• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Goes into the tropes and influences that went into the construction of Attack on Titan, whether there's the subtext of endorsing antisemitism, imperialism and fascism, whether this is all just military propaganda and juxtaposing that with Japan going harder right over the last decade.

Video is 20 minutes long but I think it's worth watching. It's really hard to ignore some of this stuff.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
I look forward to watching this.

Anime often gets hella political, but people consuming it sometimes seem blissfully unaware.

Sometimes the writers themselves.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Before I watch, is this another regurgitation of the "AOT does fascist apologetics" thing?

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
The series is explicitly anti-fascist. Like, it's not subtle about it.

Also I can already foresee this thread being a shitshow of people posting hot takes without knowing anything about what the series is actually doing.

Yep, SPECIALLY if the video is framed as "Up to the latest anime episode" and ignoring the upcoming twists and turns

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't believe there was any attempt to justify Japan's history or be military propaganda, nor to be antisemitic. Much of the third season and this current one are very much anti-fascism and this last season in particular has been very critical of nationalism and propaganda. So not sure why that is being ignored.

However, and saying this as a fan of the show, there has been a carelessness to at least the current framing of the Eldian persecution and the building conflict. There's the potential that what's there now isn't the whole story, and it has changed in a minor fashion at a couple points so far. Yet we can only judge what is there now, and what's there now can be a bit uncomfortable with the parallels but framing the more reprehensible side and actions as somewhat justified.

And that is kind of where the issues of AoT begin and end, on how responsible those parallels are utilized.

I'm curious if other shows that cross into that territory like Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood received similar scrutiny, which I'd argue leaned far more into the military propaganda element and attributed the sins of such establishments to the supernatural rather than the people. Another great show I have a lot of love for, but it hits the ground running with it's parallels compared to other shows like AoT.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Before I watch, is this another regurgitation of the "AOT does fascist apologetics" thing?

Also I can already foresee this thread being a shitshow of people posting hot takes without knowing anything about what the series is actually doing.

Is it true he was caught using an anonymous account to voice support of far right nationalism? I know I read that, but the source I read it from seems to have deleted it.

I also know the character Dot Pixis drew some fire when it came to light he was based on an actual person from Imperial Japan.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
oh wait, so it's not endorsing anti-semitism? I feared it would have from what I heard. ain't gonna say anymore because spoilers.

No. A reading of anti-semitic subtext is possible based on individual aspects, but taking the series as a whole, it's an ultimately uncharitable reading. The series borrows historical imagery and ideas, and since this is a Japanese work done from a native Japanese perspective it's not necessarily deftly handled, but doesn't aspire to anything approaching allegory (esp. not one that espouses anti-semitism).

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017

As a fan of the show, I kind of agree with the argument the video makes that the text of the show is anti-fascist, but the subtext of the show often gets caught in fascist themes. I think it's a valid point to bring up. I agree with the ultimate conclusion of the video - Isayama isn't trying to tel a fascist story, but he is careless with how he utilizes real world imagery.

unknownspectator

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
No. A reading of anti-semitic subtext is possible based on individual aspects, but taking the series as a whole, it's an ultimately uncharitable reading. The series borrows historical imagery and ideas, and since this is a Japanese work done from a native Japanese perspective it's not necessarily deftly handled, but doesn't aspire to anything approaching allegory.
ah, I see. alright, I guess I should finish it then.

Manu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Is it true he was caught using an anonymous account to voice support of far right nationalism? I know I read that, but the source I read it from seems to have deleted it.

I also know the character Dot Pixis drew some fire when it came to light he was based on an actual person from Imperial Japan.
It was never confirmed, yet people still use it to spout "the author is a literal fascist!" every chance they can, despite his work saying the literal opposite (and also everything he's said publically since in interviews and such.)

Like the video only covers what happened in the anime so far, but the latest arc in the manga isn't subtle about its message being of tolerance and acceptance, and the dangers of othering and dehumanizing your enemies.

I understand these issues popping out when they were new in the manga, but it's been years since and the way the story has progressed should be proof enough that there are no fascist undertones, at least not intentionally.

As a fan of the show, I kind of agree with the argument the video makes that the text of the show is anti-fascist, but the subtext of the show often gets caught in fascist themes. I think it's a valid point to bring up. I agree with the ultimate conclusion of the video - Isayama isn't trying to tel a fascist story, but he is careless with how he utilizes real world imagery.
This however, I can agree with.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
I don't believe there was any attempt to justify Japan's history or be military propaganda, nor to be antisemitic. Much of the third season and this current one are very much anti-fascism and this last season in particular has been very critical of nationalism and propaganda. So not sure why that is being ignored.

However, and saying this as a fan of the show, there has been a carelessness to at least the current framing of the Eldian persecution and the building conflict. There's the potential that what's there now isn't the whole story, and it has changed in a minor fashion at a couple points so far. Yet we can only judge what is there now, and what's there now can be a bit uncomfortable with the parallels but framing the more reprehensible side and actions as somewhat justified.

And that is kind of where the issues of AoT begin and end, on how responsible those parallels are utilized.

I'm curious if other shows that cross into that territory like Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood received similar scrutiny, which I'd argue leaned far more into the military propaganda element and attributed the sins of such establishments to the supernatural rather than the people. Another great show I have a lot of love for, but it hits the ground running with it's parallels compared to other shows like AoT.
FMA: B absolutely criticizes the militaristic aspects of their society, multiple times, to a degree of saying to Mustang that him becoming Führer wont change much, and a new system needs to happen.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
It'll never cease being bizarre to read/watch dozens upon dozens of chapters that so clearly portray the horrors of fascism, racism, war, and so forth, from a smaller, personal scale to massive ones, and yet "what if we act like it's intended to be an allegory first and foremost, never just inspired by the real world, and go ham!?"

Just the last episode had the whole 'Shinzozu Sasageyo' (dedicate your hearts) mantra turned on its head, in what couldn't be any more clearly anti-fascist. Like anyone's supposed to look at that and go "oh yeah, I'm with THOSE guys now!"

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019

Yea this is basically my takeaway, I disagree with a lot of the points he makes in the video but he's right that Isayama was careless with the imagery

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FMA: B absolutely criticizes the militaristic aspects of their society, multiple times, to a degree of saying to Mustang that him becoming Führer wont change much, and a new system needs to happen.

This is true but it's more that FMA goes with the idea that the real cause of the Amestrian wars is Father, an evil supernatural monster man pulling the country's strings.

Which is true, but it's also a fantasy narrative and the genocide of Ishbal is never treated as acceptable (albeit it's weird that all of Amestris was just, like, completely okay with it, seemingly).

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I mean AOT's socio-political issues are that parallels are sometimes used irresponsibly and that Isayama isn't a fan of didactic storytelling which he tries to use as little as possible although his opinions slip in every now and then to tell you when something is wrong.

Basically, Isayama does leave a certain amount of interpretation that leaves it open for actual fascist fans to insert their interpretations of the story to twist the story into being way more sinister than it actually is.

But I'd say that the story is anti-fascist but can come off as fascist if you ignore parts of the story in order to get the lesson that you want out of it.

Just the last episode had the whole 'Shinzozu Sasageyo' (dedicate your hearts) mantra turned on its head, in what couldn't be clearly any more anti-fascism. Like anyone's supposed to look at that and go "oh yeah, I'm with THOSE guys now!"

Well.....we got people in the anime threads that say they identify with those guys. Plenty of anime-only reactors too.

They ignore the implications and just see the hypeness of it. People see what they want to see.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
It'll never cease being bizarre to read/watch dozens upon dozens of chapters that so clearly portray the horrors of fascism, racism, war, and so forth, from a smaller, personal scale to massive ones, and yet "what if we act like it's intended to be an allegory first and foremost, never just inspired by the real world, and go ham!?"

Just the last episode had the whole 'Shinzozu Sasageyo' (dedicate your hearts) mantra turned on its head, in what couldn't be clearly any more anti-fascism. Like anyone's supposed to look at that and go "oh yeah, I'm with THOSE guys now!"

Anime and manga fans absolutely where supporting this at the time.

"Eren is clearly playing us all" said a lot of manga readers before the truth of what Eren actually is was undeniable, we have anime onlies in this very site support Eren because he still has some plausible deniability.

Everything, and I do mean everything regarding Eren's true face is revealed once he finally obtains power. Which is not subtle messaging at all.

But yes the "Sasageyo" suddenly devolving into a Heil Hitler-like salute was also not subtle in any way, but it took much more for fans to jump ship on Yeagerism.

Hell MANY are still mad because the series is building up what they call a "Shitty Marvel ending" where the non fascist actually win against the godly super powered tyrant with a desperate struggle based on finally talking to each other and setting aside their history of war.

Last edited:

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It does, and again I love the show and wouldn't if it completely disregarded that approach. I didn't intend to say it didn't address it at all, but rather that much of it gets attached to a certain aspect of the show that sort of robs responsibility. Even if it comes down to the point that those who did kickstart many of those issues are closer to the everyman than they and others would like to believe and that those everyman struggle with the actions they took under/following those others.

May 30, 2018
This is true but it's more that FMA goes with the idea that the real cause of the Amestrian wars is Father, an evil supernatural monster man pulling the country's strings.

Which is true, but it's also a fantasy narrative and the genocide of Ishbal is never treated as acceptable (albeit it's weird that all of Amestris was just, like, completely okay with it, seemingly).

The War criminals in FMAB get off way too easy it's crazy. Mustang becomes Fuhrer, when he, Armstrong, and Hawkeye need to be in prison for what they did to Ishval

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017

"Eren is clearly playing us all" said a lot of manga readers before the truth of what Eren actually is was undeniable, we have anime onlies in this very site support Eren because he still has some plausible deniability.

Everything, and I do mean everything regarding Eren's true face is revealed once he finally obtains power. Which is not subtle messaging at all.

But yes the "Sasageyo" suddenly devolving into a Heil Hitler-like salute was also not subtle in any way, but it took much more for fans to jump ship on Yeagerism.

I mean, good for them idiots to not get even the most obvious of hints. Doesn't mean the author or his story is at fault there.

Besides, one strong point of that franchise is that it does get some people hyped about things that are pretty messed up and then goes in hard on them. If at that point they still don't see any fault then, well, not the smartest tools in the shed.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well.....we got people in the anime threads that say they identify with those guys. Plenty of anime-only reactors too.

They ignore the implications and just see the hypeness of it. People see what they want to see.

Honestly, I always use Breaking Bad as my barometer. "How did people react to Walter's character in Breaking Bad, and is there any difference in [other media where the protagonists may not be heroic]?"

With BB, TONS of people hyped Walter up and associated with him. I think this is to be expected, but it's also part of the point of the media. Make people fall in love with the bad guys & then show them how they fell into that trap. Hopefully they avoid it in real life.

The War criminals in FMAB get off way too easy it's crazy. Mustang becomes Fuhrer, when he, Armstrong, and Hawkeye need to be in prison for what they did to Ishval

Supernatural stuff aside, this is maybe one of the most accurate things that happened.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
Yea this is basically my takeaway, I disagree with a lot of the points he makes in the video but he's right that Isayama was careless with the imagery
so it's like Legend of Galatic heroes?

I still find it strange that people keep pushing this antisemitism idea on AoT

Deleted member 52442

Banned
Jan 24, 2019

I cant answer this because I actually just started watched Legend of the Galactic heroes lol

but yeah, the series doesn't really seem to be trying to 1:1 equate the Eldians with jewish people at all, but because of the armband imagery the comparison has been invited and lead to misconceptions over the years. Unfortunate and careless

Dio

Oct 25, 2017

it feels like the series scratches it a bit, when Edward posits that a more imperialistic turn happened since King Bradley became Führer, which bothered him, but you're correct. I wouldn't say it's hand-waived, but the onus of making the amestrian society understand that ends up falling on the shoulders of Ishbalians in the series.
It does, and again I love the show and wouldn't if it completely disregarded that approach. I didn't intend to say it didn't address it at all, but rather that much of it gets attached to a certain aspect of the show that sort of robs responsibility. Even if it comes down to the point that those who did kickstart many of those issues are closer to the everyman than they and others would like to believe and that those everyman struggle with the actions they took under/following those others.
i mean, it's not gratuitous(not saying you're implying it), so i don't feel that the show is saying "only this person is solely responsible", but i do get your point.
That's literally Mustang's goal.
ikr? Hawkeye literally explains to Ed that the whole point of Mustang becoming Führer is to judge everyone who participated in the war.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
He claims the Titans have "large hook-like noses". Is he for real?

'

Bruh, look at them hooked noses!

Does he really not get that the Titans are drawn realistically and somewhat exaggerated to make them seem more horrifying, which is gonna contrast them to the more stylized human characters? Real people have noses of varying sizes. Naturally, that is gonna make the Titan's noses seem somewhat exaggerated compared to the human characters. Is someone making a fancy pants 20 minute video essay about an anti-war shonen manga/anime really this thick?

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought he gets promoted or something and gets to work rebuilding Ishval?

Certainly don't remember any jail stuff for them

Yeah basically Mustang's goal, as Hawkeye explains it to Ed after the Ishval flashback, is that Mustang wants to become Fuhrer so he can immediately dissolve the military dictatorship and hand power back to Parliament, and judge everyone who fought in Ishval as war criminals.

Apparently there was an artbook that confirmed, haven't read it for myself just found it elsewhere, that
Mustang succeeds in his goals, but come his trial he's pardoned for his role in saving Amestris from Father.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

No one is pushing that the writer intended anti-semitism, but it's imagery can appear anti-Semitic due to how carelessly the imagery was used. Imo it's just another example of a racism allegory that doesn't work, but to this day I haven't seen a racism allegory that does work.

OP
OP
WrenchNinja

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

'

Did you watch the video and listen? He's not saying that they're only depicted that way

"The race of monsters that are often depicted with large hooked noses"

As he says this, he shows a scene of a Titan with a large hooked nose attacking someone

This is the kind of plausible deniability that lets antisemitism slip past in media

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I thought he gets promoted or something and gets to work rebuilding Ishval?

Certainly don't remember any jail stuff for them

He does get promoted and he does work on rebuilding Ishval.

We never see him in jail. He says earlier on that his goal was to get everyone who participated in Ishval to answer for their crimes once he becomes Fuhrer. I believe it's confirmed that he does go through with but Mustang and Hawkeye get pardoned for what they did for Ishval and Amestris afterward.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Did you watch the video and listen? He's not saying that they're only depicted that way

As he says this, he shows a scene of Titan with a large hooked nose attacking someone

This is the kind of plausible deniability that lets antisemitism slip past in media

I did watch it, yes. The use of often doesn't change my point whatsoever, and pointing out my forgetting to include it is a classic bit of missing the forest for the trees nitpickery. They're not "often" depicted with large hooked noses, and his one example of the one comically grossly proportioned baby man Titan (who doesn't even have a hook nose. He has a large, thick nose when you look at it from a different perspective. My bloody nose is more hook-like than that, and it's not even remotely a "hook" nose), doesn't prove that to be the case. You need more than one example, and his example seems pretty carefully chosen to support his argument, and ignores the 100s of other Titans with noses of varying sizes and shapes. Again, the Titans all have a set of realistic and exaggerated features to make them seem more monstrous, that is contrasted with the softer, stylized features of the main cast. Claiming they often have specifically hook-like noses as part of an allegory to anti-semitic propaganda is spurious.

Last edited:

Deleted member 52442

Banned
Jan 24, 2019

As he says this, he shows a scene of a Titan with a large hooked nose attacking someone

They are definitely not OFTEN depicted with big noses

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

'

Isayama talked about his inspirations for the titans some years ago:

4.- What was the inspirations for the titans?
Isayama="The original concept comes from a carnival Mona Lisa that was in NUBE &The master from Hell. There was this Mona Lisa on this painting and she will come out from it and eat the people. I saw that in Elementary school and I was horrified by it. Now that's the origin of the basic concept but when it comes to drawing them I look at random pictures of people on magazines or stuff like that and I use their expressions. I picked them by their face expression and I look for a unpleasant look. If you look the titans don't change their faces from the moment they encounter someone until they kill them. They never stop smiling. Kind of as if they were expressionless but since they never change they give the opposite effect. It gives a obnoxious emotion and I choose to do it that way for that reason, the more nasty the better. Also is not that I want them to be scary as hell but also they can seem funny even on a level of stupidity some people might find them that way except that everyone decides how they want to see them as and either or I just wanted to show something weird. When it comes to the titans fighting scenes well, I like mixed martial arts like the UFC industry. They were part of my influence as well."

GI49PYN.jpg

iXL8LfV.jpg

And yeah, the series is fully anti-fascism, anti-racism, but Isayama for all his brilliancy was careless with the use of imagery

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017

So if like a handful out of several hundreds of Titans, who just about all have grossly disfigured or at least disproportional bodies, have noses that could be described as large and hooked, that's supposed to be a legitimate argument in favor of the supposed antisemitism? We're probably talking <= 5%, maybe even much less than that.

That's about as bad-faith of an argument as it gets, honestly.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017

Hell MANY are still mad because the series is building up what they call a "Shitty Marvel ending" where the non fascist actually win against the godly super powered tyrant with a desperate struggle based on finally talking to each other and setting aside their history of war.
I mean the whole manga started from his PoV and it's kind of a trope that you have the reader identify with the protagonist.
On top of that, Eren is shown as the chosen one.
While a lot of characters start to see that there's a HUGE problem with that insane guy being the chosen one, they're mostly shown in a negative light.
And then Eren do warcrimes and then you have people who were rooting for him all this time that either realize that they put on a pedestal a literal monster (with some tells that could be dismissed as "the author is not doing the usual stuffs so the part of Eren that's off is really just the flavor of AoT being unlike other mangas) or they choose to refuse that Eren is indeed a goddamn bastard that needs to be put down like all villains.

It's interesting in a way because we can make a parallel with the real world where you have people cheering literal fascist autocrats unironically and we have a case study on how that can happen even if the genocidal autocrat is fictional.

Like seriously that a significant part of the AoT fandom could cheer for the monster that wears Eren's skin should scare the shit out of anyone who will then realize they have to share their democracies with them.
If they can cheer for a genocidal autocrat in make-believe world when it's clearly presented to them that the genocidal autocrat is wrong, it's absolutely clear that people who follow real life genocidal autocrats will never be swayed back to reason.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
The explicitly evil, fascist government in FMA:B never punished Hawkeye, Riza, Hughes, etc for the horrifying attack they were ordered to carry out against Ishval but they spend the entire series telling the audience again, again, again and again that the attack was genocide and murder, and even though it was puppeteered by an evil entity, those characters all repeatedly say "this still does not wash my hands of being a participant".

Mustang and crew's conversations with each other are consistently reflecting on their deeds, wondering if they deserve to be free or happy after what they've done and in the end of the series, Roy's entire future is focused on rebuilding Ishval.

So yeah, you can say "Roy still should have ended up in jail", justice was never done. But one of my favorite aspects of the series is it's willingness to unpack and discuss that.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Isayama talked about his inspirations for the titans some years ago:

GI49PYN.jpg

iXL8LfV.jpg

And yeah, the series is fully anti-fascism, anti-racism, but Isayama for all his brilliancy was careless with the use of imagery

I mean, that's obvious, and I said so twice above. That statement doesn't however support the idea that exaggerated hook-like noses is a explicitly common feature of the Titans, as opposed to their general exaggerated features.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
Also a lot of the Titans are based on real people. The whole cast of GoT is spread around, as well as Saul Goodman from Better Call Saul

ELC4Zw3UEAAjDvb.png

OP
OP
WrenchNinja

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I did watch it, yes. The use of often doesn't change my point whatsoever, and is missing the forest for the trees. They're not "often" depicted with large hooked noses, and his one example of the one comically grossly proportioned baby man Titan (who doesn't even have a hook nose. He has a large nose when you look at it from a different perspective. My bloody nose is more hook-like than that, and it's not even remotely a "hook" nose), doesn't prove that to be the case. You need more than one example, and his example seems pretty carefully chosen to support his argument, and ignores the 100s of other Titans with noses of varying sizes and shapes. Again, the Titans have realistic and exaggerated features to make them seem more monstrous. Claiming they often have hook-like noses as part of a allegory to Jewish propaganda is spurious.
They are definitely not OFTEN depicted with big noses
So if like a handful out of several hundreds of Titans, who just about all have grossly disfigured or at least disproportional bodies, have noses that could be described as large and hooked, that's supposed to be a legitimate argument in favor of the supposed antisemitism? We're probably talking <= 5%, maybe even much less than that.

That's about as bad-faith of an argument as it gets, honestly.
A little bit here, a little bit there, hence plausible deniability. If you don't want to believe there is even a chance of it, especially with every other weird choice done with this manga/anime, that is your choice.