• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Manu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I know, I know it's on me at least in part, I should've checked before but come on, even Bamco's zero budget Digimon games have a translation of some sort. Atlus really don't give a fuck huh? How is it possible that in the year 2017 a high profile JRPG can release without a translation to one of the most spoken languages in the world? Fucking Kickstarter indie games have spanish subs 99% of the time.

My SO was really looking forward to trying the game and even encouraged me to buy it, because the artstyle and aesthetic are right down her alley. Now she can't play it, and I'm not gonna be an asshole and play the game by myself. I guess into the backlog it goes. Money down the toilet. I'm so fucking angry. Sorry for the rant.

For context: A game not having Spanish subs was a concern last gen and before that. Every single game I've bought this gen with the exception of Persona 5 has had a Spanish translation, at least subs if a dub is not available, even if the quality of such translation wasn't the best. It's been years since it's been something I had to actively worry over.

So yeah, I should've checked, but you also need to understand I haven't had to do it in a long, long time. It's Atlus who are being backwards here.

Last edited:

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Same problem with Ace Attorney. I don't speak or read Spanish however, the amount of replies I see to every Ace Attorney Twitter account complaining about the lack of Spanish translations is a lot.

Deleted member 26768

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
literally how many jrpg's release with E+FIGS translation? Get off your high horse lmao.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
It's a Japan Studio making a JRPG. There are a lot of Japanese games that won't have English subs.

Last edited:

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Off topic console wars
I'm still shocked that game is exclusive. It doesn't make any sense for a third party title to be platform exclusive nowadays - platforms are so similar architecturally that I doubt the cost of porting is higher than the marginal income.

Strange decisions from that company tbh

Panou

Oct 27, 2017
No French subtitles neither, although 99% of the games releasing nowadays have some.
But Persona 5 Royal should rectify this mistake.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe if Persona didn't sell like shit here, it would get subs.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
It's pretty interesting the game doesn't have a sub/dub in anything except english. I expect P6 will get it.

It is on you to check though. Pretty sure KH3 also only had an English dub.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
literally how many jrpg's release with E+FIGS translation? Get off your high horse lmao.
Throw it on the pile with their homophobia and transphobia that Era doesn't seem to care about because "durrr good game"
imagine having such a bone to pick with P5 and need to insult its fans or Atlus that you think this is relevant to a thread about spanish subs
It's relevant to every thread about this game. They need to be called out CONSTANTLY
Gonna agree with Ziggy here. No reason for Atlus to get a pass when it's one of the very few development studios pulling this kind of shit.

If anything, everyone denying these problems or thinking they don't matter should take a step back and think about things.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Wanting to be literally able to play a game I paid money for is a "high horse"? Fuck off.

Why would you assume Persona 5 has this option out of all games? This isn't exactly a genre filled to the brim with games featuring multiple language options. Maybe do some research before impulse buying a game?

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait.

Atlus takes FOREVER to do western releases and they cant even do full EFIGS's translations?

Christ.

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
You know what's worse? Buying the Latin American version of any game with Castilian Spanish Dub as the only Spanish option.

Joder!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it happens sometimes rarely but it does, all the Yakuza games dont include spanish subs, mostly because they have immense ammount of text but its no excuse.
Even Shenmue 3 with its kickstarter budget included spanish subs, its not perfect translation, but at least its there.

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that sucks. Judgement having FIGS subs was a huge deal that not enough people talked about.

Get a refund, this shit it not ok.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Again, I'm talking subs, not a dub. I'm not expecting a dub. Just basic-ass subtitles. Most games even with super low budgets have them.

I can play it myself, but I was gonna play it with someone else who now will be left out. I don't really want to do that.

I don't think it's unreasonable to want subs.

Obviously you need to check these things before buying though.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Do non-AAA regularly get non-English subs? Genuinely asking. I figure subs should be the least they could do, dubs I could understand.

And I'm assuming your SO doesn't know English? In that case, you really should've triple checked that.

Edit: I see someone posted a list, yeah, maybe Royal will rectify this? Though I wouldn't hold my breath.

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
it's all on you if you don't check before buying what kind of dumb ass logic is this ?

Dhoom

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Why would a JRPG have Spanish subs? Your English is fine enough to complain so I guess you can still play the game. Next time do some research.

Nov 23, 2017
Wahhh I can't talk about my game that spreads hateful stereotypes! I just want to ignore these harmful issues and enjoy it with absolutely no critical thinking!
Oh, ok, you're just a brat who thinks you're better than people on the internet cause they don't have your particular moral crusade. Got it.

again...
this thread is about spanish subs. it's against the rules to derail a thread.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna agree with Ziggy here. No reason for Atlus to get a pass when it's one of the very few development studios pulling this kind of shit.

If anything, everyone denying these problems or thinking they don't matter should take a step back and think about things.
It's a problem and should be dealt with but you and ziggy are wrong, this is not the thread for that and clogging it up with it doesn't make sense.

OP this one is on you, It should have an option for it but you should have also done research to make sure.
Yet Era constantly condones this shit because they need their dumb anime tropes. Jfc anyone who considers themselves an "ally" and plays this game is a fucking hypocrite.
Fuck off with that bullshit. Someone can still play these games and have issues with it as well.

Oct 29, 2017
Some of you people are absolutely terrible. I know someone said a bad word about a company that publishes your anime games but fuck me, have a bit of understanding at his frustration, it's very easy when you speak English and a massive part of the market is catered towards you but not everyone has that luxury, OP is understandably disappointed as he was hoping to enjoy this with his partner, you don't need to whinge at him for it.

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
User banned (permanent): Off-topic trolling, derailing, and inflammatory accusations against other members over a series of posts + numerous previous bans for trolling and hostility
It's a problem and should be dealt with but you and ziggy are wrong, this is not the thread for that and clogging it up with it doesn't make sense.

OP this one is on you, It should have an option for it but you should have also done research to make sure.Fuck off with that bullshit. Someone can still play these games and have issues with it as well.
no you can't. If you're playing this game you're actively condoning homophobia and transphobia. But keep telling yourself otherwise.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, ive said this multiple times in this forum (that doesnt give a fuck mostly because english speaking language) but fuck atlus for not trying to localize (as in subs, not dubs) their anime rpgs in spanish, french, german and italian.
Europe love anime rpgs but atlus will never get that inside their stupid skull.

The thing is nearly EVERYONE even the smallest indies with games with tons of text are localizing in europe, while atlys thing we are still in the n64 days of not giving to damns.
And they want me to pay a higher price than the market for which the game has been localized?

Same for fe x smt. Fuck atlus.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Shenmue 3 has French, Italian, German, Spanish, Portuguese, and Japanese subtitles. Pretty damn good if you ask me.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Dark Souls 1-3
Final Fantasy XV
Kingdom Hearts 3
Tales of Zestiria/Berseria/Vesperia
God Eater
Nier Automata
Code Vein
Dragon Quest XI
Octopath Traveler
Digimon
Ni No Kuni 2

Litterally all the big JRPGS are translated.

Comparing most of those to P5 who had not even a fixed European publisher is laughable at best. And Bandai Namco themselves said that it's not worth it to translate the Tales games to Spanish because the public doesn't give a shit about them. The only J-RPGs people buy here are Final Fantasy games and Pokémon.

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
Dark Souls 1-3
Final Fantasy XV
Kingdom Hearts 3
Tales of Zestiria/Berseria/Vesperia
God Eater
Nier Automata
Code Vein
Dragon Quest XI
Octopath Traveler
Digimon
Ni No Kuni 2

Litterally all the big JRPGS are translated.
Like I said in my previous post, you can add Judgement, which is the first Yakuza game (well you know what I mean) with FIGS subs. Having no subs in the language of the country you release in is a huge issue, it should not be a thing anymore.