at all times by actual, living birds. What does she want a fake one for?? Fuck you Kevin.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
The two movies are my favourite Christmas movies.

A friend of mine hates the second movie because he considers it racist.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
They are unbelievably shitty people all around. Buzz embarrassed Kevin in front of the entire school performance but no one gets mad at him. Kevin pushes back and he's irredeemable.

I didn't care for how Kevin's parents just sat there as his entire extended family called him names in the beginning of the first movie. A 40+ year-old, grown-ass man calling an 8-year-old kid a "little jerk" with no pushback smh

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
I understand the terrible implications now as an adult, but as a kid, it was one of my favorite Christmas movies.

Makes me wish Tecmo made a Home Alone themed successor to Deception.

Deleted member 20892

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

You want a child to invite a complete stranger into his hotel room to shower?

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Don't care what anybody says. Home Alone 2 is the best Home Alone movie.

tenor.gif

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
However, where the movie is really beyond the pale is in regards to Kevin's relationship with "the pigeon lady."

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
I just watched these last week and god damn---these guys would be dead ten times over.

Agreed. Home Alone 2 was just a copy/paste of the first one, but without any amount of heart.
me and a friend made a drinking game out of it once where we took a shot every time we felt one of them should have died. I think we ended up having to stop after 12 and counted twenty something

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't care for how Kevin's parents just sat there as his entire extended family called him names in the beginning of the first movie. A 40+ year-old, grown-ass man calling an 8-year-old kid a "little jerk" with no pushback smh

All based on taking the word of Buzz as to what had happened. Buzz.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
The brick scene is the best part of the whole movie. It's like an anti-joke. You spend the whole movie looking forward to seeing the new elaborate traps, but the Kevin just throws a brick at their face.

It's almost like something you would see in a parody of Home Alone. It's hilarious.
Harry never getting hit by a single brick while baiting Kevin to throw more only gets funnier and funnier.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Gonna quote myself from the other thread we had...

Absolute christmas classic, tbh. No christmas without them. Love them, warts and all. Yes, they're absurd and they fall apart mostly if you apply a minimum of critical thought about them, but why would you even do that?

and let me bat for HA2 for a second here, by getting a bit personal (I apologize):

I live in the southern hemisphere, where christmas falls in summer. Up until I was 18, I lived in the northern part of Chile, which has the driest desert on Earth. It rained basically a couple of times a year and each rainfall usually lasted minutes, sometimes even an hour, and that'd be it. The only major difference between winter and summer (essentially the only two seasons over there) was how hot or cold it could get, and that's it.

So imagine a kid who has lived is entire brief life in the middle of the desert and has only known christmases with heat and his town is small and dusty, imagine that kid watching Kevin McAllister get lost in fucking New York City. New York! With skyscrapers that blot out the sun, with an insane amount of christmas decorations, with falling snow! With that amazing toystore (that I later learned didn't even exist ffs) that everyone wanted to visit!

I fell in love with the idea of the place without having visited it. I mean, it's... christmas, you know? It looked like what christmases were supposed to look like, something unattainable where I lived. We usually don't get snow, and clearly we don't get snow in december.

It felt magical. I still dream of spending a christmas in NYC, or, hell, anywhere that's north of the equator and gets snow in december. I don't know if it'll ever happen but, hey, at least I can dream.

So... yeah, HA2 might be a stupid retread, almost beat-by-beat, of the first. I don't care. It gave my childhood a dream, and made me yearn for something I never knew I wanted until I saw it, and that I know is difficult to achieve.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Home alone 2 is way better, mostly because it takes place in NYC and I'm a homer.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People keep trying to make me feel guilty about Kevin harming these felons. Don't though, sorry.