• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
This forum does seem to dislike P5 a lot
No, we hate (JP)Atlus' scummy business practices.
At this point I want to say Atlus USA does try to do damage control with old DLC being free, 4 new languages and a partly rewritten script. I wish they had more power, they obviously listen much more to the fans.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Both Divinity Original Sin games got major reworkings for free. Ghost Recon Breakpoint just completely reworked most of the core gameplay systems as a free update last month. Fallout 76 is doing so today with Wastelanders. There are many, many other examples of games being reworked from the ground via free updates.
I don't think you can include GaaS games for comparison, those games rely on continued spending through microtransactions.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I think you'll find your common thread there is also that those games all released on new platforms when they did that, not the same. If Dragon Quest XI tried to sell it's stuff for 60 bucks on PC and PS4, it'd have gotten a lot of shit too (and if you followed discussions about that game's Switch changes, a lot of people were willing to pay for the changes as DLC, just not 60 dollars).

Monster Hunter also just changed that very same business model with Iceborne.
Yeah, fair point (and others who made it).

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Jesus, the amount of straight up insults thrown here is just awful. Some of you need to grow up.

As for the topic, I'm not necessarily sure it could've been made as a DLC per se, but yeah, they should've definitely offered an upgrade route for the owners of the original game at the very least. As always: Fuck Atlus.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
There is absolutely no way the changes they made could have been done through DLC.

The changes are massive, extensive and change a hell of a lot about the game.

They updated the existing code though, we've also had pro patches before. Could easily have been DLC.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I like how people saying "they can't keep getting away with it!!!" are the ones that bought it.

You can be an Atlus fan and see when they're bullshitting too. Plenty of people said the price was ridiculous before release.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
While shitty on its own, that one has at least the excuse of being on a new device, thus being for a new audience.

P5R is one the same console as the original, so it doesn't even have that excuse.
Not an excuse when its the same damn eShop account used to purchase both games. I'm not asking for free copy, but don't charge me $60 again for an original $50 game.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I will never get the folks that comment things like "it's a business" as if

A.) People don't understand that
and
B.) Businesses don't constantly do grody shit all the time.

"It's capitalism, duh!" does not justify or excuse anything.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The only winning move is to not play the game in 2017 and wait till 2020 before you play it for the first time

Which is what I'm doing

Playing most games day 1 gets you the worst experience of the game possible

That said, I agree this is lame, but it will keep happening as long as people double dip

It works, so why would they change course?

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is absolutely no way the changes they made could have been done through DLC.

The changes are massive, extensive and change a hell of a lot about the game.
This is what I've been reading from friends who got it. Said the beginning is full of changes.

The way this thread is written feels like there are no changes whatsoever. Are the changes not big enough for the OP?

I think the business model is a valid discussion, but I don't think it needs hyperbole. The argument holds. At the very least, make it full price for new customers, and give a discount to the ones who have the original.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
I am still surprised how they got away with charging full price without any sort of upgrade or discount option, and having ridiculous amount of paid DLC on top of it.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
This is what I've been reading from friends who got it. Said the beginning is full of changes.

The way this thread is written feels like there are no changes whatsoever. Are the changes not big enough for the OP?

I think the business model is a valid discussion, but I don't think it needs hyperbole. The argument holds. At the very least, make it full price for new customers, and give a discount to the ones who have the original.
I don't know how hard it is to program and integrate this stuff into base game, but new DLC characters are part of the story right from the beginning. You start making bonds with them right off the bat.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I don't plan on picking it up because I had already beat the original and am chipping away at the Plat (and I'd rather get RE3/FF7), but I had been giving it the benefit of the doubt until people's reactions to the slim, new content. Disappointing really. I'll probably pick it up for $20 in a couple years.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
You can totally say this about ports from Wii U, though. Also, Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon.
TMS from WiiU to the expanded edition on Switch, like SMT SJ on 3DS, is another example of Atlus adding new characters and a dungeon and calling it full price, but as pointed out above it's a different platform.

TMS sold so badly on WIIU, I don't blame anyone for re-releasing WiiU games with minimal changes on the Switch as the vast majority of players won't have touched the previous version. It does feel different to a flagship PS4 game re-released on the same system.

Ultimately Atlus's re-release formula is the same across several of their games this gen, but it seems particularly cynical with P5 compared to re-releasing for a new audience across Nintendo's systems.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
I don't think you can include GaaS games for comparison, those games rely on continued spending through microtransactions.

While that is true, all the QoL updates are still free. I don't think anyone is saying that Atlus should not charge for new content that obviously costs money to develop. But the argument here is that it is somehow technically impossible for them to rework the game as DLC or a patch, when many other companies manage to do so.

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018

Seems like OP skipped everything, except palaces. And even then they probably played on the Safe difficulty and skipped boss fights without noticing changes.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Rightly so. Do we know how Tokyo Mirage Sessions did on Switch yet? You always seem like the one to ask these sorts of things. :P
In Japan, it performed worse than the original Wii U version of the game. At least in the UK, it performed slightly better than the original. Overall, probably about the same as the original TMS, so poorly.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
Both Divinity Original Sin games got major reworkings for free. Ghost Recon Breakpoint just completely reworked most of the core gameplay systems as a free update last month. Fallout 76 is doing so today with Wastelanders. There are many, many other examples of games being reworked from the ground via free updates.
Citing online GaaS that failed, really badly, commercially and critically, as your examples, is utter nonsense.

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
I'm so surprised it sold so well outside Japan when the top review on Amazon JP gave it 1 star and told exactly the same things OP did. And here I'm seeing people who already played the original playing Royal.
I finally picked up the original on a PSN Sale and don't think it would differ much from Royal since I guess it at least got a few patches compared to on release.
Is the Pro patch good?

So ATLUS got away with getting a new trophy list - the real reason people replay it?

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so surprised it sold so well outside Japan when the top review on Amazon JP gave it 1 star and told exactly the same things OP did. And here I'm seeing people who already played the original playing Royal.
I finally picked up the original on a PSN Sale and don't think it would differ much from Royal since I guess it at least got a few patches compared to on release.
Is the Pro patch good?
The original game doesn't have a pro patch.

And Royal differs heavily from the original and I honestly cannot go back to the original, just due to the giant, giant combat changes that make the game feel and flow so much better (and that's just one small aspect of the changes to the game).

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
Seems like OP skipped everything, except palaces. And even then they probably played on the Safe difficulty and skipped boss fights without noticing changes.
This is my takeaway as well. There is no credibility in anybody that dismisses or downplays what has been changed in this game as merely a new chapter and some QoL. They clearly skipped everything assuming nothing else changed and didn't bother to actually explore all the new changes and experience anything that was altered.
Is the Pro patch good?
What patches, it got nothing but paid dlc, which is all included free with Royal. You're being mislead on what is in P5R vs vanilla.

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have never played this and would like to.

Is it better to go half price and buy P5 or pay for this?

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Does Persona 5 Scramble have dlc? If so, I may wait for a definitive edition

No it doesn't so far and I think it won't get any except for some music tracks. Complete package etc. but could be that they add Kasumi for DLC.

Scramble is what OP would have rather would like to play. It's Persona 5-2 and a sequel.

I have never played this and would like to.

Is it better to go half price and buy P5 or pay for this?

Get Royal - the QoL improvements and the added content are great. The extra stuff is especially good if you like SMT and is the best content they did those past 10 years or even more imo.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Citing online GaaS that failed, really badly, commercially and critically, as your examples, is utter nonsense.

Divinity Original Sin 1&2 are not GAAS

Xenoblade 2 had qol improvements for free separate from the paid dlc

Yu Gi Oh Legacy of the Duelist Link Evolution got one free update that updated the game to the newest master rule, added 1,000 cards, and added another 25ish story duels.

I will say this, Atlus probably could have gotten less flak for charging $60 for Royal had it been a switch exclusive enhanced port the way 3p and 4g were. Charging $60 on the same console only a few years removed is a lot harder to swallow.