• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't necessarily advocate for changing the models. But I think the textures need cleaning up for HD. Not changing the style, but higher resolution so there's no blurriness from upscaling.

Also, Keita does seem interested in touching stuff up for a Katamari HD remaster...

Damn, I would have been there day 1 for a Bluepoint remaster. Katamari certainly deserves it.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
us_inflation.jpg

Oh come on, traditionally these old ass games are considered lower in value and packed into bundles.

The trend lately however has been to milk each consumer for every cent they can spare.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I will get this again anyway. I hope they put all of them on the switch. Never really played any Katamari released anything after the PS2 (and PSP version)

CGriffiths86

Oct 28, 2017
I saw a few people mention it but yes, it seemed like they was definitely some frame rate dropping in the video. There's no way they can't get a stable framerate on an up rezd PS2 game, right?

Also, I need this on PS4.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
Huh, interesting choice. I loved the original, although the criticisms the series was receiving in recent years was that it hasn't moved on much since then, so kinda amusing that the next entry is the first again.

Still, I'll get it. All this Bamco support makes me fully believe that Ridge Racer 8 rumour now.

Nov 21, 2017
Did anyone else think the way they pronounced Damacy was weird in the Direct?

I've always put emphasis on the "Da" not the "ma." Have I been saying it wrong all this time?

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who never got the original as it didn't come out in Europe, I'm glad to finally experience the pure original vision. Sure it would have been nice to have We ❤ Katamari in HD too, but honestly, experiencing Katamari in general again with clean HD visuals and shorter load times is all I really need.

sixteen-bit

Oct 30, 2017
Definitely grabbing this on PC when I get the chance. The soundtrack alone is one of the best ever, and this game makes me feel really good.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
But what is bad about these games after the second game? Content, gameplay, or some other thing?

Me & My Katamari took a hit because the PSP controls aren't really designed for Katamari-style gameplay, since it lacks the second analog stick. It's also pretty short. Beautiful Katamari had a ridiculous number of worlds locked behind DLC. Touch My Katamari suffered mostly from severe asset reuse, and the back-touch controls for squishing the Katamari didn't really add much to the game.

I don't really know why Katamari Forever got dinged, though. It's basically a Katamari Greatest Hits.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Many other games in the livestream look bad, because it's a livestream with heavy traffic.

When in-game, you don't notice the issues.
Yeah, they definitely had some problem with the capturing... Even the classic remasters shown in that direct looked like 15 fps. Wonder why they didn't get that fixed because the framerate of anything off the switch seemed fine on the stream for me.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really know why Katamari Forever got dinged, though. It's basically a Katamari Greatest Hits.

Before I continue I want to say I really enjoyed Forever. It was a great game and miles better then, say, the vita one. However it being a "greatest hits" lost part of Katamari that I loved from the first two games. The overall feel/art and story of the games. Now I know that kind of thing is subjective but it is also why the first game is still my favorite one in the series even though it probably has the least "content". It was literally a perfect game to me that I feel completely satisfied every time I play it. The games were/are more then just the levels themselves to me so having a collection of more levels without the other background stuff isn't what I am looking for. For the record I consider We Love as a perfect sequel, but there are still things I enjoy more about the first game over it.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
A lot of the trophies in Forever are very difficult and/or annoying, and that spoiled my enjoyment somewhat.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also, I need this on PS4.
Physical Release for PS4 Nanco.....pls!!
is port begging ok now?

According to the fact sheet it's 60fps.
i can't remember, was the original 60 or 30 fps?

Before I continue I want to say I really enjoyed Forever. It was a great game and miles better then, say, the vita one. However it being a "greatest hits" lost part of Katamari that I loved from the first two games. The overall feel/art and story of the games. Now I know that kind of thing is subjective but it is also why the first game is still my favorite one in the series even though it probably has the least "content". It was literally a perfect game to me that I feel completely satisfied every time I play it. The games were/are more then just the levels themselves to me so having a collection of more levels without the other background stuff isn't what I am looking for. For the record I consider We Love as a perfect sequel, but there are still things I enjoy more about the first game over it.
well said. sometimes a game is more than the sum of its parts, and the first game was a full package that just made sense the way it was. it wasn't a bunch of levels that you can reuse in a "greatest" hits game.

Last edited:

mztik

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
The game was $20 when it was originally released for the PS2 in North America. It would be funny if this remaster is sold for more. Inflation, I guess. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game was $20 when it was originally released for the PS2 in North America. It would be funny if this remaster is sold for more. Inflation, I guess. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
it's 30, so a little more. it seems like the game's price was increased from 20 to 30 for the ps2 version too after it became a hit, according to some people itt

Mr. Sam

Oct 26, 2017
I'm wondering if I'd be better served getting a copy of Katamari Forever, expensive as it is for a used game.

Then again, We <3 Katamari is one of my favourite games and the original never got a UK release, so this'd be cool if only for the novelty.

Mr. Shakedown

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati, OH

The original came out in 2004, which was 14 years ago. $30 is not unreasonable at all, if for no other reason than inflation. Not to mention that the Switch has a completely different architecture from the PS2 so it's not like they pressed a "PORT" button and boom it's ready to ship, lol.

Nav

Oct 27, 2017
If this is $20 like Okami HD, roll me up!

Otherwise, I beat the game on PS2. Will probably stick to that version. But the HD Rumble and Gyro on an already amazing game are awesome.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong but this is the first Katamari game since Touch My Katamari, right? And the first ever Katamari game to appear on a Nintendo platform.

Good. I really missed the franchise. Played Touch on Vita for hours thinking it's the last game in the series. I'll be there day 1.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong but this is the first Katamari game since Touch My Katamari, right? And the first ever Katamari game to appear on a Nintendo platform.

Good. I really missed the franchise. Played Touch on Vita for hours thinking it's the last game in the series. I'll be there day 1.
there was one or two bad mobile games in between, but yeah otherwise you're correct

Ripcord

Oct 30, 2017
This was my favorite announcement in the direct. Gonna day one this so hard. I haven't played any of the Katamari's since We <3.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
These aren't the Panic Katamari shirts. The Panic shirts were I believe designed by Keita Takahashi himself, and sold through the Panic.com store.

80513686_3a288f8b9b.jpg

1422429-silver_kd.jpg

Untitled-1.png

Best game t-shirts ever (okay, maybe the only good game shirts ever).

I got the yellow one for free when my Ni No Kuni CE order was botched.

The rest of those... meh.

JunkerWoland

Jun 8, 2018
Cool news, and generally speaking I wouldn't mind a HD update, but I'll probably hold-off a bit and see if we get a PS4 release.

MetalKhaos

Oct 31, 2017
Typically I'm not into pre-ordering, but looks like I'll be doing that here. Get it all paid up early so once it's out just grab and go.

Going for Switch physical first and then will absolutely download on PC once it's on sale enough.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I am interested in what they'll do for the save selection screen, since they aren't just Namco anymore.

I focus on things like this.
i can't remember, was the original 60 or 30 fps?

Judging by some PCSX2 footage I found, I think it was 30 FPS. Don't quote me on that, though.

Last edited:

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
nsr.gif

We're still talking about the Switch, god knows how the end product will look like, sub 720p res Handheld or sub 1080 docked is almost normal with like 80% of the Switches library.... Sadly.
For PS2 era ports? The switch can comfortably handle this at 1080p docked and 720p native. If it doesn't, it won't be hardware limitations.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
nsr.gif

We're still talking about the Switch, god knows how the end product will look like, sub 720p res Handheld or sub 1080 docked is almost normal with like 80% of the Switches library.... Sadly.
Like every previous gen+ remaster is 1080p/720p (Dark Souls, Versepria, Okami, etc). This will be too.